• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division - 15 minutes of new gameplay

The visual downgrade on consoles is staggering to say the least. It looks like a completely different game was announced originally. This game looks like a whole generation behind in terms of visuals and performance.

The lack of nuance in character animations is immediately the most apparent glaring difference.

Grief.exe

The visual downgrade on consoles is staggering to say the least. It looks like a completely different game was announced originally. This game looks like a whole generation behind in terms of visuals and performance.

The original demo was shown at a PS4 event, but it was exceedingly obvious that it was running on high-end PC hardware.

I'll wait a week or two after release to see people's impressions. I'm a bit suspicious they're not allowed to talk about end-game at all.

Shooting is designed to be a TPS with RPG elements. It can't be a pure shooter because that doesn't work in an RPG setting.

The game can be played completely solo and teaming up really only helps finishing random stuff around the city and will dramatically help you in the DZ. You can enter DZ by yourself, but you shouldn't try and take down higher level players solo unless you are massively overleveled and can ambush them.
I understand its RPG roots but everything from the AI to the impact from bullets doesn't look all that great to be honest. I don't think those things are necessarily affected by RPG mechanics, they just don't look good here.

And my comment about the solo vs MP experience was more on the narrative aspect of things. I remember Bungie said similar when describing Destiny having an engrossing SP campaign, but I'm very wary here. I'm sure activities can be done fine by yourself but I'm cautious as to how deep the campaign 'solo' play will be.

Kezen

Banned

The downgrade on consoles is of course understandable considering the hardware Sony and Microsoft went with, but I hope scalability will not be artificially limited on PC.

I gave up on the game looking as good as it once did but surely there is room for more even on mid-range hardware.

evilr

Banned
Looks shite and a shadow of its former self. It must have cost an absolute bomb to make too. Got bomba written all over it.

RulkezX

Having seen it running in real life I can easily say that video isn't representative of how the game looks.

Time to bail on this thread though, another Ubi shitposting thread incoming.

The original demo was shown at a PS4 event, but it was exceedingly obvious that it was running on high-end PC hardware.

Right, but they should at least provide a realistic ballpark of what the final game will wind up being for that platform. That is the problem people have with this sort of misleading reveal that Ubisoft does.

Theorry

I understand its RPG roots but everything from the AI to the impact from bullets doesn't look all that great to be honest. I don't think those things are necessarily affected by RPG mechanics, they just don't look good here.

And my comment about the solo vs MP experience was more on the narrative aspect of things. I remember Bungie said similar when describing Destiny having an engrossing SP story, but I'm very wary here. I'm sure activities can be done fine by yourself but I'm cautious as to how deep the campaign 'solo' play will be.

I agree it doesnt look good. But when you play it feels good for some reason.
Even some AI has alot of health the guns still feel powerfull. Because of the recoil and sound. Making it not feel like you are a shooting a bee bee gun. Even if it looks like that from vids.

Having seen it running in real life I can easily say that video isn't representative of how the game looks.

Time to bail on this thread though, another Ubi shitposting thread incoming.

Yep. People forget that this isn't one of the Ubi studios tossing out AC games. This is Massive Entertainment.

And my comment about the solo vs MP experience was more on the narrative aspect of things. I remember Bungie said similar when describing Destiny having an engrossing SP campaign, but I'm very wary here. I'm sure activities can be done fine by yourself but I'm cautious as to how deep the campaign 'solo' play will be.

We all know that Destiny's campaign was a POS compared to what they presented it as. I will say that there is actually a narrative and a coherent story in this game. I won't provide additional details, but this should not be compared to Destiny in that manner.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The 50 minute Xbox One alpha video someone posted on here looks a lot nicer graphically.

I'm going to give the beta a shot. I love the look and atmosphere of the game but the actual combat looks dull. Could be different when I'm actually behind a controller though.

Grief.exe

Obligatory

• pre-order PC, or PS4/XBO (physical only, digital copies do not qualify).
  • Amazon will not charge until the product ships.
  • Immediately sends an email with activation code.
  • Activates on Division website, attaches to your Uplay account.
  • Took less than one minute.

Theoretically you can cancel your pre-order at any time, but I'm going to wait until after the Beta.

cAuAJ1b.png

antitrop

Game looks like like a lot of fun and right up my alley.

My only concern lies with matchmaking, as it's what ruined Destiny for me.

Justinh

Can you close the car door?
lol, I hope so. I wonder if someone'll be mad if that little detail from a video like 3 years ago isn't in the final game.
oh look...

I was pretty stoked about this game when it was announced, but I've cooled on it so hard. I guess the delays did that. From what I'm seeing in OP's video, the game just looks so unremarkable I think I'm just going to have to "wait and see" on it.

I guess it's a "you had to be there" kinda thing, and maybe I'll like it if I try it. At least some people seem to enjoy it.

If it's like Destiny, but different, I guess it'll do just fine. I'm not a fan of that floating HUD element with the health bar. Seem like it would get distracting.

Game looks like like a lot of fun and right up my alley.

My only concern lies with matchmaking, as it's what ruined Destiny for me.

What's your concern? While running around in the PVE non PVP parts of the game, there is proximity chat and you can just ask them to join your group. There are hubs in the game where people will generally hang around, but the game isn't not a hub and spoke style of Destiny. Everything is concurrent in world. You will slowly enter the DZ to jump into that instance.

There are also certain locations in main bases which you can go to and the game will try and MM you with a party if you don't want to run around solo.

antitrop

What's your concern? While running around in the PVE non PVP parts of the game, there is proximity chat and you can just ask them to join your group. There are hubs in the game where people will generally hang around, but the game isn't not a hub and spoke style of Destiny. Everything is concurrent in world. You will slowly enter the DZ to jump into that instance.

There are also certain locations in main bases which you can go to and the game will try and MM you with a party if you don't want to run around solo.

That sounds great. 99% of my time with Destiny was me just running around an empty world by myself because I didn't want to put a party together on GAF or whatever. The game should do that for me.

deadduck

Wait, people expect an aaa console game to look like a high end PC showing a demo in a limited area?

The reveal was running on $5,000 of PC hardware. Its safe to say it won't look the same on a $400 console. It won't look like the reveal on most peoples PCs ffs.

Is this game playable completely solo ? Like, without any players on the map ?

The game is always online. While not in the Dark Zones there is no PVP and there are other players running around, but the cannot kill you until you enter the DZ. There will always be other players around in the main hub bases.

However, you do not need to interact with them for the PVE sections of the game. If you go into the DZ you can go in solo and find enemies, but remember that others may have teamed up and can kill you.

The game can be played entirely solo if you want, but you will be at a disadvantage in the DZ if someone goes rogue on you. Not everyone will go rogue in a DZ and some people may just help you kill an enemy and go on their merry way.

Kezen

Banned
You only see other players in the main base hub and the darkzone wich is PVP.

Thanks. I like that approach to let gamers play completely solo or interact with other players.
I hated Ubisoft's The Crew because I just couldn't play completely by myself, there were always other players around ruining my fun. I guess I did not get what kind of game it was.

I hope The Division is not the same.

The game is always online. While not in the Dark Zones there is no PVP and there are other players running around, but the cannot kill you until you enter the DZ. There will always be other players around in the main hub bases.

However, you do not need to interact with them for the PVE sections of the game. If you go into the DZ you can go in solo and find enemies, but remember that others may have teamed up and can kill you.

The game can be played entirely solo if you want, but you will be at a disadvantage in the DZ if someone goes rogue on you. Not everyone will go rogue in a DZ and some people may just help you kill an enemy and go on their merry way.

Okay thanks, I'm not bothered about the always online part, I just don't want a MP only game and this is what The Division seems to be.

I'll pass then.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures

I agree and this summarizes my feelings on this quite nicely

KKRT00

Hmm interesting that they showed PC version and disallowed press to talk about it yet.
We will probably getting nice PC trailer in future.

Clearos

jesus this game totally looks like Commando from 1985....and it has guns? Total call of duty wanna be. No thanks, no thanks.

Pre-order confirmed.

I agree and this summarizes my feelings on this quite nicely

I think people just need to give the Beta a chance and make their own decisions. The shitposting (not you Dodecagon) should stop. This is a game that deserves a beta test from everyone to see if it is their cup of tea.

My biggest question is how much of the game they are going to open up in the beta and how much they will accelerate XP gains.

Even pc games don't look like the reveal when it comes to Ubisoft games. A lot closer ofcourse, but still.
It depends on the game IMO. I think the AC games and far cry 4 looked pretty much exactly like the reveals on PC. Watch dogs? Fak no.
Heres my issue with the visuals.

Of course we all knew that it was being shown on a high end PC but that being said so far this generation what we have been getting on consoles is the equivalent of HIGH settings on the PC. That makes it so that the visual leaps between the PC reveals and the Console reveal isn't such a massive difference.

This looks like Medium settings at best and some Low settings at worst. It doesn't even really look like the same game.
It depends on the game. More open world games have had lots of variables be at medium or low even.
Hmm interesting that they showed PC version and disallowed press to talk about it yet.
We will probably getting nice PC trailer in future.
I wonder what on earth that means. The amount of ho hum mum whatever shit publishers do around the technical specs of game versions is pretty annyoing.
Obligatory

• pre-order PC, or PS4/XBO (physical only, digital copies do not qualify).
  • Amazon will not charge until the product ships.
  • Immediately sends an email with activation code.
  • Activates on Division website, attaches to your Uplay account.
  • Took less than one minute.

Theoretically you can cancel your pre-order at any time, but I'm going to wait until after the Beta.

cAuAJ1b.png

I am actually thinking of doing this. Bad Grief.exe, bad.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is there a shoulder swap? Haven't seen that in any video so far. Pretty annoying if not. TPS with a tight OTSV FOV while aiming kinda requires it.

Wait, people expect an aaa console game to look like a high end PC showing a demo in a limited area?

The reveal was running on $5,000 of PC hardware. Its safe to say it won't look the same on a $400 console. It won't look like the reveal on most peoples PCs ffs.

Did UBISOFT disclaime that while running the footage? Fake advertising as its best

Z3M0G

Being honest the 15 minutes footage was very boring. Just a standard cover shooter all-around.

And i'm not really a fan of the damage markers, but i'm positive you can disable it.

At least we have the beta coming to try it by ourselves.

Watch the other two videos in the thread... I thought the same about the first one, but the others have sold me on the game even more.

Jolkien

Can't wait to try the beta. Should be more up my alley, I found Destiny RPG element to be extremely light. This seems more robust.

Top Bottom