• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack: Driver runs over Muslim pedestrians leaving Mosque in London

Dopus

Banned
"at this early stage"
"however the investigation continues"

I am going to be shocked when 2 more are arrested but they "didn't want to alert the suspects" - (new) standard practice.

Hope I'm wrong, because that's some nasty stuff.

Indeed.

This is so scary. There was a Muslim teen murdered last night on her way home from prayers in the US, the Quebec mosque shooting and now this. It's becoming so unstable that it's just not safe to be a practicing Muslim.

But what's really sickening is that the general consensus is that the Muslim community in the U.K. "had it coming" or that this is somehow "revenge". All terrorism is branded as "revenge". It's not "unfortunate" that the "wrong people were targeted" it's just murder, plain and simple.

It's basically become an us versus them narrative, which leaves the vast majority of moderate Muslims in extreme jeopardy. I think that with the way this situation is headed in a few years time it will no longer be possible to be a Muslim in Western/ European countries.

Much right wing politics is predicated on having a "them" group to blame. The "us vs them" has pretty much always been there, at times it was a bit more covert than now, but make no mistake. It has always been a thing.

It's especially hard for some to call it terrorism because any Islamic terrorism attack has been the fault of Muslims and it's Muslims who should be showing remorse and Muslims who should be doing more to stop it and the responsibility is Islam. When you push that narrative it's hard to paint "one of your own" as a terrorist.

Indeed.

Go away with your U.S. political point scoring. Take it to a thread that deserves it.

Or you could argue the point, because it's not like the UK is some mythical place free of the same mentality. Especially when you have political parties who act just like ours in how they frame incidents committed by PoC.

nah, his posts generally have substance and are on point. I see why that scares you. Facing your own countries bigotry issues can be hard. The UK isn't free from that.

lol give it a rest

What was wrong with his post if I might ask?

Because so far people haven't shied away from calling this what it is. Counter terrorism officers are investigating and the PM is calling it a terrorist attack as is the media. I'm sitting here watching the coverage and it's nothing like people are implying.

Reading all the replies in that thread.

I can't handle the fact that every discussion chain is starting with people being smug or insinuating that it's their fault for being muslim or that it's an eye for an eye.

Can you fucking imagine if British Muslims were all over Twitter condoning the lo don and Manchester attacks???????

The people run down yesterday could easily have been people who have attended vigils for those attacks, prayed for those affected, or even known people attacked.

Then after they themselves become victims, they find people are openly quite happy that someone has run over some muslims minding their own business.

So depressing man.

Got

Banned
lol give it a rest

No.

Much right wing politics is predicated on having a "them" group to blame. The "us vs them" has pretty much always been there, at times it was a bit more covert than now, but make no mistake. It has always been a thing.

Indeed.

Or you could argue the point, because it's not like the UK is some mythical place free of the same mentality. Especially when you have political parties who act just like ours in how they frame incidents committed by PoC.

Yeah, the use of the "other" is a very real problem and cowards are afraid to even confront that issue in and of itself.

Terrorism? Yep, I'd label it that way and it's always the innocent majority that pay the price in the end. Thoughts with the innocent.

Reading about the history of that mosque...

• opened in 1994 in a ceremony attended by Prince Charles
  • became notorious when Abu Hamza al-Masri became the imam in 1997. Hamza, who had one eye and no hands and used hook devices, lied that the injuries were suffered when he fought for al-Qaeda against Russian forces in Afghanistan
  • in a sermon he spoke about the need for Jihad: “Allah likes those who believe in Him who kill those who do not believe in Him. Allah likes that. So if you Muslims don’t like that because you hate the blood, there is something wrong with you.”
  • mosque became a meeting point for militant Islam’s most notorious figures. Zacarias Moussaoui, 9/11’s alleged 20th hijacker, and shoe bomber Richard Reid, were among those to attend the mosque
  • more than 100 officers from London Metropolitan Police raided and shut down the mosque in 2003 over the alleged bioterrorism plot to attack the London Underground rail system
  • mosque was reclaimed in 2005 by the local Muslim community with the backing of the Muslim Association of Britain
  • classified US documents released by Wikileaks in April 2011 said the mosque has served as a “haven” for Islamic extremists. According to the files, 35 men has passed through Finsbury Park Mosque before being sent to fight against allied forces in Afghanistan
  • 2014, HSBC bank closed the mosque’s bank account after a report by Reuters, who had to apologise and pay £10,000 in damages after legal action over the report by the mosque
  • 2015, the mosque was one of about 20 across the UK that took part in an open day organised by the MCB to promote better understanding of Islam following the Islamist-inspired terrorist attacks in Paris
  • Dec 2015, it was subjected to an attempted arson attack when a man holding a jerry can full of petrol, attempted to ignite it and threw it into the building
  • today's deplorable events

Man, that's a roller coaster.

Got

Banned
I blame racist news media in the U.K. and the politicians stoking the fires of islamophobia

Most definitely. When an issue like Brexit is successful after being used as cudgel to destroy immigrants and their humanity there's a definite issue in the country at large. The recent election and the ability of its better citizenry to be able to come together in these harder times gives me some modicum of hope.

ittoryu

lol give it a rest

Because so far people haven't shied away from calling this what it is. Counter terrorism officers are investigating and the PM is calling it a terrorist attack as is the media. I'm sitting here watching the coverage and it's nothing like people are implying.
Not all the media to be fair, the Mirror was reporting something completely different, goingby what I saw on Twitter. To be fair, I am not really clear on why you are attacking the other poster so much, but yeah...

Daffy Duck

Well I certainly hope this isn't a Pandora's box type scenario here, watching the news cover this one (of it's true the guy is white) is going to be interesting.

Just saw someone from the area on the BBC saying this should not be labelled as someone with mental issues, and I 100% agree with him, whether you are Christian, Muslim or otherwise it's a terrorist attack.

Such awful news.

RIP :(

Got

Banned
Not all the media to be fair, the Mirror was reporting something completely different, goingby what I saw on Twitter. To be fair, I am not really clear on why you are attacking the other poster so much, but yeah...

Knee jerk reaction I'd guess. It's hard to confront bias in your own culture, if he's a Brit which I'm assuming he is. Though he does seem to want to say we as Americans have no say in calling that garbage out. Odd, as I live in the UK for most of the year and have for the past 7 years so I think I have a right to comment on it as much as the next person, regardless of my nationality.

Throw the book at this idiot. Also prayers for those affected. There is enough pain an suffering in this world without having clowns like this adding to the pile

RenditMan

Banned
They better not pin the whole 'he clearly has mental health' issues on this fucker...

Anyone who does stuff like this has mental issues. Terrorists or otherwise.

He was demanding to be killed it appears, not your average fully functional citizen.

slider

Hey, fuckwit, you care so much about your country but you wanna tie up people's hands with further shit. As if we haven't got enough to deal with on the social cohesion front.

What a pathetic cunt.

milanbaros

Member?
Terrorism? Yep, I'd label it that way and it's always the innocent majority that pay the price in the end. Thoughts with the innocent.

Reading about the history of that mosque...

• opened in 1994 in a ceremony attended by Prince Charles
  • became notorious when Abu Hamza al-Masri became the imam in 1997. Hamza, who had one eye and no hands and used hook devices, lied that the injuries were suffered when he fought for al-Qaeda against Russian forces in Afghanistan
  • in a sermon he spoke about the need for Jihad: “Allah likes those who believe in Him who kill those who do not believe in Him. Allah likes that. So if you Muslims don’t like that because you hate the blood, there is something wrong with you.”
  • mosque became a meeting point for militant Islam’s most notorious figures. Zacarias Moussaoui, 9/11’s alleged 20th hijacker, and shoe bomber Richard Reid, were among those to attend the mosque
  • more than 100 officers from London Metropolitan Police raided and shut down the mosque in 2003 over the alleged bioterrorism plot to attack the London Underground rail system
  • mosque was reclaimed in 2005 by the local Muslim community with the backing of the Muslim Association of Britain
  • classified US documents released by Wikileaks in April 2011 said the mosque has served as a “haven” for Islamic extremists. According to the files, 35 men has passed through Finsbury Park Mosque before being sent to fight against allied forces in Afghanistan
  • 2014, HSBC bank closed the mosque’s bank account after a report by Reuters, who had to apologise and pay £10,000 in damages after legal action over the report by the mosque
  • 2015, the mosque was one of about 20 across the UK that took part in an open day organised by the MCB to promote better understanding of Islam following the Islamist-inspired terrorist attacks in Paris
  • Dec 2015, it was subjected to an attempted arson attack when a man holding a jerry can full of petrol, attempted to ignite it and threw it into the building
  • today's deplorable events

Man, that's a roller coaster.

I know the area and this attack is closer the Muslim Welfare House than the FP Mosque. As in basically outside the mosque.

ittoryu

I feel like I've explained myself and I've avoided character attacks and monosyllabic replies at least. If you have an issue with anything I've said tell me.
OT:Still think you have been way too aggressive in how you replied. Part of the press is not aligned with calling this a terror attack and, regardless, nothing that was written in that post deserved such a response and "shitposter" name calling./OT

pigeon

Banned
I noticed that myself. There's also no hysterical posts condemning a whole demographic of people.

I was just going to suggest that it might be time to consider internment or deportation of white Britishers. Not all of them, obviously, just the ones with radical sympathies.

This thread is something else compared to the London attack thread. No calls for internment? Where are all the people frightened to leave their homes and demanding the government take away more rights so they can feel safe? Is it time to stop being politically correct?

In any case, has the community this guy belonged to issued an statement condemning this attack yet?

Got

Banned
This thread is something else compared to the London attack thread. No calls for internment? Where are all the people frightened to leave their homes and demanding the government take away more rights so they can feel safe? Is it time to stop being politically correct?

In any case, has the community this guy belonged to issued an statement condemning this attack yet?

Hard to do when the media has a hard time even properly attributing it to the terrorism it is. It doesn't help that U.K. citizens have a hard time seeing the inherent double standard and bigotry at play here as well.

OT:Still think you have been way too aggressive in how you replied. Part of the press is not aligned with calling this a terror attack and, regardless, nothing that was written in that post deserved such a response and "shitposter" name calling./OT

Because I should be happy about someone implying I'm ignorant and a coward for explaining what I'm seeing on the news. I've made my point and I want to drop it but people keep quoting me.

Chinner

Banned
The UK has a growing ring wing extremism problem. We need to call it what it is, and do something about it.

This is terrible news.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They better not pin the whole 'he clearly has mental health' issues on this fucker...

There's been a cohort of right wingers on social media since Manchester talking about the need to 'fight back' and that this is war etc etc. They need to own stuff like this. If they now turn around and start talking about lone wolf basket cases they can FRO.

The UK has a growing ring wing extremism problem. We need to call it what it is, and do something about it.

This is terrible news.

Two major terrible attacks in as many years. There is certainly cause for concern at a ever growing problem across the social spectrum.

What a sad, disgusting, disgraceful terrorist attack. At least Sadiq Khan had the termerity to come out and call it what it is, and Mayof all people highlighting the terrorist aspect. F

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Sad news. RIP to the victim and hopefully the injured recover fast and completely.

If there is intention (and everything so far points towards intention) it's a terrorist attack no doubt.

Also this could be the second right wing attack in a year in UK.

Ummm, which thread are you talking about because I don't recall many people on here doing the things you're talking about.

Dopus

Banned
A particularly disturbing detail regarding the attacker.

ksIN0rgsQo_qCflK-qXYfg.png

pswii60

Ssdly I see this being treated the same way that the Terrorist attack on Jo Cox was: "an act of a loner / mentality ill man"

Shit like this should be laid at Britains First door for them to "apologise" on behalf of white people.
The Westminster attack back in March was credited rightly as a terrorist, but also as a loner who had no links to any actual terrorist organisation. He was influenced by extremist views and ideology but the attack had not been organised or plotted by a terrorist organisation.

What's happened here is likely that same category of terrorism. But I find it interesting that you think Britain First should be apologising. If the guy is a Christian for example, shouldn't the expectation br that all Christians should be apologising and condemning the attack? After all, that's been the unnecessary expectation on Muslims following the other recent attacks.

Sanjay

BBC now calling it an Attack, moved on from Incident. Wonder what their next term for terrorist attack is going to be.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
BBC now calling it an Attack, moved on from Incident. Wonder what their next term for terrorist attack is going to be.

The BBC won't outright call it a terrorist attack until that's been officially stated. Exactly as other recent events of a similar nature. Their front page news coverage on their website (11 links including a live page, above the Brexit negotiations and all other news stories) uses the word 'terrorist' to refer to it, though.

Top Bottom