• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria - Details on battle system (Graces-like), characters, and screens

Levyne

Banned
Only thing I can say is that the colors seem very "pastel" outside of Slay. A very minor thing, though. (I like darker, more saturated, bolder colors, but it's not like color preference is very high on the list of things I think or care about.)

Gardios

"Graces-like"

That's all I needed to hear. Hopefully the character growth system draws inspiration from Graces as well since I found Xillia to be a major step down in that regard.

FTFY.

Though yeah, it'd be nice if they stopped making as many of these and improved the graphics, I don't see that happening.

There's more out there than just Tales, I consider Tales to be a guilty pleasure that I can drop anyday and still have a ton of JRPGs to play.

But Graces combat? I'M INNNN.

iavi

The mountain/rocky area is really drab, but there are some nice environments too:

The character models are sharp too:

The character models are finally looking like a step up from Vesperia/Xillia, those fields, though...As good as they looked, Xillia traumatized me. Xillia had me on twitter wishing that Namco would take all the fields and dungeons out of Tales and leave it an anime with a battle system.

I can't enjoy those environment pics.

-------

Hearing that it's like Graces in combat is amazing, I hope to hear that it's nothing like graces in story.

ED Cantu

Ok, everything we know about the battle system sounds great so far, now please let the story be good, as good as Xillia/Xillia2 or even as good as Vesperia would be fine.

If I played Tales for story, I'd be pretty sad.
My favorite Tales games all have the worst stories in the series.

I play Tales games for both story and gameplay, of course gameplay is a bit more important but if the story is really bad, I wouldn't be enjoying a good chunk of the game.
That's why even when Graces f has one of the best battle systems of the series (if not the best) it was annoying playing through the story and watch characters as bad as Asbel or Cheria.

So I personaly prefer a little more balance and I hope Zestiria's story to be at least good enough.

Loved the Graces battle system. Glad to see it come back in some shape or form. Probably a ways away, but can't wait to see some gameplay.

Soriku

There's more out there than just Tales, I consider Tales to be a guilty pleasure that I can drop anyday and still have a ton of JRPGs to play.

But Graces combat? I'M INNNN.

Meh. I think Tales games have better and more developed characters than 99% of other RPGs. I think the stories are underrated too. Symphonia and Xillia's were great IMO (Xillia 2 sounds like it'll be good as well). Abyss was pretty good too. The others I've played were at least decent. Even Graces had its moments.

They mainly need to improve the soundtracks for me. Xillia was a step in the right direction. Go Shiina composing for Zestiria is good news.

iavi

is it just me or has tales games looked progressively worse since vesperia?

They kind of have been. Graces wasn't as up to par due to it being a Wii title from the jump, and Xillia, while having much, much nicer looking towns, was largely full of bland bland fields. And Xillia had horrible aliasing.

I don't get this. I don't invest 20, 30+ hours into an RPG for the few battles that are spread throughout, as great as the combat might be. If there's no story hook, as elementary as it could be, I'm going to lose interest.

An umbrella and pages of paper.

I'm glad we're getting weird weapons again even if it looks like they'll be primarily magic users...

Meh. I think Tales games have better and more developed characters than 99% of other RPGs. I think the stories are underrated too. Symphonia and Xillia's were great IMO (Xillia 2 sounds like it'll be good as well). Abyss was pretty good too. The others I've played were at least decent. Even Graces had its moments.

They mainly need to improve the soundtracks for me. Xillia was a step in the right direction. Go Shiina composing for Zestiria is good news.

It's just my opinion that the Tales series isn't that great, and yet I come back every time and play them anyways!

Graces was just amazing combat wise, if they actually keep going with that combat style and gives up an open world JRPG as they promised then I think this can be an amazing title.

I just feel like most Tales titles overstay their welcome and I just play to see the next cutscene most of the time(only Graces and Destiny R had me LOVE their combat). I've never had a problem with Tales OST's but they are never memorable.

Soriku

Someone mentioned this on GameFAQs. Since Lyla fights with paper, her joke weapon ought to be the wanted posters from the previous games.

kHgYT9A.png

Aeana

They kind of have been. Graces wasn't as up to par due to it being a Wii title from the jump, and Xillia, while having much, much nicer looking towns, was largely full of bland bland fields. And Xillia had horrible aliasing.

I don't get this. I don't invest 20, 30+ hours into an RPG for the few battles that are spread throughout, as great as the combat might be. If there's no story hook, as elementary as it could be, I'm going to lose interest.
Battles occur more often than anything else in RPGs, so I wouldn't say "few battles" by any means.

Levyne

Banned

I appreciate a good story too but it's by far not necessary. You also have to factor in secondary gameplay elements as well, like crafting, progression, exploration and dungeons/puzzles. It's not just "combat" and "story". Just hope those out-of-combat gameplay systems are also fun and engaging.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tatsuro Udo and Go Shiina had me excited for this the moment they were announced.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people would play them for the story. They're fun to run through, and at the time games like Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia had nice graphics too. Vesperia is still the best looking Tales for me, I wish they would've used the cel-shading style for this since it has the same art director.

Weird that I didn't see a lot of these art style complaints about Xillia, they look super similar to me.

There was a lot of debate about how good/bad it looked before it came out. The art director was Daigo Okumura instead of Minoru Iwamoto though so I guess some people did see a difference between their styles.

Aeana

There was a lot of debate about how good/bad it looked before it came out. The art director was Daigo Okumura instead of Minoru Iwamoto though so I guess some people did see a difference between their styles.
There were people saying the graphics were bad, but it seemed more like technical complaints than art style complaints.

anderedna

Simultaneous release hasn't been confirmed, though a localization has. It'll probably this year for Japan, next year for us.

Worldwide, yes, but simultaneously was never said. It'll probably be a mid 2015 title in the west.

Thanks for answers. PS3 still seeing some serious action coming 2015. It does have a very long leg. Am I a weird person by enjoying Tales games for skits. They are funny ;)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
There were people saying the graphics were bad, but it seemed more like technical complaints than art style complaints.

I agree, I don't see too much of a difference my-self now that there's no cel-shading.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doesn't really have a team, I think. For those interested I think this is all the known staff so far:

Producer: Hideo Baba
(Game/Combat Design?): Tatsurou Udo (Basically a Team Destiny guy)
Music: Motoi Sakuraba, Go Shiina
Art Direction: Minoru Iwamoto
Character Design: Daigo Okumura, Kousuke Fujishima, Mutsumi Inomata, Minoru Iwamoto
Whoa now, Go Shiina is involved?!?

NOW I'm interested.

iavi

Battles occur more often than anything else in RPGs, so I wouldn't say "few battles" by any means.

If you're grinding. In Xillia, for example, I didn't do a battle outside the boss battles, but a few of the fel arms beasts, and a couple stragglers that managed to catch me off guard (which I can count on one hand thanks to holy bottles.)

I appreciate a good story too but it's by far not necessary. You also have to factor in secondary gameplay elements as well, like crafting, progression, exploration and dungeons/puzzles. It's not just "combat" and "story". Just hope those out-of-combat gameplay systems are also fun and engaging.

That's true, and that's my fault for going largely off of the memory of Xillia, which had no crafting and horrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiibbbllleee dungeons/exploration. I seriously tuned those elements out.

Why do the graphics keep getting worse? Other than that, sounds like good stuff.

Ok, that stuff a few posts up look way better than the screens in the OP.

Soriku

Thanks for answers. PS3 still seeing some serious action coming 2015. It does have a very long leg. Am I a weird person by enjoying Tales games for skits. They are funny ;)

Skits are awesome. Very few RPGs have a combination of storyline character interaction + side quest character interaction + skit character interaction to develop the characters, or just make them more likeable like the Tales series does.

The only game I'd say is comparable to Tales in character development/likability is Persona 4. Many RPGs either shaft characters and/or don't develop characters enough, making them very forgettable.

I think RPGs can be very good just on the strength of their gameplay and soundtracks. A good soundtrack immediately makes a game a lot more engaging. A good or great story and cast can really elevate a game though.

iavi

Why do the graphics keep getting worse? Other than that, sounds like good stuff.

Ok, that stuff a few posts up look way better than the screens in the OP.

I don't think Zestiria looks any worse, from the few screens we have.

All in all, though; Tales needs to do the opposite of what everybody else is trying to do atm--big and bigger. I'd love nothing more than for them to condense, detail, and give more agency to player within those spaces. The big and bigger mantra hasn't worked so far.

I wasn't a fan of Graces battle system, so I'm not all that happy to hear this. It felt very slow to me when I played it, and I could only play as Asbel since he was the quickest. While I'm not a fan of the Graces battle system, I'm still interested in this game.

Soriku

I don't think Zestiria looks any worse, from the few screens we have.

All in all, though; Tales needs to do the opposite of what everybody else is trying to do atm--big and bigger. I'd love nothing more than for them to condense, detail, and give more agency to player within those spaces. The big and bigger mantra hasn't worked so far.

They're trying to make the fields bigger and less like roads in this game.

I don't think making a bigger world is a bad thing, though I do like more condensed worlds like in the Persona games and such too. Games like Xenoblade, DQ VIII, FF XII, and Dark Souls were greatly elevated by having great worlds. Just depends on the execution.

I wasn't a fan of Graces battle system, so I'm not all that happy to hear this. It felt very slow to me when I played it, and I could only play as Asbel since he was the quickest. While I'm not a fan of the Graces battle system, I'm still interested in this game.

Well borrowing some aspects from Graces doesn't mean they're going to keep all aspects like the speed. We just have to wait for a good trailer and some impressions.

Rhapsody

Banned
Udo and Shiina makes me really look forward to this. Only complaints I have are pretty much ones already said (some character designs and graphics).

