• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tecmo Koei teases new image on twitter.

Aeana

I've never played anything Gust but I have a few tracks that I've run into that I like.

One that I enjoy is "Loki", I assume it's from the original game?
You should give AT1 and 2 a shot. Really, they are pretty good games full of wonderful music.

I'm interested because it looks more like a traditional jrpg then the Ateleir games(don't care about item making). I just hope it dosen't have a lot of otaku pandering.

I haven't done too much reasearch on AnS due to not wanting to spoil myself, but the Ar Tonelico trilogy still has a fair amount of otaku pandering- probably more than the Arland trilogy. It's much more of a traditional RPG than the Arland trilogy (though there's still an item crafting system which can be mostly ignored if you hate that kind of stuff) but also has a major system called "diving" where you unlock new spells by playing through visual novel-like scenarios in your Reyvateils' subconsiousness. The biggest strength of the series in my opinion is the ridiculously eargasmic vocal tracks.

Here's a decent article on the series- http://www.usgamer.net/articles/i-shall-give-you-endless-earth-an-ar-tonelico-retrospective

Stuart444

I personally felt Ar Tonelico 3 was awesome, one of my favs actually. I didn't mind the changes. But yeah, Ar no Surge...I really want it. I hope we get both the Vita and PS3 version.

I loved AT3 myself (not played 1 or 2 and 2s game-breaking bugs put me right off) and will buy this day 1.

Also yes the OST in AT3 was fucking awesome. And from what I've heard so is this games OST.

Hell Gust games have been killing it with their music for the past few years :D

kiryogi

Banned
I like Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 primarily for the combat and music. They were also relatively discrete about the pandery crap. 3 was much, much worse and I couldn't do it. It didn't help that there was nothing at all compelling about AT3's combat. I remember reading that Ar Nosurge's combat isn't quite as advanced as Ar Tonelico 2, but it seems like it should be decent enough, so I'm interested unless I see something particularly heinous.

It's own progression/hybrid of 2 that;s engaging enough. It's above and beyond the let down that AT3 was

raven777

I love them. I need my one Atelier game per year.

I even used to make the OTs at some point.

I just got extremely pissed off at K-T when Ayesha didn't have dual audio.

at least they recognized that it was a huge mistake and are including dual audio from then on. But I do think they should have realized it as a free DLC later on or something...

I guess I will have to wait for Ayesha plus to get localized.

Cheeky

I like Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 primarily for the combat and music. They were also relatively discrete about the pandery crap. 3 was much, much worse and I couldn't do it. It didn't help that there was nothing at all compelling about AT3's combat. I remember reading that Ar Nosurge's combat isn't quite as advanced as Ar Tonelico 2, but it seems like it should be decent enough, so I'm interested unless I see something particularly heinous.

While AnS has the music and gameplay if you cant handle AT3 pandering(which honestly is not much worse then that in AT1/2), then i would suggest you flee now. As some of the more risky Cgs really push the Cero D rating and i dont even want to post them here out of the possible outcry that could happen.

matmanx1

Loved, loved, loved Ar Tonelico 2. I am cautiously excited to see where this goes and hope it means we are getting both games. Also, I know this is the European KT twitter but I have no problem importing the game from Europe if it helps get these games localized.

Aeana

While AnS has the music and gameplay if you cant handle AT3 pandering(which honestly is not much worse then that in AT1/2), then i would suggest you flee now. As some of the more risky Cgs really push the Cero D rating and i dont even want to post them here out of the possible outcry that could happen.
I can't imagine why you would think that 3's isn't as bad as 1 and 2's. In 1, there's like one particularly infamous scene with suggestive dialog and other than that there's not much at all. 2 goes a little further but it's still not that bad. 3 has a battle system based on stripping, and on top of that it has way more creepy weird dialog.

Volcynika

I can't imagine why you would think that 3's isn't as bad as 1 and 2's. In 1, there's like one particularly infamous scene with suggestive dialog and other than that there's not much at all. 2 goes a little further but it's still not that bad. 3 has a battle system based on stripping, and on top of that it has way more creepy weird dialog.

I remember linking you to a scene from 3 and you were pretty much speechless!

Cheeky

Maybe its because i always play with Japanese voices but i found most talks about installing in 1 and 2 to be on level what 3 does. Stripping could be turned off and i believe that if 1/2 where made in 3d they would be on the same level.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

1 and 2 are pretty tame but the series got a bad stigma just from that one scene. I recently went through 1 and 2 and they're really great fun games with wonderful music.

Gust consistently makes high-quality, unique JRPGs.

They are basically the only company which can claim that these days.

Every sane JRPG fan needs to be a Gust fan nowadays.

I probably would have dived into Gust games sooner if it weren't for the fact that I saw my friend playing Metafalica years ago. I heard the dubbing, and it made made me bleed in every orifice.

I can now play JP games without a hitch, so I'll give Ciel nosurge another go (the offline version). I still have it on my Vita from PS+ and played a few hours. I loved the presentation but it felt like a "Love Plus+" game. I'm not an impatient man, but my attention span seems to get smaller when playing those type of games.

Durante

Unique? The games are as color-by-number as you can get.
You clearly don't even play them.

The writing is bad.
Compared to what?

The character development is nonexistent.
Not at all. For example, Totori and Meruru are wonderful coming-of-age stories, and have all the common ingredients of those concerning the main character's development, and they are well-realized to boot.

They tweak gameplay with each subsequent entry in their ever-running series, but there's nothing "unique."
This is perhaps the most laughable instance of your wrongness. The entire setup of the Atelier games is almost entirely unique in JRPGs:
- They are non-linear, with a large number of distinct endings.
- They feature a complex and intricate crafting system which is at least as important to the overall gameplay as the battles are.
- They have a time-dependent quest and story structure.
How on earth is that not unique?

As for "tweaking", the alchemy system (a central component of the games) has changed fundamentally between the Arland and Dusk sub-series. And it looks like the next entry will do away with the time limit structure and replace it with a new way to distribute quests.

Character designs are standard and uninspired. The stories are unoriginal, and the plots are ridiculous.
The stories aren't ridiculous at all. Not just compared to JRPGs, but to games in general. They are actually quite grounded. Also, "unoriginal" is just a ridiculous accusation to level at a developer that came up with the Ar Tonelico universe.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Hoping for a physical release, but I'll be there day one regardless.

Now if they'd only make a new Mana Khemia...

You should give AT1 and 2 a shot. Really, they are pretty good games full of wonderful music.

I assume AT1 and 2 only have releases on the PS2? I'm in Europe and it would set me back around £40 for both of them. Was there ever any rereleases? I'd really like to check them out.

This is perhaps the most laughable instance of your wrongness. The entire setup of the Atelier games is almost entirely unique in JRPGs:
- They feature a complex and intricate crafting system which is at least as important to the overall gameplay as the battles are.
This just reminds me of why Escha and Logy was a disappointment. It only gets the crafting part of this right.

Well, this is bloody excellent.

I hope it includes Ar no Surge Plus on Vita too, even though I know it's going to be download only.

Zhao_Yun

So this image teases only Ar nosurge? Would it even make sense to localize that game without localizing Ciel nosurge as well?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I assume AT1 and 2 only have releases on the PS2? I'm in Europe and it would set me back around £40 for both of them. Was there ever any rereleases? I'd really like to check them out.

Yeah, but it might be good to wait on AT2's re-translation project if you have a modded PS2 or can play them via emulator. The re-translation even puts back in features that were omitted in the Japanese release as well.

You should see the back!

20140315235914.mpg%20-%2000001.png

Cheeky indeed!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've got to laugh at people calling the atelier games by-the-numbers. They're about as unique as JRPGs go.

Well, this is bloody excellent.

I hope it includes Ar no Surge Plus on Vita too, even though I know it's going to be download only.

Well, there's no concrete announcement yet. Personally, I think this will be Ciel nosurge Offline.

Ar nosurge Plus and Ciel nosurge Offline contains all DLCs for their respective previous release, and also has some additions (for Ar nosurge at least).

Ciel Online -> Offline data transfer will be available, and Ar nosurge Plus will have some data link with Ciel On/Offline.

kiryogi

Banned
So this image teases only Ar nosurge? Would it even make sense to localize that game without localizing Ciel nosurge as well?
Yes and no. Ar nosurge was developed to be a stand alone experience. But you would benefit greatly having played ciel and the tonelico series. Especially on the latter.

kiryogi

Banned
Well, there's no concrete announcement yet. Personally, I think this will be Ciel nosurge Offline.

Ar nosurge Plus and Ciel nosurge Offline contains all DLCs for their respective previous release, and also has some additions (for Ar nosurge at least).

Ciel Online -> Offline data transfer will be available, and Ar nosurge Plus will have some data link with Ciel On/Offline.

Possible. But the image teases is directly from ar nosurge

Foffy

Banned
Is this just that one game, or the recent announcement of that compilation of the Surge Concerto duology?

Kikujiro

Gust consistently makes high-quality, unique JRPGs.

They are basically the only company which can claim that these days.

Every sane JRPG fan needs to be a Gust fan nowadays.

Ar Tonelicos are far from being high-quality JRPGs when the writing is godawful (the most boring kind of anime cliches + excessive pandering). The battle system is the only good part, but it's basically the same from the beginning to the end and the enemy random encounters are unbearable.

HIR0

None of the ones on the Vita are physical right?
Kind of sucks if true but I'll take it over nothing.

Levyne

Banned
You clearly don't even play them.

Compared to what?

Not at all. For example, Totori and Meruru are wonderful coming-of-age stories, and have all the common ingredients of those concerning the main character's development, and they are well-realized to boot.

As for "tweaking", the alchemy system (a central component of the games) has changed fundamentally between the Arland and Dusk sub-series. And it looks like the next entry will do away with the time limit structure and replace it with a new way to distribute quests.

The stories aren't ridiculous at all. Not just compared to JRPGs, but to games in general. They are actually quite grounded. Also, "unoriginal" is just a ridiculous accusation to level at a developer that came up with the Ar Tonelico universe.

Durante, you already made me buy Divinity:OS, and now you're going to make me get the entire Gust back-catalog

kiryogi

Banned
The ar series is a good case of don't judge a book by its cover. Yes the pandering is real and there, but underneath it is a massive worldview with some really intricate characters. Not to mention a soundtrack that Rivals the best out there.

Top Bottom