• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division beta had over 6.4 million players, biggest New IP beta this gen

Tecnniqe

Banned
What is DivisionGAF's favorite drink while playing and why is it Summer Red Bull?
Red%20bull%20-%20March%202015.jpg

It gives exotic damage resistance

G_Berry

Banned
I'm happy for them with these figures. The game is something unique and deserves good support from us.

Now, that said, they sure as hell better reciprocate the support. Please don't nickel and dime us with bullshit dlc and cruddy patch fixing.

This is your chance Ubisoft! Don't blow it.

Tovarisc

Agreed.

I put them on par with cigarettes. Nasty, addictive to a lot of people, and horrible for you.

Gross

There has been interesting trend going on in Finland, stores won't sell energy drinks to kids younger than 16yo if their parent isn't with them. It's not legally demanded thing, just something what some stores have started doing.

Sorry but I insist, Does it seems for you that this game could have like... Half the content Destiny had at launch? Remember how that went? I do...
Beta Destiny had: Strikes, Patrol, Story Missions, Crucible. Compare that with The Division beta...
I'm not saying it isn't fun but it seems like it's making the same mistakes that Destiny did but worse.

Haven't read much but are people talking about this stuff?

Tovarisc

Sorry but I insist, Does it seems for you that this game could have like... Half the content Destiny had at launch? Remember how that went? I do...
Beta Destiny had: Strikes, Patrol, Story Missions, Crucible. Compare that with The Division beta...
I'm not saying it isn't fun but it seems like it's making the same mistakes that Destiny did but worse.

Division beta had;
  • 2 story missions, 1 being playable on Hard also
  • Story missions also seem to double as "strikes"
  • Several side quests
  • Several minor objectives / events that gave resources
  • DarkZone with PvP and PvE content to go with loot hunting
  • Exploration with healthy amount of interiors on top of alleys and such with their own stories
  • Vanity item hunt (some people spent a lot time with just this alone)
  • Collectibles to find that flesh out story and events
People have concern if full release will have enough content and it's legit concern, but I don't think you could say that beta was light on content and things to do.

Strikes and Story missions just seem to be Story missions in The Division. Playing them on Hard gives really solid rewards, too, like Strike could do.

Patrol is in The Division as "Free Roam" and I found the content to be MUCH more compelling than Destiny's Patrol collectathons/kill 10 bad guys/etc. missions.

Crucible--well, there is no arena mode in The Division, but the Dark Zone is its PvP mode.

I am afraid of The Division making the same mistakes, but I think it's weird to compare it unfavorably, in terms of beta content.

thenameDS

Is there any list being complied of Xbox users gamertags? This is the quintessential co-op game and I need more friends.
Totally agree, would be nice to have a list and play with some people from Gaf. My buddies aren't buying this game until the summer since it's coming out close to exams and dissertation deadlines.

I have the Gold Edition downloaded can't freaking wait! Didn't get into Destiny, but something about this game just clicked with me and I want to play more and more.

Sofa King

So glad they brought out the beta. Earlier impressions and hands on soured me so hard on the game. Beta easily turned me around.

Buying the game due to the beta, but GCU was a big help there. Not jumping on the DLC version since I want to see the depth of the game first. Game has serious potential.

Unmoses

I tried the beta with friends on all 3 platforms, had great fun on all.. I will say the PS4 ingame chat was borked, had no problem on other two clients myself (except PC had voice always on, even with press to talk button)..The PvE stuff was cool, didn't want to burn myself out. I did feel a little like old City of Heroes running around with groups of thugs hanging out on the streets and the like, and the side missions weren't exactly super-deep. I expect some more depth from the final, we shall see. Overall, loved the atmosphere, graphics, immersion, etc.

Some of the DZ tension/battles/hunts were fantastic, and the in-game voice with people running comms was quite excellent. Sure grinding same locations after the first 2 hours wasn't as amazing as original, especially once we over-geared the mobs, but it was enjoyable. I'm hoping for more unique activities in DZ. Either way, definite purchase.. I already have it for PC, but damn I have friends playing on all 3.. ugh.. =)

Rembrandt

Banned
MMOlites are gonna be the big thing this gen. This is gonna do gangbusters. It appeals to a much wider audience than Destiny and is a better game (being fair and judging beta to beta). They were really smart in regards to the dark zone and how that works. This is gonna be a big twitch game, too.

Ubisoft coming for the crown this gen.

Patrol is in The Division as "Free Roam" and I found the content to be MUCH more compelling than Destiny's Patrol collectathons/kill 10 bad guys/etc. missions.

how was the division different from killing bad guys and collecting shit?

id argue that destinys different planets were at least more compelling than running down endless streets that all start to look the same

MMOlites are gonna be the big thing this gen. This is gonna do gangbusters. It appeals to a much wider audience than Destiny and is a better game (being fair and judging beta to beta). They were really smart in regards to the dark zone and how that works. This is gonna be a big twitch game, too.

Ubisoft coming for the crown this gen.

Thats really all opinion. I have played both alpha and beta in both these games and Destiny applealed to me more because of the great fps gameplay.

With that said, I am still getting The Divison day one.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

id argue that destinys different planets were at least more compelling than running down endless streets that all start to look the same
All the missions you do in the open world feed back into your Base of Operations, which feeds into your character progression, (upgrading your BoO unlocks more perks and abilities) as well as the sense of accomplishment as it starts to change and become more populated overtime.
403.gif

This combined with great loot, attachments, and shit tons of exp earned per mission make it way less of a grind than Destiny's patrol missions.

Meneses

I tried both Betas to give it a fair shot and realized I didn'y have any fun playing the game, so it will be a pass for me.

However, Ubisoft landed in a perfect spot regarding launch date. Besides everyone who was already hyped for the game they're gonna land a lot of "hey, there's nothing else big coming out, might as well buy this" people.

Rembrandt

Banned
Not sure if beta numbers are a good metric. It doesn't quantify who liked it or who didnt (I personally found it offensively generic).

true, but does show people interested enough to try it. idk how the division is offensively generic. what games does it remind you of or are really similar to it? we haven't had any realistic (in terms of setting/characters) mmolite games on consoles with areas that encourage teamwork and backstabbing.

How many players did the Black Ops 3 beta have?

no specific number. just "millions."

true, but does show people interested enough to try it. idk how the division is offensively generic. what games does it remind you of or are really similar to it? we haven't had any realistic (in terms of setting/characters) mmolite games on consoles with areas that encourage teamwork and backstabbing.

Yeah, I don't understand the sentiment either.
I've played hundreds of mmorpgs since the last decade, and I've never found anything that resembles The Division. It's anything but generic. The beta was a completely different experience for me. It's a new genre in mmorpg scenes.

Saying biggest new IP beta sounds silly, but whatever. Beta was alright. Some fun stuff in there, but I don't see it lasting me, so I aint getting the full game.

Looks like this game is going to be huge across all 3 platforms. Just hope that Massive can deliver on content to keep ppl going.

I'll be there day 1 though!
Maybe day 2 actually

calder

At least 50% of players going rogue went rogue by accident

So mad when my turret started shooting a random player who ran up and flagged me as rogue. Really annoying and nonsensical.

But I loved the beta, really sold me and my brothers on the game.

So mad when my turret started shooting a random player who ran up and flagged me as rogue. Really annoying and nonsensical.

But I loved the beta, really sold me and my brothers on the game.

A constant experience for me, but felt the same about the beta.

M.W.

Awesome game is awesome. My hats off to Massive and the other 700 people who worked on the game.

In terms of visual variety of environments, sure, Destiny has it beat. On everything else though, in terms of free roam, The Division trounces it, mostly because everything feels way more organic.

Old Russia was the most developed of Destiny's planets, but even that world just felt like a collection of instances in a specific setting. The Division actually feels like a struggling city, in terms of presentation. There are civilians, NPCs, bandits, JTF, AND players roaming around--not just players and bad guys.

The encounters are more interesting and organic, as well. They're less "go do this thing because this faction needs it for some reason" and more "hey, X character or NPC needs help, JTF will be assisting, go rescue that hostage". Simply having actual NPCs, on location, to interact with, goes a long way. Sure, it's "simply" presentation, but it matters, IMO.

I will say that, after a day of playing, I had completed all available events in the beta, but they re-generate fairly frequently. It's fun to be wandering the streets and suddenly a hostage nearby needs to be rescued or a stronghold needs to be raided. The public events in Destiny rarely felt...I don't know. I hate saying organic so much, but having to look at a timer to see when an event comes by to complete, just so you can fulfill a bounty or get the mats you need...

The "strings" in Destiny were front and center. The immersion just wasn't there outside of the raids (which were the most fun in the game and I really enjoyed them) and the strikes, to a lesser extent.

oakenhild

YOU HEAR THAT, BUNGIE??? MATCHMAKING!!!

None of this hand-holdy "trust us to make this decision for you" bullshit. Give us in-game chat and matchmaking--we're adults, we can figure out the rest.

And matchmaking worked great! I exclusively used it for running missions. Other than one or two cases of a guy just running as fast as he can overpowered, it was a lot of fun. Voice chat would be better, but it is PC so that's asking a bit too much for people to have mics.

Mindlog

YOU HEAR THAT, BUNGIE??? MATCHMAKING!!!

None of this hand-holdy "trust us to make this decision for you" bullshit. Give us in-game chat and matchmaking--we're adults, we can figure out the rest.
It was funny how extensively we managed to roll hard missions with randoms. Loved trapping spawns in their stupid closets with grenades and slaughtering them with turrets and weapons.

Ashtar

Is this actually any good?
I don't mean to call you out but for people that were interested why not play the beta when it was out? It seems like it'd be preferable to form your opinion when such a thing is free as opposed to trying to garner a consensus afterwards.
As for me I thoroughly enjoyed the beta, but after getting "burned" on destiny expansion pass I'll hold off on going gold.
I'm an Ubisoft defense force member so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Bolivar687

Banned

It has half the content Destiny had in beta, I'm not so sure about launch. I mentioned this in the other thread but they noticeably held a lot of features and content back, whereas Destiny tipped it's hand with Earth in its entirety. I have a feeling they looked a lot at Destiny for what not to do.

Not to pile on but one thing I'd say it also has over Destiny is the missions. I pretty much gave up on Destiny's story to just do PvP and Strikes because it just didn't seem compelling unless you were in a group and then you might as well do the other group activities. The two Division story missions actually played like a decent TPS campaign. I mention this because a lot of people ask if it holds on its own as a solo experience.

Top Bottom