• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech journalist and Microsoft insider Paul Thurrott: "Xbox has never been profitable"

legend166

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall the original introduction of the Xbox was - though not directly stated as such - as a bulwark for Microsoft against sonys stated intention to gain traction as a central computing device for your home - ie. stepping on MS' PC domination. In that way, it might be artificial to look at the lack of direct profit for the Xbox brand in isolation as a problem. The actual economic impact of keeping Sony at bay and potentially preventing them from turning PlayStation into a very different multimedia focused concept the PS3 years suggested is probably incalculable.

To say nothing of the very healthy efffect all of this has had on the market overall in terms of driving innovation. I love Sony but man I can't imagine how far their head would be up their own ass without Microsoft keeping them in check along the way (and vice versa it would seem)

But the entire 'set top box' future Microsoft was trying to stop Sony dominating never eventuated. They've spent billions tilting at windmills. They could have spent zero dollars and achieved the same outcome because the smartphone was going to come along and destroy the very notion of the box under the TV controlling everything.

Meanwhile, they completely missed the market on the biggest innovation in computing (said smartphone) since the PC.

Vinc

I was under the impression that they'd been profitable for a good long while on a year to year basis (save for 2013, probably, due to launching the One). I don't doubt that they lost more money than they made back so far in their earlier years though... it might take another decade for the division as a whole to "break even". Just purely speculating though.

jelly

But the entire 'set top box' future Microsoft was trying to stop Sony dominating never eventually. They've spent billions tilting at windmills. They could have spent zero dollars and achieved the same outcome because the smartphone was going to come along and destroy the very notion of the box under the TV controlling everything.

Meanwhile, they completely missed the market on the biggest innovation in computing (said smartphone) since the PC.

The funny thing is Microsoft actually nailed the streaming boom with Xbox 360 apps and for some idiotic reason thought cable TV was still a thing worth aiming for with Xbox One instead of doubling down on streaming. I guess a hangover from their original 90s idea and Kinect/Profiling advert dream.

There are a few articles out there stating that XBox was profitable. Amy Hood allegedly said it as reported here.

I get why everyone is confused about "growing profitably" of course.

You think that's enough to make up for all the money they threw down the toilet on the Xbox brand?

If that's what Thurrott is saying, fair enough, but generally that's not how it works. A division doesn't have to make back losses if they were already fully paid for (and in Microsoft's case they were). You've only got to pay back losses if you had to cover them with loans or what have you.

Once a division is turning a profit, it's not costing anything, even if it lost billions every year before *if you had those billions to lose*.

Ushay

He has more accurate info then Nadella? Sorry but this is quite ridiculous, CEO's, especially in companies like MS are fully up to date with profit/loss of its products.

Can't believe nothing body has pointed this out. This is GAF after all.

12Dannu123

There will be a demand for all-purpose set-top boxes for the forseeable future. There is a huge audience that is not interested in gaming with a desktop-class PC. Whether or not the Xbox remains a really rigid hardware standard is really the only question. I could see them building a platform around a minimum spec that all Windows machines could follow. Turn PCs into an Xbox, laptops into an Xbox.

PCs becoming Xbox IS the future, however it'll likely only push UWP/Windows Store. Similar to their Windows MR platform.

AmyS

This first article from April 1998 is by Paul Thurrott about Microsoft working on its own game console, about 2 years before Microsoft officially announced X-Box at GDC 2000, and 3.5 years before XBox launched.

Microsoft reportedly working on game console
Apr 27, 1998 Paul Thurrott
| Windows IT Pro

Microsoft Corporation reportedly intends to allow its next-generation WebTV device to compete with the Nintendo 64 and Sony Playstation game consoles. The story is rather complicated, but it goes something like this: A few years ago, a company called 3DO was working its own next-generation game console, which was dubbed the M2. The M2 contained three key technologies which were pretty impressive for their day: DVD playback, MPEG3 decoding, and a new chipset called MX. When it became clear that 3DO was going to have to exit the hardware market for financial reasons, it sold the M2 technology to Samsung, which created a division called CagEnt that had two years to make money with it.

CagEnt's MX chipset from the M2 technology utilized two PowerPC 602 microprocessors at the time: the same CPU that powers Apple Macintosh computers. In late 1997, Nintendo visited CagEnt in search of a new 3D chipset since its relationship with Silicon Graphics had fallen apart and sales of the Nintendo 64 were slower than expected. In early 1998, Nintendo officially terminated its relationship with ailing Silicon Graphics and offered to buy CagEnt outright.

While details of the sale continued, Nintendo worked with CagEnt to wrap its MX chipset around a MiPS processor, as the company's consoles use NEC MiPS CPUs, not PowerPC. The plan was for the new MX-based machine, complete with hardware 3D, DVD-ROM, and cartridge capabilities to be ready in time for Christmas 1999. Unfortunately for Nintendo, talks with Samsung broke down within a few months.

That's where Microsoft stepped in.

In Early April, the company bought CagEnt through its WebTV division, acquiring all of the assets of CagEnt and its key personnel. Microsoft's plan is to use the MX technology as the core of its next WebTV device, which will clearly be used for more than Email and Web browsing. In fact, Microsoft has quietly been gaining the knowledge it needs to compete in the game console market through its parternship with Sega and it's likely that a Microsoft-backed, Windows CE-based WebTV device could even be co-created with that company.

All this puts Nintendo in a bind, of course, and the company will be unable to create a new console in time for Christmas 1999 now. Its current plan is for the next device to reach stores in late 2000 instead, though its unclear who they will be able to partner with to make such a goal.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-server/microsoft-reportedly-working-game-console

This second article (different author) is about 6 months before the official X-Box announcement.

Microsoft's X-Box: Fight for the future?

Summary:
As rumors fly about a Microsoft game console, one thing's clear: It has the team to make it.

By Robert Lemos | September 27, 1999

This month's reports that Microsoft is working on a game console to rival Sony's PlayStation 2 came as little surprise to at least one industry executive.
"I guarantee you that if there's a group that knows how to build a video game machine, it's the one inside (Microsoft subsidiary) WebTV," said Hugh Martin, former CEO of 3DO Systems Inc., which challenged the established video game industry more than five years ago.

Martin, now CEO at Optical Networks Inc., should know. You see, those WebTV engineers used to work for him at 3DO.

If WebTV does produce the rumored console, it will mark the end of a long trek for those engineers.

Long journey
When Martin was at 3DO, it was a hot startup, bringing a 32-bit game console to market almost two years before Sony produced the PlayStation. But in 1996, 3DO faced the truth: It had lost the war, selling only a million units. It scrapped its plans for a 64-bit next-generation device, known as the M2, and sold its hardware division to Samsung, a Korean consumer electronics manufacturer.

Samsung had its new company, now called CagEnt, poised to excel in the PC graphics market, scoring deals with arcade machine maker Konami and semiconductor manufacturer Cirrus Logic. By spring 1997, however, both deals had crumbled and an ailing Samsung was looking to sell CagEnt.

After a near-miss with Nintendo, Samsung sold the group to WebTV, which was by then a Microsoft subsidiary. The engineers, and almost all of the advanced graphics technology -- moved with the company. "Those guys are still there," said Martin. "They are inside WebTV in Palo Alto (Calif.)."

WebTV is open about why they bought CagEnt.

"(CagEnt) had both the intellectual property and people that we were interested in," said Alan Yates, director of marketing at WebTV Networks. While he would not confirm the existence of the X-Box project, Yates admitted, "You will see future versions of WebTV that will use the video capabilities that we acquired, as well as the 3-D capabilities."

Yates added that, while the technology was there to make an X-Box device, "our strategy right now is very, very clear: to provide additional functionality for TV."

That may change, and quickly, analysts said. With Sony using the PlayStation 2 as a "Trojan horse" to become the center of home entertainment, Microsoft should be looking at games as well.

"For Microsoft to get plugged into (the gaming console market) would not be a big stretch for them," said Jae Kim, analyst with entertainment technology watcher Paul Kagan Associates. "At the very least, it would provide another gateway into the living room."

Game developers think so, too.

"Can you see 200 million connections to the Internet and Microsoft not being a part of it?" asked one gaming industry source on condition of anonymity.

What about Dreamcast?
Still, some analysts doubted the reports, questioning why Microsoft would pursue a new game machine when its partner, Sega, has created a successful one already.

"Dreamcast meets all the goals they would set for such a device," said Peter Glaskowsky, graphics guru at chip technology researcher MicroDesign Resources Inc.

And Sega stresses that the working relationship with Microsoft could not be better. "Microsoft has been extremely supportive," said Charles Bellfield, director of marketing for Sega of America Inc.

Bellfield could not confirm the rumors of the mysterious game device. "I am sure that Microsoft is developing a whole range of products that will never see the light of day."

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-x-box-fight-for-the-future/

12Dannu123

But the entire 'set top box' future Microsoft was trying to stop Sony dominating never eventually. They've spent billions tilting at windmills. They could have spent zero dollars and achieved the same outcome because the smartphone was going to come along and destroy the very notion of the box under the TV controlling everything.

The hardware market actually in the future is moving to convergences. Meaning we will have adaptive devices that can become tablets, PCs or phones. That's a future where I see Microsoft and apple having a big advantage in. Microsoft and Apple despite Androids market share, are the only competitors in the tablet market and MS dominates the PC. Plus Microsoft cab already compete well with Android free OEM royalty with Windows 10 S

AmyS

Haha. Sony should've never released the PlayStation. It took their focus off CD players and Trinitron televisions.

There are a few articles out there stating that XBox was profitable. Amy Hood allegedly said it as reported here.

I get why everyone is confused about "growing profitably" of course.

The transcript of the event where she made comments can be found here. This is what she actually said:

And some people know, this is already a $110 billion market. Console games and the services that relate to them are growing really double digits. So when you think about us, we've got a multibillion dollar business that's profitable and growing profitably. And the foundation that lays to add on the new business models, whether, as Phil mentioned, ads, subscriptions, selling gaming in that direction, whether it's the ability to think about RPU editions through low value watchers, whether it's the video models that we have through assets like Beam, I think it really opens up the possibilities of that market far beyond the $100 billion that we're already able to compete very effectively in.

This was reported as though she said that XBox was profitable. Again, the quote is actually ambiguous. "Us" could in this context refer to either the Xbox business, or the gaming market in general.

Or if they're talking about Microsoft gaming specifically, "a business" could refer to a specific part of their gaming business, like XBL

Oemenia

Banned
The transcript of the event where she made comments can be found here. This is what she actually said:

This was reported as though she said that XBox was profitable. Again, the quote is actually ambiguous. "Us" could in this context refer to either the Xbox business, or the gaming market in general.
Well I'll just ignore the head of the company, and the financial reports, and the sun by covering it with my thumb.

Well it's a good thing this topic is about Sony and instead of addressing the comment at hand it's better to deflect and move goalposts /s.
Or you could learn a thing or two about how companies operate, Sony does like money too.

Reading some replies, its interesting that some don't think CEOs stretch the truth to maintain their company image.

This doesn't just apply to Microsoft. Sony, Nintendo, as well as a larger quantity of third party publishers tend to exaggerate their messages to maintain an image, sending a signal to their investors and shareholders that the company is operating optimally.

To add to the discussion, take it as you will, but a supposed insider allegedly claims the main reason Microsoft is still in the gaming industry is due to the taxation of businesses.

I thought it was relatively well known in tech that Microsoft loses money on all of their hardware -- Surface, Surface Book, former Windows Phone, Xbox, and any other hardware they've flirted with. They're not devices aimed at making a profit, they're devices aimed at getting Microsoft and MS licensed software into people's hands and homes.

I don't think a lot of people understand how companies will lose money on specific products in order to make money on other products. For instance, Google makes no money on Gmail, Hangouts, Google Docs/Drive, and Calendar. They lose hundreds of millions of dollars a year on these products, and they always have since these products existed. But, Google is a data company, and the data that they gather from Gmail, Hangouts, Docs, Allo, and whatever else, goes directly into their profit making products -- Ads and corporate.

You think that's enough to make up for all the money they threw down the toilet on the Xbox brand?

Define 'throw down the toilet,' because the Xbox brand is one of the most well known brands in the US, Microsoft's primary market. For a brand that had 0 market penetration 15 years ago, it's now one of the most well known brands in the country.

Oemenia

Banned
I thought it was relatively well known in tech that Microsoft loses money on all of their hardware. They're not devices aimed at making a profit, they're devices aimed at getting their software into people's hands and homes.
Except the OP is in denial about the consecutive years of profit.

I thought it was relatively well known in tech that Microsoft loses money on all of their hardware. They're not devices aimed at making a profit, they're devices aimed at getting their software into people's hands and homes.

This comment by Thurrott was about the entirety of Microsoft's gaming business, not about the hardware specifically

Except the OP is in denial about the consecutive years of profit.

I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, but I addressed data showing marginal positive operating income for a couple of years in post #175

timberger

That's been pretty much common knowledge from the start. The higher ups at MS sure do like to spin it otherwise of course, but Xbox has been a bottomless moneypit (To go along with the legendary bottomless warchest of course
if you're enough of a loon to think in such terms
) from the start.

Sounds like the thread has sent the usual apologists predictably cray-cray though. I expect the standard concerted derailment with console warring and irrelevant "Sony too" deflections to lead to the desired locking which has become SOP for such threads.

Well yeah. They sunk billions in to launch the brand. Then had RROD, and more recently the launch XB1 disaster. Their recent yearly profits have never made up for that. But it doesn't really tell you much. The current Xbox brand value is probably similar to all the historic losses, so they are more like close to break even in the grand scheme of things. On the basis that if they sold the company today they would get all or most the money back.

Krooner

Bullshit.

The 360 was turning a profit in its third uear.

Given the Xenon, Zepher and Falcon boards made up the 360's first three years and the failure rates of those boards, (particularly the Xenon) I find that very difficult to believe. The system, early on, had a ludicrously high failure rate.

Perhaps a profit on paper, but I doubt the refurbishment bill on those units has every really been talked about in concrete terms. not to mention the damage to the brands perceived value.

Oemenia

Banned
This comment by Thurrott was about the entirety of Microsoft's gaming business, not about the hardware specifically

I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, but I addressed data showing marginal positive operating income for a couple of years in post #175
The gaming division also includes other things like the Zune.

Don't worry, that wasn't saving the division of you are wondering.

Given the Xenon, Zepher and Falcon boards made up the 360's first three years and the failure rates of those boards, (particularly the Xenon) I find that very difficult to believe. The system, early on, had a ludicrously high failure rate.

Perhaps a profit on paper, but I doubt the refurbishment bill on those units has every really been talked about in concrete terms. not to mention the damage to the brands perceived value.
They wrote those costs off in the second year of the 360. Since then, it's been profit ever since.

If OP is still confused then I have some bad news for you since the PS3 killed all PS2 profits.

What Nadella said can still be "true" even if the Xbox division has never been profitable.

He can say it's "growing profitably" if top line revenue is growing and recurring operating costs are lower than revenues. So profitable before all of the capitalized R&D and other launch costs.

You could also say that for every incremental $1 in revenue they are earning (for example) $0.20 in net operating profit, so it's "growing profitably."

It's a vague expression - not a GAAP measure or something.

When you think about the Xbox business since its inception then it's not really surprising. They had many years of losses before turning a consistent profit with the Xbox 360. And in recent years it's hard to make exactly what percentage of profits actually comes directly just from the Xbox business.

Yeah, I'd imagine the hardware, personnel, cost of running XBL would sink the entire division. Licensing and videogame software alone would never make up the loss in personnel (R&D), manufacturing, and infrastructure; the margins are just too slim in this industry. And even despite this, Microsoft is the 3rd most valuable company on earth. They're a company that can take risk losing money in multiple divisions because of the historic profitability in others.

Microsoft lead losses with Xbox and it's probably the company's most positively perceived brand from a consumer perspective (maybe LinkedIn is more positive?). For a company that has always struggled with brand perception, despite Microsoft's ridiculous profitability, the brand is worth it for them. But, was hasn't been clear over the last 15 years is how Xbox division's losses have contributed to the rest of the business. What we do know is if a division is consistently unprofitable and does not contribute to the rest of the business, Microsoft is quick to sell it off -- like the Microsoft Mobile division which was recently sold off to another company (HMD).

What isn't as clear with the Xbox brand, versus Microsoft's other divisions, is how the losses on Xbox contribute back to their other profitable (or future profitable) divisions. For instance, it's really obvious why Google chooses to lose money on Gmail, Docs, and most of their products, because the data they gather is worth many times more for their profit-making divisions than the losses they incur to get that data. With Microsoft, and Xbox, it's not as clear, it isn't even as clear as it is with Surface... An obvious profit loser, but Surface exists to give a benchmark to other hardware makers who license Microsoft's software and package it into their hardware. The data from XBL is certainly valuable, up until Microsoft's purchase of LinkedIn, it was their most valuable social network and still one of the most valuable user networks in the US. It's unclear how the rest of the brand fits into that profitability, though given that Microsoft has hung onto the division while they've been quick to slice off unprofitable divisions in the past suggests that it's got some tangential value to the company.

It has.

Also 360 rebuys, don't forget that.

Do you have a source?

Or do you have sufficient understanding of financial terms to understand my questions about the difference between operating income and net income and how each would deal with large write-offs for RROD in post #175 (genuine question)

Microsoft looks like good guys here. creating tech that keeps up with current gaming demands (outside of PC), tossing out a game every now and again AND not even breaking even?

youll get there one day MS....

This is Microsoft though, the ones who spent over 100 million just on the XB1 controller which had barely changed from its predecessor.

In hindsight they've provably sold 20 - 30 million controllers by now so that's wn R&D cost of $3-$4 per controller and shrinking every day. They must have a good margin on those things.

Papacheeks

Banned
Pretty much

I mean they're getting 30% cut of every game sold, xbl, EA access, game pass, digital taking over so more money from games, microtransactions, Minecraft, sold the console at a profit originally, released a billion controllers with insane profit margins and a 150 dollar controller

There is literally no way they aren't profiting since the Xbox one. Not to mention all the studio closures aswell which should increase profits.

Nothing at all points to them losing money this Gen as a whole. On the console at times? Sure but no way the Xbox division. It just doesn't line up in any way

Tales from MY ASS AGAIN i see.

Oemenia

Banned
Do you have a source?

Or do you have sufficient understanding of financial terms to understand my questions about the difference between operating income and net income and how each would deal with large write-offs for RROD in post #175 (genuine question)
Go back and look at the financial repirts, it says it clearly.

jdmonmou

That article is nonsense I think. Gaming is considered a core business at Microsoft. It generates a sizeable portion of Microsoft's total revenue. They don't make much money on selling the hardware. The money mainly comes from Xbox Live subs, game sales and digital marketplace transactions. To say that the gaming business is not profitable makes no sense. Do you think MS would be coming out with the Xbox One X if that was true?

Chris1

Tales from MY ASS AGAIN i see.
tales from your ass? well at least you're admitting something because you seem like an expert in that department from what I've seen of your posts, admittance is the first step

we really gonna sit here and pretend the xbox division isn't profitable since the xb1's release? lmao what exactly are they losing money on in such large amounts to offset all the money they gain?

tales from your ass? well at least you're admitting something because you seem like an expert in that department from what I've seen of your posts, admittance is the first step

we really gonna sit here and pretend the xbox division isn't profitable since the xb1's release? lmao what exactly are they losing money on?

As I already told you in post #175, mass layoffs in Europe, due to closure of European studios, cause high costs up front (but will pay off in the form of lower salary costs long-term)

I've always operated under the impression that they weren't profitable until the XB1 gen. Just too many things that they've had to sink costs in over the years (such as the RROD fiasco).

With XB1, I assumed profitablity a year or two in. But maybe a combination of factors makes that not so (continuous R&D, firesales, less than stellar overall volume being sold both HW wise and in their SW)?

Microsoft bought their way into the game industry, they went into the original XBox with a plan of losing $1 billion on it (and ended up spending more). The hope was that the XBox 360 would be profitable enough to eventually make that worth it. Unfortunately, the RRoD killed that idea, as they lost another billion+ on just that problem. It’s estimated that as of 2012 the XBox brand had lost a total of $4.1 billion, which means they need that much in net profits since then just to break even, and that’s a steep hill to climb.

One thing to watch out for, Microsoft likes to hide losses by combining profitable divisions with losing ones; for a while the XBox division was shared with the division making bank on patent licensing to Android devices (MS owns patents on some of the things in the Android OS).

You can't Google MS quarterly financial reports?

But you can dig up all sorts of other BS.

Sounds legit.

That's not how it works. If you make a statement the burden of proof is on you. If it is so clearly stated as you say, finding it should be easy for you

Let's take the hypothetical scenario that what you said was a tale from your ass, would it really be fair to expect me to prove the absence of proof for your false statement?

Burden of proof lies in the people making the claim. If you are saying they are profitable, then show the proof please.
It seems the most people do is think you're absolutely crazy for suggesting they aren't profitable, but they can never post the direct sources to this.

we really gonna sit here and pretend the xbox division isn't profitable since the xb1's release? lmao what exactly are they losing money on in such large amounts to offset all the money they gain?
Go back and look at the financial repirts, it says it clearly.

Chris1

As I already told you in post #175, mass layoffs in Europe, due to closure of European studios, cause high costs up front (which will be paid off in the long term)
What? Layoffs are exactly that.. layoffs, they aren't getting paid any more lol

You mean the rent costs of the studio Lionhead was in? Assuming they're still in contract and own the building

If that's what's the decider between MS losing money and profiting.. What exactly were they developing the game in, buckingham palace? Shit, not even that would offset all the money they make from Xbox.

What? Layoffs are exactly that.. layoffs, they aren't getting paid any more lol

You mean the rent costs of the studio Lionhead was in? Assuming they're still in contract and own the building

If that's what's the decider between MS losing money and profiting.. What exactly were they developing the game in, buckingham palace? Shit, not even that would offset all the money they make from Xbox.

Did you read what I said in post #175?

Mass layoffs are expensive in Europe, where labour rights are a thing (in contrast to the US) due to stuff like severance packages

Top Bottom