• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway Unfolded Review Thread

wouwie

It seems that for once, the digital version will be the cheapest one, selling at 40€. I wonder how big (download size) the game will be. I usually go for the boxed version whenever i can and the cover does look nice though.

Kensuke

I really dislike the new camera. In Unfolded you can make it do a 360, unlike in the original were you could barely make it move. The trade-offs are pretty serious though. First of all, the camera is way closer to Iota. It's so close it almost feels like a third-person shooter. I don't like that on a platformer, were you want a good view of what's ahead. Worse is the fact that the camera likes to get stuck in the environment quite a bit, something that never happened in the original. Lastly, getting close to walls makes in zoom in even further, completely disorienting you in the process.

The game is good, but the camera could have used more work.

GeeTeeCee

I just returned to playing the Vita version today, as I'd previously got about 70% of the way through the game before it got lost in the backlog. I forgot just how charming the game is, and I'll almost surely pick up Unfolded post-MGSV. I'm happy that it sounds like a substantial upgrade over the original.

Back and forth on whether I'll get this Day 1. I really did love the Vita game and while it didn't strike me as being a great game to replay a lot of stuff is apparently new here.

Tearaway doesn't excel in any one area mechanically but its a lively game that keeps you engaged. I felt it introduced new ideas regularly enough to keep the experience fresh and worthwhile the whole way through. Being an easy game isn't a negative here because of these varied ideas and use of inputs. The visuals are the same way, same style throughout but each new area was uniquely beautiful.

Vita or PS4, I'd recommend everyone play through one or the other at least once.

Shin-Ra

I hope they patch the game to render animated GIFs with dithering because there's a lot of banding without.

d018d58e2f811c9c1ac34ca52672c774bebb5771.gif
https://tearaway.me/p/7w6x2

You can still make GIFs the old fashioned way with your own recorded video clips but it'd be nice if the built-in mechanism made clean, 15fps GIFs free of video artefacts.

If you add a strong filter lens it reduces the number of colours which helps.

b313f471c6e751a64eccd2d8a2d6e4016f381e93.gif
https://tearaway.me/p/7w65e

And unfocusing the scene helps smooth the band transitions, so there are some creative workarounds.

86d8d533608d24dc2ee04871b30c60a7619536a7.gif
https://tearaway.me/p/7w5ty

Wil348

It seems that for once, the digital version will be the cheapest one, selling at 40€. I wonder how big (download size) the game will be. I usually go for the boxed version whenever i can and the cover does look nice though.

Playstation store lists it as 6.6GB, which seems plausible to me.

Oh and those 60fps videos look FANTASTIC. Absolutely cannot wait.

Rated-G

For those of you in the PS4 System Software 3.0 Beta, in preparation for the game's launch, I've made a Community for fans of the game, I figured it would be a cool way for people to share their screenshots and stuff. It's open to anyone, not just Gaf members, but if anyone's interested, you're welcome to send me a message on PSN (ID: Rated-G) and I'll send an invite.

It's called Valleyfold Veterans, for now. I can always change it if anyone has a better title. I haven't found a way to search for specific Communities unfortunately. And once the game is out I'll associate the Community to the game, as right now it has no affiliation.

And as far as the game goes, I'm so excited to play this again, and I really can't wait to hear the soundtrack on my surround system, particularly Gibbet Hill - Pilgrimage, which was probably my favorite track from the original game soundtrack.

Amazon just shipped mine. Wish it had released this week since we're on the cusp of a 3-day weekend here in U.S., but I can't wait to spend Tuesday after work diving into this.

Cool to hear as well that the companion app for Tearaway is utilized through the Playstation App natively as opposed to its own separate thing.

Rated-G

Oh man I hope mine ships soon. I've never preordered a game through Amazon before. Do they usually try to get it to you by release date? I had assumed it ships out on release date and gets to you a few days later.

RK128

Its good to see the game doing well review wise :).

While the pacing issues are unfortunate, its expected after the game that used the Vita so much was remastered/remade/ported/ect to PS4.

The game still looks amazing, sounds fantastic and its new gimmicks look to be solid additions to the game :D.

Looking forward to getting this whenever I get a PS4 in the future.

RK128

Hmm, I loved the vita version. I wonder if there's enough new stuff to make it worth double dipping.

Its the same 'core' game, but everything I saw of the title online suggests that its a completely new thing, only using the very basic 'core' of the Vita title.

The original used EVERY feature of the Vita, so the PS4 version does the same with the DS4...but they had to re-tool and add a lot to the game to compensate for the missing features of the DS4 that the Vita had :(.

Its the same 'core' game, but everything I saw of the title online suggests that its a completely new thing, only using the very basic 'core' of the Vita title.

The original used EVERY feature of the Vita, so the PS4 version does the same with the DS4...but they had to re-tool and add a lot to the game to compensate for the missing features of the DS4 that the Vita had :(.

Yeah, I was excited when I first heard it because I thought it was a new vita game. :( I'm still torn at $40. I'd probably do it if the US got the EU collectors.

RK128

Yeah, I was excited when I first heard it because I thought it was a new vita game. :( I'm still torn at $40. I'd probably do it if the US got the EU collectors.

The only reason I'm not upset about the game jumping ship to PS4 is the fact that it being on PS4 exposes an otherwise outstanding game, to a completely new audience.

An audience much larger than the Vita one (sadly :(), so the game has a greater chance at being an success :D!

If the game bombs again....then I might get annoyed with it jumping to PS4 :l.

You have to pay a very small amount of confetti (in-game currency) to unlock the animated .gif lens. The game will tell you about it near its end, but I couldn't find it when I looked the first time. I never ended up using it, but it's there.

Anyways, I just beat the game. It was my first time going through Tearaway in any state, and I liked it. However, I don't think it's phenomenal or worthy of incredibly high review scores. It's good, it's solid and it's beautiful, but it also drags on, can be pretty repetitive and has some frustrating elements.

I was charmed, thought the art design was second to none, and loved how the paper animated. I also enjoyed myself, but got bored from time to time. When it's great, it's really good, but it has lulls.

I haven't played this version and wont be able to until October when I hopefully get a PS4. The way I could see this being worse than the Vita version is if many of the new elements they focused on adding weren't platforming focused and rather gimmick centric instead. Tearaway is by farrrr at it's strongest during the platforming sections imo. I appreciate the other stuff too and some of it is really cool, but if there's too much of it in comparison to the platforming, then I could see it dragging.

This is out this week, isn't it - presumably Friday for us in the UK? Looking forward to it. although I do have a lot to play right now. It'll be a nice game to play with my five year old daughter - she likes Tearaway on Vita, but constantly needs my help while playing it. I don't suppose there's any co-op is there?

Ogawa-san

For other people waiting on the pre-download to start: it wasn't automatic for me, I had to find the game in the library and manually start it. 6GB-ish.

mauaus

One of my favourite games of all time, so refreshing and awesome all around. Glad more people are going to have a chance to play it :D

Top Bottom