• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Rebirth -- high-res screens

king zell

tor08.jpg

tor09.jpg

tor10.jpg

tor05.jpg

tor03.jpg

I like!

more : http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20040615/tosr.htm

jarrod

Banned
After Symphonia, I think all console Tales games should really be going for 3D cell-shading.... this just looks so cheap. Hopefully those rumors about Legendia turn out...

kiryogi

Banned
With how this looks? D: In any case, maybe ToS US will convince them. :shrug: I'm importing this sucker nonetheless.

kiryogi

Banned
Eh, the new force system sounds pretty neat. But it's a question of how Tales Studio will balance each waza/jutsu's charge time.

jiggle

Why did they even bother adding 3d elements in the 2d battle backgrounds. They look awful and sticks out like a sore thumb. Other than that, the backgrounds and character/monter sprites look good.

Bebpo

Banned
belgurdo said:
Bad character design+2nd gen PS2 graphics+likely unchanged battle system=not really worth it

How can it be unchanged battle system when they are taking the 3d line elements of ToS and fitting them into a 2d battle system? This will make it play a bit different than all the other 2d Tales of... games.

jiggle

Fularu said:
50$ SCEA says no

Doubt it. This aint port of a super old game nor is it super ugly.
If Chulips, La Pucelle, Katamari, among other games, get approved, I don't see why this wouldn't.

There's a higher chance(much higher) that Hometek wouldn't bother.

jarrod said:
After Symphonia, I think all console Tales games should really be going for 3D cell-shading.... this just looks so cheap. Hopefully those rumors about Legendia turn out...

They could just update their sprites for once. It's not like all 2D RPG's look like this.

gust26.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They could just update their sprites for once. It's not like all 2D RPG's look like this.

gust26.jpg

The problem usually with High-res 2d games is that the animation is usually weak. Now I haven't played Atelier yet so who knows, maybe the animation is excellent. But from past experiences it just seems like it's either good animation or high-res and which one you prefer is pretty subjective.

From the videos i've seen Atelier's is pretty good. It's not Street Fighter 3 or anything but about as good if not a bit better than your typical great looking 2D RPG. I was just making the point that NAMCO really needs to update their sprites. I don't see why so many 2D develoeprs just sticks with the same sprites over and over. Especially for something like Tales which is a big series and sells really well so it's not like they can't fund it or anything. Just compare this character to the ones in Tales:

gust25.jpg

at229.jpg

Hilarious. Fucking hilarious. You have the sheer AUDACITY to bash the sweet graphics of this game, and then you praise the GBA, which could not even BEGIN to imagine 2D graphics of that quality.

Maybe they should just make a GBA version. Sure, the game would look like utter ass in comparison, but people's standards would be so much lower that they would praise it on high.

jarrod

Banned
Actually I'd say those sprites are already GBA quality. :p

Besides it's all about consistantcy. Amazing had drawn backgrounds sorta get ruined with low rez stiff sprites and blocky 3D elements. :/

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Neutron Night said:
Hilarious. Fucking hilarious. You have the sheer AUDACITY to bash the sweet graphics of this game, and then you praise the GBA, which could not even BEGIN to imagine 2D graphics of that quality.

Maybe they should just make a GBA version. Sure, the game would look like utter ass in comparison, but people's standards would be so much lower that they would praise it on high.

Neutron, this is not the GBA. That would be like comparing a PS1 game to a PS2 one. Think up a better analogy.

cvxfreak

Neutron Night said:

Actually they're kind of ugly, especially when the PS2 is more powerful than what's being shown here.

I was accused in the other thread of being a "graphics whore" and a hater of 2D, but I love the artstyle of this game. I want more games like this. We don't get these kind of games in the US because the mainstream plebians will only buy them on the GBA, if that. They can't appreciate actual high-tech 2D graphics and gameplay.

I admit this game is closer to PS1 2D, which is still a whole generation above the GBA.

kiryogi

Banned
But this isn't high-tech 2d D:

Oh, and gba pulls off PSX1 generation sprites easily, just not as much animation of course. (See Tales of Phantasia, Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2)

Yah this is basically mid level PSone stuff, the top tier PSone 2D was stuff like Saga Frontier 2 and Legend of Mana. For the PS2 it'd be Guilty Gear and Atelier. It doesn't look bad or anything though and usually Tales games animate really well which is a big plus even if the sprites might not look the best.

jarrod

Banned
kiryogi said:
Oh, and gba pulls off PSX1 generation sprites easily, just not as much animation of course. (See Tales of Phantasia, Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2)
And really, that's only due to the medium, not the hardware. If GBA had the practically limitless space of optical media, it'd have animation as good as PS1 also.

Shouta

Oh, and gba pulls off PSX1 generation sprites easily, just not as much animation of course.

Except for the fact that ToP and Narakiri Dungeon use SNES level Sprites and not actual PSX1-level sprites. VP, ToE, the original Guilty Gear would be PSX generation sprites and I hardly think you're going to get that on the GBA considering most of the games they've put out on it. That said, those ToR screens and sprites are fugly. I'd honestly expect more out of the goons doing this stuff but looking at this and how ugly their doing the port of Symphonia, I can tell they're pretty damn lazy in comparison to other porters. =b

and quit using that ugly emoticon.

No, it doesn't. The GBA has only a fraction of the resolution of PS1 or pretty much any home console. You get fooled because it's all packed into a small screen, but there's just less pixels to work with. You are ALWAYS going to lose detail.

And really, that's only due to the medium, not the hardware. If GBA had the practically limitless space of optical media, it'd have animation as good as PS1 also.

The medium is part of the hardware. Thanks for pointing out why cartridges should be dead and buried.

Bebpo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Yah this is basically mid level PSone stuff, the top tier PSone 2D was stuff like Saga Frontier 2 and Legend of Mana. For the PS2 it'd be Guilty Gear and Atelier. It doesn't look bad or anything though and usually Tales games animate really well which is a big plus even if the sprites might not look the best.

Errr what? Maybe the screens don't show it, but ToDIIJpn looked like PS2 level 2d and was definitely ahead technically (not art-wise) than any PSone rpg.

What you don't see in the screens is that the camera zooms around like Samurai Showdown going from far off shots to close up LARGE characters (well you can see that in one of the older shots of the main guy doing an uppercut type move). This kinda movement that the Tales series uses looks fantastic in motion and combined with tons of moves with unique animations makes the battles look great and better than anything PSone level.

Only on 2d map areas (and crappy 3d map) does the Tales of... series look PSone level.

Also GGXX may be high res but the animation is very average. So it's PS2 quality 2d because it's high-res? I'd argue that SF3:3S is as much a representation of this generation's level of 2d as GGXX is.

jarrod

Banned
Neutron Night said:
The medium is part of the hardware. Thanks for pointing out why cartridges should be dead and buried.
Actually no, the medium would be the software. And for handhelds, carts still bring notable advantages (no moving parts, negligible battery drain, no skipping) to counter their inherent disadvantages (expensive silicon, little data capacity). Solid state is always better for handhelds if possible.

Top Bottom