• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansoku

The issue is some of you aren't really making the distinction clear between using media like songs as learning content, and applying learning to media. The latter of which is totally different. Are you using a song to learn actual useful information, or are you more just taking in a few random words and saying to yourself "this is useful!" Big difference.

It's actually both. Learning content is acquiring vocab trough it (I was actually going trough all my songs that I have the written lyrics and doing an Anki deck of the vocab I didn't know, but college got in the way), and applying learning to media is applying the grammar to the lyrics.

Look at it this way then. I'm going to listen to this music one way or another. I like it way too much to drop it. If I'm going to keep listening to it, I might as well use it to help my studies as well. It's not going to replace anything, and maybe just "up" the learning by 1%, but still it's something.

Resilient

It's actually both. Learning content is acquiring vocab trough it (I was actually going trough all my songs that I have the written lyrics and doing an Anki deck of the vocab I didn't know, but college got in the way), and applying learning to media is applying the grammar to the lyrics.

Look at it this way then. I'm going to listen to this music one way or another. I like it way too much to drop it. If I'm going to keep listening to it, I might as well use it to help my studies as well. It's not going to replace anything, and maybe just "up" the learning by 1%, but still it's something.

which is totally fine because if it's what you like, it's what you like. but the last few posts have become a "but why can't it compliment hardcore study!" and the reason is because by nature it's not focused and is study done for the sake of having fun. they can exist, just not together. if you're studying hard, you won't want to waste time doing something ineffective. if you're studying casually or slowly, you wouldn't dip into the brute force because you wouldn't be devoting enough time to it.

Porcile

While all your definitions of proficient and high level will be widely subjective, there's nothing subjective about the fact that songs/games/films/dramas/anime/manga simply do not use natural language, and that is the point where as learning tools as means of achieving naturalness (the ultimate goal of any language learner) they cease to be useful. I mean, great you learnt a word, but more than likely that word is within heavily stylized and metaphorical content and therefore not really useful at all.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Can we take a step back? I responded to someone making a comment about me saying 'dont use songs' within MY method of study. I also noted that you can for sure listen to songs, use them as supplement, enjoy them in general.. just don't use them to further your practical and hardcore study because they will slow you down.

That's it.

Now we slightly branched off to the topic of song study in general, which I also agree is not the best way, but again no where did I state you can't mix it in with your study or just enjoy it on the side. But if you do make it your #1 source of study (along with other passive media like your anime and your games and whatever) then, as someone who has been around the block for a while, I can say that I do not think you will get very far. If you're the exception, neato. Come join me at the top. :D

But for real, I think people here think I'm shitting on your anime and other weebery when I just admitted a page or two back I used to fansub fuckin anime. Like, what do you want from me? My major point was that I realized that if I wanted to take the study seriously, those forms of media were not advantageous. As much as I enjoyed them.

I also don't get why people never enjoy classical Japanese songs, or documentaries, kabuki, or light novels.. why is it always anime, manga, games.. but I digress..

Porcile summed it up nicely indeed.

Desmond

Chances are the Japanese you pick up in anime and manga is garbage wakamono kotoba you will need only if you frequent Takadanobaba or some other spot teeming with rich, spoilt 私立大学Tokyoites. (I know I say this as someone with a fucking idol as my avatar)

Also @expert, thanks for that TV link you posted a while back. Just stream it on Chromecast, great stuff to have on in the background whilst doing other study.

urfe

Chances are the Japanese you pick up in anime and manga is garbage wakamono kotoba you will need only if you frequent Takadanobaba or some other spot teeming with rich, spoilt 私立大学Tokyoites. (I know I say this as someone with a fucking idol as my avatar)

Also @expert, thanks for that TV link you posted a while back. Just stream it on Chromecast, great stuff to have on in the background whilst doing other study.

My bonenkai on Friday was in Baba, and my one next Friday is too. It's also with people from my 私立大学 days.

We'll be speaking only in anime.

edit: the non-argument about songs is funny. I totally recommend karaoke, but get it doesn't fit into experts system.

Desmond

My bonenkai on Friday was in Baba, and my one next Friday is too. It's also with people from my 私立大学 days.

We'll be speaking only in anime.

edit: the non-argument about songs is funny. I totally recommend karaoke, but get it doesn't fit into experts system.
I personally found karaoke somewhat beneficial for remembering kanji readings, but not much else.

Porcile

No doubt in terms of learning materials I myself in this very thread have probably said things like "yep, read manga and listen to songs all the time!" haha. At the time, maybe it made a lot of sense to me. The more I understand about learning languages as a whole, the more I find it an ever evolving process of understanding what works and what doesn't work for the particular things I want to achieve. I really have no idea what anyone else wants to get out of it, or what anyone else's ideal of proficiency is, so yeah, maybe listening to and deciphering nonsensical songs fulfills your Japanese language whims. Not for me to judge really.

urfe

Would it not be better to practice that by shadowing drama or tv shows, even better if enabling closed captions is an option. Songs can vary in speed after all.

Perhaps, but I could never do that for hours on end with booze and friends. I honestly doubt anyone could shadow drama for hours on end.

I'm not advocating getting N1 in 3 months though. So nonsense and whims are allowed for me.

I'm honestly not sure what any current argument is about. Expert's way is one way, and any immersion with Japanese seems better than none to me, so I'm not getting what the point of the discussion is. Could someone let me know?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm not advocating getting N1 in 3 months though. So nonsense and whims are allowed for me.

58792006.jpg

I think they thought I was saying there's zero value in songs. Not what I said. But I did say to not waste your time on that shit. Go to kansoku's post history. Nonstop jmusic thread. So clearly jmusic means a lot to him. Great.

How good is yo jgo?

urfe

I regret getting involved, but it just bugged me to see someone get looked down upon.

Anyways, I'm reviewing basic and N2 grammar today.

CWEJ2aZUsAArdgG.jpg

There's a great kanzen master book that has all N5, N4 grammar, but it looks like I lent it to somebody and never got it back.

This 200 expressions book is also quite good though.

When reviewing basic grammar, there's usually a few expression that I have completely forgotten about. Good times.

I'm an expert

Wait, who's gettin looked down on..me? It's me right? Because those two went in hard on me. I sure as shit aint lookin down on no one. Urfe why the fuck are you lookin at textbooks lol. Go outside.

urfe

Wait, who's gettin looked down on..me? It's me right? Because those two went in hard on me. I sure as shit aint lookin down on no one. Urfe why the fuck are you lookin at textbooks lol. Go outside.

???

I apologize if you thought I was looking down on you. I think your methods are amazing and they have helped rekindle my motivation to study. I don't think anyone else looked down on you as well, but I didn't read the thread carefully.

i was obviously... KY.

edit: I apologize if I was rude to anyone else.

Kansoku

It was more me ranting about stuff than something specific at your post, it just served as a catalyst to me, so sorry if it seemed otherwise. The thing is that it bothers me a little when people say "don't use X", because I don't think this should be said (especially because most of the time, the way it is usually said, passes the idea that it will be actually harmful, instead of not being beneficial if that would be the case). I mean, sure, if you're doing brute force for 6 hours every day because you need to get good by 3 months, of course you have to limit what you use as a material, it's about priorities. But otherwise they are valuable, well, at least I see them that way. I think most of the disagreement comes out from what we want out of learning Japanese, and how we go about it.

I don't plan to move to Japan. I think it's a beautiful country, and it seems like a nice place to live (not so much for working though, from what I've heard). I really want to visit there someday. But much of the entertainment I consume comes from there. They often do stuff that fits right in what I want from media. And I want to know Japanese for that. I like to learn stuff. I also want to learn music theory, get back into practicing guitar, I want to learn how to draw and 3D modelling as well. I'm majoring in Computer Science, but some time down the line I serious might go to collage for Chemistry because I loved the classes so much that it's just something I want to know more about. So I'm in no hurry. I don't want to pass N1, I don't want to get a job there and move. My priorities are reading and listening. The production side of things matters little to me, because as things are now, I have no reason to write/speak. So yeah, "[media] is not natural language", sure, but "thus they are not useful", is were I disagree. They are useful to me. They are useful because of what I'm going to use my jgo knowledge on. Music does matter a lot to me. Matters more to me than being able to speak naturally. And don't get me wrong, I do want to be fluent, I do want to be able to converse naturally if/when I visit Japan. But right now, it's not something that is on my sights. So they way I study is going to be different and have another pace compared to someone who wants to go there ASAP.