Verelios

Graces combat and CC returning is so good. All we need to round this out are likable main characters. Please.

I can't go through another Graces, or conversely, be playing another Xillia and wishing the combat was more like Graces. Why can't we have both?

anderedna

Skits are awesome. Very few RPGs have a combination of storyline character interaction + side quest character interaction + skit character interaction to develop the characters, or just make them more likeable like the Tales series does.

The only game I'd say is comparable to Tales in character development/likability is Persona 4. Many RPGs either shaft characters and/or don't develop characters enough, making them very forgettable.

I think RPGs can be very good just on the strength of their gameplay and soundtracks. A good soundtrack immediately makes a game a lot more engaging. A good or great story and cast can really elevate a game though.

P4G character developments really shines if you max the social links for every links available. Each links have their own unique story which I truly enjoys.

Games that have skits / cut scene that I enjoy watching are obviously Tales series, Disgaea series(never gets old), Ar Tonalico series and Agarest series.

If it has a good cast, like Vesperia or Symphonia (which it seems like it does), then this could possibly be the best Tales of game. I didn't like the Graces battle system at first because it was a bit too different from the traditional style, but I grew to love/prefer it.

All I need now is for it to have a good story. Still Day 1 though, as with any Tales game.

Riposte

I hope party management is better this time. I get the feeling with some of the Graces boss fights that the game was designed to be played multiplayer.

RalchAC

Graces-like battle system? Sold. Hype is starting to increase.

Who plays Tale of for graphics? You play it for the story.

You play Tales of games for the fast-paced battle systems and sometimes because you like the characters. Stories usually go from average to shit.

Xillia was an improvement in their storytelling though. There is still some nonsense but the story usually was decent and well paced.

Having a really good cast is more important than having a really good story. If you love the party members, you'll finish the game. If your characters are uninteresting there is a bigger chance you won't finish it.

Last 10 hours in Vesperia were really weird. There is a really big shift in focus (storywise) and the ending felt a little rushed. Still, I didn't care. I loved the cast, so I loved the game. Skits helped here, since Vesperia had the biggest number of skills I've seen in a Tales game. The croquette one was amazing lol.

Persona 4 story isn't amazing either. You're trying to solve a murder during 60+ hours. The cast is key here.

I'd gladly choose a character-driven JRPG over a story-driven JRPG.

Ascenion

I thought Graces was super hard on Evil/Chaos (with regards to bosses and some enemies; most enemies were manageable though. But damn those enemies in the ice cave in the future arc hit like trains). I don't know why, and I've heard a number of people say the game was easy even on higher difficulties. I can't get the timing for dodges right for a lot of bosses...

I'm pretty good with the dodges which make CC a non-issue basically. Still I'll agree that the the future arc was a step up no joke, especially the little queen....she and Chaos ...just no. Otherwise though with the lack of TP micromanaging and decent skill most conflicts were over in a flash including boss fights. Minute and a half tops with a moderately developed party. I mean with Cheria and Sophie in the party it was almost impossible to die once they developed enough. I will say though that while I believe Xillia had a better combat system the game overall was a joke difficulty wise.

Graces-like battle system? Sold. Hype is starting to increase.

You play Tales of games for the fast-paced battle systems and sometimes because you like the characters. Stories usually go from average to shit.

Xillia was an improvement in their storytelling though. There is still some nonsense but the story usually was decent and well paced.

Having a really good cast is more important than having a really good story. If you love the party members, you'll finish the game. If your characters are uninteresting there is a bigger chance you won't finish it.

Last 10 hours in Vesperia were really weird. There is a really big shift in focus (storywise) and the ending felt a little rushed. Still, I didn't care. I loved the cast, so I loved the game. Skits helped here, since Vesperia had the biggest number of skills I've seen in a Tales game. The croquette one was amazing lol.

Persona 4 story isn't amazing either. You're trying to solve a murder during 60+ hours. The cast is key here.

one of the reasons i can never play Dragon Quest games
you create their personality and i know shit about interesting personalites

Soriku

Yup...if I'm not liking the characters much, I can't get as invested in the story.

Also I'll just mention that I like the world building (including the tech/energy source talk) Tales does. It's not super deep, but it's usually pretty interesting IMO.

Oh and I thought Xillia's pacing was ridiculously good in chapters 3-4.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Good thing Graces has a seperate statistic for how much time you spent in battles.
It says ~12 hours out of ~85 hours playtime for me. I'd guess you spend the most time just running around in that game.

Nobody played xillia 2? It seems there's a near unanimous disdain for xillia 1, but its odd to see even the usual importers not mention the sequel, is it just that the battle system is the same? Is it ever coming stateside? I'm actually more hyped for xillia 2 than this, the main character looks like a goof goof whose gonna do goof goof things like the dude from graces, I just could no longer deal with the choices the main character made and reactions, they're setting this up to be some similar stuff with the rivals nonsense, I hope I'm wrong.

Top Bottom