• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cancelled Oblivion: PSP Revealed

I remember reading about this. Was supposed to be called elder scrolls legends or something. It all took place in one large town with a fee different dungeons

120v

never knew this game took place outside of cyrodil. wouldve been interesting to see the oblivion crisis across tamriel

Considering how it ran on the PS3 I don't even want to begin to think how this would have turned out.

this seems more HUB/dungeon based. scope was obviously was still too big, otherwise it probably would've been finished i guess

isn't PS3 version ran much better than X360 ?

Not at all. The GotY edition came out a year and a half later and suffered the same performance issues that fallout 3/NV/skyrim did of going to shit when the save file got over a certain size. Until that point, it was decent, but after it it became a stuttering mess.

Borman

I remember reading about this. Was supposed to be called elder scrolls legends or something. It all took place in one large town with a fee different dungeons

It took place in multiple locations around the world, since Oblivion gates were opening in all of the territories.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Without being funny, we never got anything looking that good on the Vita either :( Killzone looked great as did Wipeout, but a big open world at native res I think was out of the question with the hardware.
:( Unfortunately and don't get me started on the cancelled Warrior’s Lair (later renamed Ruin) that was announced around the same time that Tech Demo was showed because we never got a good Diablo like game on PS Vita either.

LordRaptor

I was always under the impression it was going to be isometric, and saw screenshots of it looking like that. I guess I imagined that :s

Tambini

:( Unfortunately and don't get me started on the cancelled Warrior’s Lair (later renamed Ruin) that was announced around the same time that Tech Demo was showed because we never got a good Diablo like game on PS Vita either.

Damn I had forgotten about that one :(

Polk

Not at all. The GotY edition came out a year and a half later and suffered the same performance issues that fallout 3/NV/skyrim did of going to shit when the save file got over a certain size. Until that point, it was decent, but after it it became a stuttering mess.
I think it ran in higher resolution than 360 version (although I remeber reading they bumped 360 resolution in Shivering Isles).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Would have been cool - hope they port Skyrim and Fall-Out 4 to the NX handheld. Lets keep the dream alive.

Yeah that game looked amazing, sadly the best we got was Dungeon Hunter and that was turd.

I was always under the impression it was going to be isometric, and saw screenshots of it looking like that. I guess I imagined that :s
That was the mobile version of Oblivion.

o1.gif

kanuuna

This must have run like absolute garbage on an actual PSP. Nevertheless, this is an interesting thing to have a look at. I don't think I had ever even heard of a PSP TES game.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
This must have run like absolute garbage on an actual PSP. Nevertheless, this is an interesting thing to have a look at. I don't think I had ever even heard of a PSP TES game.

The video shows it being played on an actual psp and it is running pretty well

Borman

As others have said, I specifically posted real hardware footage. It runs at 30 to 60fps most of the time, with 30 being the norm. Obviously it dips, but I think 30 was doable. Opening the debug menu kills the framerate though :)

Oh man that's super exciting. How deep can we dig into it? Id love to be able to mod it.

It wont work the same way as the console obviously. It will just be a matter of how far modders care to push it.

kanuuna

The video shows it being played on an actual psp and it is running pretty well
As others have said, I specifically posted real hardware footage. It runs at 30 to 60fps most of the time, with 30 being the norm. Obviously it dips, but I think 30 was doable. Opening the debug menu kills the framerate though :)

My bad then, I just went for the video and assumed it was running on an emulator. Impressive performance in that case.

That's completely false. I played this to death. Only stopped because the end game was so repetitive. I was the lord and master of absolutely everything and it ran the same at the end as it did in the beginning.

Now Fallout 3 had issues. I waited 2 years to try New Vegas and Skyrim and by then the issues were minimal with the latest patches.

It wont work the same way as the console obviously. It will just be a matter of how far modders care to push it.
As a modder that makes me happy. I would love to run this on a mobile emulator. I'm pumped to get my hands on it.

I wonder if they wrote a new engine for this or if they scaled down Gamebryo.

Borman

As a modder that makes me happy. I would love to run this on a mobile emulator. I'm pumped to get my hands on it.

I wonder if they wrote a new engine for this or if they scaled down Gamebryo.

The Unseen64 article says (And I repeat, so I hope its right hah), they started with their own internal engine before moving to Renderware

SerTapTap

Holy shit that could have been amazing. I mean, I didn't really take to oblivion after morrowind...but many did, and that on a handheld, especially back then, holy shit.

Borman

I just received the last of the builds. Obviously the latest build is most interesting. It looks to be a short demo, much more stripped down in a sense, but it seems that it was to be shown to someone based on how polished it is compared to this. More trade-showy. Looks even better too. Will do video when I get home.

Flux

Looks surprisingly good. Much better than Saints Row project. Such a shame that Bethesda cancelled it.

Yeah I was impressed by how well it ran and that it was an accurate representation of the PC/console version.

Keep it up with finding these cancelled games/projects!

the combat looks rough, first person view simply didn't work on psp with only one analog stick, would love if it's revived for Vita. :(

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I just received the last of the builds. Obviously the latest build is most interesting. It looks to be a short demo, much more stripped down in a sense, but it seems that it was to be shown to someone based on how polished it is compared to this. More trade-showy. Looks even better too. Will do video when I get home.

Man I need to get the contacts you've >_>

bobawesome

Blown-up footage looks better than a lot of 3DS games. Shows how far ahead of its time the PSP was.

PSP getting more new titles than the Vita this year

You've probably never even owned one if you're willing to just shit out a post like that. Just because the games are third party doesn't mean they don't exist.

Top Bottom