• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen blasts NWA's "Fuck tha Police" during slain officers funeral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Clearly never lost somebody you cared about. Funerals are sacred.

Clearly have man. If member of my fam died, but had done something in his life that hurt another and that person wanted to protest his funeral. I would be pissed but see their point.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Can't blame him at all if his bro and friend were killed by cops. If that's accurate, he's a 16 year old kid with justifiable anger. Of course he's not going to pass up that kind of opportunity to say what he thinks.

The article says there are no records of his brother or friend being killed by the police.

Nepenthe

Clearly never lost somebody you cared about. Funerals are sacred.

I lost my dad three years ago, and he even had a military send-off.

I can easily say I would not murder a 16 year old for somehow interrupting it with music, although I imagine with how I was feeling that day I would nonetheless be pissed.

However, the context is my dad wasn't a police officer, much less a police officer within a highly contested department in an era where the police are being socially scrutinized more than ever because they lack accountability.

In short, my dad's funeral would actually have less reason to be protested than any given officer's, and I still would not have threatened to murder a 16 year old for interrupting it with music.

Because I'm not crazy.

Alienfan

Sympathy for the kid.
Sympathy for the family of the fallen officer.
No sympathy for the police.

I dunno, what do you even add to a story like this? I can understand the hate on the kid's side. It's not gonna go away any time soon and I can't find any sort of wanting to be on the cop's side. I know the easy answer is to go "but it wasn't the right place" but then what is, at that kid's funeral when the police gun him down instead?

Outside the police station when the officers return, virtually anywhere else. The funeral wasn't about the police as an organization, it was like any funeral, a last chance for people to say goodbye to a loved one. The disrespectful stuff aside, it doesn't really make sense to be protesting there in the first place. She didn't do anything, you're not effectively protesting an institution at a funeral .

nel e nel

Ay yo, you insult one cop, you insult every cop! (Even though you shouldn't judge all cops by the actions of one bad cop)

Ahhh, the "few bad apples" argument. I'd like to remind folks that the saying is "a few bad apples ruins the whole bunch". The whole institution is rotten, IMO, because they refuse to remove said bad apples.

Dai101

Banned
What a disgusting thing to say.

Go join Westboro Baptist Church if that's your attitude

If some cunt had interrupted my father's funeral, there wouldn't have been any pieces large enough to find.

NeoGAF's funeral-ruining defence force.

Destroy an innocent family's final goodbye to their loved one!

Absolute inhumanity going on here.

small-violin.gif

Funerals are sacred.

No they don't.

AntoneM

Except it does because half of the thread is saying "understandable because his family was killed unjustly". Take that away and I'd be very curious to know what those people think.

But it doesn't matter. Dude has the right to "speak" without inciting riot. Motivations don't matter.

Nydius

Ahhh, the "few bad apples" argument. I'd like to remind folks that the saying is "a few bad apples ruins the whole bunch". The whole institution is rotten, IMO, because they refuse to remove said bad apples.

Yep. And they refuse to remove them because the other "good" apples actively shield the bad ones for fear of losing their spot in the bushel or fear of being ostracized by other apples, both good ones and bad ones.

It is literally impossible for an average citizen to know if the cop they're interacting with is a good one or a bad one until it's too late. Even then, it doesn't matter as juries and prosecuting attorneys have illustrated time and again.

Cyframe

The level of accountability aimed at this kid is something I wish was directed at police officers. We'd actually get somewhere if people took the attitude aimed at this child and used it to tackle police brutality.

PS. Anyone who thinks is a good thing that this child lost his home for the incident, is someone who lacks moral character. If anything police could have spoken to the landlord and used it as a teachable moment but here we are, chastising a minor who can now be brazenly targeted by police because his image was shared irresponsibly. Incredible.

Outside the police station when the officers return, virtually anywhere else. The funeral wasn't about the police as an organization, it was like any funeral, a last chance for people to say goodbye to a loved one. The disrespectful stuff aside, it doesn't really make sense to be protesting there in the first place. She didn't do anything, you're not effectively protesting an institution at a funeral .

NYPD offcers themselves, the Comissioner and guys like Rep Peter King absolutely made it about the Police as an organization.

And yet really the only one to suffer any consequences and be held to a higher standard is this kid who only did what he did because he just happened to be living in the area

Nepenthe

Let's presume that it's outright confirmed he doesn't know anyone killed by cops.

He still has reason to protest the funeral of a police officer using the song "Fuck tha Police," because it is easily arguable that the institution doesn't deserve respect for the reasons outlined in the song itself.

Now, we can talk about the implications of using this specific officer as the catalyst for this considering how she was murdered, or about the sanctity of funerals, or whether or not he's an asshole, or whatever else.

But that doesn't change the fact that he has a political point, which is that policing has arguably centuries of collateral damage and unjust murders to account.

But it doesn't matter. Dude has the right to "speak" without inciting riot. Motivations don't matter.

We're not dealing with government. It's all about the public image of the situation and the social repercussions that follow as a result and I'd be interested in how people feel about it if they weren't be misled by claims of murdered family without any record of the events taking place. Legally, he was totally in the right to do this and it's this kind of public expression that I'd say is in incredibly poor taste that I don't agree with that is necessary to keep the public expression that I do agree with.

My uncle is a police officer (I suppose I should mention he's not white either), and if this happened to him, I would be absolutely disturbed to read a thread like this from this forum.

4,000 people were gathered including thousands of police officers some from other countries. All funded by tax payers. Police funerals are not like any funeral, they are part of the organisational structure of police authority.

AntoneM

We're not dealing with government. It's all about the public image of the situation and the social repercussions that follow as a result and I'd be interested in how people feel about it if they weren't be misled by claims of murdered family without any record of the events taking place.

We absolutely ARE dealing with government when the government police show up and talk to the 16 year old and convince the landlord to evict them unless he apologized.

Beefy

My uncle is a police officer (I suppose I should mention he's not white either), and if this happened to him, I would be absolutely disturbed to read a thread like this from this forum.

The kid was protesting against the police, not just one person. If it had just been a family event I would think differently.

Nepenthe

4,000 people were gathered including thousands of police officers some from other countries. All funded by tax payers. Police funerals are not like any funeral, they are part of the organisational structure of police authority.

Imagine if victims of police brutality were treated like this courageous woman was at their funerals. That would be something. I mean, at most, Trayvon Martin got a memorial at a black history museum, but that was after months of many people- probably including some of these same police officers- deriding him as a worthless thug who brought about his own demise. It's a little depressing.

Alienfan

Ah I see, that changes it. Still not 100% sold on the funeral being the best place to protest simply because it was also a family event too and the way she was killed was horrific (surely there was some after funeral event he could have done the same thing at), but definitely not as terrible as I thought .

Lime

Police feelings > black and brown lives (as always). I bet you these cops are more concerned with this teenager doing his thing than they are with their colleagues killing and incarcerating minorities across the US.

Fuck the police and fuck the landlord for evicting someone who supposedly lost family

Beefy

Ah I see, that changes it. Still not 100% sold on the funeral being the best place to protest (surely there was some after funeral event he could have done the same thing at), but definitely not as terrible as I thought .

They walked past his apartment

Cyframe

Question. When was the last time 20 police officers showed up to stop the westboro baptist church when they protest funerals? If this is going to start a precedence they I do want it applied evenly.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
We absolutely ARE dealing with government when the government police show up and talk to the 16 year old and convince the landlord to evict them unless he apologized.

Sounds like the landlord made the choice to kick him out on his own.

The officers came by the apartment to tell him to turn that shit off. I'm conflicted about whether I agree with their right to do that. Everything about this situation is awful but I don't blame the officers for going up there one damn bit.

Sounds like the landlord made the choice to kick him out on his own.

A man who identified himself as the apartment's owner later claimed he was going to give the kids the boot over their show of disrespect.

”I left my job, came to the apartment, and told them they have to get out of there," said the man, who only gave the name Jesus and said he had been allowing the siblings to stay there for the week. ”I've got a deep respect for all the police — I didn't know they would do something like that."

That's all that is said about the eviction and I certainly believe the landlord over the kid that lied about having family that was killed.

Getting evicted for it is pure horseshit though. I'd be combing through leases and laws to see if there was a case to sue if I were them.

Sulik2

Kid made a pretty powerful political statement. He and his family need to get out of NYC though or I bet this kid is going to be dead by cop within six months.

RinsFury

The police torment, intimidate, and murder black people and other minorities with impunity. Sorry if I'm not prepared to condemn this kid for his act of defiance against our oppressors.

The police torment, intimidate, and murder black people and other minorities with impunity. Sorry if I'm not prepared to condemn this kid for his act of defiance against our oppressors.
He played a song. If blasting protest music near cops is all it takes I guess I'm a freedom fighter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom