• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria coming to the west on PlayStation 4 and PC!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Based on what we've seen, it looks like on PS4 atleast, the game will be full 1080p 60fps in both overworld and gameplay unlike Zestiria, which is great.

I'm assuming unlike Zestiria, they aren't merely porting to PS4 after the fact, but taking advantage of PS4's grunt during development to boost the framerate as well.

As long as the combat is good, i'll still buy it and likely enjoy it. I like the direction they seem to be going with the Beast main character and her innocent child companion.

Bladelaw

I must be super easy to please. I'm enjoying Tales of Hearts R which got a lot of flak and Zestiria is on my list next. The Tales battle system, even simplified, is what keeps me coming back. It's active and fun even when the AI is acting like a fool.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Werewolfing intensifies

Ascenion

The theme is emotion vs reason? Interesting... Hmm....

Makes sense I think. If I had to guess her werewolf side is probably more emotional/brought out in emotional situations where she loses control. Human side is more rational and reasonable. Also guessing there will be party member that play to these two sides of Velvet.

So, are people happy Tales have become a yearly franchise?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_(series)#Main_series

timeline of release years

1995 Tales of Phantasia
1997 Tales of Destiny
2000 Tales of Eternia
2002 Tales of Destiny 2
2003 Tales of Symphonia
2004 Tales of Rebirth
2005 Tales of Legendia Tales of the Abyss
2007 Tales of Innocence
2008 Tales of Vesperia Tales of Hearts
2009 Tales of Graces
2011 Tales of Xillia
2012 Tales of Xillia 2
2015 Tales of Zestiria
2016 Tales of Berseria

doesn't look like anything has changed to me!

Jenny

Banned

No complaints here, it's my favorite game series and the new games are always my most anticipated game of the year when it releases. I've yet to be disappointed by a Tales game and if they can be released with as much quality are they in imo in that time period then I have no complaints at all because they are great. Though if they want to take some extra time after Berseria then that's fine by me too. (This is my personal subjective opinion if you disagree that's perfectly fine)

I hope they do something with combat. I've become a little turned off of Tales combat games recently. They're just too complicated, and there's no point to all the complication.

You have to read a page-long tutorial every 5 minutes for the first 30 hours of the game, and in the end all you do is just mash X and O and somehow still end up winning every fight. It's like what? Does anyone actually take full advantage of all this stuff? It just seems like unnecessary fluff. Who is gonna sit there and study the elemental weaknesses of every monster and learn how to properly combo, and stun, and quick-evade, and master SC regeneration, and arte-chain, when you can win by spamming O?

It's disappointing in a way because I wish I could get really good at a Tales combat game, but there's no incentive and no reason to do so.

Pumped for this now that I've given Hearts R a solid shot on Vita.

I'm not crazy about it but it definitely sates my hunger for quick and dirty action RPGs on the go. Some of the game systems are a little weird (like setting shortcuts and touch screen macros I can't figure out) but I'm fine with what it is.

Might consider Zesteria if it's on super sale in the future.

rhandino

Banned
I would be happy if the games were getting better but each entry after Xillia has been so messy.

I hope they do something with combat. I've become a little turned off of Tales combat games recently. They're just too complicated, and there's no point to all the complication.

You have to read a page-long tutorial every 5 minutes for the first 30 hours of the game, and in the end all you do is just mash X and O and somehow still end up winning every fight. It's like what? Does anyone actually take full advantage of all this stuff? It just seems like unnecessary fluff. Who is gonna sit there and study the elemental weaknesses of every monster and learn how to properly combo, and stun, and quick-evade, and master SC regeneration, and arte-chain, when you can win by spamming O?

It's disappointing in a way because I wish I could get really good at a Tales combat game, but there's no incentive and no reason to do so.
I hear you, I miss Tales of Graces F combat so much, maybe I will replay it after Xenoblade X =/

NolbertoS

Give me that CE goodness. Its kinda a good and bad thing the Tales series is becoming a yearly yhing. Good that the Tales series is becoming as big as the FF and DQ franchises in popularity. Bad in the sense that Tales games haven't been completely polished and AAA calibre since Symphonia. They're still good games, but not GOATs

Zukkoyaki

I'm not happy they haven't evolved much from Xillia now.
Seriously. Tales used to be one of my favorite series but after the last couple, I've found my enjoyment of them seriously waning. The series desperately needs an overhaul; they still feel and look like PS2 era games.

kewlmyc

Seriously. Tales used to be one of my favorite series but after the last couple, I've found my enjoyment of them seriously waning. The series desperately needs an overhaul; they still feel and look like PS2 era games.

Look, I'm disappointed in what direction Tales has been going in as of late, but saying the games look like PS2 games is just silly.

Ascenion

Abyss ain't got shit on vesperia. Characters and fight mechanics in vesperia are much better than abyss'
Eh, characters are subjective. Combat wise Vesperia has always been a "fixed" Abyss to me, though it's been so long since I've played it I can't remember what it fixed. Imo Vesperia is just Abyss 2 with a worse overarching story, but better everything else. Not sure if I'd say much better though.

Zukkoyaki

Look, I'm disappointing in what direction Tales has been going in as of late, but saying the games look like PS2 games is just silly.
Yes that was hyperbolic of me. But saying the series doesn't look dated as hell is also silly (not saying you are!)

Hopefully I can snag a Collector's Edition this time. Missed the one for Zestiria and I couldn't wait for a restock so I just grabbed the standard edition. The Statues for Xillia and Xillia 2 were pretty nice too, hoping for one of those again.

Banned
Makes sense I think. If I had to guess her werewolf side is probably more emotional/brought out in emotional situations where she loses control. Human side is more rational and reasonable. Also guessing there will be party member that play to these two sides of Velvet.
What if it's the other way around? The werewolf is rational and the human is emotional? #Mindfuck

Jeels

We need to go back to Vesperia's graphics with Graces F battle system. ;_;

I'll keep my eyes on this but I skipped out on Tales after Xillia and I fear I'll skip this too.

kewlmyc

Yes that was hyperbolic of me. But saying the series doesn't look dated as hell is also silly (not saying you are!)

It looks standard to me. Nothing to write home about. They're better looking than say the Neptunia games, but compared to the upcoming P5, Ni no Kuni, and pretty much everything using UE4, it looks mediocre. I would love for them to go back to cel shading since they peaked at Vesperia for me, but I doubt we ever will.

Top Bottom