• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW orders pilot for Archie Comic's "Riverdale"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

If this show is a fraction as good as this was,

STK697832.jpg

I have high hopes for this show to be phenomenal.

anaron

the only thing I'm feeling really iffy about is that *pilot spoilers*
Archie apparent sleeps with his teacher and then blackmails her
:/

What the hell is this? These are just Archie characters in name. The real Archie would never do that spoiler thing (if true) and a pill addicted Betty.. you've got to be kidding me.

This is just a thinly veiled 90210 reboot. CW should just call a spade a spade.

Also not a fan of the nuArchie douchebro look from the new Archie comic.

Effect

Yeah that's not going to go over well for those that might be tuning. The show should be different from the comics to some degree but to go in that direction is likely to cause a good deal of backlash toward the show. It's also a 90210/Dawson's Creek like move. Yes it's a CW show but I don't think the shows on the channel even bother pulling that type of BS. They don't need to and I've never gotten the impression the audiences today that watch the shows liked that kind of stuff. That might very well play better if the show was on MTV and apart of their live action shows. Though I don't know if Reign pulls that kind of stuff given it's dealing with royalty politics, etc.

cj_iwakura

Whats your source on this? Doesn't sound like in character at all, and if it's true, I'm out.
Reggie I could believe.

Nudull

Banned

Yeah, I'm gonna take that with a mountain of salt. If true, though...oh dear. :/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I bet this does well, they reboot Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and start an Archie Cinematic Universe.

Effect

I bet this does well, they reboot Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and start an Archie Cinematic Universe.

Honestly I'm surprised they didn't do Sabrina first. It fights right in with what is on the CW at the moment. Then again maybe that's why it didn't get the possible okay. To many shows are like it at the moment.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Was Archie always that alpha looking? I remember him looking more adorkable

He is part of the sexy dork subgroup. I can't speak much on previous incarnations of Archie, but this one is pretty cool.

I would love a new Sabrina. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is frightening and oh so amazing. I think it finally comes off hiatus this month too.

Cheerilee

Was Archie always that alpha looking? I remember him looking more adorkable

I think he was more "ordinary". Like, he's on the high school football team (because he's a nice guy who has pride in his school and he thinks football will impress the ladies), but football isn't his life and he's nowhere near the top and nobody would miss him if he was cut from the team. Not quite dorky, but definitely not an alpha.

Some new info about the pilot before upfronts from the characters who play Veronica and Jughead:

At the EW and PEOPLE Upfronts Party Monday night, we asked stars Cole Sprouse, who plays Jughead Jones, and Camila Mendes, who plays Veronica Lodge, to fill us in on how Riverdale will be different from Archie Comics. They both agreed that fans shouldn’t expect a sunny, happy-go-lucky little town, and teased that the show will have some grit to it.

“Inherently, the show is a little bit grittier,” said Sprouse. “We’re taking very heavy cues from a small series within the actual Archie digest in which Jughead was kind of like a detective and a sleuth.”

“We’re comparing it to Twin Peaks. The tone, I mean; it’s not the pace of Twin Peaks. This is upbeat, but there are mystery elements. It’s pretty cinematic too in the way that it’s shot. It’s different — it’s not the Riverdale you know.”

And a pic:

Well that's an unexpected change of character. Not sure how I would feel about that if true but I'll wait to see how it plays out.

Hopefully the show is being shot better than the other CW shows I've seen. Those tend to use a lot of static cameras and repeated angles.

Rymuth

Whats your source on this? Doesn't sound like in character at all, and if it's true, I'm out.
Reggie I could believe.
And apparently, that teacher is MS GRUNDY!!

As a new school year begins, the town of Riverdale is reeling from the recent, tragic death of high school golden boy Jason Blossom, and nothing feels the same. Archie Andrews (KJ Apa) is still the all-American teen, but the summer's events made him realize that he wants to pursue a career in music -- not follow in his dad's footsteps--despite the sudden end of his forbidden relationship with Riverdale's young music teacher, Ms. Grundy

- source

Jebusman

Banned
So this isn't the live action revival of Archie's Weird Mysteries that I've always wanted? Shame.

Wait wait wait they got one of the kids from Suite Life playing Jughead? What?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, looking at the new stuff posted in here and this show, Archie sure has changed.

Was a huge fan of the classic stuff, had a ton of the comics because of my aunt, read them so much I started seeing the reprints/recolors ever so often.

I'm definitely curious about this show, especially given the hotness of the male cast, but it seems less like a contemporized take on Archie characters (in the vein of the recent comics) than it does a standard sex-filled teen soap that's using the names of Archie characters primarily for shock value.

TI82

Banned
http://comicbook.com/2016/05/19/riverdale-series-description-reveals-forbidden-relationship-betw/

As a new school year begins, the town of Riverdale is reeling from the recent, tragic death of high school golden boy Jason Blossom, and nothing feels the same. Archie Andrews (KJ Apa) is still the all-American teen, but the summer's events made him realize that he wants to pursue a career in music -- not follow in his dad's footsteps--despite the sudden end of his forbidden relationship with Riverdale's young music teacher, Ms. Grundy (Sarah Habel). Which means Archie doesn't have anyone who will mentor him -- certainly not singer Josie McCoy (Ashleigh Murray), who is only focused on her band, the soon-to-be-world-famous Pussycats.

Archie and Grundy... ill ship that

Edit: Dang it, double post on accident

Bleepey

So this isn't the live action revival of Archie's Weird Mysteries that I've always wanted? Shame.

Wait wait wait they got one of the kids from Suite Life playing Jughead? What?

At times I feel I was the only guy who watched tales of a little town called Riverdale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom