• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway Unfolded Review Thread

I think I seen this many times now.

Yea, same thing was said for Tearaway for Vita. I don't see it happening. Most Plus titles are strategic in some way, and Tearaway does not benefit from Plus the same way a Rocket League would or a game with DLC they would want to sell. Tearaway is a standalone game with little to no DLC, it will be discounted, but unlikely to ever be free.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Damn I still haven't even beaten the Vita version despite it being the only physical cart I purchased on Vita.

wouwie

Solid reviews. Unfortunately, i don't see this game selling well at all, same as with Puppeteer. There just doesn't seem to be a market for this kind of games anymore :(

That being said, i'll be there day one and i can't wait to dive into this awesome paperworld again.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I had no clue this game was even close to coming out. Where's the marketing??

All about COD/Star Wars/A-Creed these days... you know Sony. They'll hardly market these "niche" games yet wonder how Nintendo makes a fortune out of them and attract the young, family friendly demographic. The only constant is that they keep funding them so.....the fear of dying support for these games internally hasn't wavered as much.

Hmmm, still not sure whether this warrants a buy from me since i haven't played the Vita version yet, maybe i'll stick with that one and call it a day

I had no clue this game was even close to coming out. Where's the marketing??
Indeed. Who decided to throw this game out to die? Sony spent time at conferences showcasing it so I assumed they were making some kind of effort.

If a game is good enough for a company to be comfortable lifting review embargoes before release date it should be given enough attention to try to actually sell it. $40, even!

Media Molecule's only good game. Excited to replay!

Nah, both LBP and LBP2 are fantastic games, and I enjoyed my time with them a lot more than Tearaway which, while very good, was a bite-sized game that would've benefited from a few extra hours added to its campaign. The two LBP games on the other hand have given me a good hundred hours of entertainment each with the wealth of community content they offer. They're critically acclaimed titles that have done commercially well, and with good reason.

joshcam19

Truly a special game. My favorite game on Vita and I love my Vita and its catalog of games. Hopefully this version gets a lot of support from gamers.

F4r0_Atak

32 bucks with gcu. No excuse folks.

Even less excuse when Tearaway Unfolded was part of Amazon Canada's E3 promotion of 30% on 3 or more pre-orders this year. 28$ for all around great game/platformer.

p.s. Got this bad boy and several other games during the E3 promo. It feels so good to have a 30% off on games. Most 75-80$ games area under easily 60$ before shipping.

1430480682395.png

soultron

Banned
I have this preordered and didn't even know it was coming out next week. Sony sending Tearaway to die a second death due to little-to-no marketing? Wow, big surprise here.

Hopefully it sells well this time around. The VITA version was so much fun.

F4r0_Atak

I'm buying it but fuck, it's going to bomb all over again.
I love Tearaway. :(

Less so than when it was "Vita" exclusive, being on PS4 could help a little bit. Platformers fans should rejoice. The game's great and fun*. Although, having stuff like Until Dawn, Gears of War (which apparently plays great but does not look great), Metal Gear Solid V and Mad Max all released now, it really doesn't help and it doesn't bode well for Tearaway. I reallyhope it will do better this time. A lot of people were not sure to get it when it released on Vita, mainly due to how long is the total time a normal playthrough (without fetching the trophies).

*Personal opinion. :p

I have this preordered and didn't even know it was coming out next week. Sony sending Tearaway to die a second death due to little-to-no marketing? Wow, big surprise here.

Hopefully it sells well this time around. The VITA version was so much fun.

Well... based on their E3, Gamescom and Pax showing, they placed/spend quite a bit on floor demos and booth. Even TGS will have Tearaway on display during the event. Don't know if Paris Game Week will though... :/

Lime

Already preordered it. The game deserves it. I didn't play the Vita version because of the PS4 port.

Loudninja

Less so than when it was "Vita" exclusive, being on PS4 could help a little bit. Platformers fans should rejoice. The game's great and fun*. Although, having stuff like Until Dawn, Gears of War (which apparently plays great but does not look great), Metal Gear Solid V and Mad Max all released now, it really doesn't help and it doesn't bode well for Tearaway. I reallyhope it will do better this time. A lot of people were not sure to get it when it released on Vita, mainly due to how long is the total time a normal playthrough (without fetching the trophies).

*Personal opinion. :p

Well... based on their E3, Gamescom and Pax showing, they placed/spend quite a bit on floor demos and booth. Even TGS will have Tearaway on display during the event. Don't know if Paris Game Week will though... :/
Yep they had alot of PAX panels as well for the game.

JP

Wow, really wasn't expecting so many 9+ scores. Didn't play the Vita version so will probably pick this up.

soultron

Banned

I didn't really tune into anything aside from the E3 announcement, so I guess I'm a bit ignorant, yeah. I just find it strange how I'm not seeing web adverts and stuff like YouTube video ads for this.

F4r0_Atak

Already preordered it. The game deserves it. I didn't play the Vita version because of the PS4 port.

Having played the original game, I have faith that the "experience" will be rather similar. Although, not as unique as the original vision, it will still be something that gamers (mostly casual) and platformers fans should play and buy, just to support original new IPs, especially from a studio that used to be way smaller.

SCE needs to wake up a little bit, they shouldn't expect Mario/Ratchet & Clank sales numbers. They should balance their expectations to the budget related to the said project.

I know. That's what I was referring to. :p

RiverKwai

I preordered this. Played the vita demo @ kiosk, by the time I actually picked up a Vita, they'd announced the PS4 version - so this will be my first time through!

Wow, really wasn't expecting so many 9+ scores. Didn't play the Vita version so will probably pick this up.

To everyone where this is the case, the Vita version is really and truly a unique experience. It literally (I believe) uses every one of the Vita's multitude of (mostly useless) functions and creates a believable impression you are holding a world in your hands.

I'm more than excited for the PS4 version, but I think by MM's own admission they've had to change it substantially because the Vita version simply can't be replicated.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you enjoy what you play here, there's probably still lots new and unique to enjoy on the Vita version if you have access to it.

Hindl

Good to see this is a good port. I wanted to play this so bad on Vita but I didn't have one, and I don't think it ever came to PSTV, so I was happy it got a remake. MGSV and Super Mario Maker are on my plate now, but I'll definitely be picking this up soon

F4r0_Atak

If you ever followed the original game, you have known to at least expect 8s+ scores from most outlets.

I didn't really tune into anything aside from the E3 announcement, so I guess I'm a bit ignorant, yeah. I just find it strange how I'm not seeing web adverts and stuff like YouTube video ads for this.

It's ok dude. If I didn't check their PAX programming, I would have never known that MM and SCE were there to show off the "new" Tearaway game. It's not something that platformers fans should pass on, it's really great.

JP

If you ever followed the original game, you have known to at least expect 8s+ scores from most outlets.
I did follow the original game and I was expect the scores to be around eight. Not sure what that has to do with what I said though?

F4r0_Atak

To everyone where this is the case, the Vita version is really and truly a unique experience. It literally (I believe) uses every one of the Vita's multitude of (mostly useless) functions and creates a believable impression you are holding a world in your hands.

I'm more than excited for the PS4 version, but I think by MM's own admission they've had to change it substantially because the Vita version simply can't be replicated.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you enjoy what you play here, there's probably still lots new and unique to enjoy on the Vita version if you have access to it.

I was expecting it a little bit, but for people who never played the original game, it could turn out to be a rather unique, if not great, experience.

Good to see this is a good port. I wanted to play this so bad on Vita but I didn't have one, and I don't think it ever came to PSTV, so I was happy it got a remake. MGSV and Super Mario Maker are on my plate now, but I'll definitely be picking this up soon

Media Molecule are normally meticulous when it comes to polishing their projects/games, whether you like their games or not. Aside from Little Big Planet 3 (which was developed by other studios... yes, studioS), all of their games are usually, more or less, major-bugs free.

Hindl

I was expecting it a little bit, but for people who never played the original game, it could be turn out to be a unique, if not great, experience.

Media Molecule are normally meticulous when it comes to polishing their projects/games, whether you like their games or not. Aside from Little Big Planet 3 (which was developed by other studios... yes, studioS), all of their games are usually, more or less, major-bugs free.

I haven't really experienced MM before this gen (LBP didn't feel right to me), so this is good to hear thanks

Gryph

Yes! Please be a success!

Please let developers keep experimenting with fun concepts and visual styles.

Please...

F4r0_Atak

I did follow the original game and I was expect the scores to be around eight. Not sure what that has to do with what I said though?

Because Tearaway was honestly great and I should not expect any less from Unfolded. So for newcomers, it would feel fresh and unique. The fact that there is new content in the game should be welcomed by everyone and the fact that MM was handling the "port" to the PS4 should speak volume about how good they usually are when it comes to polishing their games.

Please...

This!

Please...

So much this, listen to this man, by the way, i have not played the vita version, have any of the reviews explained how long the game is now with the ps4 added content? something like 8 hours? 8 hours would be enough for me.

Shin-Ra

Tarsier are building a very nice reputation too. Hopefully Hunger's as mechanically attractive as the visuals.

I played the original to completion on Vita. Mediocre gameplay layered with tons of art, polish, and "charm". I'm not the type of gamer that is taken in by "charm" so in the end I found it a mediocre experience. Based on what I can read in these reviews, I have no desire to play it again. However, I do recommend it to folks who have never played it before. It's quite unique.

sarcoa

So much this, listen to this man, by the way, i have not played the vita version, have any of the reviews explained how long the game is now with the ps4 added content? something like 8 hours? 8 hours would be enough for me.
I don't think it kept a clock but it was definitely longer than the Vita version. 7-8 is a good estimate.

Eh, he kinda has a point. The only truly good LBP game was the Vita one and MM didn't make it. I think calling Tearaway the only good MM game, or at least the only great one, is a fair statement. LBP2 was alright I guess.
What are you talking about? Why do you posts as if its anything but your opinion? Like there's a great consensus that LBP and LBP2 weren't amazing games. Millions of people would laugh at the idea they aren't.

Patapwn

I played the original to completion on Vita. Mediocre gameplay layered with tons of art, polish, and "charm". I'm not the type of gamer that is taken in by "charm" so in the end I found it a mediocre experience. Based on what I can read in these reviews, I have no desire to play it again. However, I do recommend it to folks who have never played it before. It's quite unique.

How was the gameplay mediocre? It has probably the best implementation of touch gameplay that there is

Shin-Ra

Tearaway was already over 8 hours to platinum unless you're speed running a repeat play through.

Top Bottom