• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division beta had over 6.4 million players, biggest New IP beta this gen

Z3M0G

I don't. I couldn't help but feel very bored when playing the open beta, which is weird because I really enjoyed the close beta.

Makes perfect sense to me... it's an empty feeling because you know you did this stuff before, and will need to yet again when the game actually releases.

I'm super stoked for the release, which is why I barely played the open beta at all... I had no drive to. I don't like progressing for nothing.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The Division beta sets record with 6.4m players. Comparatively, Destiny's beta had 4.6m.

God i cant wait for this game to release!

2 WEEKS HYPEU

Also this game is still top seller on steam. #1 BABY! after days!

As a Destiny destractor the Destiny beta was much more convincing than this game, more modes and content.

The Division will only have Patrol (city missions), Story Missions, and Dark Zone? Is that all? :S

Is there anything else besides gathering resources and watching your back from other players in Dark Zone? sounds good as a mode but not as an entire multiplayer experience...

That is indeed weird and makes not much sense since the closed and open beta are basically the same thing o_O
I know but when I was playing the close beta, I was very excited because it was essentially a completely new game for me to play. Thus, there were a bunch of things for me to do like learning gameplay mechanics and RPG elements, exploring Darkzone for the first time, and going rogue against other players... It was fun since I was so new to the game. But when I played the open beta again, I realized I would basically do the same thing over and over again as I did before: doing missions which are very repetitive imo, going to darkzone to loot again and again... There are not many things to do in this game really. Maybe because it was just a beta. So yeah. Unless the full game offers much more varieties of contents, I can't get excited about it.

Ushay

2 million Titanfall beta -> 10 million registered players
4.6 million Destiny beta -> 25 million registered players
6.4 million Division beta -> 35 million registered players?

This could end up being a real success for Ubisoft, there was little criticism from beta players.

Let's put this way. I normally prefer not to play games like this ie non adventure or fantasy games, and somehow I am hooked after playing the beta. It's such a well polished game.

Tecnniqe

Banned
As a Destiny destractor the Destiny beta was much more convincing than this game, more modes and content.

The Division will only have Patrol (city missions), Story Missions, and Dark Zone? Is that all? :S

Is there anything else besides gathering resources and watching your back from other players in Dark Zone? sounds good as a mode but not as an entire multiplayer experience...

Idk whats better
"The wizards came from the moon" or
"They got ALEX!"

But really what you are picking it is RPGs at its core.
Be it slashy RPGs or RPGs in general, its all about repeat and get loot.

Well I honestly didn't expect to see some of the comments I'm seeing here, anyway I'll let mine too. Only played the betas and I absolutely love the game, pre ordered the Gold Edition, that's the first time in my gamer life I've done that for a game. So yeah, it's something. Game of the gen for me so far. It's pretty, the gameplay mechanics are great (and we haven't seen all, there's A LOT we haven't seen yet), it's unpredictable, it's fun playing both solo or with friends, the missions are cool, the environments are ridiculously detailed, I don't know any other game with the same attention to detail, at least on PS4, tbh, and the sound design is the icing on the cake.

Lgndryhr

Tried the beta yesterday on my PS4 for about an hour or two. Definitely can tell this is a RPG way more than a TPS. Game seems well built and could be a lot of fun, but just like Destiny you will need / want friends to play it with versus randoms. I was a huge Destiny fan until last few months. I barely touch it now and have been playing since the first Beta. I am not sold on this game yet so I may take a watch and see approach. I already have a hard time trusting Ubisoft.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Tried the beta yesterday on my PS4 for about an hour or two. Definitely can tell this is a RPG way more than a TPS. Game seems well built and could be a lot of fun, but just like Destiny you will need / want friends to play it with versus randoms. I was a huge Destiny fan until last few months. I barely touch it now and have been playing since the first Beta. I am not sold on this game yet so I may take a watch and see approach. I already have a hard time trusting Ubisoft.

Even if you dont have friends you have matchmaking for everything.

Well I honestly didn't expect to see some of the comments I'm seeing here, anyway I'll let mine too. Only played the betas and I absolutely love the game, pre ordered the Gold Edition, that's the first time in my gamer life I've done that for a game. So yeah, it's something. Game of the gen for me so far. It's pretty, the gameplay mechanics are great (and we haven't seen all, there's A LOT we haven't seen yet), it's unpredictable, it's fun playing both solo or with friends, the missions are cool, the environments are ridiculously detailed, I don't know any other game with the same attention to detail, at least on PS4, tbh, and the sound design is the icing on the cake.

Sound design is awesome, i found an echo to gun shots in certain areas, not sure if bug or not as i only heard it a few times but when it was a allyway-ish area with tall buildings all around the gunshot echoed off the walls it sounded like :D

MMaRsu

Banned
Sorry but I dont understand some of you guys opinions. Best mechanics this gen? Lol its a third person shooter.. wut

Dunkley

Played through all the PvE content and DZ up to Rank 8, can't say the game grabbed me. I mean the visuals are nice but I can't say the gameplay or encounter design inside missions and Dark Zone was exactly groundbreaking by any means.

I hope the full game has more interesting mission/encounter design than what was presented in the beta. It's not a good sign if the biggest variation to the general shooting gallery with occasional bullet sponge enemy gameplay was carrying the box in the morgue mission. I know there can be so many more interesting elements to implement into these missions, like fighting on a collapsing building where you have to keep moving as the floor collapses or something as simple as an enemy that purposefully needs to be drawn into an area for them to become vurnable. Something that deviates it from me being able to stay in cover and shoot them all in the head with the worst thing to worry about being grenades and the melee attackers you can easily pick off at the start of the encounters before they even become a threat.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Sorry but I dont understand some of you guys opinions. Best mechanics this gen? Lol its a third person shooter.. wut
Spot on mechanics for a TPS this gen.

Its super tight in every way.
Ubisoft is partnered with Microsoft so XBONE gets all content like a month earlier.

I wish they would stop that shit and/or leave us PC players alone.
We are not a part of the console war yet we always get the short end no matter who gets the deal

AndyD

aka andydumi
I honestly really want to try it. I had no time this past weekend, and didnt get into the PS4 one earlier, but this is a game that I really hope has a demo/F2P option because I'd love to try it out later in the summer after it's been out and launch bugs ironed out.

Tovarisc

Ubisoft is partnered with Microsoft so XBONE gets all content like a month earlier.

I know that, but I don't see how it makes this this their "Destiny". If someone got PS4 just for Destiny timed content I don't know what to say, that content is such waste.

MMaRsu

Banned

We are not a part of the console war yet we always get the short end no matter who gets the deal

Uhm yeah mechanics are fine. Nothing special and no innovation to it at all. Not that thats needed but some of yall saying best mechanics this gen seriously confuse me. This aint nothing new.

Nokterian

Agreed everything feels right with shooting,covering and a lot of weight to it more grounded i like that to me also best mechanics this year.

Uhm yeah mechanics are fine. Nothing special and no innovation to it at all. Not that thats needed but some of yall saying best mechanics this gen seriously confuse me. This aint nothing new.

I think it's the best/smoothest cover system we've had in a while. The shooting is just serviceable, which is fine for the type of game it is.

Don't know if I'd say "best mechanics this gen" at ALL, especially since we've only played the beta.

Klyka

Banned
daym closing on 500 voterinos

image.php

When the straw in your poll piles up juuuuuuuuuuuuuust right

Maddanth

Yeah I had that happen to me. Me and my friend shooting a few NPC's and then another guy runs in front of my fire, we go rogue and everyone decides to murder us.

They need to fix how fast one turns rogue, cause at most I hit him with 3 bullets.
Let's hope they tweak the necessary things. I think they will tweak certain aspects at launch and shortly after launch based on people's feedback etc. it does have allot of potential IMO. I had fun with it.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Btw. if anyone wants to check out my platform poll:

http://strawpoll.me/6888196
Like I said it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that a multiplatform game will most likely sell more on PS4 simply because it has a bigger player base than XB1 and I still think Microsoft wasted their money on that early DLC deal.People will buy a game on their prefered plataform regardless of these silly timed deals.

Just look at Destiny and you will see that the 1 year DLC with Sony didn't stop anyone from buying the game on XB1.

While I'm not sold on the game thus far (after being sold on Destiny and then returning it in the first month I'm being more cautious) I can see the appeal. Was initially much more excited about The Division when it was revealed.

However, these numbers people seem to be excited about make a lot of sense. The fun part is that Destiny beta was on two current gen and two last-gen consoles, meaning userbase was spread. If you discount the last-gen consoles and add in PC, it's not too big a deal, but all said and done it was pretty huge for an online RPG of this nature.

Top Bottom