• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division's DLC has 30-day timed exclusivity on Xbox One.

I'm buying the game on my PS4; but tomorrow I'll be on the Xbox One beta and then switching back to PS4 on Friday. This effort by MS is a little too late. Console player bases are pretty set at the moment and the PS4 is currently the champ. This just frustrates a vast amount of consumers and potential consumers.

Also there is always a lot of Destiny hate but I doubt everyone that is voicing their disdain for both experienced Destiny's content that was held back. The strikes and maps that were held back did not affect Destiny's story. Now if Bungie held back raids or key missions then this would be a different story. Both situations are terrible and The Division will be getting more hate from this than praise. There will be no surprises for PS4 owners. If you are already within the PS4 ecosystem with your games and your friends I don't think you will be persuaded to get this on Xbox One. Also I tried following GameStop's rhetoric by completely ignoring PC.

Respawn

Banned
30days? Is that even worth paying for being in the position they're in?
Hmm... I own PS4 and XB1 and I'm buying on XB1 (it's my primary console because my friends play it), so there you go.
I always see these post. Now if you only had an X1 then you're good to go but you own a console that plays it better. You're not getting it for free I assume so that makes it more relevant to pay for the better version with your hard earned money. So your friends only like anchoives on their pizza. Do you also get it on yours? In the end it's still your choice of course. Not trying to start an argument. Just looking at it a different way.

Tovarisc

I'd say the content held back in Destiny was pretty far from meaningless. Withholding strikes from a game that was starved for content was extremely shitty. Both scenarios are crappy, I just think Destiny did it worse.

I have played all that timed content as I have Destiny + DLC's + TTK on PS4, and I feel that nothing of value was gained. Core content of content packs, that everyone got on day 1!, was always better quality and timed exclusive gear just doesn't compete in end game. I'm not arguing timed exclusivities are okay etc., but in case of Destiny I would have been okay with waiting year for that stuff because it's weaker than what everyone got.

Would content drought been lesser issue if PS exclusivity was e.g. 30 days or none at all? I don't honestly know because you basically did that PS stuff once and never wanted to go back.

Destiny deal was a lot worse because you had Xbox one and PS4 players charged the same for DLC but PS4 players got extra content for the same price. That was terrible.

This is pretty much the reverse of the black ops 3 deal. Frankly I don't really care about waiting 30 days. It's no biggie. Just a bit of advertising fluff.

PS and XBox players got all story, raids, end game gear etc. on Day 1, not with 30 days to 1 year difference. For those who don't give flying shit about e.g. story in Division or don't mind learning out all new end game content month before playing it themselves this is very minor thing for sure. I don't think CoD MP maps are comparable to endgame content of games like Division or Destiny.

Wedzi

Banned

I always see these post. Now if you only had an X1 then you're good to go but you own a console that plays it better. You're not getting it for free I assume so that makes it more relevant to pay for the better version with your hard earned money. So your friends only like anchoives on their pizza. Do you also get it on yours? In the end it's still your choice of course. Not trying to start an argument. Just looking at it a different way.

They announced some kind of DLC deal way back at E3 2014. My guess this deal was struck a while ago.

Might as well respond to your other question. The Division is very online focused so he probably just wants to play with his friends which is very understandable. As for other single player focused games then it could come down to comparing achievements or party chat. To go along with the pizza analogy, if my friends and I are going out for pizza and they only like anchovies on their pizza, I'll be happy to accommodate because I would rather spend time eating pizza with friends than alone. (But if I'm getting pizza by myself you better bet there won't be any damn anchovies on my pizza haha)

The shittiest tactic/trend of the last few years regardless of platform. It hasn't once dictated my purchasing habits and all it does is punish those that are invested in your game.

I fail to see how garbage after thought content from Destiny is somehow comparable to this. Every major expansion released on the same day. Both situations shows why time "exclusive" items shouldn't be happening.

Wedzi

Banned
They announced it at the Gamescom before that, in 2013. It was a pre-launch deal which they obviously kept

It could turn out to be a pretty good deal. Don't timed exclusive deals like this effect which version popular twitch streamers and other "personalities" choose to play? Like what happened with Call of Duty and Destiny?

It's a multiplayer game. You play those games with your friends and my closest gaming friends have XB1 consoles. XB1 in this case gets the content earlier and performs close to the PS4 version as well. I don't see the major negatives in my case.

Forsythia

It's dumb, but I remember the celebration when PS4 got the CoD DLC 30 days first, and of course Destiny. Double standards again, I get it. It's either stupid and anti-consumer or not. Can't have both ways.

This turned into Sony Too™ : The thread.

Looks like it was first turned into a Lol @ MS thread, then a @ Sony does it too thread, etc.

Def some salt being tossed around here. Either way, it is what is it was clear they had marketing for the game, not sure why this is a big surprise.

Have you consider that they don't want to make RTS all the time? And that maybe they would want to try to make other things?

Because developers want to try different things and not always delve into the same thing. Whether you end up thinking is generic is irrelevant, it's still the game they wanted to make.

Btw...it's not generic. The complaints about it not playing the way people expected proves that.

I have indeed considered the possibility; I just don't find it likely. That being said - I'm not the one to say what they should do or what they should want, I'm only speculating ... (as a grumpy man who think their talent goes wasted).

Anyhow, when I visited them while WiC was in development there was no doubt what type of games they were interested in making. Granted, things change and all that but I'm having a hard time believing they wanted to go from developing GC & WiC -> small projects within Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Uplay etc. -> a third person shooter.

It's very possible they pitched the idea themselves, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the project of their dreams. Ubi may have declined their previous projects so they went with an idea Ubi eventually would be OK with. I mean, at the end of the day it's a type of game that typically generates more revenue than a RTS.

Because it's not a generic shooter. FFS one of the main complaints is about how it's not realistic and is an RPG, (despite being advertised as an RPG from the onset).

I take it you didn't play the beta? It's a very generic and dull experience.

And seriously skipping a game because of timed dlc? Ok.

Not solely because of that, but it definitely decreases my trust in the company/game.

It also indicates a certain level of insecurity with their investment.

8VruBcQ.gif
How have I never seen this? lol

It's dumb, but I remember the celebration when PS4 got the CoD DLC 30 days first, and of course Destiny. Double standards again, I get it. It's either stupid and anti-consumer or not. Can't have both ways.
If you dig up the thread on that I imagine you'll find that PS4 players were celebrating that they didn't have to wait 30 days any more as has been the case for the last couple of CoDs. I have been on the receiving end of the 30 day wait twice now and it sucks. I don't wish it on anyone.

Mentok

Banned
The shittiest tactic/trend of the last few years regardless of platform. It hasn't once dictated my purchasing habits and all it does is punish those that are invested in your game.

+1. I've never really understood the appeal for this, it just seems like money that could've been better spent for MS and Sony.

Melchiah

I wouldve still bought it for the Xbox if DLC came out on PS4 first. Its an online game. Good luck playing this during all the PSN outages

People still believe this myth? There's been only one or two times when it was down, and I couldn't play Destiny. I know it was down during the holidays of 2014 as well, but it's not an issue for me as I'm never at home then.

Quazar

I'll be playing this on One but these exclusive deals on these types of games suck bad. I feel for everyone who gets blocked for that time.

People still believe this myth? There's been only one or two times when it was down, and I couldn't play Destiny. I know it was down during the holidays of 2014 as well, but it's not an issue for me as I'm never at home then.

Im not bothered about PSN downtime but a lot the friends I play with are in NA and my experience of playing online on PSN cross-region has been tragic to say the least which puts me off. Its fine for people I play with close to me (geographically speaking) though

Not that I really care about deals like this though, hopefully MS will use their money on other stuff in future

At least they have something now. Does Battlefield still get DLC first on PS4 or is that gone now? I don't mind stuff like this too much but the Destiny stuff was so dumb and still is.

Pjsprojects

Well this thread didn't take long to collapse into system wars bullshit. :(

Sadly true.
I'm going X1 with this even though PS4 or PC is an option. Couldn't tell any difference on consoles apart from the PC version which did look better, but if its anything like GTA the game will be a heaven for cheats.

Melchiah

Im not bothered about PSN downtime but a lot the friends I play with are in NA and my experience of playing online on PSN cross-region has been tragic to say the least which puts me off. Its fine for people I play with close to me (geographically speaking) though

Not that I really care about deals like this though, hopefully MS will use their money on other stuff in future

I played Destiny from release date to November 2014, then returned to it in October 2015 and continue to play it regularly, several times a week. During those periods, I remember there's been only a couple of occasions when I couldn't play the game. I dunno how it's abroad, but that's my experience here in Finland.

The Bloodborne online experience is something else though, but I don't think its problems are caused by PSN.

MrBS

I'd rather have it at the same time on PC but everyone else on PC will be in the same boat so I'll cope.

I'd still buy it on PS4 but my multi console gaming friends won't. I'm pretty sure Xbox One is where we'll be playing just because of this DLC deal.

hydruxo

I mean, I'll gladly take 30 days over Destiny's 1 year content exclusivity, but timed exclusive stuff sucks and I wish it didn't exist.

Yeah, I'm sure this will only sell 20 copies on X1.

Man, the passive-aggression in some of these posts.

It's a joke.

Ubisoft has come out and said that Xbox makes them more money, regardless of it having less players or not. Videogames are a business. MS paid them a hefty amount of cash and they gladly accepted it. In this case it's a lot better than with the Destiny year long exclusivity deal.

It's a joke.

Ubisoft has come out and said that Xbox makes them more money, regardless of it having less players or not. Videogames are a business. MS paid them a hefty amount of cash and they gladly accepted it. In this case it's a lot better than with the Destiny year long exclusivity deal.

I'm shocked at the lack of reading comprehension by people on here sometimes. Ubisoft said they make more per player on Xbox One compare to PS4. The extra revenue they are generating per Xbox player doesn't make up for the massive difference in install base. They make A LOT more money on PS4 than Xbox One. The chart I remember had XboxOne last behind PS4 and PC.

Zeta Oni

Wonder what the cause of that discussion change might have been....

I guess that means I am buying this on XBONE!

Pftttttttttttt who am i kidding!? Who would want it on xbone!! (other than if that's your only option or all your fwends have xbones!)

803929ecb9179dd8ac2864079d9224a6.jpg

Buying rights to have DLC first! Wonder if it will be a successful move!

Although at least it took 13 posts. A whole 13.

OT: Don't care much for early dlc like this, especially if it has something story related.

Silvard

It's still a shitty practice but at least it's better than what Destiny did and is doing.

I'd say the content held back in Destiny was pretty far from meaningless. Withholding strikes from a game that was starved for content was extremely shitty. Both scenarios are crappy, I just think Destiny did it worse.

The amount of content in total that was held back from Xbox One gamers could easily equal to that of any DLC drop. We're talking strikes, guns, multiplayer maps etc. It might not have any significance to the games story but it was still a lot content nevertheless.

People think this is worse than the Destiny exclusivity deal? Wow.

Destiny deal was a lot worse because you had Xbox one and PS4 players charged the same for DLC but PS4 players got extra content for the same price. That was terrible.

This is pretty much the reverse of the black ops 3 deal. Frankly I don't really care about waiting 30 days. It's no biggie. Just a bit of advertising fluff.

A lot better than the FULL YEAR of Destiny exclusive stuff that Sony BOUGHT.

I mean, I'll gladly take 30 days over Destiny's 1 year content exclusivity, but timed exclusive stuff sucks and I wish it didn't exist.

I give up. Either people who claim this aren't familiar with the depth and/or context of the Destiny exclusive stuff, or you're being deliberately disingenuous.

All exclusive content deals suck and really benefits no one on our side of the discussion (arguably not even the platform holders themselves, but if they still do it for a reason). But if we're going to be claiming which one is worse then we can't simply look at the exclusivity window, it's not the whole picture.

Destiny did not exclude anyone on any platform from doing story relevant content, new gameplay modes or end game activities (the only thing that matters by the time DLC hits) or anything even remotely important to the game. Not for a single second after it was first available. It didn't put you at risk of being spoiled any story developments, nor kept you from enjoying fundamentally new ways of playing the game. It didn't outright stop or even slow down your character progression.

What it did exclude Xbox players from were things that ranged from cosmetics (armor skins) to contextless garbage with no end game scalability or relevance (strikes). The things that hurt the most to get locked out from were a couple of exotic weapons which had a place in the meta, and multiplayer maps. It's not nice to get locked out of things. I'm not arguing otherwise. But compared to The Division I'd rather be locked out of the equivalent than the current DLC deal.

In The Division, every non-Xbox player (presumably, I don't know if the PC is included) will have to wait for all the content, no matter the extent at which it expands the game or impacts it's ongoing story. If you don't want to be spoiled it means avoiding discussion of DLC in the community, which, unlike a traditional single player game, is something a purely online game like The Division thrives by. It means being locked out of end game content (agan, the only thing that matters by the time the DLC is likely to hit) until your Xbox brethren has gone through it and potentially figured out and mastered, which, even if you avoid yourself, will affect your multiplayer experience.

The difference between this and Black Ops 3, which are under similar terms, and the reason why the former stings a bit more is that Black Ops 3 DLC tend to be contextless multiplayer maps and modes and guns. Unlike The Division, they are not supposed to add to an ongoing narrative or persistent end game progression as befits something closer to an MMO than a match based shooter. Which isn't to say that Black Ops 3 is less of a sucky situation, but clarifying that both games affect excluded players in a different way that is intimately related to the type of game they are.

I guess I didn't really give up :/

I guess I didn't really give up :/

I played Destiny from Day 1. Given how content starved that game was, yeah, not having an extra Strike to play really sucked.

I couldn't care less about the shitty story missions in Destiny. Strikes, Raids, and Crucible were the Y1 end-game content; Strikes were actually a pretty huge part of it.

Hikami

Basically. All my friends have PS4s and I don't know a single person with a XBone besides me. Nothing is a shittier bargain for gamers than a company paying to delay content for another group for 30 days. It's not early access for XBone owners, it's just a paid delay on PS4. Definitely one of the dumber trends in gaming to become widespread last gen.
Wish I was in that situation. All of my friends own an XB1 while I'm the only one with a PS4.

jaypah

It's a merry-go-round. MS buys content for CoD, fanboys bitch. Sony buys content for CoD, fanboys bitch. MS buys more content, fanboys bitch. Next time Sony buys content fanboys will bitch.

What I'm saying is for fanboys it will always be *platform* Too™ : The Thread.

Tovarisc

I played Destiny from Day 1. Given how content starved that game was, yeah, not having an extra Strike to play really sucked.

I couldn't care less about the shitty story missions in Destiny. Strikes, Raids, and Crucible were the Y1 end-game content; Strikes were actually a pretty huge part of it.

If it was up to me I would have gladly given those exclusive strikes and PvP maps to XBO players, if it meant I didn't need to play that garbage anymore. I take content drought over those afterthought strikes and maps :/ End game for Destiny didn't change with TTK, it's still all about farming raid, doing some strikes when feeling nutty and PvP when events roll by.

Reason why I pulled eject after completing last Raid Challenge as it was last bit of undone PvE content in whole game for me, getting out of that circle has felt great.

Silvard

We must have played a different Destiny then. Which I guess going by your opinion we did, because I played it on PS4. But I'll tell you this, the PS exclusive strikes were bland, boring, tedious and unrewarding. And even if I agreed that strikes were in any shape or form a "huge" part of Destiny's end game (I don't), the point is moot because exclusive strikes didn't scale to end game levels as they weren't part of the weekly/nightfall playlists which, arguably, were the only strike related modes that could potentially matter.

Regardless of what you personally feel about story mission, neither you nor anyone on an Xbox platform were locked out of them from day 1, and presumably The Division can do a better story than Destiny Year 1 (which isn't saying much). Raids, which were the pillar of end game content were also available day and date with PlayStation, as well the other strikes introduced with the DLC. Non-Xbox players won't even have that in The Division until the content is well trodden and explored. Especially among the community.

Top Bottom