• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack: Driver runs over Muslim pedestrians leaving Mosque in London

Skyzard

Banned
No problem calling it islamic terrorism (often as soon as a whiff of muslim is spotted) but can't call out right-wing terrorism.

_Rob_

Damn, Londoners can't catch a break recently. Regardless of intent or ideology, I just wish people would stop killing each other.

Got

Banned
You don't think that perhaps the Manchester and London attacks in the past month may have been a contributing factor too? I despise the Daily Mail as much as the next man and can see the damage they do, but you missed a fairly significant contributing factor, to suit your own politics. Bit sleazy.

Much like Brexiters missing the bigoted and racist intent of a large swath of supporters of that debacle. Hmmm, interesting. A lot sleazy.

Gah this is terrible...what the hell was this idiot doing or trying to achieve? Very, very sad to hear about this incident and my heart goes out to those involved and the families affected.

I used to live pretty near Seven Sisters, although I don't exactly remember where the mosque is.

Skyzard

Banned
I've heard one is dead :(

It's not been fully clear if that man had already collapsed and was receiving cpr, before the car mowed into the people at his aid.
He could have died as result of that but out of those injured by the car directly, I don't think any have been reported as fatal injuries yet thankfully.

-Though he could have been hit too, I don't think it's been clarified yet.

Edit:
8:29am
Police chief: Incident treated as terrorist attack; man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder
The man who died in the Finsbury Park incident was already receiving first aid from members of the public and it is not yet known if his death was caused by the attack, Metropolitan Police deputy assistant commissioner Neil Basu said.

Mr Basu said the incident is being treated as a "terrorist attack" and thanked members of the public for restraining the suspect who has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.
8:16am
Witness: 'The van drove at them and ran over the old man'
Sultan Ahmed, 34, whose uncle witnessed the attack said the driver shouted: "Kill all Muslims" as he ploughed into the crowd of worshippers, reports Crime Correspondent Martin Evans.

He said the victim was an elderly Bangladeshi man who had just left the Muslim Welfare Mosque on Seven Sisters Road. Mr Ahmed, a charity worker, said:

"My uncle had just left the mosque when an elderly man who was in front of him fell ill and collapsed on the ground.

"A group of worshippers were crowding round to help him when the van drove at them and ran over the old man. There were at least two others who looked to be in a very bad way.

"My uncle said the driver had shouted "I want to kill all Muslims'. There were also reports that the van had been parked over the road waiting for people to leave the mosque."

Mr Ahmed claimed that a total of three men were in the van, but two had escaped. However, police said "no other suspects at the scene have been identified or reported" to the force.
source

Lime

Given that it's the counter terrorism police in command of the incident, that operation Plato has been activated again across London, that the PM classed it a terrorist attack and that every newspaper in the country (even the appalling Daily Mail) is calling a terrorist attack I'm not really sure why the semantics of definition are under question here.

It's a terrorist attack. It's being treated and called a terrorist attack by everybody involved.

It's because terrorist attack usually refers to the Muslim/Middle-Eastern kind. That's why some people are hesitant this time around (and all the other past examples).

Trokil

Banned
Much like Brexiters missing the bigoted and racist intent of a large swath of supporters of that debacle. Hmmm, interesting. A lot sleazy.

I am impressed how each attack is used to lecture the British about Brexit. Always implying it is their fault.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Their breaking news headline banner is still "Finsbury Park Attack" Still.

These things always move more slowly than the actual story. Expect the headline for the live news that to lag behind as well. As they have done in all similar stories.

Seriously, if you're looking for ville hypocrisy and double standards in the next few days you won't be disappointed. You can find plenty of it already. But don't go looking for it where it isn't.

Got

Banned
I am impressed how each attack is used to lecture the British about Brexit. Always implying it is their fault.

You'd have to be very ignorant to pull that from what I wrote. Or just someone who incorrectly thinks they're the true victim.

cartesian

Their breaking news headline banner is still "Finsbury Park Attack" Still.
Yes, and they used the same words to describe in Manchester and London - "Manchester Arena attack" and "London Bridge attack".

It's not a conspiracy. That's just the form of words the BBC usually uses to describe a terror incident.

Pretty much everyone is calling this a terror attack now. I think this semantics debate had run its course.

No problem calling it islamic terrorism (often as soon as a whiff of muslim is spotted) but can't call out right-wing terrorism.

Dear god this post.

If the media didn't call it terrorism because it involved a non Muslim you'd be up in arms about double standards. Now it's being called terrorism it's still not good enough. Has to be called right wing terrorism.

Do people even know what right wing even means any more? Was the guy a neonazi? You can have left wing terrorism as well you know.

Skyzard

Banned
Dear god this post.

If the media didn't call it terrorism because it involved a non Muslim you'd be up in arms about double standards. Now it's being called terrorism it's still not good enough. Has to be called right wing terrorism.

Do people even know what right wing even means any more? Was the guy a neonazi? You can have left wing terrorism as well you know.

Don't like the right-wing being lumped together with terrorists, weird that.

My bad, he's obviously extreme left.

But the definition of terrorism does not fit this:

The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

In pursuit of political aims? I don't think so.
You're genuinely trying to say this guy likely didn't have political aims? Get you head out of the sand.

Given that the right wing has been stoking fears of Islam for years now and all the people who take issue with Muslims are right wing. Its not a stretch at all.

Are you just upset because you consider yourself 'right wing'?

Dear god this post.

No shit there's left wing terrorism. Anyone who lived in the 60s and 70s could tell you that and there was no issue with categorization either.

Dear god this post.

It's not the left that has problems with Islam. That's very much a right wing agenda.

Name one left wing terrorism attack that does

SteveWD40

Shameful shit, no one is talking about this at work at all, contrast that to after the London attack when everyone in the office was a Foreign Policy expert...

The narrative amongst the masses will be one of massive indifference and quietly assuming "they" had it coming. Makes me fucking sick.

Don't like the right-wing being lumped together with terrorists, weird that.

My bad, he's obviously extreme left.

-radical right-wing terror is a bit better isn't it?

Don't care about who's being lumped together. My point is crying at the media for apparently not reporting it to fit your narrative. Like I said people would be up in arms if it wasn't callled terrorism, now that it is, still not good enough.

The point is, terrorism is a method that all extreme ideologies have used and can use. The left did it with Weather Underground, the IRA used it, McVeigh used it, and religious extremists obviously use it.

There's no monopoly on a method.

Don't care about who's being lumped together. My point is crying at the media for apparently not reporting it to fit your narrative. Like I said people would be up in arms if it wasn't callled terrorism, now that it is, still not good enough.
Nobody is 'crying at the media' about this, everyone is just calling it 'right wing terrorism' and you've got your knickers in a twist about it for a reason that you're likely not going to share.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Shameful shit, no one is talking about this at work at all, contrast that to after the London attack when everyone in the office was a Foreign Policy expert...

The narrative amongst the masses will be one of massive indifference and quietly assuming "they" had it coming. Makes me fucking sick.
This is the worst part. When Muslim lives are lost it has no meaning. Ignoring and devaluing their pain leads to more terrorist attacks, and so continues the cycle. Islamic lives must be valued if further terrorist attacks are to be prevented.

Skyzard

Banned

No, it's not. Muslim hate crimes have increased dramatically and you're in another terrorist attack thread directly targeting muslims.

Why would it be enough? Clarify it.

Hopefully they will do just that.

China and Xijiang
Older the league of militant Atheist.
A real left wing organisation has a moral duty to attack all religion to fight obscurantism.

holy shit, lol

Sanjay

These things always move more slowly than the actual story. Expect the headline for the live news that to lag behind as well. As they have done in all similar stories.

Seriously, if you're looking for ville hypocrisy and double standards in the next few days you won't be disappointed. You can find plenty of it already. But don't go looking for it where it isn't.

Comparing to Sky News who are covering it as it should be. Sky News rotate their headline, this is one of their current headline "Terrorist attack in North london"

BBC just changed their breaking news headline banner just now from "Finsbury attack" to "London Mosque Attack"

BBC are taking the piss.

Sorry we insulted the right wing supporters so please accept their apologies on our behalf.

Oops what I meant to say was that someone died, ten people are seriously injured and a large group of our society are scared and you're more concerned with the right wing being offended at the finger being pointed there way.

Get a grip

Dopus

Banned
China and Xijiang
Older the league of militant Atheist.
A real left wing organisation has a moral duty to attack all religion to fight obscurantism.

This is getting ridiculous. China isn't left-wing unless you take party names at face value. And just what is this "real left" nonsense.

Kworn

Banned
Comparing to Sky News who are covering it as it should be. Sky News rotate their headline, this is one of their current headline "Terrorist attack in North london"

BBC just changed their breaking news headline banner just now from "Finsbury attack" to "London Mosque Attack"

BBC are taking the piss.

Maybe the BBC do not want to scare people on a Monday morning?

Don't you think people are scared enough?

Isn't that the idea behind terrorism?

Maledict

BBC are taking the piss.

This is how the BBC reports things. It's what they did with Manchester. They are very cautious in labeling incidents until an official police statement goes out, and even then it takes time.

Seriously, I don't understand this thread at all. Every part of government and the media is treating it as a terrorist attack. The fact your colleagues at work aren't talking about it doesn't mean it's not a terrorist attack. I'd also say that given the events of the last month, and the ongoing Grenfell Fire issues (with the press reporting higher casualties expected this morning), and the fact that thankfully this attack only appears to have killed one person, I'm not surprised it's not top of everyone's conversation list.

milanbaros

Member?

BBC are taking the piss.

The thing is, BBC breakfast has been calling it a terrorist attack for ages. Nobody is trying to change the narrative.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man

BBC are taking the piss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-manchester-40007967
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-40008389
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-40290372
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40012738

Oh look. 'Manchester attack'.

Again, there aren't double standards here, except your own. The BBC is reporting this in the same way as they have reported every terror attack.

Again, there are far better targets for your anger out there.

Maybe the BBC do not want to scare people on a Monday morning?

Don't you think people are scared enough?

Isn't that the idea behind terrorism?
Oh you've changed your tune.

First its 'terrorism, really?'

and now its 'c'mon guys, people are scared enough, lets not let terrorism win!'

You couldn't be more transparent.

Weckum

It's probably their editorial policy to call them attacks, not terrorist attacks. I know Al Jazeera English does the same thing. No matter who the perp is, they won't call it terrorist attack unless it's a direct quote.

And there's something to be said about that, since one person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter.

Bloke on Sky News this morning saying it took between 45 minutes and an hour before the police and ambulance arrived at the scene.

Compare that to the 8 minutes it took for armed police to shoot down three Muslim men the other week.

Doesn't look great does it?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The man arrested is lucky to be alive.

Bloke on Sky News this morning saying it took between 45 minutes and an hour before the police and ambulance arrived at the scene.

Compare that to the 8 minutes it took for armed police to shoot down three Muslim men the other week.

Doesn't look great does it?

It's been reported that the response time was 10 minutes.

Top Bottom