• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway Unfolded Review Thread

Have the original Tearaway in my drawer unopened, sold my vita as well. This is gonna be my first experience with the game and I can't wait. Didn't know it was gonna be 40 dollars, that's a great pricepoint.

Fat4all

Banned
What's the consensus of the PS Cam use?

Is it worth buying one for this game?

I mean, I'm gonna need it for Morpheus eventually anyways...

AwShucks

The Vita version was my favorite game of that year. It's probably a high point on the Vita for me with P4G.

I have planned on getting this. I don't know when I'll get to play it due to MGS V and Danganronpa, but I'm more than willing to replay it on my TV with some different functionality and new areas (even if those areas are supposedly not as good and poorly paced, they are still in the Tearaway world which is amazing).

khaaan

I didn't realize it's already been almost two years since Tearaway came out. I'm excited for this, I actually wasn't a big fan of the platforming aspects of the original but it was such a joy to experience that it didn't matter.

sn00zer

This game is the definition of style over substance. Great style, though.

That would be Suda 51

In other news can anyone confirm if

SPOILERS FOR VITA VERSION
Is this a sequel to the Vita version? The way the game ends, even if this is the same story it could very well be a sequel

That's too harsh. It does have that issue at times, but it's very far from the "definition" of it.

There's just not much to anything. The combat can be slept through, the platforming is never especially demanding or varied, and the vita gimmicks all have basically one use. It's a great world to explore, and it was especially effective at creating and maintaining the illusion of holding a little world in your hands, but I was never interested in the "traditional" gameplay portions to the point of them being almost nonessential to what I enjoyed in the title.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
It sounds like a good remake but it's probably going to be sub £20 in a month or three. I'll just wait since MGS5 is keeping me very busy.

UberTag

I had no clue this game was even close to coming out. Where's the marketing??
Despite being sent out to die against a Mario game (once again) at least Sony had the good sense to have the review embargo lifted alongside Mario Maker so the game wouldn't get completely buried.

To be honest, this charming franchise deserved far better than the shoddy marketing treatment Sony has given it.
But hey... at least we have it. Better to have a Tearaway that flops than no Tearaway at all.

Carnby

There is no consequence to death in the game. There are no limited lives. And if you die in some places, you actually respawn at the NEXT checkpoint, instead of the last. So yeah, I think it'd be fine.

Thank you and to everyone else who responded. Much appreciated

Eh, I think i'll bite on this one at release. Need something to kill some time that I can play in front of the kiddo.

Should be a nice diversion until Guildwars 2 HoT hits.

This game is the definition of style over substance. Great style, though.

Pretty much my thoughts, the art design and world was stunning and had such huge potential but in the end all i wanted was more actual platforming and gameplay, the platforming is good but there is hardly any of it and the combat was awful.
I would love a sequel where the developers can focus on gameplay now that they have the art direction and world created perfectly but i very much doubt there will ever be one.
It's worth a purchase for cheap just to walk through the stunning world but sadly there isn't a lot to it.

Hmm, the game seems different enough from the vita version to be well worth playing on both platforms. Not surprising if you consider the very different controller inputs on ps4.
Really great that there are many reviewers who liked this version more than the vita one, even taking into account some have the opposite view Hoping I fall into the former camp :)

hydruxo

Definitely picking this up again at some point. I own it on Vita and it was amazing. I hope more people give this a shot on PS4 because it's an incredibly charming game. Lots of fun.

Memento

IGN score probably dragged down the Metacritic a lot, because they have a huge weight on it.

Nevertheless, it is still very high. I am very excited to play it. I am worried about the game performance though :( Looks like Sony didnt give a shit to market the game. They are making the exact same mistake man... I am kind of angry. This IP have so much potential :/

Game is so good it brought a tear to my eye. Captures similar sense of wonder to Mario 64 but the world is more interactive. Sure it might not control as tight but it does so many interesting things. Would love to know what Nintendo think of it.

Gamespot 8

'Even if it takes a camera or a mobile device to fully come together, Tearaway Unfolded is a smart, slick reimagining of Media Molecule’s underappreciated gem. The innovative methods by which you can twist, turn, and bend the colorful paper world provide interesting new challenges to wrap your head around, and the already beautiful world has an even bigger allure on the PlayStation 4. It’s just plain fun.'

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/tearaway-unfolded-review/1900-6416237/

They gave the Vita version a 9.5 so I doubt it.

Depends on the reviewer. Metacritic is a bit lower than I thought but the bigger sites seem to be giving it the thumbs up.

Not really my type of game but I always wanted to try it. I really like Media Molecule as a studio and what they stand for but I never enjoyed any of their games, maybe Tearaway might be different.

Best wishes.

mhayes86

I loved Tearaway on Vita and am quite excited for this!

1-7:Awful
8:Mediocre/Average
9:Good
10:Excellent

Sure seems like the way people tend to perceive scores, unfortunately, most likely due to comparing them to their school grading systems (at least in the US), where anything less than a B (80%) isn't particularly impressive.

Good to see its reviewing well, I'm saddened by the possibility that this will not sell as well as the vita version. There hasnt been much buzz about it and I havent seen any promotion for the remaster from Sony.

Servbot24

Banned
Good to see its reviewing well, I'm saddened by the possibility that this will not sell as well as the vita version. There hasnt been much buzz about it and I havent seen any promotion for the remaster from Sony.

It's almost impossible for anything to sell less than the Vita version :p

Elios83

That is not possible :D the game totally bombed on Vita. Now it has a chance at least at recouping costs.
Btw good to see that both this and Until Dawn last week got good reviews.
I've already finished the game on Vita but at 40$ this is really tempting.

Man glad to see this is apparently great. The original is one of the best games I've ever played, and I am eager to see how they turned the concept on its head to adapt it for PS4.

Yeah, the Vita original is a masterclass in design and art. If it came out on a Nintendo platform people would never stop talking about it as an example of their unique genius.

Top Bottom