• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division - 15 minutes of new gameplay

tayls129

"Quickly team, we're about to have a lot of footage captured. Boot it up on the weakest hardware of the cycle."
"But...but sir...we have high-end PC's it could run on and make a better first impression."
"lol, xboxone"

Just a heads up guys.. all this footage released today was from events where Youtubers and Press were invited to one of the studios to play. Alpha gameplay is, I believe, still under NDA.

This shit again..
Siege has also a marketing deal with MS. Still the PS4 version has a higher resolution.
Syndicate has a marketing deal with Sony. But both console were running at 900p just like Unity a year before. Wich had marketing with MS..
Higher resolution doesn't automatically translate into better visuals. You still have shaders, AA, lighting, AO, etc., all of which contribute to final picture quality.

I still wouldn't hold your breath on the PS4 version looking better. The PC version probably will, though.

Was there PVP in the alpha?

Yes. The Dark Zones were there and should be in the beta. I thought they were awesome. I got DayZ vibes....minus the clunk.

Higher resolution doesn't automatically translate into better visuals. You still have shaders, AA, lighting, AO, etc., all of which contribute to final picture quality.

I still wouldn't hold your breath on the PS4 version looking better. The PC version probably will, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PC version is delayed.

Well.....theres one asshole

I think that's what makes it awesome though. Don't freaking trust anyone in a Dark Zone. Sometimes even your own teammates. Just because of that one trailer about the Dark Zones they showed, A friend had the idea to leave the group after we summoned extraction and he took all our shit. Hahaha.

I was not talking about the graphics, but the gameplay.

If you follow the conversation you'll see that i made that comment after another poster told me to watch other videos were the game was more interesting (in response to my first comment that the game looked boring). Here, i'll even quote the posts for you:

The only thing i said in this entire thread about the game visuals is that it remembers me of Watch Dogs (aesthetically speaking).

Thanks for all your posts. And sorry about the spam of questions.
My apologies I thought you were referring to the graphics!

Theorry

I dont think so to. Think they go with the AC approach of 900p. But that doesnt mean because of the marketing deal. That point it was trying to prove.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
My honest opinion is that this game looks really boring. Even before raising my other concerns about content and the model.

Theorry

I think that's what makes it awesome though. Don't freaking trust anyone in a Dark Zone. Sometimes even your own teammates. Just because of that one trailer about the Dark Zones they showed, A friend had the idea to leave the group after we summoned extraction and he took all our shit. Hahaha.

Stuff is going to be more fun with proximity chat haha.

This is why i wont play this game if Dark zones are crucial.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
My apologies I thought you were referring to the graphics!

No problem. I see how the comment can be vague. And being the top of the page one doesn't do it any favors.

I'll reserve my judgment about the graphics when i watch the uncompressed footage that was posted in another thread and, most important, when we have the beta at the end of the month.

ViciousDS

Banned
They aren't, you have your PvE main level and then a completely separate Dark Zone level. Think of it like the Crucible or Iron Banner in Destiny.

Except so far the only way to get the best gear according to interviews is being forced to use the dark zone......its the reason why I don't care for it.

Ploid 3.0

You know, I don't think I remember this being a RPG. I'm back interested. Online RPG is something I wanted to see a lot more of. Now I will look for info on how much of a RPG it is, hopefully it's not just a type of CoD levels/loadout with a bit of a tech tree thing.

Except so far the only way to get the best gear according to interviews is being forced to use the dark zone......its the reason why I don't care for it.

It does seem like the Dark Zone is being stated to have, at the very least, the best components for weapons, if not the best drops but there is still a bit of hope in this:

Q:You’re going to be releasing free, regular updates – are there going to be daily and weekly challenges to encourage players to come back every day once the game is live?

A:I don’t know the specifics of the timing of those things. The reason why I’m wavering a little is that we purposefully don’t want to talk about the endgame content, and the contents of the DLC and the updates. There’s so much game in the initial release that we want to focus on that. The short answer is we’ll be doing many things to keep you revisiting once it’s out for a long time.

Source: https://www.vg247.com/2016/01/15/th...ay-hard-mode-loot-and-free-updates-laid-bare/

The problem is.. there could be a PvE Endgame that offers equally good stuff but they're not talking about it because they don't want to talk about Endgame yet... or it could just be that Endgame is lacking and that's why they're not talking about it yet. Unfortunately there's no way to tell.

Edit: Re: the post below.. see that's a weird one because there seems to be slightly different info depending on the interview. Like this VG247 interview says there will be no Microtransactions but one of the Youtuber reviews stated they asked the Devs and the Devs said that there would be Microtransactions but they're only cosmetic.

ViciousDS

Banned
i hope thats not the case. If it is, im out.

from an article today

The Dark Zone is The Division‘s biggest hook – both its best bet at lasting popularity but also the element that might be the most off-putting to many players.

The best loot is in the Dark Zone, and so is the greatest danger. The enemies there are far more dangerous than those outside and require more planning and better equipment to take down. This is also where the game’s player versus player combat comes into play.

Even a few articles from last June with Dev's mentioned it.

Eurogamer

The fact that the game's best loot is hidden in these areas means that you will need to weigh up risk and reward when venturing in, Ubisoft hopes, and sometimes not succeed.

I did chuckle at this. Door closing is still in! :D

54ax65v.gif

That doesn't mean that the PvE gear isn't good. You do not have to go into the Dark Zones to get gear that will get you through the main content.

I mean, isn't technically the best gear in Destiny and something like WoW tied to stuff like Raids and PvP stuff?

I don't think you are going to be playing the game at your own pace and run into walls, were to progress you have to have the best of the best gear. Just gear related to your specific level. I don't think it really matters. Who cares if someone has a better weapon than you if you are never having to go toe to toe with them.

ViciousDS

Banned
That doesn't mean that the PvE gear isn't good. You do not have to go into the Dark Zones to get gear that will get you through the main content.

I mean, isn't technically the best gear in Destiny and something like WoW tied to stuff like Raids and PvP stuff?

I don't think you are going to be playing the game at your own pace and run into walls, were to progress you have to have the best of the best gear. Just gear related to your specific level. I don't think it really matters. Who cares if someone has a better weapon than you if you are never having to go toe to toe with them.

I'm a PvE'er who likes min maxing and if its not possible to do that in PvE, its kind of lame. Especially if they do add raids and you want to challenge yourself to how fast you can dominate them.

sjay1994

Hmm, I'm thinking about it... but I feel like I really don't want to do another loot based MP shooter after Destiny.

I'll play the beta, but I am probably going to cancel my pre order.

Will wait for For Honor though.

I'm a PvE'er who likes min maxing and if its not possible to do that in PvE, its kind of lame. Especially if they do add raids and you want to challenge yourself to how fast you can dominate them.

But I'm saying that you can min max if you just wanna play PvE. You are going to be getting better and better gear throughout a PvE experience. If there are raids, I'm sure there will be specific gear rewards for that as well, which you can also min max.

Is it that you don't like the fact that there will be a group of people that you will never be encountering that will have better gear than you? ---not being sarcastic. I find this stuff super interesting with me personally not being a min max sort of player.

ViciousDS

Banned
But I'm saying that you can min max if you just wanna play PvE. You are going to be getting better and better gear throughout a PvE experience. If there are raids, I'm sure there will be specific gear rewards for that as well, which you can also min max.

Is it that you don't like the fact that there will be a group of people that you will never be encountering that will have better gear than you? ---not being sarcastic. I find this stuff super interesting with me personally not being a min max sort of player.

a min maxer personally wanting the best gear available in a game is interesting?

I'm done here

Looks like a fun co op shooter with even better RPG mechanics than Destiny, which is exactly what I am looking for to get my former Destiny group playing again. I miss the co op fun. It can elevate a decent game to a great one just by playing with friends, shooting the shit literally and figuratively each night. Tempted for a pre order to try out the beta.

I would've been more into this if it was Stalker.us. But it was never going to be that, whatchu gonna do.
The game seems alright, but I suspect if I stumble into the dark zone, I'll just get killed over and over until I stop going in there and stick to shooting dumb bulletsponges to get better weapons to shoot tougher bulletsponges with, until I drift away from the game and feel like that was kind of a waste.

I like the idea of rebuilding that big postal building though. Things changing visually in a game because of you doing a thing, makes it feel like you're having an impact on the world, and one you're inclined to feel more invested in.

Graphics.

Deku Tree

I thought a dev gave an interview that said "no raids".

This is what I don't get. The textures art and menus are all in place. Even the skybox is downgraded. Why?

There are complete day / night cycles and weather effects so time of day and other factors could be in play here regarding the skybox and make it tough to compare.

In some of the Xbox One videos the game has looked great. I am more concerned with how the gameplay and feel of the weaponry holds up and the progression of character building.

jesu

ROFL it went from a full motion capture event to auto close when you bump the door, man i cant wait to see the PC version....

The hand still goes up and closes the door, you just can't see his left hand in that gif.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
ROFL it went from a full motion capture event to auto close when you bump the door, man i cant wait to see the PC version....
It still is a context sensitive animation, the character still reaches out his hand to perform it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The initial BS showing(Ubi style) of this game got me somewhat hype and hoping it'll only get better lol. Literally went from somewhat hype to zero hype after seeing all this new footage. This current game, I will most likely not touch.

Top Bottom