• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria - Details on battle system (Graces-like), characters, and screens

Proven

I'm hoping they shoot for 8. Now that we have the four major elements represented, I'd hope for a mirrored amount of more close combat focused users.

Preliminary opinions on fighting style design have me leaning on the female cast thus far.

TaiKH92

Banned
If there are two characters more, I guess they'll be guys, so we get 4 girls and 4 guys.

Edit: I'm wrong, there should be 1 girl more and 1 man more.

Makes me think of PopGAF *shivers*

fume

iIstO8q0olOPT.gif

TaiKH92

Banned
It would be odd if they kept the name Slay but I can see them doing it. On another topic, if there's another female character I hope she's as classy as Tear from Tales of the Abyss.

Edit: I noticed that I stopped beig "Junior member" and now I'm "Member" XD

iavi

Dezel looks like he crawled right out of One Piece. I don't dislike it, but there's no uniformity to these designs at all.

Also, Dezel for traitor.

Labadal

is that a jojo character

EDIT: Oh wait, may as well ask to double check: battles and world exploration are seamless this time, right? That'll be disappointing for FPS if so, but hopefully makes it a more interesting game to run around in.

No seamless battles but transitions into combat are promised to be quick. I feel that they already are.

Idk how I feel about the new guy, hoping his eyes aren't obscured at all times.

As for the number of playable characters, it would be cool to have more than 6 again. Maybe dark and light aligned characters?

Soriku

Famitsu info from Rpgmonkey on GameFAQs:

Dezel
Nothing new I think besides adding that he's has some experience from spending many years with human mercenaries.

Around Step
Using this you can avoid attacks. When you successfully avoid an attack the damage is reduced to 1, it will make the enemy flinch, and you can recover SC (Spirit Chain).

Blast Gauge (BG)
A gauge that builds through defensive actions like defending and evading. You can use the gauge to activate various effects like recovering SC and blowing the enemy away. It's noted that in a screenshot about "Blow Blast" appears, so maybe you can set/learn different effects.

Spirits Chain (SC)
Consumed by artes, with the SC consumed dependent on the strength of the arte. When attacking the maximum number of attacks you can link is 4, but if you still have remaining SC you can continue to link (I'm not really sure what this means? You can make individual chains of 4 as long as you have SC left?). It is restored by waiting for a short moment without attacking or by successfully doing things like blocking or evading attacks. The maximum is 100, so it appears to be a percentage type of thing like TP in Destiny 2, rather than the number scale of AC or CC.

Other

Nore also mentions that there's a 1.25 multiplier on the screen, which basically confirms weakness multipliers form Graces/Xillia 2 are back. He also mentions what other people saw in the battle UI about it looking like two characters being set together, and also suggests that that maybe human characters can use the powers of Tenzoku in battle.

Artes

Slay: Shishisenkou (Beast)

Lyla: Habutae, Kaishi, Sanbasou, Heat Red, Blitz Flame, Burn Strike

Dezel: Jealous, Divide Heat, Avenger Bite, Gill Cracker(?), two other artes that don't have the proper way to read shown.

Chief God and Follower God(s) (Shushin and Baishin)
Tenzoku that have entered into a contract with other Tenzoku. The Baishin must act together with the Shushin, but the Shushin has unique power(s) available to them. Currently Tenzoku that have Baishin are rare.

Dungeon
same place as Jump, Damnonia Art Gallery.

Datschge

Blast Gauge (BG)
A gauge that builds through defensive actions like defending and evading. You can use the gauge to activate various effects like recovering SC and blowing the enemy away. It's noted that in a screenshot about "Blow Blast" appears, so maybe you can set/learn different effects.

Spirits Chain (SC)
Consumed by artes, with the SC consumed dependent on the strength of the arte. When attacking the maximum number of attacks you can link is 4, but if you still have remaining SC you can continue to link (I'm not really sure what this means? You can make individual chains of 4 as long as you have SC left?). It is restored by waiting for a short moment without attacking or by successfully doing things like blocking or evading attacks. The maximum is 100, so it appears to be a percentage type of thing like TP in Destiny 2, rather than the number scale of AC or CC.

I like the sound of these. Still doesn't seem groundbreaking enough to me but already sounds much more interesting than what we heard about both before.

Shadownet

Banned
Being an old school Tales gamer, I'm going to miss TP. I didn't really like CC at all in Graces F, but then again I barely gave that game a try cause of how much I hated the story and characters. I like Xillia system quite a bit, it seem to use CC like Graces. (Confirm?)

But the addition of linking characters make it really fun.

So apparently this new game will have a new system that is a combination of TP and CC?

You get 100, it will keep depleting every time you do an attack, you can only replenish it if you wait or block/evade.

Since they say it will be like Graces F, I can only hope that this game combat will be at least tolerable so I can support this game. I've been buying all Tales game that came out in the West to support this awesome franchise, bought the collector editions as well.

The cast is probably complete, as far as elemental characters are concerned. The star shape in between the two in battle character portraits has only 4 spaces for an element icon, and we currently have all 4 of those elements.

Oh he really does use a pendulum. Or more like a string with something attached to it.

I see we have some form of linking back. Hopefully it will be more multiplayer friendly compared to Xillia.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm not particularly impressed with any of the designs of the main characters.

I like Slay, minus the feather earrings, and Alicia quite a bit, can't say I care much for the rest though. They all feel like they're coming from different eras and games. Slay and Alicia from a medieval setting, Miclio and Laila from some Romance of the Three kingdoms type game, also they're too alike to Graces for my liking, and then Edna and Dezel look like they're coming from some wild west setting, I don't dislike their designs that much, but they just stick out a lot.

All Tales games have a bit of this going on with conflicting cultures and levels of technology, but this is a lot more prominent feeling.

demidar

The one thing that sticks out at me about Dezel's design is the ribcage pattern thing on his shirt. I think it would look better if it was removed or had a simpler design.

Rpgmonkey

Somewhat more organized details:

Around Step:
* Basically like it was in Graces, you evade attacks and damage is reduced to 1.
* You also gain SC and BG.

SC:
* The blue gauge below your HP.
* When you use an attack the SC consumed is dependent on the strength of the arte.
* You can chain attacks up to a maximum of 4 times, but if you have SC left over you can start the next chain of attacks.
* Recovers when you wait without acting, but you can recover it more quickly if you block or evade attacks, and probably various other unmentioned things. How long it takes to go from empty to full isn't specified, they just say a "short time".
* The maximum is 100.

BG:
* The number next to your HP and SC.
* Increases from defensive actions like guarding and evading.
* Can be used for special effects like SC recovery and blowing away the enemy.

Shushin and Baishin:
*A contract between two Tenzoku rather than a Human and a Tenzoku. The Baishin must act with the Shushin, who is the master of the contract, but the Shushin gains access to unique powers. It appears that it's rare now, but used to be more common long ago.

Other Stuff:
* Weakness multiplier system is back.
* Unlike Graces (and more like Xillia 2) we seem to have both resistances and weaknesses.
* The characters are paired and that thing in the center has corresponding elements. The shot with Slay, Miculio, Alisha, and Edna has Water and Earth, and Slay with Lyla has Fire.
* In a screenshot in the magazine Miculio and Lyla are entering into a Shushin-Baishin contract with other. I think that suggests that this pair/contract/fusion system thing in the battle system could be Tenzoku x Tenzoku in addition to Human x Tenzoku.

HHGGGNN I need a release date :( If possible this autumn please!
Most wanted (officially announced) game for me right there.

I don't think there's a whole lot of pre-release info left at this point (some of the subsystems, probably two more party members, OP artist), so a September release might be possible.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I don't think there's a whole lot of pre-release info left at this point (some of the subsystems, probably two more party members, OP artist), so a September release might be possible.

Yeah, but that would just be for Japan right? Have they said anything about localization efforts yet, have the started? Plus Xillia 2 comes out in August for NA/EU so that alone means they'll want at least a few months time, if not more, between the titles so that puts it probably at the earliest in Spring 2015 for NA/EU.

Seda

Yeah, but that would just be for Japan right? Have they said anything about localization efforts yet, have the started? Plus Xillia 2 comes out in August for NA/EU so that alone means they'll want at least a few months time, if not more, between the titles so that puts it probably at the earliest in Spring 2015 for NA/EU.

Many folks in the thread readily play the JP versions. The rest of us will likely have to wait until Spring or later, yeah.

Rpgmonkey

Japan, yeah.

I think the NA/EU release might be February or March 2015. Puts a gap between it and Xillia 2 while avoiding the November-January rush.

Shojx

Ehhh, Edna aside, I'm still not really digging any of the character designs.

Also, that pairing system's got me a bit worried... I hope it's not some sort of mandatory linking that could interfere with multiplayer capabilities.

More and more it seems like this game is doing everything to turn me off from it. It's going to take something significant to get me hyped for it. The only thing appealing to me at this point is the "Yay, new Tales of" aspect.

Ehhh, Edna aside, I'm still not really digging any of the character designs.

Also, that pairing system's got me a bit worried... I hope it's not some sort of mandatory linking that could interfere with multiplayer capabilities.

More and more it seems like this game is doing everything to turn me off from it. It's going to take something significant to get me hyped for it. The only thing appealing to me at this point is the "Yay, new Tales of" aspect.

It looks like it's going to be the same case as Xillia where important gameplay mechanics will be tied to pairing up.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Many folks in the thread readily play the JP versions. The rest of us will likely have to wait until Spring or later, yeah.

Japan, yeah.

I think the NA/EU release might be February or March 2015. Puts a gap between it and Xillia 2 while avoiding the November-January rush.

Can't say I can complain about that, least we know we're getting this one before it's even out. The race is on to see which will be the last big RPG for the PS3, Zestiria or P5. My money is on P5, but if nothing else Namco is full of surprises.

Espada

Wow, these new screens look great. I'm not too hot on the character designs (they're all over the place and I only like 2 of them of the revealed cast).

This pairing up system sound interesting, with one human and one of the angel people working in tandem.

Twp questions: Is it just me or are there only 2 humans versus 4 angel people? Are we expecting more human characters or is the cast complete?

Top Bottom