• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division's DLC has 30-day timed exclusivity on Xbox One.

Arttemis

I wonder if this has anything to do with the PR spin earlier this week about the Xbox One being more profitable per customer vs. PS4 users.

I guess that means I am buying this on XBONE!

Pftttttttttttt who am i kidding!? Who would want it on xbone!! (other than if that's your only option or all your fwends have xbones!)

803929ecb9179dd8ac2864079d9224a6.jpg

Buying rights to have DLC first! Wonder if it will be a successful move!

I bought the gold edition on Xbox One for the same price the regular has on PS4, so... Me?

Calibos

Pftttttttttttt who am i kidding!? Who would want it on xbone!! (other than if that's your only option or all your fwends have xbones!)

Sometimes the way you say something is more important than what you are actually trying to say. Even your second comment seems like you want a good-ole Fanboy fight...

I am heading for New York City on the Xbox One and it has nothing to do with these annoying exclusivity deals. I have 8 or 9 very close friends who will be there and several of them, including me, own both consoles so there is that.

jelly

Such an odd practice. Publishers must have had oh wait you're serious when Sony and Microsoft initially signed up these things. Bags of money falling onto your lap.

Has this actually swayed anyone, like COD, Destiny etc. ?

Otnopolit

I think for a game like The Division where content is key to keeping players engaged, it may be more harmful to the other platforms than they realize. Can any COD or Destiny fans attest to this theory? Did DLC get delayed due to exclusivity and your interest in the game waned as you waited?

mcrommert

Banned
Sometimes the way you say something is more important than what you are actually trying to say. Even your second comment seems like you want a good-ole Fanboy fight...

I am heading for New York City on the Xbox One and it has nothing to do with these annoying exclusivity deals. I have 8 or 9 very close friends who will be there and several of them, including me, own both consoles so there is that.

Yep my reason for xbox one...also why i wish windows store would get the division so i could play on pc with xbox live friends

LOL

Please! I expect the majority of people to buy this on systems OTHER than xbox one just like nearly ALL of the multiplayer based games currently released. But oh its fanboyish to say that even though the console ownership and multiplayer concurrent player stats are out there.... All this does is delay the DLC for everyone else because microsoft paid. Hate this practice so much...

Idk... Sony got the map pack deal for a black Ops3 and every sales since the game released has it showing selling better in the xb1.

Every game does this now a days so it's nothing to get salty over.

Rembrandt

Banned
It's kind of funny to see any kind of positive spin for stuff like this after some of the threads after Black Ops 3 and Destiny PS4 DLC exclusivity was announced.

You're very translucent.

Why would anyone even have a xbone, am I right?

I guess it could be worse, doesn't bother me because I'll be playing it on XB1.

Example of it being worse:
365-day timed exclusivity on PS4 for Destiny content.

I'm still salty that I pay the same amount of money as PS4 Destiny owners but I receive the all the content a year later...

Tovarisc

I think for a game like The Division where content is key to keeping players engaged, it may be more harmful to the other platforms than they realize. Can any COD or Destiny fans attest to this theory? Did DLC get delayed due to exclusivity and your interest in the game waned as you waited?

Thing with Destiny is that 99.5% of expansion X was available for everyone on all platforms on same day and PS users got extra 0.5% / expansion for a year. 0.5% of content that was no where top tier when it came to gear and content like strikes... well... they aren't good imo.

Edit: I don't say timed exclusivity is good thing in any way and should die in fire, but content kept as PS exclusive is... lols in case of Destiny

Fallout 4's gunplay is several levels below Destiny / Halo when it comes to enjoyment and quality. It's better than in FO3 or NV, but I wouldn't put it to next games that are designed to be FPS's. Maybe TPS with cover mechanics just isn't your thing?

As someone who played countless hours of Destiny (the app says 18d, 11 hours, 52 minutes) I think I have a good grasp on what makes the shooting click for me. Fallout 4, while not a 1:1 copy, drew enough from it to make me (someone who hated FO3 and NV in terms of shooting mechanics) enjoy the combat.

As far as TPS go, there's good TPS (Gears) and bad TPS (The Division). One is fun and engaging, the other is boring.

The Division will live or die by its gameplay, and for me it isn't up to even last gen standards.

daman824

It was, but somehow or another people are utterly convinced that PSN is down 24/7 somewhere and never works.

Xbox Live goes down several times in a month (like it did in December 2015)? No big deal, it almost never happens.

PSN goes down in January for a couple hours after having been up for basically 6 months solid? We pay for this shit! Unacceptable! It's never up! Why doesn't Sony spent some of that PS+ $ on better infrastructure? etc etc etc
I'm not going to argue which was down more. But this is pretty funny. Only been a month and already "forgetting" how long psn was down in January. It wasn't down "a couple" hours. It was down for a little over ten hours

who_gives_a_shit.gif

After playing the Beta, I won't be touching this game. The shooting and basic gameplay are so boring. You can tell MS wants this to be their Destiny, but the stale shooting will turn people off fairly quickly, mark my words. RPG shooting be damned, even Bethesda realized copying Destiny's shooting for Fallout 4 was a good idea (while still retaining VATS however).

*Disclaimer- I own both consoles and have no intention of buying this game for either platform.

WTF.... I have never seen that comparison before and I can't agree with that at all. Fallout 4 fps gameplay is crap and yes I have played FO4.

THE Division beta imo was much more engaging and fun over FO4 because the gameplay imo sucks. THE division actually has pretty good tps gameplay. Sure not on GOW status but ...it felt as polished as uncharted to me.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Regardless of the short 30 day limitation, all timed dlc is bullshit.
I would like to see some statistics though if things like this does anything for Sony/MS at all. For me they are meaningless and unnecessary but do they have any effect for the companies? Also for Gamestop and the like with their "exclusive weapon" offers?
They still have those in the US it seems so there must be some value?

Tovarisc

As someone who played countless hours of Destiny (the app says 18d, 11 hours, 52 minutes) I think I have a good grasp on what makes the shooting click for me. Fallout 4, while not a 1:1 copy, drew enough from it to make me (someone who hated FO3 and NV in terms of shooting mechanics) enjoy the combat.

As far as TPS go, there's good TPS (Gears) and bad TPS (The Division). One is fun and engaging, the other is boring.

The Division will live or die by its gameplay, and for me it isn't up to even last gen standards.

Ouch... I have played "Makes up 5 weeks 3 hours 8 minutes 5 seconds" of Destiny according http://wastedondestiny.com/ :D That said I'm not saying shooting mechanics in FO4 are bad especially if compared to 3 and NV, but to me when put next to likes of Destiny or CoD then FO4's gunplay is just servicable. If shooting in FO4 was same as in FO3 I wouldn't have put that many hours in FO4 as I have now.

For me Gears is bad TPS experience because how rigid and slow it feels to play where Division is a lots more fun because movement feels a lot smoother and fluid. Best cover based TPS that I have played in quite some time. Different strokes for different people :b

adelante

LOL

Please! I expect the majority of people to buy this on systems OTHER than xbox one just like nearly ALL of the multiplayer based games currently released. But oh its fanboyish to say that even though the console ownership and multiplayer concurrent player stats are out there.... All this does is delay the DLC for everyone else because microsoft paid. Hate this practice so much...

May not be fanboyish but it's condescending towards those who actually have a legitimate reason for buying it on their platform of choice (glad you realized that and decided to edit in the "fwends have xbones" line yourself).

Ouch... I have played "Makes up 5 weeks 3 hours 8 minutes 5 seconds" of Destiny according http://wastedondestiny.com/ :D That said I'm not saying shooting mechanics in FO4 are bad especially if compared to 3 and NV, but to me when put next to likes of Destiny or CoD then FO4's gunplay is just servicable. If shooting in FO4 was same as in FO3 I wouldn't have put that many hours in FO4 as I have now.

For me Gears is bad TPS experience because how rigid and slow it feels to play where Division is a lots more fun because movement feels a lot smoother and fluid. Best cover based TPS that I have played in quite some time. Different strokes for different people :b

Fair enough, I wish I could be excited for The Division because the premise was interesting, but the gameplay for me was just...ugh. It felt much stiffer to me than Gears and the shooting just didn't feel as...dynamic I guess is the word.

T.O.P

Banned
As long as it doesn't lock other player out of the same content for like a year or forever it's ok for me

Already went Gold Ed. on PC anyway, and it seems like the game is gonna last much longer than a month for sure so it's all good

PS4 install base
Vs
Xbox install base

This deal won't help them.

The deal was originally announced at Gamescom 2013, it was made a long time ago and I'm pretty sure they announced DLC first there too, its only being detailed now because it took Ubisoft/Massive longer than anticipated to release the game

Silvard

Why the hell do people keep bringing up the Destiny thing as if this was better? This is much worse.

Sure, Destiny on PS4 (PS3?) had timed exclusivity on some content for up to a year, but it was basically a small handful of strikes, maps and weapons (and armor skins, but those barely count). And while Destiny already had a dearth of content which aggravated the circumstances, in the end they were far from major content and were separate from the progression of the game. The actual DLC as such was released day and date across all platforms.

On The Division it appears that all content drops, major or not, tied to the narrative or gameplay modes or not, will be delayed on non-Xbox platforms. That seems to be quite different and in my opinion much worse. Still won't prevent me from playing the game but I wouldn't compare it positively to Destiny's situation.

Tovarisc

It's still a shitty practice but at least it's better than what Destiny did and is doing.

It is not.

Holding minor and very meaningless content for a year [Destiny] Vs. Holding whole DLC packs containing more story, equipment etc. for a month [Division]

LTWood12

The comparison of this to Destiny's PS4 exclusive stuff is odd to me. These are full content packs we're talking about. All the Destiny content launches on both systems simultaneously. PS4 just gets an exclusive gun or two, plus a single strike exclusive for a year. XBOX players aren't having to wait a month to do the newest raid or anything like that. If you're saying this 'is better' then I'm guessing you don't play Destiny.

Like Sony did with Black Ops 3, or how they paid for exclusive rights to Destiny content for a YEAR, right?

Oh. Oh...

Timed exclusive content sucks for the consumer, no matter what console you own.

Reallink

Knowing Ubisoft, this is actually a blessing for PS4/PC. That's 30 extra days of people having to earn their loot/abilities, not just buy them with dollars.

The comparison of this to Destiny's PS4 exclusive stuff is odd to me. These are full content packs we're talking about. All the Destiny content launches on both systems simultaneously. PS4 just gets an exclusive gun or two, plus a single strike exclusive for a year. XBOX players aren't having to wait a month to do the newest raid or anything like that. If you're saying this 'is better' then I'm guessing you don't play Destiny.

Yep

I don't get the comparison.

Except Ubi said they are making more money off of Xbox than PS4? I guess that data doesnt matter?
The data actually shows the opposite.

It is not.

Holding minor and very meaningless content for a year [Destiny] Vs. Holding whole DLC packs containing more story, equipment etc. for a month [Division]

I'd say the content held back in Destiny was pretty far from meaningless. Withholding strikes from a game that was starved for content was extremely shitty. Both scenarios are crappy, I just think Destiny did it worse.

wow.

just. wow.

sony and ms both do this. black ops 3 did it. Destiny had exclusive DLC for a year. take the blinders off buddy.

Ralemont

not me
I don't have the energy to get insulted by this anymore. I don't really count that as a win for MS or Sony, though, because I also give zero shits when something exclusive or timed comes to my system.

El_Chino

Why the hell do people keep bringing up the Destiny thing as if this was better? This is much worse.

Sure, Destiny on PS4 (PS3?) had timed exclusivity on some content for up to a year, but it was basically a small handful of strikes, maps and weapons (and armor skins, but those barely count). And while Destiny already had a dearth of content which aggravated the circumstances, in the end they were far from major content and were separate from the progression of the game. The actual DLC as such was released day and date across all platforms.

On The Division it appears that all content drops, major or not, tied to the narrative or gameplay modes or not, will be delayed on non-Xbox platforms. That seems to be quite different and in my opinion much worse. Still won't prevent me from playing the game but I wouldn't compare it positively to Destiny's situation.
The amount of content in total that was held back from Xbox One gamers could easily equal to that of any DLC drop. We're talking strikes, guns, multiplayer maps etc. It might not have any significance to the games story but it was still a lot content nevertheless.

Meh I don't really care either way. I'm still going to end up getting it for PS4.

Black Ops 3 has a partnership with Sony yet the game has sold more on Xbox One.

I'd say the content held back in Destiny was pretty far from meaningless. Withholding strikes from a game that was starved for content was extremely shitty. Both scenarios are crappy, I just think Destiny did it worse.

Why though? Deating didn't hold back any end game content just weapons and meaningless strikes which didn't reward anything.

The Divison is actually going to be holding back actually story content and end game content if we are reading it correctly. NOTHING from the exclusive Destiny deal effected your end game content while the divisions deal might.

Haruko

Agreed. And at least as far as non-season pass DLC purchases go, Destiny was taking the same amount of $ from Xbone players and giving them only 1 of the 2 included strikes, etc., until the 1 year passes.

30 day exclusivity is mildly annoying, but Destiny's method was one of the reasons I gave up on the game before TTK released

The amount of content in total that was held back from Xbox One gamers could easily equal to that of any DLC drop. We're talking strikes, guns, multiplayer maps etc. It might not have any significance to the games story but it was still a lot content nevertheless.

Right. In a game that many already felt lacked in substantial and varied content, the exclusivity of strikes, maps, and certain weapons was sort of becomes an issue. And it wasn't just for 30 days, it was the entire year, and this is still going on with The Taken King content including one of the new strikes. And that's not even considering the pricing, in which Xbox One players were charged the same price, but won't have access to that content until far later in the future.

Destiny deal was a lot worse because you had Xbox one and PS4 players charged the same for DLC but PS4 players got extra content for the same price. That was terrible.

This is pretty much the reverse of the black ops 3 deal. Frankly I don't really care about waiting 30 days. It's no biggie. Just a bit of advertising fluff.

Meh I don't really care either way. I'm still going to end up getting it for PS4.

Black Ops 3 has a partnership with Sony yet the game has sold more on Xbox One.

No it didn't. It is gonna be hard for any game to sell more on Xbox when it is being outsold almost 2:1. If you are referring to NPD(US only) that doesn't include software in bundles.

Top Bottom