• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria coming to the west on PlayStation 4 and PC!

Firestorm

Nah, Abyss is FFVIII. Definitely the most polarizing title of the Tales franchise.

FFVII of Tales is either Symphonia or Vesperia. Generally considered one of (if not) the best in the series.
Symphonia is VII. It's a lot of people's first Tales and kicks off sort of the modern Tales era. It's also seen with rose-tinted goggles by many with fond nostalgia.

Shenmue

Banned
Symphonia is VII. It's a lot of people's first Tales and kicks off sort of the modern Tales era. It's also seen with rose-tinted goggles by many with fond nostalgia.

Yeah I think Vesperia is more like X. Touted by many as one of the best, but in actuality not all that special.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Graces= X-2 (people love the gameplay but can't stand the story)

Here's what I can think of:

FFIV - Tales of Rebirth
FFV - ???
FFVI - Tales of Destiny
FFVII - Tales of Symphonia - Aged badly but most popular and considered a classic
DoCFFVII - Tales of Symphonia DotW - Crap game
FFVIII -???
FFIX - Tales of the Abyss - A beloved gem too, but kinda obscured for some reason.
FFX - Tales of Vesperia - Great gem all around, some issues but still great.
FFX-2 - Tales of Graces - Best gameplay but crap story
FFXII - Tales of Xillia - Some people hate it, some people like it. Rushed in the end.
FFXIII - Tales of Zestiria - Incredibly polarizing, It looked like the next coming of FF but it fell flat.

Yeah I agree with this. Was my first Tales game but it had a lot of pacing problems and back tracking I did not enjoy regardless. Also the plot was way too similar to FFX to begin with until it was all about racism. It is a bit sad that the tales series hasnt evolve like crazy since back then. I was expecting it to upgrade to A-tier RPG by now since Symphonia. At least their battle systems are still enjoyable.

FFIV - Tales of Rebirth
FFV - ???
FFVI - Tales of Destiny
FFVII - Tales of Symphonia - Aged badly but most popular and considered a classic
FFVIII -???
FFIX - Tales of the Abyss - A beloved gem too, but kinda obscured for some reason.
FFXII - Tales of Xillia - Some people hate it, some people like it. Rushed in the end.
FFXIII - Tales of Zestiria - Incredibly polarizing, It looked like the next coming of FF but it fell flat.

I wish Rebirth was IV, we probably could've gotten an HD port by now

I just hope it is good. Tales is losing steam for me. Symphonia, Vesperia, and Xillia are the only ones I have thoroughly enjoyed. Especially Vesperia.

I think its more of a comparison than a ranking.

Yeah, and strangely enough, it actually looks pretty accurate. ToS/FFVII and TotA/FFIX seems about right. However, I disagree completely with ToX/FFXII. Final Fantasy XII is one of the best in the franchises history. ToX isn't even in the Top 5 Tales games.

Dark_castle

FFIV - Tales of Rebirth
FFV - ???
FFVI - Tales of Destiny
FFVIII -???

FFV can be Tales of Phantasia and VIII would be Legendia, since Legendia was also pretty polarizing. Abyss is too polarizing to be IX. I would put Eternia instead of Abyss as IX, because Eternia is fucking awesome, and is underrated and more of a cult classic, exactly like FFIX. VI is Destiny: Director Cut. Best FF, best Tales.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Abyss was great, yo.

Edit: If anything it's the FFVIII of the series. You either love it or you hate it, and it had the Fonon system which, like the draw system, was by far the weirdest of all the new things they've tried, and it never returned.

Kasumin

The theme is emotion vs reason? Interesting... Hmm....

You know they're going to botch it somehow.

Especially if the game has the same main scenario writer as Xillia 2/Zestiria, which seems likely going by the dark and edgy tone shown in the trailer.

And the Tales series isn't a yearly franchise. It just seems that way due to delayed releases int he West.

2009: Graces Wii
2011: Xillia
2012: Xillia 2 (which was 90% copy-paste)
2015: Zestiria

That Zestiria was so subpar after 3 years is kind of sad, now that I think about it.

Zetta

Yeah, and strangely enough, it actually looks pretty accurate. ToS/FFVII and TotA/FFIX seems about right. However, I disagree completely with ToX/FFXII. Final Fantasy XII is one of the best in the franchises history. ToX isn't even in the Top 5 Tales games.

I agree with you on all points,ToTA/FFIX just seem to fit so much. Now if only Tales of Destiny PS2 could get the same damn treating as FFIV I would be so damn happy. This is the title that I want so much that I would be willing to skip Berseria for it.

I think the comparisons are kinda dumb, buuuuuut the closest analogue to Abyss is definitely FFVIII. Both are pretty polarizing entries with a cast people either love or loathe (along with an asshat protagonist), a plot point that's usually a huge point of contention for fans (
The Akzeriuth Incident in Abyss and the Orphanage in VIII
), and a magic system unlike anything that came before it in it's respective series (Field of Fonons and the Draw System)

And they both have the best mini-games in their respective series. Dragon Buster and Triple Triad 4 lyfe

Banned
are

are you guys seriously doing a simultaneous Tales/FF ranking

what are you doing
MtZ9N.gif

Good to see Namco embracing Steam. It's probably the easiest way of getting impulse buys out of me.
are

*ungodly amount of empty space that makes quotes look ugly*

are you guys seriously doing a simultaneous Tales/FF ranking

ungodly amount of empty space that makes quotes look ugly*

what are you doing
Avert your eyes and think happy thoughts. You don't want to be here again when the cross-pollination with Dragon Quest and Sonic starts.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical

FFIV - Tales of Rebirth
FFV - ???
FFVI - Tales of Destiny
FFVIII -???
Graces is not equal to that. How is the best game in a series (Graces) equal to the worst FF game?

Glad to see its coming to PC. Still need to finish Zestiria though. Havent really cared much for Zestiria so far, so hoping this one is better

Ascenion

FFIV - Tales of Rebirth
FFV - ???
FFVI - Tales of Destiny
FFVIII -???

This is pretty spot on. Almost exactly how I feel. Not sure where Legendia, Hearts and Innocence will fall though.

kewlmyc

FFIV - Tales of Rebirth
FFV - ???
FFVI - Tales of Destiny
FFVIII -???

I would say Abyss has the same reputation as VIII. It's either loved or hated by the community. Haven't seen much middle ground for both.

Kamina777

Banned
I really don't know how anyone could be confused if the lead is male of female in this given her character design.

She looks like a JRPG Quiet, right down to the nonsensical ripped pieces of clothing on her legs.

If all you can think of is "quiet" in this situation, you haven't watched near enough anime to know why someone who has could be unsure until the boobage was evident
.. again, without hearing any female grunts or shouts its pretty much a toss up.. I was afraid tales went the partially naked dude route for their MAIN protagonist this time, they seem to show up in every game as a side character.. but it looks like its going to be a story I won't care much for either way. The gameplay looks smooth and the arte transistions look crisp though.

Pejo

Gold Member
Oh man this is great news, so many Japanese developed games coming to PC. I'll definitely pick this up on Steam.

Top Bottom