• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division's DLC has 30-day timed exclusivity on Xbox One.

trikster40

These things don't matter. If it was cross-platform play, it would matter. The fact is the people you are playing with on whatever system have the exact same game you do. Who cares if someone is playing it before you on another system?

When we get cross-platform play, these things will be huge because you will get kicked out of games for not having the DLC. But now, in today's world, meh.

We must have played a different Destiny then. Which I guess going by your opinion we did, because I played it on PS4. But I'll tell you this, the PS exclusive strikes were bland, boring, tedious and unrewarding. And even if I agreed that strikes were in any shape or form a "huge" part of Destiny's end game (I don't), the point is moot because exclusive strikes didn't scale to end game levels as they weren't part of the weekly/nightfall playlists which, arguably, were the only strike related modes that could potentially matter.

Regardless of what you personally feel about story mission, neither you nor anyone on an Xbox platform were locked out of them from day 1, and presumably The Division can do a better story than Destiny Year 1 (which isn't saying much). Raids, which were the pillar of end game content were also available day and date with PlayStation, as well the other strikes introduced with the DLC. Non-Xbox players won't even have that in The Division until the content is well trodden and explored. Especially among the community.

So you are defending the destiny argument due to you finding the content boring? The devision content might be boring but it seems you have decided otherwise. This all really comes across as you defending Sony and shitting on Ms when they both do it and no matter your opinion Sony made a deal to lock content down for an entire year. Both sides do it, Sony to a bigger degree this gen. Its the way it is.

If it was up to me I would have gladly given those exclusive strikes and PvP maps to XBO players, if it meant I didn't need to play that garbage anymore. I take content drought over those afterthought strikes and maps :/ End game for Destiny didn't change with TTK, it's still all about farming raid, doing some strikes when feeling nutty and PvP when events roll by.

Reason why I pulled eject after completing last Raid Challenge as it was last bit of undone PvE content in whole game for me, getting out of that circle has felt great.

Yeah, I bought it day 1 but sold it after a few months because I really hated their asinine business and gameplay decisions. The lack of content really didn't help, either. Dipped back in for TTK, stopped playing after a month or two.

We must have played a different Destiny then. Which I guess going by your opinion we did, because I played it on PS4. But I'll tell you this, the PS exclusive strikes were bland, boring, tedious and unrewarding. And even if I agreed that strikes were in any shape or form a "huge" part of Destiny's end game (I don't), the point is moot because exclusive strikes didn't scale to end game levels as they weren't part of the weekly/nightfall playlists which, arguably, were the only strike related modes that could potentially matter.

Regardless of what you personally feel about story mission, neither you nor anyone on an Xbox platform were locked out of them from day 1, and presumably The Division can do a better story than Destiny Year 1 (which isn't saying much). Raids, which were the pillar of end game content were also available day and date with PlayStation, as well the other strikes introduced with the DLC. Non-Xbox players won't even have that in The Division until the content is well trodden and explored. Especially among the community.

Many of the strikes were bland, boring, tedious, and unrewarding--but they were at least something to do.

I'd have to think that the Strike not being a part of the Nightfall/Weekly rotation is due directly to its exclusivity, too.

Maybe if the story missions of Destiny were worth a damn, I'd care more--but TBH, I'm likely not going to care much about the story in The Division. I'm buying it for the MP and to play with friends. I rarely played Destiny alone, because it wasn't worth it (to me).

I agree that missing out on "discovery" in the content is a bummer. That's actually one of the things I appreciated about TTK: it had a number of secrets in the raid AND strikes.

Tovarisc

So you are defending the destiny argument due to you finding the content boring? The devision content might be boring but it seems you have decided otherwise. This all really comes across as you defending Sony and shitting on Ms when they both do it and no matter your opinion Sony made a deal to lock content down for an entire year. Both sides do it, Sony to a bigger degree this gen. Its the way it is.

I agree with Silvards point that what Division is doing with this is worse than what Destiny is doing. When looking at what kind games they are / supposed to be; heavy with story content and experience, supported by variety of end game content like raids, strikes etc. When you put out such content with timed exclusivity to one platform out of three there is all kinds of avenues to get all that fresh story, raids etc. spoiled to you.

That is very shitty for some of us. At least Destiny gives all that meat to everyone on Day 1.

That also doesn't mean nor say that timed exclusivities in any way are good or should be supported. No matter what game or platform there shouldn't be [time] exclusive content.

Silvard

I'm not defending anyone, I don't care about Sony vs Microsoft, I haven't even talked about them once. I already stated that exclusivity deals are of no benefit to anyone on our side of the discussion. I'm talking about degrees of exclusivity. The argument isn't that they didn't matter because they were boring, the argument is that they were less significant to the overall experience than having to wait for all the DLC content to drop while the actually significant parts of the experience are already getting coverage and discussion. The exclusive strikes mattered less in a year than ALL future end game content and modes for 30 days. Both suck, but one impacts more, and it's not due to the exclusivity window but rather the extent and breadth of the exclusivity.

Many of the strikes were bland, boring, tedious, and unrewarding--but they were at least something to do.

I'd have to think that the Strike not being a part of the Nightfall/Weekly rotation is due directly to its exclusivity, too.

Maybe if the story missions of Destiny were worth a damn, I'd care more--but TBH, I'm likely not going to care much about the story in The Division. I'm buying it for the MP and to play with friends. I rarely played Destiny alone, because it wasn't worth it (to me).

I agree that missing out on "discovery" in the content is a bummer. That's actually one of the things I appreciated about TTK: it had a number of secrets in the raid AND strikes.

Yes, this is why I say that the dearth of content in Destiny exacerbated the exclusivity situation. But the meat of the game, however lean and dry it might have been, was served freshly cooked across all platforms.

I agree with Silvards point that what Division is doing with this is worse than what Destiny is doing. When looking at what kind games they are / supposed to be; heavy with story content and experience, supported by variety of end game content like raids, strikes etc. When you put out such content with timed exclusivity to one platform out of three there is all kinds of avenues to get all that fresh story, raids etc. spoiled to you.

That is very shitty for some of us. At least Destiny gives all that meat to everyone on Day 1.

That also doesn't mean nor say that timed exclusivities in any way are good or should be supported. No matter what game or platform there shouldn't be [time] exclusive content.

I think it really depends on the quality of the content.

Pre-Destiny launch, hearing that we get all the Story missions and only miss out on one Strike? Totally not a big deal.

A few days into Destiny, when all Story missions have been beat (with zero reason to replay them) and Strike playlists are repeating the same levels over and over? Fuuuuuck all that horrible story shit--I'm dying for content, gimme that Strike.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I have indeed considered the possibility; I just don't find it likely. That being said - I'm not the one to say what they should do or what they should want, I'm only speculating ... (as a grumpy man who think their talent goes wasted).

Anyhow, when I visited them while WiC was in development there was no doubt what type of games they were interested in making. Granted, things change and all that but I'm having a hard time believing they wanted to go from developing GC & WiC -> small projects within Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Uplay etc. -> a third person shooter.

It's very possible they pitched the idea themselves, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the project of their dreams. Ubi may have declined their previous projects so they went with an idea Ubi eventually would be OK with. I mean, at the end of the day it's a type of game that typically generates more revenue than a RTS.

I take it you didn't play the beta? It's a very generic and dull experience.

Not solely because of that, but it definitely decreases my trust in the company/game.

It also indicates a certain level of insecurity with their investment.
You're providing some absolutely baseless speculation about the developers while ignoring the facts that have been presented to you. You seriously need to stop projecting and 'speculating" that this wasn't a huge dream project at the studio and that they aren't very happy to be working on a project of this scale, (with it actually working, especially since they created an intuitive in-house engine while they were at it). And yes I played the game. We have different definitions of dull, especially considering just how little content was in the beta compared to the full game.

It's just DLC.

Do people actually care about this?

Based on the responses in this thread and still counting...that would appear to be the case.

It is not my only option but I am getting it on the Xbox because you can get the Gold edition of the game quite cheap plus my mates are also getting it on the Xbox.

You have my attention, where may one find the gold edition for cheap? Is this digital?

Oh no!

Watch me go out and buy an Xbox One because I can't wait 30 days.

Oh...wait. No. That would be insane.

What are they even thinking with exclusives like this? Are they playing to the multi-console crowd in the hopes that they go XB1 and not PS4?

Oh no!

What are they even thinking with exclusives like this? Are they playing to the multi-console crowd in the hopes that they go XB1 and not PS4?

I'm sure they are not betting on this, it's been on MS E3 stage for like two years now...I mean this marketing deal didn't just happen yesterday.

Finaj

Oh no!

It's the same thing Sony does with Destiny and CoD *shrug*

notaskwid

Not that bad for Ubisoft, their games do well even on the smaller install base of XB1.

Jokes on them, play on a Sony Vaio /s

But no, I am pretty sure GameStop just ignores PC, so they probably mean PS4/PC.

I doubt Ubisoft will be shafting their 5 clients on UPlay, but who knows..

GnawtyDog

Banned
I wouldve still bought it for the Xbox if DLC came out on PS4 first. Its an online game. Good luck playing this during all the PSN outages

Lol is this a serious burn comeback?

This thread is delivering in spades already.
-------------------------------------------

Not buying the game Day One..I'll see feedback first and buy it discounted if good.... this sort of deal does work however. The higher the profile of the game, the better. MS had to get some. They got rekt last year in the fall.

Quazar

I don't get how people say this doesn't matter. Especially for these types of games. Even though I'm playing on Xbox it still sucks for everyone who has to wait. For single player games and map packs sure, not a big deal.

I don't get how people say this doesn't matter. Especially for these types of games. Even though I'm playing on Xbox it still sucks for everyone who has to wait. For single player games and map packs sure, not a big deal.

>>

I could not actually care less. Sure I will have to wait for 30 days but why is that such a big problem. I wont watch any gameplay off it before it goes live on PS4.

The real question should be why anyone should care. Play were your friends are since this game is based around that not for some stupid 30 day exclusive deal.

Ushay

30 day exclusive >>>>>>>>>>>>> yearly exclusive shit like destiny

especially when it's content that helps fill the main game up with things to do.
This a million times. Hated that shit, made me quit.

30 days is fine. I can hardly see the point of it to be honest, it's hardly a reason to chose 1 platform over the other.

Cleve

It's a shame that this exclusive timed dlc is still a thing on any system. I really don't get the point personally, it doesn't seem like a significant motivator that I'd ever buy a system for, or even a game for on a non-preferred platform. Obviously it must be effective in some way though, companies love to do it. I'm curious if they have any numbers to back up these kinds of deals.

Teletraan1

Banned
It's a merry-go-round. MS buys content for CoD, fanboys bitch. Sony buys content for CoD, fanboys bitch. MS buys more content, fanboys bitch. Next time Sony buys content fanboys will bitch.

What I'm saying is for fanboys it will always be *platform* Too™ : The Thread.

The common thread is that people bitch. Instead of focusing on Sony and MS we should cast our ire at the fucking dirtbag publishers who sell these exclusive deals like whores. It just ends up pissing off a userbase that just vents in threads like this and buys this shit anyway. If people want it to stop then they have to start voting with dollars but that will never happen so round and round it goes.

I guess that means I am buying this on XBONE!

Pftttttttttttt who am i kidding!? Who would want it on xbone!! (other than if that's your only option or all your fwends have xbones!)

803929ecb9179dd8ac2864079d9224a6.jpg

Buying rights to have DLC first! Wonder if it will be a successful move!

Yeah because that totally never works.... See Call of Duty last gen.

Top Bottom