• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division - 15 minutes of new gameplay

Yeah, the new videos look miles better. And the Darkzone/Extraction concept seems really cool.

Now my only gripes are the overwhelming HUD and the bulletsponge enemies.

I know that it's like an rpg where the enemies can be higher level than you, but i don't think all the videos show under-leveled players against stronger enemies.

Those are the two biggest issues I had, but the bullet spongyness really only felt bad on bosses.

The newer videos are what the game looks like when you actually play it.

anothertech

So, uhm... where is this game?
This.

5dD47N.gif

the-division-o.gif

k4n3

Banned
it looks pretty much exactly like i thought it would, destiny meets mass effect... need to see more of the cutscenes to see if its worth playing not a fan of the bullet sponges so doubt id do any pvp at all

Vid from levelcap. He also uses better capture software. Funny how these youtubers always have better vids then the big sites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dX7y_HkaQI
This is a much better video than the one linked in the OP. It's far more informative, clear, and Level Cap is a better player (Uses cover effectively, dodge rolls). I think the concept of the Dark Zone is interesting. So if high level gear will be there, what if I don't want another player to kill me? Is there a set amount loot attainable from there?

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Those are the two biggest issues I had, but the bullet spongyness really only felt bad on bosses.

The newer videos are what the game looks like when you actually play it.

Nice, thanks for your input.

I noticed that there's some videos with more balanced enemies. And i agree that the Yellow (named) enemies are the worst offenders. And this is in line with Destiny's comparison =]

Yeah, the new videos look miles better. And the Darkzone/Extraction concept seems really cool.

I know that it's like an rpg where the enemies can be higher level than you, but i don't think all the videos show under-leveled players against stronger enemies.

It's worth noting that if you go through the various videos, you'll notice that some players kill faster due to more accurate aiming. That being said, any Boss type enemies are going to be spongy due to the nature of being a Boss and also the fact that they'll have three players laying into them.

Most Co-Op RPG Shooters have some type of spongy enemies because, let's face it, a team of really skilled players would just tear through fights otherwise. It's a bit of a necessary evil.

Theorry

Nice, thanks for your input.

I noticed that there's some videos with more balanced enemies. And i agree that the Yellow (named) enemies are the worst offenders. And this is in line with Destiny's comparison =]

Yeah the yellow and purple enemies are "bullet sponges" indeed. But if you keep back in your mind that they are the bosses, its a rpg and you need to concentrate fire on it with your fire team to take him down. Using the abilty roll anyone can have. Its isnt that bad. The normal red bar enemies are dead fast enough really. Those you come across the most. :)

Like i said before also. The sounds of the game and the recoil also helps that it doesnt feel like you arent doing any damage to them. They have just alot of health. But thats something you need to feel yourself in a game. Very difficult to see in a vid and difficult to explain. :)

Yurikerr

It's worth noting that if you go through the various videos, you'll notice that some players kill faster due to more accurate aiming. That being said, any Boss type enemies are going to be spongy due to the nature of being a Boss and also the fact that they'll have three players laying into them.

Most Co-Op RPG Shooters have some type of spongy enemies because, let's face it, a team of really skilled players would just tear through fights otherwise. It's a bit of a necessary evil.

Yeah the yellow and purple enemies are "bullet sponges" indeed. But if you keep back in your mind that they are the bosses, its a rpg and you need to concentrate fire on it with your fire team to take him down. Using the abilty roll anyone can have. Its isnt that bad. The normal red bar enemies are dead fast enough really. Those you come across the most. :)

Like i said before also. The sounds of the game and the recoil also helps that it doesnt feel like you arent doing any damage to them. They have just alot of health. But thats something you need to feel yourself in a game. Very difficult to see in a vid and difficult to explain. :)

Thanks guys. I agree with all that you said.

I just hope that the game does a good job of scaling the difficult of content to the number of players fighting the enemies. This might be hard as the game nature is that the word is seamlessly populated with other players and you can't play offline.

This way i think it might be like the patrol in Destiny, where everyone in the same session can kill the enemies, even if they aren't playing together.

Just adding another point, one minor thing that's kind of annoying is the variety of enemies, or better put, the absence of it.

My god... This has to be one of the most uninspired shit I have ever seen. 0 creativity, boring stuff and "deja vu" everywhere.

***Skip***

Thanks guys. I agree with all that you said.

I just hope that the game does a good job of scaling the difficult of content to the number of players fighting the enemies. This might be hard as the game nature is that the word is seamlessly populated with other players and you can't play offline.

This way i think it might be like the patrol in Destiny, where everyone in the same session can kill the enemies, even if they aren't playing together.

I'm thinking that it will probably be similar to Destiny in that common areas will have a chance of putting other players in the same area while mission areas will be instanced to your group.

Darkzone will probably place you in a server that has a max number of total players so as to increase the chance of coming across other groups. The limit, of course, to prevent from an overload of players making the game performance suffer.

Edit: For example.. https://youtu.be/_VrKz-JNFJY?t=9m4s The area where I've started this video is probably common.. then you'll notice he walks through a sort of hallway before getting to an interior where the mission kicks off. That probably functions as the transition from common area to mission area similar to Destiny.

Yurikerr

I'm thinking that it will probably be similar to Destiny in that common areas will have a chance of putting other players in the same area while mission areas will be instanced to your group.

Darkzone will probably place you in a server that has a max number of total players so as to increase the chance of coming across other groups. The limit, of course, to prevent from an overload of players making the game performance suffer.

Edit: For example.. https://youtu.be/_VrKz-JNFJY?t=9m4s The area where I've started this video is probably common.. then you'll notice he walks through a sort of hallway before getting to an interior where the mission kicks off. That probably functions as the transition from common area to mission area similar to Destiny.

This makes sense.

Those who played the alpha (if they can and if it was implemented), how was the Darkzone integration? It was like a mission you select or just a area of the map that you access?

Edit: This looks much more integrated than the destiny system. At first i thought that the "Secure the lobby" mission was like one of the patrol's activities in Destiny (kill VIP, collect resources, scan the ship, etc). But i looks like it's more like GTA were you go to the spot on the map and the mission starts.

The other two players (ROOK Bronson and Ryan) must be from the same "squad" as the player, right?

OrangeOak

can't wait to play it. Alpha was amazing and it looked awesome for Xbox One.
I would really like to see character to be shared between PC and Xbox One though as I will probably get it for both.

Theorry

This makes sense.

Those who played the alpha (if they can and if it was implemented), how was the Darkzone integration? It was like a mission you select or just a area of the map that you access?

Area of the map. Like middle manhattan is the darkzone.

This makes sense.

I was not in the Alpha but it has been stated that the Darkzone is an area of the map that you access. Entering typically requires scaling a fence, barricades, etc.. or walking in through an airlock. It's clearly marked and requires you to actively try to enter it, so you don't find yourself just wandering into an Open PvP area without knowing it.

Deku Tree

Shooting looks really boring. I don't get the comparisons to Destiny. The best thing about Destiny is the shooting. This looks like a generic boring cover shooter.

Miles better?Seriously?It looks exactly the same but in higher resolution. Also the screen tearing almost cut my eyes off on the first video

This makes sense.

Edit: This looks much more integrated than the destiny system. At first i thought that the "Secure the lobby" mission was like one of the patrol's activities in Destiny (kill VIP, collect resources, scan the ship, etc). But i looks like it's more like GTA were you go to the spot on the map and the mission starts.

The other two players (ROOK Bronson and Ryan) must be from the same "squad" as the player, right?

The Dark Zone is in the center of the map and the entire DZ is sealed off with the exception of certain entry points. From the PVE side, you go to the entry point. Walk into a small "airlock" room and then take whatever supplies you need from the box in that room. There is also a vendor in that room which sells stuff based on DZ currency. You then walk out the other door and you seamlessly enter the DZ with other players. There isn't any "loading", its more a slow walk and open the door animation while you enter.

Its really well done.

zedge

I was about to comment on that. It looks really really good, but there's, like, a lot of tearing. And it's the XBone version.

There does not appear to be as much in the high quality videos form level cap or jack frags. The video in the OP is really bad quality and should be updated with these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2rT35dr-Rk

Need to try this game before I decide, it looks like it could be fun but also looks a bit boring. Would like to see the PS4 and PC versions. Jack has seen the PC version but they are not allowed to talk about it.

Shredderi

The graphics are awesome. Art style is on point too. The moment-to-moment gameplay though looks extremely boring and uninspired. Goddammit.

There does not appear to be as much in the high quality videos form level cap or jack frags. The video in the OP is really bad quality and should be updated with these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2rT35dr-Rk

Need to try this game before I decide, it looks like it could be fun but also looks a bit boring. Would like to see the PS4 and PC versions. Jack has seen the PC version but they are not allowed to talk about it.

It looks exactly the same. Only in areas where he's not doing much it keeps consistent. See this place for example https://youtu.be/L2rT35dr-Rk?t=5m1s

Yurikerr

Miles better?Seriously?It looks exactly the same but in higher resolution. Also the screen tearing almost cut my eyes off on the first video

I was not talking about the graphics, but the gameplay.

If you follow the conversation you'll see that i made that comment after another poster told me to watch other videos were the game was more interesting (in response to my first comment that the game looked boring). Here, i'll even quote the posts for you:

Being honest the 15 minutes footage was very boring. Just a standard cover shooter all-around.

And i'm not really a fan of the damage markers, but i'm positive you can disable it.

At least we have the beta coming to try it by ourselves.

Watch the other two videos in the thread... I thought the same about the first one, but the others have sold me on the game even more.

The only thing i said in this entire thread about the game visuals is that it remembers me of Watch Dogs (aesthetically speaking).

The Dark Zone is in the center of the map and the entire DZ is sealed off with the exception of certain entry points. From the PVE side, you go to the entry point. Walk into a small "airlock" room and then take whatever supplies you need from the box in that room. There is also a vendor in that room which sells stuff based on DZ currency. You then walk out the other door and you seamlessly enter the DZ with other players. There isn't any "loading", its more a slow walk and open the door animation while you enter.

Its really well done.

Thanks for all your posts. And sorry about the spam of questions.

Yes, they're in the same Squad. You can see who is in your (or in this case, the player's) squad by looking in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Looks sub 30 most of the time :/

I've watched a few videos this morning but I believe it was Arekks(?) video where he states that the Xbox one version is 30fps. This could be true of PS4 as well but I don't recall specifically.

Theorry

Zero criticisms. Oh right, it's a Ubisoft sponsored video. That makes sense. Dude did sponsored videos for EA with Battlefield 4, so not surprised.

So dont listen to it then and take it with a grain of salt. But the vid is worth watching because its properly recorded.

Hope your aren't also disappointed when you don't get this after you order from the menu...

mcdonalds-Cheeseburger.png

The game looks great. And I also think it is great to play. (played the shit out of the Alpha) But never trust what some companies are trying to sell at E3 and other events.

Oh please, Ubisoft has been living off this type of hype for the last four years.

Step 1) Release insane looking game that looks amazingly dynamic and has insane looking graphics

Step 2) Go dark for around 2 years

Step 3) Release new footage near release and pretend there isn't a massive downgrade in what was shown in the original release (this is important, it gives fanboys and people who are invested in the product a thing to point to for a defense when others point to the Ubisoft Cycle TM

Step 4) Hope that hype is high enough before everyone catches on and get millions in sales as everyone agrees the game is amazingly cookie cutter and mediocre.

Repeat

Ubisoft deserves the shit they are getting, they are a constant repeat offender of this type shit.

IGN put up a video showing off PVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLvLSY16ZYc

Honestly I like how it takes a while to kill enemies. One of the main things I was curious/concerned about this game from years ago when it was first talked about was the PVP encounters. I just feel like the way PVP is setup in this game, I'd prefer the encounter to be more about a bit of a longer chess game rather than just a twitchy "few shots and dead" thing. I'm glad they're taking this direction with it.

Setsuna

Step 3) Release new footage near release and pretend there isn't a massive downgrade in what was shown in the original release (this is important, it gives fanboys and people who are invested in the product a thing to point to for a defense when others point to the Ubisoft Cycle TM

Ac Unity
Ac Syndicate
Far cry 4
R6:S

do not fall into that step

Oh please, Ubisoft has been living off this type of hype for the last four years.

Step 1) Release insane looking game that looks amazingly dynamic and has insane looking graphics

Step 4) Hope that hype is high enough before everyone catches on and get millions in sales as everyone agrees the game is amazingly cookie cutter and mediocre.

Repeat

Ubisoft deserves the shit they are getting, they are a constant repeat offender of this type shit.

Exactly why people should stop falling for it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

How have they been going dark on this game when they've shown it at a shit ton of events? Not to mention what a shit statement, AC:Unity and FC4 looked amazing at release and were shown months beforehand. Many of their games are shown months or a year before release. And no company deserves for their game to get shit on
-because the console version doesn't look as good as pc
-because the footage released, especially in the OP that still needs to be updated btw is compressed to hell and back

It's like reading a thread full of people claiming UC4 got downgraded because it looks like this on youtube:
YxhDmh.jpg

Youtube is one of the worst ways to judge a game visually with any sort of scrutiny. Especially when it comes to things like texture detail. Which is one of the highlights of the game visually.

Top Bottom