• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria - Details on battle system (Graces-like), characters, and screens

kewlmyc

Wait, didn't we already get a paper using character with Sheena?

They've done everything already, might as well start recycling some of the more unique weapons instead of having 3+ sword users.

Where's my scythe user dammit!?

They're not related, or at least there's currently no confirmation of any relation. "Family of Heaven" is a somewhat misleading translation of "Tenzoku", they're more like a tribe/race/clan similar to Elves and stuff.

Alisha can't see any of the Tenzoku, but that's bound to change at some point in the story.

Oh, thanks for clarifying.

PKrockin

I think paper charms and stuff is a big traditional religious thing in Japanese culture (along with honor and shame; I'm an expert) so it doesn't surprise me that we'd get another character based on that eventually.

Graces-like. Yikes.

Oh well, I'll suck it up.
what

raven777

new character and screenshots:

l_534e87407558adyzl6.jpg

l_534e873e77d25n5y39.jpg

l_534e874236da2fwzbn.jpg

l_534e8744695f1lya79.jpg

l_534e87469ca00gfzwo.jpg

matmanx1

If the battle system truly is "Graces-like" then I will be a super happy camper. Graces is my favorite battle system and my 2nd favorite overall Tales game after Vesperia. My anticipation has increased.

LuuKyK

I love her design. What's her name?

Thats Lyla/Lilah. She looks awesome, but she would look better if her hair was whiter instead of grey-ish.

Btw, I didn't know she fought with paper, thats awesome. Love unusual fighting styles.

About the Graces-like battle system. Eh, I liked it, but I enjoyed Xillia way more, so we will see.

really hope they make the ai not shit like graces.

i said i didn't really enjoy graces.

everyone told me to up the difficulty.

i did that and all that did was make me spend half the time life bottling my allies that don't bother dodging attacks.

Garcia

Still haven't played Graces but judging by how praised it's battle system is, I suppose it's a great thing that Zestiria will inherit some aspects of it.

I just hope they work on their dungeon design because Xilia's (the most recent Tales of I've played) are a complete bore.

Rpgmonkey

From Famitsu's site it seems like the categories may be A-Artes and S-Artes this time, as they write "A Button" and "S Button".

Also it looks more likely to me that battlefields aren't seamless with the exploration environments. I have a feeling that they're building on Graces' style and creating battlefields that are more representative of the surrounding environment with natural boundaries and irregular shapes instead of making all of them perfect circles, and are adding in some new details like foliage, elevated terrain, and trees/rocks. A step closer but not quite there yet.

Heyt

Banned
Lyla's in game model is very representative of the concept art. The only good transition.

Is this sarcasm? The only character whose proportions seems to match on both 2d and 3d is Slay. Lyla's proportions are waaay off, look at how small the ornaments in the neck are on the concept and how wide they are on the game. Her chest and waist seem much bigger to me as well.

LuuKyK

Wow, I just noticed the LENGHT of her hair. Jesus Christ. I thought it was part of her dress at first.

That won't transition well to her in-game model at all if Milla's hair from Xillia is anything to go by. lol I predict lots of clipping.

Soriku

Wow, I just noticed the LENGHT of her hair. Jesus Christ. I thought it was part of her dress at first.

That won't transition well to her in-game model at all if Milla's hair from Xillia is anything to go by. lol I predict lots of clipping.

At least her hair is pretty neat unlike Milla's.

What's the issue with the rest of the transitions? Both Edna and Alicia look good. Slay looks a bit worse than his concept art but not bad overall (his Ufotable design is by far the best). The worst one might be Mikulio since he's missing his creepy-looking eyes in the concept, and his hair is slightly different (not a big deal though), though I still think he looks good.

demidar

thought you guys knew I hated the crap out of Graces' battle system >_>

But I'm gonna be reasonable of course. I'll be waiting for impressions, gameplay videos, all that shit.

It's like hating on DMC4's combat system for having too much depth.

I don't even. I'm going to bed. Good night.

Z3M0G

Tales-of-Zestiria_2014_01-06-14_004.jpg_600.jpg

I still find this the plainest looking character I've ever seen in a Tales game...

Edit: Just noticed the ear feathers...

Tales-of-Zestiria_2014_01-06-14_004.jpg_600.jpg

I still find this the plainest looking character I've ever seen in a Tales game...

Edit: Just noticed the ear feathers...

Well, it's pretty much the same generic design as Jude. Just a tad less douchey. So he's not quite the plainest one, naturally lol

Datschge

Will be interesting how this Tales game turns out, especially in all the details that were rather iffy in Xillia 1/2. This is the first completely newly developed Tales game after the dissolution of Tales Studio and the absorption of part of the staff into Bandai Namco Studios. It will be only the second main Tales game actually developed in-house so it makes sense Go Shina returns. I'm still hoping for bigger budgets in for Tales traditionally budget constrained areas (live music recordings, new monster designs, more consistent environment designs, better AI...).

Also, is it confirmed which team is making this game? Team Destiny, I assume?
The core staff from both teams are MIA since the dissolution of Tales Studio. Most of TD (aside Tatsuro Udo fortunately) are confirmed to have left. TS is not as clear cut, the staff behind Zestiria may shed a better light on this.

I get the feeling with some of the Graces boss fights that the game was designed to be played multiplayer.
I really hope they actually do something like that finally.

Do we know who's writing the script?
I'm expecting the same group of four (former Tales Studio) writers that have done all main Tales games after Vesperia and did Xillia 1 & 2 together.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Put me in the team that prefers Xillia/Symphonia/Vesperia combat style over Graces. Still very interested and hopefully the writing isn't as offensive as Graces F.

Awesome! I'm gleefully filled with happiness! Ah, who am I kidding, I'd be super excited if it was like any other Tales battles systems as well! But still awesome, Graces battle system is less common and bloody great, so I'm completely for this !

If they bring back Grace's title system, it would shoot up to my #1 Most Anticipated.

And the Eleth Mixer! God what wonderment that game's character bulding and combat was.

She fights uses pages of paper.

Hey, it's Isabel Guerra!

$3.99 Costumes.

Fixed for Scamco. :p

Graces combat wasn't bad, there was just faaaaaar too much of it. Hopefully this game will be a bit more balanced and know when to wrap up. The later parts of Graces were such a slog to get through.

There is never enough Graces f combat! The last 80 hours of me playing it was 95% combat from skipping the crappy parts!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love the elemental aspect that they're going with for the mage type characters. The last Tales game to do anything like that was Rebirth, I believe - I loved Mao's fire spells and Veigue's ice-oriented moveset, so I'm pretty excited for this. We've seen water and earth so far, and this new girl is fire. I wonder if we'll see a wind based character?

wmlk

I'm not going to question the battle system for these games, but the rest of what I see is very typical Tales fare, and that's not a good thing.

They're about as generic as can be.

Graces-like battle system means I'm interested in Tales again.

Mutsumi Inomata and Go Shiina are my jam as well (too bad they're both collaborators tho).

MilkBeard

Great, I was a big fan of Graces' battle system. I'm also liking the newer character designs, they look a bit better than the two main characters in my opinion.

Rpgmonkey

I love the elemental aspect that they're going with for the mage type characters. The last Tales game to do anything like that was Rebirth, I believe - I loved Mao's fire spells and Veigue's ice-oriented moveset, so I'm pretty excited for this. We've seen water and earth so far, and this new girl is fire. I wonder if we'll see a wind based character?

The scenario being set up here is that Slay will befriend and make contracts with Divine that control Fire, Water, Earth, and Wind so he can become a Avatar Doushi/Sage that has reached a level of power not even most of his predecessors got to, so there'll be a Wind character.

Top Bottom