• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you all in the thread too tho.

You just wanted GAF to witness the power of light skin.

LOL It was the other rate yourself thread I was referring too. I created the new thread to validate your rating with pics .

Not every woman who wears a weave has self-hate.

On a subconscious level it is, and that's the origin of why we straighten our hair or perceive it to be better looking or good hair. At least when black women straighten their hair it's still their hair. The weave part is ridiculous.

Light's pics reminds me of a dude I used to know who got tons of puss and dressed great but I ended up finding out he was a psycho who thought he was the Antichrist and had devil powers behind closed doors. Dude always posed for photos like he was on the cover of GQ too. Lol

I thought about posting in that thread but I know my rating is like 1-3 and as long as I don't confirm it I can continue to fool myself. :p

Light's pics reminds me of a dude I used to know who got tons of puss and dressed great but I ended up finding out he was a psycho who thought he was the Antichrist and had devil powers behind closed doors. Dude always posed for photos like he was on the cover of GQ too. Lol

I thought about posting in that thread but I know my rating is like 1-3 and as long as I don't confirm it I can continue to fool myself. :p

That's why I always hate when i hear somebody say you remind me of somebody? Because it could be the lamest or in your case, the craziest dude you know. LOL

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
just got back from Suicide Squad

I don't think it's as bad as the reviews indicate, but I can see why the movie got trashed. It doesn't help that the worst part of the movie is the climax, so it leaves you with a really bad taste in your mouth.

Deadshot and Harley were very good.

Diablo was actually a surprise, as I know fuck-all about that character, but he was one of the better parts of the movie.

Waller was cold as hell.

Now it's time for me to join in trashing it

The villain went from being scary and threatening to literally Disney Original Movie tier. It was bad, folks.

Half the jokes didn't land, and some of them were actually awful. Not even awful in a ha-ha, that was a good/bad pun way, just really not funny.

Like a third of the team has no reason to be in this movie at all, because they're so irrelevant. It feels like they thought five characters was too few to base the movie around, so they had to pad out the squad.

Even with all that, the movie was doing okay for most of its time. Unfortunately it completely falls apart at the end. Just terrible.

So you know how some people shit on Marvel for having the "generic", things in the sky, nonsense spectacle action scenes over and over. Imagine like a Marvel type climax, except really fucking badly executed. I cannot express to you how bad the last... fourth or fifth of the movie is. It's bad. It's REALLY bad.

D i Z

I just got through listening to a podcast where the three reviewers who were crazy hyped to see this film and being complete super hero film geeks absolutely rip SS apart bit by bit.
The disappointment was strong. The exasperation expressed was deflating. And the criticism was blunt but felt like they struggled to be as fair as possible.
The worse part of their breakdown for me was the new trepidation they shared about what WB and DC seem more likely than not to do that would ruin Wonder Woman as well.
SS was a slam dunk. It was an absolute gimme. And they fucked it up from that six weeks of script writing all the way up to release. They just can't seem to get right.

Lawd... don't fuck up my Wonder Woman movie. I've been waiting too long.

Man, I don't think a single movie has disappointed me more than Suicide Squad. Not this year, or last.

More so than BvS? I forget if you liked it, or even saw it.

On a different note, Divinity Original Sin is fucking loooooong. Long in a good way, but unexpectedly so. Without a guide I can see this game taking forever to complete.

Zekes!

I'm real glad that I never had any interest in Suicide Squad

I've always disliked Harley Quinn but I've now come to realize that I think I also dislike the Joker, or at least don't love him that much

Jacir

Not a huge comic reader but all the movies based on these comics have been tiresome for me. I understand the hype that comes with it but im so not part of this general fanbase. I expect a big reason for that is because i dont know every single character, even the ones that i should care about, and just the fact that im not an avid comic reader.

cdyhybrid

Diablo was actually a surprise

KUhmLQv.gif

Crocodile

LOL. Didn't realize that was Cheadle back then. Lots of intersting guest stars showed up on Fresh Prince over the years.

I saw this earlier today, apparently Sasha Obama got a job.

tumblr_obe5p65cuw1rjupavo2_540.jpg

LW1JhO2.png

I'm inclined to agree with Kreed that this seems like a waste of her time? There are ways to get some real work experience and do some "real work" outside the scope of retail that can set up opportunities for the future. Granted she's kind of set for life already so I guess it doesn't matter than much?

On a subconscious level it is, and that's the origin of why we straighten our hair or perceive it to be better looking or good hair. At least when black women straighten their hair it's still their hair. The weave part is ridiculous.

Don't let any black woman in real life hear that, they'll probably come for your "wig"

Good morning, Vietnam BCT.

I watch superhero movies, but I purchased very very few superhero books these days. The ones that I do buy are usually older ones collected in volumes, standalone or even miniseries. Image comics is my shit now — I'm single handedly keeping them in business.......ok, maybe not, but I buy a lot of books from them and other independent creators these days.

This is about to become an argument this thread don't need. Nope.

It's a pity that Suicide Squad is getting a thrashing. Having such a diverse cast was one of the merits to the project. I think I'll see it eventually, though.

And people who are hoping and praying for Wonder Woman to be good may end up disappointed if WB/DC keeps meddling with their projects and not trusting the talent. Also, Zach Snyder can go piss up a rope in slow motion.

Kreed

Good Hair was a informative movie. That said, I'm not going to throw all black women who wear weaves/straighten their hair into this line of thinking. Especially when many of the folks making these criticisms are doing "subconscious" things themselves like going to church, or eating soul food, or spanking their kids with random objects.

BigDes

If only the Warner Bros owned Rotten Tomatoes hadn't been paid off by Marvel and Disney to spike the Warner Bros produced Suicide Squad movie then people wouldn't be hating on it or Batman Vs Superman

Did you know that Superman shouting out Martha is actually very deep and important and most people wouldn't understand the implications

It's a pity that Suicide Squad is getting a thrashing. Having such a diverse cast was one of the merits to the project. I think I'll see it eventually, though.

And people who are hoping and praying for Wonder Woman to be good may end up disappointed if WB/DC keeps meddling with their projects and not trusting the talent. Also, Zach Snyder can go piss up a rope in slow motion.

For a studio that's so "Filmmaker-Driven" and the opposite of the Disney garbage machine, they sho nuff do LOVE to meddle, huh!?

If only the Warner Bros owned Rotten Tomatoes hadn't been paid off by Marvel and Disney to spike the Warner Bros produced Suicide Squad movie then people wouldn't be hating on it or Batman Vs Superman

Did you know that Superman shouting out Martha is actually very deep and important and most people wouldn't understand the implications

lol..

Mizerman

Heh.

shingi70

Banned
BvS was more disappointing for me, I set my expectations for Suicide Squad up as was thoroughly enjoy memes, plus with these movies I can look past plot wholes and what not.

As a Superman fan BvS failed me on a personal level so for all the stuff I liked about it, I was pretty negative on it.

My girlfriend embarrassed this dude who went to the movies with yesterday. I personally felt bad for the dude, though it was annoying he doesn't know how to act in public.

So much happening out here in these streets.

First, the man who ran up on Dylan Roof in jail is getting out on bond: http://wach.com/news/local/jail-website-man-accused-of-beating-dylann-roof-released-on-bond Slayven, is there any other statement you want to toss out into the universe? You straight prophesyin'.

Second, Nate "Birth of a Nation" Parker wants to let every one know that he'll never take a gay role, because reasons?

https://twitter.com/CajunPeachy/status/761773943908814849

"To preserve the black man you will never see me play a gay role." - Nate Parker

Yeah. So. One, I want gay black men to play gay black men, so I'd never want him to get the role in the first place. Second, sadly, no one is out here working on the Bayard Rustin biopic (WHICH THEY SHOULD BE) or any other black gay men roles that would be awesome, so he'll never even need to try out. Third, that's some homophobic hotep shit. Because gay black men /are/ black men, dammit. And black transmen are black men as well.

Slayven

First, the man who ran up on Dylan Roof in jail is getting out on bond: http://wach.com/news/local/jail-website-man-accused-of-beating-dylann-roof-released-on-bond Slayven, is there any other statement you want to toss out into the universe? You straight prophesyin'.

Second, Nate "Birth of a Nation" Parker wants to let every one know that he'll never take a gay role, because reasons?

"To preserve the black man you will never see me play a gay role." - Nate Parker

Yeah. So. One, I want gay black men to play gay black men, so I'd never want him to get the role in the first place. Second, sadly, no one is out here working on the Bayard Rustin biopic (WHICH THEY SHOULD BE) or any other black gay men roles that would be awesome, so he'll never even need to try out. Third, that's some homophobic hotep shit. Because gay black men /are/ black men, dammit. And black transmen are black men as well.

Maybe Gordon can learn about seasonings.

I will never be shocked at how people can fuck up their situation with some bullshit. What even prompted him to put that out there? Check that man for some ashiness.

Mizerman

Ooof. Why even say that in the first place?

Funny how that is

Bugs me out that this line is continuously churned out, yet here we are..

Good deal in the first part. Odd thing to put out there for the second.

Maybe Gordon can learn about seasonings.

Goodness, Yorick..get some new material. It's a bad look..

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
LOL It was the other rate yourself thread I was referring too. I created the new thread to validate your rating with pics .

I'll be glad when black women can do whatever we want with our hair without people calling us names. Weave, bleached, natural, dyed, straight, relaxed, shaved, texlaxed whatever. It's our hair.

Not trying to put you on the spot but that's how I feel about it.

andthebeatgoeson

I'll be glad when black women can do whatever we want with our hair without people calling us names. Weave, bleached, natural, dyed, straight, relaxed, shaved, texlaxed whatever. It's our hair.

Not trying to put you on the spot but that's how I feel about it.
It's the truth.

I glad that i was blessed with a lady with long locs that look beautiful but it's not really up to me.

Ain't nothing wrong with challenging people's beliefs. Only way forward.

"Emasculation of Black Male Actors" is one of those long running conspiracy theory things where people list out all of the Black Male Actors that cross-dressed on film.

Huh. Okay, we have:

Tyler Perry
Jamie Foxx (on In Living Color)
Martin Lawrence
Eddie Murphy
Wayans Brothers (White Chicks)
Wesley Snipes (To Wong Foo)
Chiwatel Ejiofor (Kinky Boots, though male actors of all ethnicities cross dress all the time in the UK, it's a damn tradition over there)
Bokeem Woodbine (but not for long and it is a desperation move for the character he portrays)

But let's be honest, this is not the majority of black men in Hollywood, and most of these drag roles were for comedic effect (which is a whole nother discussion). Not Denzel Washington, nor Morgan Freeman, nor Will Smith have done such roles (Will Smith has never been in drag; his character in Six Degrees Of Separation was gay, and that got severely whitewashed out of the role). This is pretty much a nothing burger.

Sch1sm

Only thing ridiculous is your reasoning here, really. That's a shallow hypothesis. Maybe they just enjoy having that freedom with their hair. They're both more manageable for some, and in the former case it lasts longer. Not to mention, weave lets them try various styles without an permanent changes, while protecting their natural hair. It doesn't have to be insecurity-driven. You don't have to be motivated by self hate on any level to simply want weave, or to straighten your hair, the same way no one's going to question why you're wearing jeans and a t-shirt rather than a traditional garb.

It's not like any other aspect of our lives isn't upholding Eurocentric styles. Not sure why any woman should get flak for it.

E: I should add that I've never even had extensions, let alone a protective style for my hair.

------------------

Suicide Squad was uh. An experience. Wouldn't give it that RT score, but, eh. Ehhhh. Gonna watch the new Bourne movie tomorrow, anyone seen it?

Huh. Okay, we have:

Tyler Perry
Martin Lawrence
Eddie Murphy
Chiwatel Ejiofor (Kinky Boots, though male actors of all ethnicities cross dress all the time in the UK, it's a damn tradition over there)
Bokeem Woodbine (but not for long and it is a desperation move for the character he portrays)

But let's be honest, this is not the majority of black men in Hollywood, and most of these drag roles were for comedic effect (which is a whole nother discussion). Not Denzel Washington, nor Morgan Freeman, nor Will Smith have done such roles (Will Smith has never been in drag; his character in Six Degrees Of Separation was gay, and that got severely whitewashed out of the role). This is pretty much a nothing burger.

of course it's nothing... but to conspiracy theory folk, its the work of the illuminati!!!!!!!

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
It's the truth.

I glad that i was blessed with a lady with long locs that look beautiful but it's not really up to me.

Ain't nothing wrong with challenging people's beliefs. Only way forward.

Thank you. It's bad enough we have our girls feeling like their natural hair is not acceptable. We need to be encouraging individuality among girls, black girls included and that includes our hair. Telling us we all should be natural is jarring and oppressive. You can love yourself and still get weave or straighten your hair. It's hair lol

Only thing ridiculous is your reasoning here, really. That's a shallow hypothesis. Maybe they just enjoy having that freedom with their hair. They're both more manageable for some, and in the former case it lasts longer. Not to mention, weave lets them try various styles without an permanent changes, while protecting their natural hair. It doesn't have to be insecurity-driven. You don't have to be motivated by self hate on any level to simply want weave, or to straighten your hair, the same way no one's going to question why you're wearing jeans and a t-shirt rather than a traditional garb.

It's not like any other aspect of our lives isn't upholding Eurocentric styles. Not sure why any woman should get flak for it.

E: I should add that I've never even had extensions, let alone a protective style for my hair.

Great post. The bolded is a great analogy btw 👍

Thank you. It's bad enough we have our girls feeling like their natural hair is not acceptable. We need to be encouraging individuality among girls, black girls included and that includes our hair. Telling us we all should be natural is jarring and oppressive. You can love yourself and still get weave or straighten your hair. It's hair lol

Great post. The bolded is a great analogy btw ��

That's a horrible analogy. Just because it's been normalized in black communities and people continue to perpetuate it without thinking about it, doesn't mean the self hate still isn't there. How many straight haired people fund a billion dollar industry to put your type of textured hair in theirs. Oh wait, it doesn't exist.

However I don't want this to be me railing against black women, just my personal opinion on the subject which most of ya'll obviously disagree. The majority of Black women in my life know this about me, some agree, some don't.

D i Z

------------------

Suicide Squad was uh. An experience. Wouldn't give it that RT score, but, eh. Ehhhh. Gonna watch the new Bourne movie tomorrow, anyone seen it?

Spot on.

About that Bourne joint. Haven't seen it myself, but planning to soon(ish). The best and the worse that I've heard is that they kind of phoned it in on this one. Not sure what that means with the series setting expectations ever lower with each film, but I'm going to check it out regardless.

That's a horrible analogy. Just because it's been normalized in black communities and people continue to perpetuate it without thinking about it, doesn't mean the self hate still isn't there. How many straight haired people fund a billion dollar industry to put your type of textured hair in theirs. Oh wait, it doesn't exist.

However I don't want this to be me railing against black women, just my personal opinion on the subject which most of ya'll obviously disagree. The majority of Black women in my life know this about me, some agree, some don't.

Bruh. You could hold the opinion that Trump looks good in red pumps for all we care. It would be hilarious for you to share that, but by no means is anyone begging for you put it out there just because you have it. We do try to exercise a little tact around here at times.

Bruh. You could hold the opinion that Trump looks good in red pumps for all we care. It would be hilarious for you to share that, but by no means is anyone begging for you put it out there just because you have it. We do try to exercise a little tact around here at times.

Bruh, I was responding to an olympic picture that was posted. I respectfully gave my opinion, you can respectfully disagree or simply ignore it. Now we can respectfully debate about it, or we can move on. I don't understand the "exercise tact" when we're literally in a black culture thread and I voiced an opinion specifically as it relates to something within black culture. It's amazing the inability on your part to engage or disengage on a specific topic without making it more than what it actually was. It really wasn't that serious. Other posters posted their opinions replying back and everything was OK.

Kreed

Huh. Okay, we have:

Tyler Perry
Martin Lawrence
Eddie Murphy

The "Hidden Colors VIP card carrier/Moon brother/Beyonce runs the illuminati" theory is that the powers that be in Hollywood (white people) will not allow a strong powerful black man on film for too long without "softening" them up. So in order to make the actors "tolerable" to white people, they have them play roles that require them to cross dress and or play gay characters to make them more appealing.

Here's Dave Chappelle taking about it with Oprah (note the clip includes a couple of posters and screen shots of different black male actors cross dressing including Chris Tucker's character in The Fifth Element, which just adds to how dumb this theory is since Chris Tucker wasn't cross dressing or gay in that movie):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb1WUVAtseU

D i Z

Bruh, I was responding to an olympic picture that was posted. I respectfully gave my opinion, you can respectfully disagree or simply ignore it. Now we can respectfully debate about it, or we can move on. I don't understand the "exercise tact" when we're literally in a black culture thread and I voiced an opinion specifically as it relates to something within black culture. It's amazing the inability on your part to engage or disengage on a specific topic without making it more than what it actually was. It really wasn't that serious. Other posters posted their opinions replying back and everything was OK.

And I'm responding to your statement about self hate and you ignoring that what you are saying is pretty offensive in that special kind of mans-plaining kind of way. The majority of women in your life may know you like that. Nobody here knows you like that, and you aren't awarded special treatment for being offensive for the sake of being you. It was free advice. Take it or leave it, but don't act like you don't deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom