• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

It's cool man, whenever's convenient for you.

(phew, new page)

Isn't that the way we always handled the thread?
And thanks for the link.

AAK, does Hwoarang's JSFR have any evasive properties? I feel like I ducked a few highs while doing it... or was I just faster?

Any crouch dash move has high crush properties depending on how long you do a crouch dash. Same way Armor King's dark upper has high crush properties. But yeah, JFSR also in itself has Hwoarang lowering his upper body for a few frames before doing the kick... but don't rely on it!

ixqFPFq4fU61F.jpg

Dereck

Damn, what the heck is this??? This is some amazing content out of left field!
I only know this because I follow his stream, Setno got a new computer, new internet (I think), new xsplit account and a new camera. Last week he said "expect some things next week".

Dereck

Notes from the PrincessLing interview in no order

- he played with dropkick_br
- his new name is Confucius
- got the name PrincessLing from a random player in T6 ranked by the name of PrincessAsuka
- used to main Kazuya in T6, picked up Ling in T6
- wants to learn Hwoarang after playing Speedkicks
- he switched from pad to stick months before StrongStyle, got 9th place
- Bob is dumb, DB 3+4,4 should not be a natural combo
- he played Tag 2 using a pad analog before buying a stick
- is 18 years old
- his tier list is 1. Mishimas, 2. Bob, 3. Lars. 4. Nina 5. Dragunov
- wants to go to Final Round
- has trouble playing against Bruce, and breaking throws
- wants Hwoarang to get throws out of FLA

Sayah

- got the name PrincessLing from a random player in T6 ranked by the name of PrincessAsuka
- used to main Kazuka in T6, picked up Ling in T6
- is 18 years old

Nice breakdown.

I also want to relearn Hwoarang. Unfortunately, stick use did not go well for me. I don't know how long it'll take me to learn but I was completely failing at it.

sasuke_91

Any crouch dash move has high crush properties depending on how long you do a crouch dash. Same way Armor King's dark upper has high crush properties. But yeah, JFSR also in itself has Hwoarang lowering his upper body for a few frames before doing the kick... but don't rely on it!

ixqFPFq4fU61F.jpg

Yeah, JFSR doesn't have a long crouch dash, but his upper body goes really low. The picture shows it very well. I noticed when I played TMM yesterday, my JFSR sometimes just went through his electrics and I could launch him everytime, that's why I wondered.
I won't rely on it, I promise^^

- used to main Kazuya in T6, picked up Ling in T6
- is 18 years old

Thanks for the breakdown. Hwoarang seems to get more popular. Finally gets the recognition he deserves :p
And wow, that's the first time I see Dragunov so high in a tier list.

GGs AAK

Very hard matches to win, much stronger I can tell. I kinda lost my mojo when you spoke about Xiao's AOP. My game kinda fell apart as my emotions took hold. I don't want to rant, but I am kinda sick of people complaining about a stance that is pretty close to useless now.

A stance that gets nerfed every Tekken because everyone complains about it. Just because all characters don't have one single move they can spam all day that beats all flavor of AOP. Hwoarang can hit AOP just fine. Even if he couldn't, why they heck are you scared of a 30+ frame launcher? It takes Xiaoyu 15 frames just to get into AOP... Whats funny is you have JayCee, her SS+3+4 is what Xiao players dream of having one day when Harada stops hating her so much.

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to get it off my chest. Very good games, I really need to stop being so fragile and lose my game on simple comments.

DEATH™

GGs AAK

Very hard matches to win, much stronger I can tell. I kinda lost my mojo when you spoke about Xiao's AOP. My game kinda fell apart as my emotions took hold. I don't want to rant, but I am kinda sick of people complaining about a stance that is pretty close to useless now.

A stance that gets nerfed every Tekken because everyone complains about it. Just because all characters don't have one single move they can spam all day that beats all flavor of AOP. Hwoarang can hit AOP just fine. Even if he couldn't, why they heck are you scared of a 30+ frame launcher? It takes Xiaoyu 15 frames just to get into AOP... Whats funny is you have JayCee, her SS+3+4 is what Xiao players dream of having one day when Harada stops hating her so much.

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to get it off my chest. Very good games, I really need to stop being so fragile and lose my game on simple comments.

I dunno but I think AOP right now is fine... or maybe it's just me lol. Being whooped by Tray reinforces that lol.

One thing I can say, if "hard to win" means you have to think better than the opponent/set up everything instead of doing mindless yolo moves, then yeah I agree, but IMO on the right hands (and right tag partner) Xiaoyu can be dangerous.

--------

Maybe some of you know it already, but yeah, I'm kinda acquainted with Tray (Ling/Confucius) and Kevs (Forsaken). Those guys are chill dudes. and yes, Tray is really young. I wouldn't have met them if I didn't decide to go to Strongstyle, and I really thank them for making the experience awesome. For the circumstances when organizing the Strongstyle trip for each of us, one of us could choose not to go, and the trip will be cancelled. But those guys pulled through. Love those guys.

I'm saying this because I believe that there are players that are good out there, and blaming the game right now for not getting new blood is ridiculous when those new and young players that are good can't even go since they don't have the means to go by themselves.

-------

EDIT: AAK and Sayah, I really wish you could play Tray. AAK you are solid enough and knowledgable enough to give Tray fits and I wanna see how he does against Sayah's Williams offense... You too Pixel... I think you'll love a Xiao mirror lol.

Sayah

Edit: Just finished playing a few ranked matches. Same old stuff.
Never mind. I think I need to take a break from this game. It's at the point where if I keep playing this, I am going to dry out any excitement for Tekken 7. It's time for a long-deserved hiatus while I focus my time on other games.

The last time I got burned out with Tekken was Tekken 5 and a wait till Tekken 6 helped. I've literally been playing ONLY TTT2 for more than two years now and Tekken 6 before that since 2009. I'm really feeling done.

Edit 2: Deleted my old message by accident. Basically, I was saying I could play with that player DEATH this week but after playing this game just now, I think I'm gonna finally shelve TTT2.

AAK

GGs 9p,

LOL, I wasn't complaining. It was just a statement. There is a reason I've made a secondary tournament team with Leo/Julia because of Hwoarang's major flaws. AOP isn't the only thing that's a problem, Chreddy's RLX is another thing Hwoarang really can't do much about. I just made the comment about Hwoarang doing b+3 to hit you out of AOP as a response for when you asked after that 3rd-4th game about how to win. I was just saying that I'm doing something pretty risky and you can really punish me for it. The one last comment I'll make is that when you played Steve, I never felt any retaliation when Julia was putting you through her FC mixups. There weren't enough mids to keep me honest like you were doing with Xiaoyu.

And it's not the 30 frame launcher that I'm scared about... it's the entire package of having the auto-sidestep and the high-(mid) crush property into whatever okizeme you can induce after that is super scary. I began my offense quite a few times with Hwoarang's d+3,4 and AOP's auto-sidestep would have flushed it out had you done it. Even though IMO it is a little obnoxious, I'm OK with Xiaoyu having it in her arsenal. The same way I'm OK with Yoshimitsu having Fubuki knee safe or Baek having b+1 safe. Those characters need it. And especially in AOP's case, hopkicks can really ruin it. Especially for me being a Julia main (and hence the backup Leo I have). Of coarse I'd have preferred it Namco went back and tried to make 8 fr jabs + health differentials among characters to balance rather than a rule-breaking move... but with the way the game is currently balanced it's cool.

Stuff that doesn't belong is indeed Lars's d/f+2 or Chreddy b+1,4.... those characters DO NOT need such good buttons.

@Death... I've played PL before on ranked. I've never won once. The closest I've ever gotten was by pitbulling him for the first 2 rounds throwing launchers non-stop and getting lucky, but when he turtled the rest of the match I couldn't touch him. I don't expect to beat him now either, the man beat SpeedKicks! And SpeedKicks is a guy who never even found me good enough to fight mains against. I couldn't even beat SK's Asuka/Bruce team once. So I am still a loooong way away from being able to give PL a run for his game. The best player on GAF to take on PL would easily be AV2k.

@Sayah :( But I understand.... give yourself a break. But if it really is the end of TTT2 for you....

Old-Snake-Salute-300x168.jpg

GG's bro... been a ton of fun!

Sayah

@AAK Had a lot of fun times. GGs.

I faced heartsupernoob...or whatever and this guy was still online playing and was very likely using a lag switch for his promo match. And then I messaged him about it and suddenly the lag went away the next two matches I faced him. At that point, I was like "I'm done." lol. But that wasn't the sole cause of it all. I'm just burned out.

AAK

Yeah, when I get burned out of Julia so much I jump to a lot of other characters and have fun again. I've been playing a ton of Raven recently. I'm still in the middle of learning Baek/Zafina.... Not gonna shelve TTT2 until I've played a good amount of Marduk and Jun too... so many good playstyles I've yet to experience that I won't be able to in T7. TTT2's farewell shall be delayed until I know I've gotten the unique experiences from it.

Dereck

When I'm doing things like lows over and over, or grabbing randomly, or sidestepping a lot, I'm really trying to see how my opponent reacts to those actions, it may seem like trolling.

When I'm doing things like lows over and over, or grabbing randomly, or sidestepping a lot, I'm really trying to see how my opponent reacts to those actions, it may seem like trolling.

Idk how it does. Seems like typical gameplay to me.

and hwoarang should at least get f2+3 out of FLA if baek is gone.

Degen

I'm messing around with a new team and wanna try it on you catdogs at some point

Training mode and playing friends are obviously not the best practice so I need some online warriors to kick my ass until I learn something

Dereck

I'm messing around with a new team and wanna try it on you catdogs at some point

Training mode and playing friends are obviously not the best practice so I need some online warriors to kick my ass until I learn something
Uh..dude, add me

ID: legsock

Death
I was complimenting AAK on being hard to win against. He is a lot better than I remember. I definitely had to pull out special strats of mine like Xiao d+1 zoning to win to games I did (AAK won the set). I have played Princess_Ling aka Tray aka Confucius a few times online. It was 3 bars because I am GA and he is Cali. I don't remember who won more between me and him online, but it was close for sure. I was honestly surprised by his Strong Style performance. I was certainly rooting for him, but I felt like So Shoe Me was too much of a crutch for him to get far. I unfortunately had to cancel my own Strong Style trip.

AAK
Xiaoyu can't AOP anything except highs from Hwoarang after d+3,4 on hit. You can be as low as +4 or +5 and hit her with a mid that never touches AOP otherwise. If there is anything Hwoarang has going for him it's plus frames. The sidestep AOP can muddy things up a bit, but her 30 frame launcher just became a 40 frame launcher. Even still in our fights I used SSR~AOP at least once a round and only managed once to successfully evade.

AAK

Dang, got a full GAF lobby today!

AAK
Xiaoyu can't AOP anything except highs from Hwoarang after d+3,4 on hit. You can be as low as +4 or +5 and hit her with a mid that never touches AOP otherwise. If there is anything Hwoarang has going for him it's plus frames. The sidestep AOP can muddy things up a bit, but her 30 frame launcher just became a 40 frame launcher. Even still in our fights I used SSR~AOP at least once a round and only managed once to successfully evade.

Yeah, not on hit, but I was referring to beginning the d+3,4 offense and how SS AOP was the bane of my existence. I can't articulate it very well since I myself don't understand it as much but I have played A LOT of ranked matches online against guys like Heartsupernoob and another Jin/Ling player called Red Velvet or something like that that would own & demote me repeatedly with it (and when I started the Leo/Julia team). I have modified my game quite a bit to not rely on it as much so maybe that could be a difference.

AAK

Damn, the Terra curse lives on....

the second he came online everyone left haha. GGs everyone.

Fun games overall. Too bad AAK had to turn it into a hopkick fest at the end. >:p *salty* lol

What do you think is the main appeal of Leo to a Hwoarang player :p

sasuke_91

What do you think is the main appeal of Leo to a Hwoarang player :p
Whenever I tag in with Leo -> instant hopkick :D
Leo's df+2 also has insane range.
As a Hwo/Steve player, I know exactly how you feel :p

Full GAF lobby sounds fun. In Europe, it's just Doomshine, GrayFoxPL and me. We can't even fill a lobby^^

What do you think the main draw to Steve for me is? Yeah, less of the spam launchers and win style. Will be glad when Tekken goes back solo so being punished for a failed launcher actually means something. I can not blame you guys for doing what works in Tag 2. My interest in the game just falls when people just go nuts. Knowing that if I max punish a launcher everytime, they still have 12 chances to hit me and only 1 and a half successes to KO with the best teams.

Manbig

Yeah, when I get burned out of Julia so much I jump to a lot of other characters and have fun again. I've been playing a ton of Raven recently. I'm still in the middle of learning Baek/Zafina.... Not gonna shelve TTT2 until I've played a good amount of Marduk and Jun too... so many good playstyles I've yet to experience that I won't be able to in T7. TTT2's farewell shall be delayed until I know I've gotten the unique experiences from it.

You already know who to look up for that. I also happen to be done with school until Fall 2015.

AAK

What do you think the main draw to Steve for me is? Yeah, less of the spam launchers and win style. Will be glad when Tekken goes back solo so being punished for a failed launcher actually means something. I can not blame you guys for doing what works in Tag 2. My interest in the game just falls when people just go nuts. Knowing that if I max punish a launcher everytime, they still have 12 chances to hit me and only 1 and a half successes to KO with the best teams.

Hmm... are you sure about solo games making punishing launchers better than TTT2? I believe they increased the neutral game damage more in TTT2 compared to T6 along with making hopkicks -13 rather than something lower in previous games. I could be wrong. I do believe those changes made punishing hopkicks more dangerous this time than before. But I guess having two health bars does change things a bit... however that's why in the back of my mind I try to make sure I can't let my opponent tag out safely unless I need to tag out more importantly. It's another skill I need to improve on.

The hopkick bonanza kinda started when I was angry at myself for getting hit by so many of Ling's d/b+4. When they started working I kinda started relying on them a bit too much haha... not a good thing to become so predictable.

Hey AAK,
Been a while, do you have any more pics like those? (The JFSR one).

If my memory serves me correctly... some Korean artist did them for tekkencentral way back in the DR or T6.0 days. It was posted in the gallery section of the site and I had to steal it. I'm pretty sure that artist did a version for Jin and Paul too, lemme check.

EDIT:

Boom:
ibaclNh2TBLm6O.jpg

Can't seem to find the Jin one with him doing his EWHF... maybe I never saved it... but it's rare for me to see an artwork I like and not save it. Since it is pretty old maybe it's on my ancient old computer that could have been in one of the folders I forgot to back up to my current hard drive. boo :(

If anyone finds it please do relay it to me.

You already know who to look up for that. I also happen to be done with school until Fall 2015.

Yo Nice! I might just do that.

Never apologize for throwing out hopkicks...lol

Everything is this game is punishable. 50% combos flying everywhere thanks to the tag system and such. Even grounded hits do more.

Yet the game still takes forever to finish....

AAK

GGs yesterday Famicom/bout!

It's a shame I don't get to play you more Famicom.... you style is even more patient than anyone else here on GAF. I loved that match where your Dragunov started poking at the beginning of the round with a low... and for the rest of the match you did nothing but mids and turtle.... was so perfect haha!

Also, recently I just saw Ryan Hart post this vid of his SBO2006 match in Tekken 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGOX6dAlPQ8&index=1&list=UUR2YesXIjm8N_9D8DFavJTA

Man was Tekken so different back then. It really did look like characters only had like 15 or so moves. I guess there really were way too many useless moves. I'm glad Tekken has come this far for making uses of all the moves we see today.

AAK
Well, let's talk Tekken 5 DR/Tekken Revolution. Characters have 145/150 health in both games. And even though punishers do half as much damage as in TTT2, you don't see nearly as much juggle starters beyond whiff punishment. That is the time in which I grew up in Tekken. A launcher was only for whiffs. But maybe I feel that way more than others because Xiaoyu's d/f+2~1 was launch punishable in T5DR. I could not just throw it out.

And to speak on TR, I don't see very many launchers in that game either. Even invincible moves are forgotten at high levels in TR. I guess it is old man syndrome to love a more poke style Tekken. Back when you had to stay on top of your game, because 4 throws KO'd and pokes actually added up to be a threat, and if you got launched you lost a grip in a matter of seconds not minutes.

Sorry for complaining, I will remember the Mr.Naps calling to Aris and try to adapt better. I am just beyond the stage of getting mad about it. I want to cry when a game of Tekken turns into a "just do it" fest and there is nothing I can do to turn it back into a thinking man's game. Time to go play some Chess for the holidays and get happy again. Merry Christmas Tekken Gaf!

Dereck

AAK, yesterday I downloaded a quite a bit of data about Julia, that fucking jerk has a two throw that can only be broken by pressing 1+2, and half of her moves that look like grabs are blockable, SMH

Not SMH at Julia, but SMH that it took me this long to figure this out.

Sorry for complaining, I will remember the Mr.Naps calling to Aris and try to adapt better. I am just beyond the stage of getting mad about it. I want to cry when a game of Tekken turns into a "just do it" fest and there is nothing I can do to turn it back into a thinking man's game. Time to go play some Chess for the holidays and get happy again. Merry Christmas Tekken Gaf!

While Naps has a point, it really only applies if you really want to get better at the game. If you don't like it, you don'r like it.

AAK

AAK
Well, let's talk Tekken 5 DR/Tekken Revolution. Characters have 145/150 health in both games. And even though punishers do half as much damage as in TTT2, you don't see nearly as much juggle starters beyond whiff punishment. That is the time in which I grew up in Tekken. A launcher was only for whiffs. But maybe I feel that way more than others because Xiaoyu's d/f+2~1 was launch punishable in T5DR. I could not just throw it out.

And to speak on TR, I don't see very many launchers in that game either. Even invincible moves are forgotten at high levels in TR. I guess it is old man syndrome to love a more poke style Tekken. Back when you had to stay on top of your game, because 4 throws KO'd and pokes actually added up to be a threat, and if you got launched you lost a grip in a matter of seconds not minutes.

Yeah, it is true that we see more launchers in TTT2 than before... but I think that has more to do with the balance of the characters rather than the system. And when the character didn't have such a tool like Steve, you don't see launchers at all, not even in T6 when he was top tier. I wasn't a legitimate Tekken player in the DR days but from the vids I've seen, launchers and the 50/50's they presented after looked just as dangerous as today's game:

krtrdd.gif

mixjgv.gif

And I definitely agree with the lack of punishable launchers in TR... that game has the added damage to grounded hits and a lower health bar and then a bunch of characters have their stats amplify its destructive nature. In that game, punishes mean death.

AAK, yesterday I downloaded a quite a bit of data about Julia, that fucking jerk has a two throw that can only be broken by pressing 1+2, and half of her moves that look like grabs are blockable, SMH

Not SMH at Julia, but SMH that it took me this long to figure this out.

Haha, I had no idea you thought those throw transitions were actual grabs. Those new additions to Julia is what motivated me to main her in the first place. And the Deja Vu qcb,f+2 throw right now has always been a staple. It was one of those grabs like Kings' Giant Swing where the throw hold animation was an outlier from the rest of the cast and you had to adapt to it. That throw also has a HUUUGE buffer window. I dunno if you've seen it, but I can do qcb, and then dash forward a little bit and then hit f+2 and the throw animation will still come out. It's so deadly but it's been in the game since Tag 1 according to Bronson. Just be grateful that it's not Mad Axes from T6, the throw back then had even better okizeme :p

Damn that Paul art looks sick! I'll try googling it and see if I can find the Jin one.
EDIT: Was this the image?
68762657_18.jpg

Definitely looks like his art style. I thought it would have the silhouette of the startup of the move similar to Hwoarang and Paul's versions but it's been so long since I saw it that it's a wonder I even remember the artist did a version with Jin :p.

And yeah, if you want more artwork portraying characters doing their signature moves I can periodically upload some of the stuff from my computer and post them up in this thread. Most the artwork is just random poses and such, I'll probably just manually search and find some and post them here whenever I can. I actually kind of enjoy looking through them reminiscing the good celebration of Tekken's character design before Tekken's fan art after Tekken 5 became non stop kawaii/fan-service pics of Lili/Asuka and now worst of all... Lucky Chloe :(

I dunno how much of coincidence it is that the Tekken fan-art train in their prime decelerated simultaneously when Namco stopped evolving their character designs.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
Makes me think what tekken would look like cell shaded (SFxT doesn't count, I hate that art style). I'd rather have something stylised than hyper realistic.

GrayFoxPL

DEATH™;144655003 said:
Merry Christmas TekkenGAF!

Late Marry X-mass/Happy Holidays!

iDUOmQkoawPMB.jpg

Yeah, it is true that we see more launchers in TTT2 than before... but I think that has more to do with the balance of the characters rather than the system. And when the character didn't have such a tool like Steve, you don't see launchers at all, not even in T6 when he was top tier. I wasn't a legitimate Tekken player in the DR days but from the vids I've seen, launchers and the 50/50's they presented after looked just as dangerous as today's game:

krtrdd.gif

mixjgv.gif

And I definitely agree with the lack of punishable launchers in TR... that game has the added damage to grounded hits and a lower health bar and then a bunch of characters have their stats amplify its destructive nature. In that game, punishes mean death.

Haha, I had no idea you thought those throw transitions were actual grabs. Those new additions to Julia is what motivated me to main her in the first place. And the Deja Vu qcb,f+2 throw right now has always been a staple. It was one of those grabs like Kings' Giant Swing where the throw hold animation was an outlier from the rest of the cast and you had to adapt to it. That throw also has a HUUUGE buffer window. I dunno if you've seen it, but I can do qcb, and then dash forward a little bit and then hit f+2 and the throw animation will still come out. It's so deadly but it's been in the game since Tag 1 according to Bronson. Just be grateful that it's not Mad Axes from T6, the throw back then had even better okizeme :p

Definitely looks like his art style. I thought it would have the silhouette of the startup of the move similar to Hwoarang and Paul's versions but it's been so long since I saw it that it's a wonder I even remember the artist did a version with Jin :p.

And yeah, if you want more artwork portraying characters doing their signature moves I can periodically upload some of the stuff from my computer and post them up in this thread. Most the artwork is just random poses and such, I'll probably just manually search and find some and post them here whenever I can. I actually kind of enjoy looking through them reminiscing the good celebration of Tekken's character design before Tekken's fan art after Tekken 5 became non stop kawaii/fan-service pics of Lili/Asuka and now worst of all... Lucky Chloe :(

I dunno how much of coincidence it is that the Tekken fan-art train in their prime decelerated simultaneously when Namco stopped evolving their character designs.

Nice gifs.

I really liked T4 and T5/DR tempo. Really fast. Fast is good, fast is right. I dreamed T7 would be even faster then DR. I really hope the Korean build is just a fluke. Game should be as fast as possible not for some tournament audience pleasure nonsense but for players. Those who are losing will take "quick death" much easier then 6-7 minute torture-molestation. Boom - you lost, no time to beat yourself up over it, play again right away.

Also DR was the last time I liked wall game. Just quick series and it's done. The wall bound-tag made for some obnoxious combos with heavy preference to specific characters. At least T7 gets rid of wall bound, though the physics work like T6/Tag2 now.
I preffer faster DR wall fall off.

CookedUnlinedGalapagossealion.gif

That's Knee vs Nin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom