• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tecmo Koei teases new image on twitter.

Oh hey neat, I should really take this opportunity to play through the Ar Tonelico games I already have. And since I never bought 1, maybe I should track down a cop--$65? Holy crap, prices went up drastically in the last three years!

Ar Tonelicos are far from being high-quality JRPGs when the writing is godawful (the most boring kind of anime cliches + excessive pandering). The battle system is the only good part, but it's basically the same from the beginning to the end and the enemy random encounters are unbearable.

Cliches doesn't mean bad by defacto. The pandering could be the big issue for many people but I feel the writing is good enough to make you care for the characters.

Uthred

I enjoyed Ar Tonelico, AT2's character stuff was, apart from being a little questionable in places, simply boring. Both games had interesting combat systems that were largely compromised by the game beings too easy/being easily breakable (moreso an issue in 2 than 1). Interested to see how this game plays.

We sadly gotta live with the idiotic fact that Japan can't make a game without pandering to the otakus.

Niche JRPG = "All Japanese games"

A Gust subsidiary?

Garbage game incoming.

These kinds of companies aren't doing anything good for the progression of the industry.

What an odd metric to judge a for profit company by, I have to imagine vanishingly few companies actually meet it

I have a hard time getting myself to try a Gust game because of stuff like this.

"Stuff like this" is more or less entirely absent from the vast majority of Gust's output

koutoru

I've been waiting to try this game, graphics look great.
It also seems like the battle system is closer to Ar tonelico 2 than 3.

Hopefully they also localize Ciel nosurge, from what I heard it contains vital background information for Ar nosurge.

Jomjom

Banned
I really hope we get the offline Ciel no Surge. If we buy the shit out of this game I think chances would be good.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope we get Ciel too... I hate only getting the sequel of titles, even if they are more stand-alones. It wasn't like it was for PSP or anything.

And physical of course please, if Vita... My memory card can only hold so much and I'm reluctant to buy another...

kiryogi

Banned
It did only around 35k in Japan. I'm sure we can beat that right?

All the hate for Nei Being due to image first impress. Wonder how many folks will jump on her train when they play it. She is fricken awesimw

Eusis

Well that twitter campaign worked fast, will buy when it comes out.
I think it's less it worked fast and it's more like how a pet owner will dangle a treat above their dog and go "who wants a treat?" Asking if people wanted this game localized wasn't done to figure out what to do next, but to tantalize people to grab what they're holding up.

Meanwhile Nobunaga's Ambition is left on the table seemingly because I guess they forgot they were internationally renown as a strategy game company, forgot that Steam would be a good backup (that they're probably using over in Asia anyway) if console sales falter, and the fact the PS4 could really use a wider variety of games.

EDIT: And I'd hope they get some clothing options and what was shown wasn't the default and only option all the time for that character because seriously now.

Acosta

So happy!

My big project this summer is playing Ar Tonelico trilogy. And then I will play this, thanks Tecmo Koei!

DNAbro

That gameplay doesn't look very good and way too fan-servicey. Is the first game in the series that bad or did it just devolve into it?

Would it make sense to release Ar no Surge without releasing Ciel? I thought they were supposed to be in the same sequence of games.

I wouldn't be surprised if they passed on Ciel, since I doubt a dating sim will sell. But then again I can't imagine most Gust games sell well in the US anyways, yet apparently it's worth it to keep translating them.

I love the Atelier series but that's all the Gust I've had in my life, I might check this out, I assume I don't need to know much of the series to jump in.

I do know that these games have amazing soundtracks, and that's a big plus for me.

kiryogi

Banned
Would it make sense to release Ar no Surge without releasing Ciel? I thought they were supposed to be in the same sequence of games.

I wouldn't be surprised if they passed on Ciel, since I doubt a dating sim will sell. But then again I can't imagine most Gust games sell well in the US anyways, yet apparently it's worth it to keep translating them.
You would certainly benefit greatly. But there is a in-game glossary and on the fly explanations for unfamiliar terms from the first game and some. But I also recommend folks having at least played ar tonelico 1 as well

Terra_Ex

I think it's less it worked fast and it's more like how a pet owner will dangle a treat above their dog and go "who wants a treat?" Asking if people wanted this game localized wasn't done to figure out what to do next, but to tantalize people to grab what they're holding up.

Meanwhile Nobunaga's Ambition is left on the table seemingly because I guess they forgot they were internationally renown as a strategy game company, forgot that Steam would be a good backup (that they're probably using over in Asia anyway) if console sales falter, and the fact the PS4 could really use a wider variety of games.

EDIT: And I'd hope they get some clothing options and what was shown wasn't the default and only option all the time for that character because seriously now.

True enough, and I'd be there day 1 for a new Nobunaga's Ambition if they ever localise it.

Shouta

I loved AT3 myself (not played 1 or 2 and 2s game-breaking bugs put me right off) and will buy this day 1.

Also yes the OST in AT3 was fucking awesome. And from what I've heard so is this games OST.

Hell Gust games have been killing it with their music for the past few years :D

You liked 3 and you haven't played 1 or 2? You should rectify that. 1/2 are good games with a few quirks and a bit rough around the edges. But they look like AAA games compared to AT3. 3 is literally trash-tier as a game and should be struck from the record books.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
We're happy to announce that Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star (PS3) is coming to EU 26/09/2014.

Darn :( No Ciel, no Vita... No NA announcement yet, either. Expected though.

Durante

Too bad about Ciel, but I don't really care about the Vita port. I'm just happy we get it, didn't look to be a lock for a while there.

Benslammin

Neo Member
Sounds interesting but as soon as I hear some JRPG is great I am immediately turned off by the "otakuness" of the artstyle and presentation, I just can't get into it. Same thing happened to me for Persona.

kiryogi

Banned
Was that the Seacats singer in the op movie?

Uh, Akiko Shikata yup. Had to think for a minute what seacats was. . . Lol umineko. Isn't it seagulls? :p

She's been a part of Ar tonelico's stuff since 2 I think?

Also... I feel like EU tends to get these kinds of announcements first with a NA announcement soon after :x

Correction, since the beginning. She's been involved in the entire series. I believe she recently during JP release left a blogpost about it too. :eek:

Zephyx

Happy for those people getting the game. :) Really not a fan of using my PS3 since I don't have a very good TV to plug it into so I'm not getting it.

I hope we get an Ayesha+ though.

Top Bottom