• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 releases June 2nd (PC/XB1/PS4, Season Pass, Eliza, more details)

Seeing some folks say that you can start downloading on PS4, can someone else check for me? Don't have access to my PS4 right now.

I'm only buying Starfire, could careless about the others heh.

I feel I'm the only one bothered by Akuma's and Eliza's inclusion. Anyone else feel the same.

Wait what's wrong with Eliza?

Why do so many people have the game.

Ugh, it feels like years since the last broken street date in Australia.

Last one I remember was Batman: Arkham City. I skipped my lecture and went home with my early copy. Good times.

cordy

Banned
I'm told that Bamco is penny pinching, we get a fairly restrained console release compared to the past and vanilla 7 was the barest of bones. What am I to believe?

I just don't imagine the next Tekken blowing minds with this pattern is all. We'll see?

I'm just fucking antsy. I haven't had a Tekken I liked and really sunk into since T5. Give it to me now!

Yeah man you need to chill.

As long as the arcades are giving Tekken great profit to Bamco, it'll continue to live. Like I said, regardless of how you feel it's still giving them their biggest profit ever in the series. It's not dying with this entry. It's too profitable for them. Relax a bit, regardless of the changes, and just play the game and see how it is.

Just picked up my copy but still waiting for my hori stick to ship. Might just have to fix my TE2 cuz playing pad feels like playing with my feet at this point...

SarusGray

Seeing some folks say that you can start downloading on PS4, can someone else check for me? Don't have access to my PS4 right now.

Wait what's wrong with Eliza?

The EX. Meter and her story line doesn't jive for me nor does her appearance and move set, too similar to Lili and the deceased Anna Williams, same with Akuma's inclusion and how he's canon in the story now.

Scratch that

If Eliza is in, it means my girl Ingrid has a chance. Bring on the ingrid.

Yeah man you need to chill.

As long as the arcades are giving Tekken great profit to Bamco, it'll continue to live. Like I said, regardless of how you feel it's still giving them their biggest profit ever in the series. It's not dying with this entry. It's too profitable for them. Relax a bit, regardless of the changes, and just play the game and see how it is.
Honestly, gameplay-wise I'm sure it's a blast. Can't wait to dive in.

I appreciate the talks off the edge haha. But really, I just want to play it.

I do wish there was a guide though. Going to feel weird not having one filled with my own little notes of homemade combos book marking Yoshi's section.

The EX. Meter and her story line doesn't jive for me nor does her appearance and move set, too similar to Lili and the deceased Anna Williams, same with Akuma's inclusion and how he's canon in the story now.

Yeah I feel you, I mentioned this earlier. Didn't like characters from other universes in SoulCalibur, and don't like Akuma appearing in this one. Feels wrong, takes me out of the game's fiction, and it irks me that he gets a prominent place in the story. But it is what it is.

Probably the only guest character I'd be okay with is Kazuma Kiryu from the Yakuza series.

cordy

Banned
Honestly, gameplay-wise I'm sure it's a blast. Can't wait to dive in.

I appreciate the talks off the edge haha. But really, I just want to play it.

I do wish there was a guide though. Going to feel weird not having one filled with my own little notes of homemade combos book marking Yoshi's section.

Forreal, only a few more days left and honestly I wonder how often I'll be playing because when I think about this? I think back during the T5DR days. All I was doing is going online, customizing my guys, just having good ol fun. Same with the T6 days. I don't remember much besides Scenario and going online. As long as I got my stuff I'm good but it does suck that it's not a complete package for most. Luckily Tekken Team will do well on the post-game DLC or at least I believe they will.

SarusGray

Yeah I feel you, I mentioned this earlier. Didn't like characters from other universes in SoulCalibur, and don't like Akuma appearing in this one. Feels wrong, takes me out of the game's fiction, and it irks me that he gets a prominent place in the story. But it is what it is.

Probably the only guest character I'd be okay with is Kazuma Kiryu from the Yakuza series.

Same but at this point, it seems the Tekken universe is whatever it wants to be. So bring on the fantasy characters!

Normally guest characters in FG's don't bug me sicne they aren't cannon. Akuma should bother me because of this, but because they went all in on it, by making him a center piece and integrating him so firmly in the story, I'm alright with it just to see how they handle it.

Doomshine

I saw this video that is a feature overview of Tekken 7 and nothing indicates that there will be online lobby rooms like in Tekken 5 DR Online, Tekken 6 and TTT2, Would they seriously remove such a big feature?

acsmLZr.png

Grabbed my copy earlier this morning, finished the main story, won my first ranked match: mad in love with the game.
I feel like it's Tekken 3 all over again.

Game looking sharp on my Pro too, curious to see how it runs on regular PS4.

is the campaign as good as netherealms stuff or is it crappy like SFV's?

yyr

I'm divided on the season pass myself, as I don't care at all about guest characters. I never liked seeing Vader, Yoda, Link, and Spawn in SoulCalibur games. It just felt wrong.

I agree, and really appreciate the fact that guest characters are optional DLC. Finally, for the first time, I can completely exclude them from my copy of the game...and this feature comes at no additional cost. I don't mind fighting the players that pick them against me online, I just don't want them in my random select, in my vs. CPU battles, or cluttering up my select screen.

I figure the bonus mode is something like Ball or Bowling rather than a full-on story mode or a no-effort add-on like Time Attack...something cute and fun. We did just see Tekken Ball though, in the Wii U version of Tekken Unlimited, so I don't know if they'd bring it back so soon.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Steam pre-load is up.

I'm also gonna try this on my Surface Pro 4 and hope it runs on the lowest settings and at a low resolution. (Hey, SFV works!)

I checked my J-PSN pre-order and the game should be unlocked for play at 11am tomorrow. Man, I wish I had taken off from work now, lol.

Delpij

is the campaign as good as netherealms stuff or is it crappy like SFV's?

I'd say on par with GG Xrd / Rev. / 2. . It has just the right amount of Tekken humor, and it's interestingly interactive with a giant summary about the whole saga (and gazillions of unlockables, such as previous games cutscenes, other media etc).

Honestly, I don't like MK's campaign that much, it revolves way too much around QTE for my tastes.

BTW, I don't know why you guys don't like Akuma... It blends in perfectly and makes a hell lot of sense in the story.

Onemic

I'd say on par with GG Xrd / Rev. / 2. . It has just the right amount of Tekken humor, and it's interestingly interactive with a giant summary about the whole saga (and gazillions of unlockables, such as previous games cutscenes, other media etc).

Honestly, I don't like MK's campaign that much, it revolves way too much around QTE for my tastes.

BTW, I don't know why you guys don't like Akuma... It blends in perfectly and makes a hell lot of sense in the story.

have you done any of the side stories? How are they? I know they're short but are they still quality in your opinion?

SarusGray

Um did we watch the same story? He actually provides no story relevance besides being a
training dummy for the mishimas
. Its appalling how bad the writing is.

have you done any of the side stories? How are they? I know they're short but are they still quality in your opinion?
The side stories are worse with the only redeeming factor being if you care at all about these two.
Nina and Steve finally get closure

the joke characters become even bigger jokes, and characters that weren't joke characters became jokes.

But knowing that harada will be providing DLC, these will have continuing chapters, because they seem unfinished.

Jaeger

So, Yoshimitsu + Infinite Azure is pretty much a shout out to Bloodborne IMO. lol Seriously, Azure is pretty much the exact same place you fight Rom at. And Yoshi looks all Great One'd up.

Madcatz te2 or te2+, great sticks that are super easy to mod and customize. Love mine to death.

Dat price!

fernoca

Though MKX had only a few QTEs, Injustice 2 has none at least.

Delpij

Um did we watch the same story? He actually provides no story relevance besides being a
training dummy for the mishimas
. Its appalling how bad the writing is.

The side stories are worse with the only redeeming factor being if you care at all about these two.
Nina and Steve finally get closure

the joke characters become even bigger jokes, and characters that weren't joke characters became jokes.

But knowing that harada will be providing DLC, these will have continuing chapters, because they seem unfinished.

Tekken is an Oedipal tragedy. The very reason why Akuma is in the game is not only an interesting take on the love-hate relationship between Kazuya and Heihachi (since
he's here to kill them both
), but also something that takes the Oedipal nature of Tekken to a whole new level (since
Kazumi has asked for her own son to be murdered
).

It's basically the love triangle component that has been missing from the series, considering that
Kazuya has always wanted to avenge his mother by killing his father
, which is also fundamentally Freudian.

It's a great family story and this mode is a fitting conclusion to the saga.

Regarding the side stories, they are in the true spirit of Tekken arcade ending cutscenes for the past 20 years.

SarusGray

Tekken is an Oedipal tragedy. The very reason why Akuma is in the game is not only an interesting take on the love-hate relationship between Kazuya and Heihachi (since
he's here to kill them both
, but also something that takes the nature of Tekken to a whole new level (since
Kazumi has asked for her own son to be murdered

It's basically the love triangle component that has been missing from the series, considering that
Kazuya has always wanted to avenge his mother by killing his father
, which is also fundamentally Freudian.

It's a great family story and this mode is a fitting conclusion to the saga.

Regarding the side stories, they are in the true spirit of Tekken arcade ending cutscenes for the past 20 years.

using a greek term and format doesnt' save the game from a bad story.
All of the sudden, we are expected to feel bad for Heihachi. The story hardly focuses on Jin or any other character for the matter, Jun is still no where to be found, they aren't sure if they are keeping the storyline from tekken 4 canon or not if the devil gene is indeed a gene or something supernatural, and the omitting of classic characters for story reasons are reasons I've yet to see since we have a damn octopus riding a gender ambigious character that gets shuffled between female and male by the developer.

And no this isn't classic tekken endings, there is more questions than answers, more confusion than clarity, and the endings lead us on to us believing there will be more to the story. This is all I can hope for from the DLC. But the character episodes alone are the worse Tekken has seen since Tekken Tag Tournament 1 which wasn't canon so the story not making sense was fine. There are more joke endings than ever for characters which is why I'm led to believe that hopefully the characters that haven't returned yet will come and be in the next bracket of fighters hopefully expanding the storyline for the character episodes.

Delpij

using a greek term and format doesnt' save the game from a bad story.
All of the sudden, we are expected to feel bad for Heihachi. The story hardly focuses on Jin or any other character for the matter, Jun is still no where to be found, they aren't sure if they are keeping the storyline from tekken 4 canon or not if the devil gene is indeed a gene or something supernatural, and the omitting of classic characters for story reasons are reasons I've yet to see since we have a damn octopus riding a gender ambigious character that gets shuffled between female and male by the developer.

I agree with you there are still unanswered questions but I enjoyed the ride very much :)

SarusGray

I agree with you there are still unanswered questions but I enjoyed the ride very much :)

I didn't... lol but to each their own. The gameplay is superb, I hope and pray the DLC answers a lot of questions and we don't have to wait for Tekken 8 to get answers.

ZeroX03

Banned
Question: is Tekken 7 going to be mechanically convoluted as a SFV or even an Injustice 2?

Tekken is less mechanics and execution and more memorization. The new characters in particular have a lot less moves than the older folks and are designed to be pretty easy to pick up and play.

Yo, fuck these character battles/endings.

What did they do to you, Yoshi?

Edit: that ain't passion for your characters and their fans, I'm sorry. Holy shit.

Onemic

I watched the whole thing including character episodes so I wouldn't be hyped when going into it expecting it to be amazing. I'm glad I did. I'm not bothered by spoilers unless its The Last Guardian.

But the story is more than just cutscenes. I guess Im just going into the story mode for the entire experience and not just the story telling angle. The interactivity of the battles and the cutscenes seems really interesting to me imo and unless delp refutes this, it seems(at least from trailers) that it would provide a big part of the enjoyment of the story mode overall.

Side stories are the completely unknown bit to me, so I cant really say anything there.

Top Bottom