Also, another things that make songs useful to me right now is that 2016 is going to be an intense year for me. I basically will halt my Japanese studies. In the morning I have work, in the afternoon, college classes, in the night and weekends, studying and doing school work. But also, this is my last year. I don't know how things work elsewhere, but here I have to do a "TCC", which literally translated would be "Course Completion Work", or a (final) term paper, if I understand that correctly. I have to do a research simultaneously to classes and present it at the end of the year, which will determine if I graduate or not. Even tough I'm in vacation, I'm researching stuff and talking to my advisor to chose a theme so that by February, when classes start again, I already have the theme set and got the basic process down. I won't have time to study anything else. I won't have the energy to study anything else. But if I'm there, listening to music, and I know that I will, I might as well try to get something out of it.

I also don't get why people never enjoy classical Japanese songs, or documentaries, kabuki, or light novels.. why is it always anime, manga, games.. but I digress..

One of the major reasons I want to learn is because I really want to read NisiOisiN novels. Also, it's generally anime/manga/games because they are the most accessible to people outside Japan. There's very little light novels translated, and it's usually fan translated. It's very hard to find (in depth) info about other parts of the culture if you don't already know Japanese.

And this reminds me of another point. Generally when "don't use X" comes around, X usually is anime/manga/games/music. But what if someone came wanting to learn Japanese trough Shinto texts? Or academic research of their area? If I came here and instead of "For example this indigo la End songs..." I said "For example, this article here..." (Which is an article that actually came up when I was research the topic for a class), how would your reactions be? Nobody talk like academic papers, nobody talks like shinto texts. Would you say they are "useless" like most do with anime/manga/games/music? Or would you say they have an actual use in their lives, so even if they don't teach natural language they can use it? Would your response be the same if they said they want to use because they got a job/want to travel visiting and staying at temples, and if they said they just want to use it because that's what interest them? Would it be different from anime/manga/games/music? Why?

(Also, fuck English and their singular you = plural you. This was plural you, so not asking you specifically I'm an expert, just throwing some ideas).

Aizo

Banned
I think a lot of it comes down to how easily the latter materials can be found. I'm surprised to see you list light novels. I would put those in with the anime, manga, and games.

I'd love some documentary, light novel, and any other kind of recommendations, to be quite honest. What kind of song do you mean by classical?

Nocebo

It's funny to see people talk to others about wasting time when they're using a method of studying that clearly wastes a lot of time.

Resilient

It's funny to see people talk to others about wasting time when they're using a method of studying that clearly wastes a lot of time.

Does it matter? The thread is for helping people achieve what they want out of the language. It seems a lot of people are only seeing half of the meaning behind each persons post. Here, I'll spoiler tag what most people are seeing right now.

Songs are a pointless form of study
if you're planning to take the N1 next year
There is no point in studying super hard for the N1
when the only thing you want to do is watch anime and play JRPGs early
Studying anime is really not useful
if you're trying to get a job in Japan

I could go on.

It depends, on what you want to achieve. Expert says there is no point studying songs for listening if you're trying to reach native level listening from the bottom. Kansoku is saying that studying hard isn't what they're after right now which is why they are taking it slow with the music. etc. etc.

Nobody is telling ppl they are wasting they're time. They're just pointing out, that what they're doing may be time better spent if they want to achieve X. Don't do X if you want to achieve Y. Do Y instead in order to achieve Y.

Isn't that the point of this thread? Or should we talk about the latest ep of One Piece?

Resilient

Then I loaded Burning Rangers and understood maybe...........20% of what they were saying and that pissed me off. Did I have fun? Yes it was a video game, it was fun. I was annoyed I couldn't understand shit though. But that's why im studying. I'll come back in 1 month with 700 more Kanji under my belt and a firm grasp of Grammar up to N1, and then I'll have more fun. cause I will know more. i could sit there and play it with a dictionary. but that's not fun. and it won't stick. 90% of it won't stick. i might remember i word. i actually remember one but can';t find the meaning. whenever i got hit by fire the guide would say over radio まかない! which googling means "boarding; board; meals; catering; cook" ... yeah...no... i even just spent 10min trying to find it on youtube so i could hear it better, and now i wasted my time. already lost 10 min today. that's annoying, cause i could just go and study and then learn that would eventually plus another 1000 or so along the way.

it just occurred to me that she was saying 負けない as in, "Don't succumb/surrender/give up/get third degree burns and die".

Mik2121

What works for one person might not work for a different one.

I don't think any method of studying is a waste of time unless it's some crazy silly thing like only watching anime. Otherwise, all is fine.

Also for anyone in Japan learning, I'd say the fastest way to learn is getting yourself in a situation where you can't speak any other language, at least for a few hours a day. If you're here alone, then better the whole day (except when you browse GAF!) :p
I personally did that and it worked for me. Again, I know not everybody might be able to do it for different reasons, but if you can, then go for it.

Nocebo

Does it matter? The thread is for helping people achieve what they want out of the language. It seems a lot of people are only seeing half of the meaning behind each persons post. Here, I'll spoiler tag what most people are seeing right now.

Songs are a pointless form of study
if you're planning to take the N1 next year
There is no point in studying super hard for the N1
when the only thing you want to do is watch anime and play JRPGs early
Studying anime is really not useful
if you're trying to get a job in Japan

I could go on.

It depends, on what you want to achieve. Expert says there is no point studying songs for listening if you're trying to reach native level listening from the bottom. Kansoku is saying that studying hard isn't what they're after right now which is why they are taking it slow with the music. etc. etc.

Nobody is telling ppl they are wasting they're time. They're just pointing out, that what they're doing may be time better spent if they want to achieve X. Don't do X if you want to achieve Y. Do Y instead in order to achieve Y.

Isn't that the point of this thread? Or should we talk about the latest ep of One Piece?
I was also just pointing out that what you're doing maybe be time better spent if you want to achieve X in a shorter period of time. What I mean is, the studying method you're using seems highly inefficient to me.

Resilient

I was also just pointing out that what you're doing maybe be time better spent if you want to achieve X in a shorter period of time. What I mean is, the studying method you're using seems highly inefficient to me.

how so? genuinely curious. this has been the most effective thing i've done so far, so if you think there may be a better way, i'd like to see it.

I'm an expert

So it's not like I have a stake in this, I don't sell this method for money lol. But tell me, what part of my method is inefficient or a waste of time. It is literally the definition of efficiency and proper use of time. It is designed to be that.

In 3 months someone would be more proficient than people here who have been studying for years.

It's time-consuming, it requires sacrifice, it's difficult, it's maybe even unreasonable. But you're going to have to explain to me inefficient. The only thing I would say is inefficient is if you finish the study method and then never actually use it. You stop surrounding with yourself with Japanese or you never go to Japan. Then, yes, it will slowly fade. It will not fade as fast as the casual study people here do, I guarantee that, but sure everything requires continued use to stay fresh.

To Kansoku:

Again, let's refresh. My posts in this thread are always directed at an audience that wants to learn Japanese for a bigger goal than consume media. The primary people I talk with her are either living/working in Japan or have plans to. Someone like you, who clearly takes Japanese as a fun hobby, will never be the target of my posts, comments, study methods, anything. We can talk casually about this stuff, but try not to take offense to it.

If someone came in wanting to read Shinto texts, my response would be the same as someone wanting to watch anime. I would tell them to come back to it AFTER the foundation of the rest of the language is built. They're going to need it. If someone came in because they love reading the newspaper, or an academic paper, or some research journal, I would invite them with open arms because they're ready to begin real study that will immediately connect and impact what they want to do. They can actually use their paper or journal or whatever as real study material that will connect to their job or industry and will be able to use it. Be able to benefit from it.

What are you going to benefit from One Piece? Look, if people just used real life anime like KareKano as their source, than it's no different than watching a drama. But if people want to watch shows like Eva and Kenshin and whatever else, those are just white noise. They're static getting on the way of good clean study. Come back to them after the real work is put in, then you can impress everyone with your clever use of sessha.

Aizo: bro, do you even jgo?

Nocebo

how so? genuinely curious. this has been the most effective thing i've done so far, so if you think there may be a better way, i'd like to see it.
Earlier you said you were going to study 6 hours for the day? Do you study 6 hours every day? And you also mentioned you expected to learn 700 words in a month? Or was that 700 kanji? Either way that's not a lot.
How many effective hours would you say you spend on words?
So it's not like I have a stake in this, I don't sell this method for money lol. But tell me, what part of my method is inefficient or a waste of time. It is literally the definition of efficiency and proper use of time. It is designed to be that.

In 3 months someone would be more proficient than people here who have been studying for years.

It's time-consuming, it requires sacrifice, it's difficult, it's maybe even unreasonable. But you're going to have to explain to me inefficient.
What part is designed for efficiency exactly? The part where you do nothing else than study? It's focused sure but I wouldn't call that efficient by itself.

If you use a file and spend all your time filing away at some iron bars instead of doing other things in between I'm sure you'll get through them eventually but there are more efficient ways to do it.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something. I have to admit I skimmed a bit so correct me if I'm wrong please.

Resilient

Earlier you said you were going to study 6 hours for the day? Do you study 6 hours every day? And you also mentioned you expected to learn 700 words in a month? Or was that 700 kanji? Either way that's not a lot.
How many effective hours would you say you spend on words?

What part is designed for efficiency exactly? The part where you do nothing else than study? It's focused sure but I wouldn't call that efficient by itself.

If you use a file and spend all your time filing away at some iron bars instead of doing other things in between I'm sure you'll get through them eventually but there are more efficient ways to do it.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something. I have to admit I skimmed a bit so correct me if I'm wrong please.

what are the more efficient bits?

I come to this thread for these reasons

1. I like the people in here.
2. Lots of discussion on study methods.
3. You can ask questions and there are ppl with different experience levels that can answer you, if it's a content specific question or a learning method.

So what can make this more efficient?

I'm an expert

You're saying my method isn't efficient because it focuses on study. Alright. I guess let me try asking, what 'proficiency' are you currently at and what methods/experiences did you use to get there? Can you offer examples of what would be more efficient methods? I agree my method is built for speed over anything else. What did you have in mind for more efficiency? Genuinely curious, need content for new op.

Nocebo

You're saying my method isn't efficient because it focuses on study.
No, that is not what I'm saying. You seem to have a habit of misconstruing what people say. I'm saying that focusing on studying by itself can't be called efficient studying because that's just focusing on studying. Did my analogy not work? Using a file to saw through iron is not efficient even if you focus your time on it. You can use a laser cutter or a diamond saw and be more efficient at cutting.

I'm an expert

So what was your laser or diamond saw? Give me concrete examples of your lasers compared to my file.

Your analogy doesn't work because my file is still cutting through everything faster than everyone else's shit. So if speed isn't the benefit of the laser.. what is? What is the efficiency? I have answers I'm expecting in my head but you're not giving me anything here.

I hate to keep editing, but in case no one has noticed, my method is basically pretending you're in a jschool all day the same way a kid would be. But you fly through all of elementary (primary for cunts) in one month, middle in two, high in three. You have your writing, reading, listening, speaking, the same as any kid. Just quicker. And you have the flexibility to choose the menu. The method is designed for speed and to not get distracted by shit like 'I want to be able to watch this akb48 video.' You will be able to do that in the end. I promise. Just forget it for now.

Had you said 'your method is not the most efficient' I would have nodded and agreed. But to say it's not efficient at all is what's got me scratching my head.

Porcile

Hmmm, I think Nocebo is trying to say that you do spend three months learning how to learn, rather than learning straight from something like a block of Japanese text. Perhaps some might think that is more efficient. Of course, that is missing the point somewhat given that the many hours spent going over prior kanji and grammar is revision, keeping things in your head, and the time spent reading, listening etc is in fact the main course of study. 2200 kanji, 6000 words and N5-N1 grammar locked in forever, after three months, is not a trivial or inefficient amount, so I'm not sure how it could ever be viewed that way. Especially given that afterwards you may never have to "study" the traditional way ever again.

I'm an expert

Hmmm, I think Nocebo is trying to say that you do spend three months learning how to learn, rather than learning straight from something like a block of Japanese text.

Not sure I get this sentence. Outside of the kanji list, which is what a high schooler would learn through the years, we are studying from actual Japanese sources. You can read Japanese websites, articles, magazines, books. You can watch Japanese shows, movies, webcasts, whatever. You're learning from the block of text as well, I've just made it so the block of text isn't manga, or games, or anything else that offers less value than other stuff.

It's vegetables vs junk food. I get it. You like the junk food. My method is not for you. Discipline yourself to indulge in the junk food after you've got your body ripped and swole. Then you have the experience and knowledge to properly consume it.

So if the argument is my method is not fun, you god damn right it's not 'fun.' Being able to read any Japanese text, not just manga, is apparently not fun. Being able to understand what the prime minister says, and not just Naruto, is apparently not fun. Being able to buy a house, and not just follow a guide on how to buy something off JPSN..not fun.

Remember who my audience is. Not people who want to have 'fun.' I totally get the idea of 'I like anime, I like Japanese, I'm going to enjoy this ride.' I get that. Totally. I'm just not here for those people. If someone else wants to help those people, by all means. Nocebo or Kansoku or anyone can always advocate to others the 'fun' of learning like that. No issues here.

Porcile

Not sure I get this sentence. Outside of the kanji list, which is what a high schooler would learn through the years, we are studying from actual Japanese sources. You can read Japanese websites, articles, magazines, books. You can watch Japanese shows, movies, webcasts, whatever. You're learning from the block of text as well, I've just made it so the block of text isn't manga, or games, or anything else that offers less value than other stuff.

It's vegetables vs junk food. I get it. You like the junk food. My method is not for you. Discipline yourself to indulge in the junk food after you've got your body ripped and swole. Then you have the experience and knowledge to properly consume it.

Hey, I'm just feeding on the scraps here too, I don't know what he means by more efficient, Just trying to parse something from his vague statements and wafty analogies. My understanding is that he thinks you can skip out all the daily repetition and simply look at piece of text or whatever with no prior understanding of what's within that text, and that's your learning material.

I'm doing your crazy ass method, cut me some slack.

I'm an expert

Hey, I'm just feeding on the scraps here too, I don't know what he means by more efficient, Just trying to parse something from his vague statements and wafty analogies. My understanding is that he thinks you can skip out all the daily repetition and simply look at piece of text or whatever with no prior understanding of what's within that text, and that's your learning material.

Yes yes, I wasn't directing it at you specifically. Or anyone lol. I am all for discussing how my method sucks. I just need examples why it sucks. He was going strong until I asked him for that.

Porcile

" I'm saying that focusing on studying by itself can't be called efficient studying because that's just focusing on studying. "

Here.

My understanding is that Nocebo thinks the revision portion of your method is inefficient because of the many hours spent on revision in order to be able to learn how to read something further down the line, hence "learning to learn". Rather than going at something with an empty head and then learning through that. I don't know though, I'm probably talking a load of old shite, just trying to keep the discussion going.

I'm an expert

K I think I get it now. So we're sort of preemptively studying? I mean, yes, this is definitely correct when it comes to reading. We do build up a base and continue to build that base from reading selections. But we're still practicing practical reading during the kanji and grammar study. We do not simply study the lists and then not apply it.

Now his argument then might be that unless you choose very specific selections of reading, or even watching, you may not even come across a majority of the kanji or grammar you study. CORRECT. HOWEVER, this is why we cut out stuff like manga, to further reduce the risk of not coming across stuff that we can either learn from or reinforce what we've learned. That's the point of choosing our study materials more consciously than simply what we like. To counter the risk of this happening, we need to continue to read a variety of things from a variety of sources, NOT JUST STUFF WE LIKE.

For my listening method, I totally throw you in the fire. There's no way to practice listening then to listen, so jump right in. I even said fuck it you can use anime. But, again, you're risking learning less useful things (and not reinforcing already learned items) by watching anime, or listening to songs. Hence why we cut them out.

Does that make more sense?

Porcile

Piecing together what I can, Nocebo essentially thinks your listening method can be applied to reading as well:

Your method for reading: revise for six hours a day and approach something you don't know with a informed knowledge base, even if incomplete. Eventually, after a sustained period of effort your file will cut through the bars.

Nocebo's method: skip all formal revision, and just read. No need for the file, just cut straight through the bars.

Which would be more efficient in terms of not having to spend time revising for six hours everyday. However, whether or not this is an effective course of study is anyone's guess. This is the only way I can interpret his file analogy and other points, but since he's not around to follow up I can only surmise.

Porcile

6 hours would be a full course of study, not just kanji. 8 is preferable though.

Alright, so, here ya go.
http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASHDF6Q7ZHDFPTIL001.html?iref=comtop_6_03

Read.

Remember that time I said English only had 26 letters?

Exactly. So by his logic, at the end of the day you'd somehow be able to read that article, and have all that knowledge banked without having to do any more formal type study. While the rest of us bums would still be going over our daily vocabulary list before we could get started. Even though by the time we eventually got round to reading it, we'd be able to read it much quicker because we already have the base knowledge.

I'm an expert

To be fair I don't think this was his original point, but I also don't think he read my method thoroughly enough to realize there is indeed application of what we study through natural, native resources.

Aizo

Banned
Aizo: bro, do you even jgo?
I love to J語.
I recently decided that I wasn't getting the results I wanted through my study, though, so I've switched over to parts of your method. I'm reading articles from Natalie and Asahi, and doing all the kanji and vocab your way. It's actually been pretty nice so far. I learned all the kanji before with Heisig's method, so writing each new kanji only takes one try, and then it feels pretty stuck. I'm finding it to be quite effective due to my background, and I'm excited to get to harder kanji and more new words. For listening, on top of just talking to people, I'm watching the GTO drama on Japanese netflix and whatever is on TV (news and variety almost exclusively, but I don't watch a ton).

I am still surprised that you mentioned light novels. Are there actually light novels that aren't just filled with weeb stuff?

I'm an expert

There's nothing wrong with weeb stuff. I'm a weeb, I just don't let it envelope me. It was just an example that most people keep going for the lowest form of entertainment in manga. I personally love 12 Kingdoms. Come at me.

I mean times have changed. Most of the original ln magazines don't exist anymore and even if they did the type of shit that gets published nowadays is not the same. Same thing with my example of music. Most people don't want jyoururi or Matsuda Seiko, they want..whatever the fuck is popular now that they found through their anime opening song lol.

Nocebo

Piecing together what I can, Nocebo essentially thinks your listening method can be applied to reading as well:

Nocebo's method: skip all formal revision, and just read. No need for the file, just cut straight through the bars.
That's not what I was implying at all.

To be fair I don't think this was his original point,
Thanks. You're correct, that was not my point.

I don't think I have said that I have problem with the method you're suggesting as a whole. But that's what you all seem to be thinking? There's just some things missing in my eyes, making it not as efficient as it could be. I think you said earlier it's a "brute force" method. I agree. People are getting results they're satisfied with, though. So that's good enough right? I don't want to derail the thread any more. Also I'm coming off as a loon and explaining my methods would make it even worse. Not only that it would cost a lot of time to explain properly. Time is precious as we all know.

I'm an expert

We're on a discussion board about Japanese study. How is anything off topic. We have done nothing but discuss the topic. And in the multiple posts you were repeating yourself in you could have simple described to us what methods you found to be effective and advantageous.

Yet all of a sudden your time is precious.

Ok mang.

Pinewood

Can anyone suggest a good way for memorizing kanji? Just keep revising them along with the meaning?

Also any suggestions on some kinds of easy children books to read for practice?

We are like 3/4 through with Minna no Nihongo in class.

Porcile

That's not what I was implying at all.

I was just inferring what I could from your mysteriousness. Sorry if I misinterpreted you, but your methods are still a complete mystery. Until we know what your diamond cutter is there's not really much for us to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom