• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

Volimar

Well, I scraped the money together, went over to gamestop, picked up a code, put it in, and redeemed it for....

Minecraft. My nephew's Christmas present. It was a lot harder to not grab dragonborn than I thought it'd be. I don't know if I should try to keep as much of a mystery as possible, or if I should just stop torturing myself and look for a youtube playthrough and spoil myself on all the goodies.

Ermahgerd!

oUEV7.jpg

So fucking hype!

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Gotta admit, it's much smaller than I thought it would be (that's what she said har har).
Isn't the entire Morrowind less than a gig? Elder Scroll games are pretty small because of they way the utilize assets and AI behavior.

Biggzy

Gotta admit, it's much smaller than I thought it would be (that's what she said har har).

It's actually not that surprising. Skyrim comes in at 3.8 GB, and since it will be reusing a lot of assets there is no reason for it to be a large download.

edgefusion

It's actually not that surprising. Skyrim comes in at 3.8 GB, and since it will be reusing a lot of assets there is no reason for it to be a large download.

Wow, really? That's quite impressive. My PS3 save file is bigger than all of Skyrim!
That was a joke.

Could people post impressions specifically if spears are really arrows in the players inventory and are dragons just an on rails thing.

Only did enough to arrive at Solstheim and speak to a few NPCs, check out new smithing options (wish there were Nordic light armour options) and have a quick look at the map before heading to bed. Looks like this could be some really awesome DLC, here's hoping it delivers.

Time to play.

Could people post impressions specifically if spears are really arrows in the players inventory and are dragons just an on rails thing.

I'll let you know once I find out.

Okay, impressions will go here:

- Huh, the Skyrim map looks different, too. Has a "curved" look to it, like the world is round. You can also see parts of Morrowind and Hammerfell.
- Game reset to Apprentice difficulty for some reason. And yet, when an Ancient Dragon attacked my level 53 character, I still nearly got my face burnt off.

Woorloog

Banned
Time to play.

EDIT: Huh, the map in-game already looks different. Has a "curved" look to it, like the world is round. You can also see parts of Morrowind and Hammerfell.

Hmm. Could it be?

I reckon it is just cruelty though.

Hmm. Could it be?

I reckon it is just cruelty though.

Or it may just've been a bug. It's been a while since I played: I'd forgotten the map is normally covered with lots of clouds. Those clouds weren't there when I opened the map up first. They are now, though.

Shame. Map really looks a lot better without them.

Lakitu

st5fu
So I got to Raven Rock, went to sleep and
when I came to be I was at the Temple of Miraak. Really didn't want to hit the MQ so soon.

Woorloog

Banned
Or it may just've been a bug. It's been a while since I played: I'd forgotten the map is normally covered with lots of clouds. Those clouds weren't there when I opened the map up first. They are now, though.

Ah. But curved? Don't think it is normally. Probably to accommodate Solstheim? (Is the whole Solstheim playable area or what?)

Ah. But curved? Don't think it is normally. Probably to accommodate Solstheim? (Is the whole Solstheim playable area or what?)

It appeared curved because the clouds were gone. It's a cool effect, the way fog fell over the map made it look curved.

Just got attacked by some Cultists. Let's see where this leads me.

curlycare

Huh, the Skyrim map looks different, too. Has a "curved" look to it, like the world is round. You can also see parts of Morrowind and Hammerfell.
Have you seen those warriors from Hammerfell?

It's hard not to spoil the story for myself. Must see some gameplay..

Woorloog

Banned
Sigh... I really want to play Skyrim again but i can't deal with the broken gameplay anymore. Half of the perks are worthless, spells are worthless (as they don't scale), stealth is too easy... And no mods on 360.
And if Skyrim will ever have a PC ultimate edition, it will be late next year earliest...

Hmm. I do have Morrowind installed, guess i'll stick with it for now. I just fear i get stuck playing MW for a long time if i start now :/
EDIT dammit, TR has been patched. Have to download it and re-do my modlist, re-create merger plugins and stuff... sigh.

ironcreed

Banned
Xbox360achievements review - 9.0

"Don’t think this is a tiny little island either, oh no, in fact, it’s damn pretty huge. With mountains, ash-ridden shores from a nearby volcano, huge waterfalls and white water rapids, the town of Raven Rock, the village of Skaal, the wonderful mushroom village of Tel Mithryn, brand new dungeons, forts, and much more, Solstheim is a mini version of Skyrim and a new piece of picturesque beauty to explore and sink your teeth in to."

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...Elder-Scrolls-V--Skyrim’s-Dragonborn-DLC.html

Sounds pretty amazing. I bought it this morning, but don't know when I will get to it because I am going to be starting Far Cry 3 today. Sure am looking forward to it, though.

Eidan

Without getting too spoilery, what's the general consensus on which side of the Dawnguard storyline is more interesting: vampire or Dawnguard?

Without getting too spoilery, what's the general consensus on which side of the Dawnguard storyline is more interesting: vampire or Dawnguard?

I love the Dawnguard side. But that's all I've ever done. I'm thinking of creating a character specifically for the Volkihar...

Time to play.

Okay, impressions will go here:

- Huh, the Skyrim map looks different, too. Has a "curved" look to it, like the world is round. You can also see parts of Morrowind and Hammerfell.
- Game reset to Apprentice difficulty for some reason. And yet, when an Ancient Dragon attacked my level 53 character, I still nearly got my face burnt off.

BN, you still playing both the PC and 360?

EDIT: I've sort of made my peace... I'll continue playing the 360 and just buy game of the year for PC when/if that comes out. I'll start downloading this and roll a new play through. It's kind of insane to think I've logged over 650 hours on this game with two play-throughs.

Dyno

My character joined the Imperials. If I do enough quests for them will they ever offer me a place of my own?

BN, you still playing both the PC and 360?

EDIT: I've sort of made my peace... I'll continue playing the 360 and just buy game of the year for PC when/if that comes out. I'll start downloading this and roll a new play through. It's kind of insane to think I've logged over 650 hours on this game with two play-throughs.

Only played the 360 'till now. Once the PC GOTY is out, I'll get that. Should have a PC capable of running this by then.

Also: not exactly the best screenshot, but I loved the look.

dd7Q5l.jpg

EDIT: Huh,
Solstheim's shoreline has waves.

Seanspeed

Banned
"Don’t think this is a tiny little island either, oh no, in fact, it’s damn pretty huge. With mountains, ash-ridden shores from a nearby volcano, huge waterfalls and white water rapids, the town of Raven Rock, the village of Skaal, the wonderful mushroom village of Tel Mithryn, brand new dungeons, forts, and much more, Solstheim is a mini version of Skyrim and a new piece of picturesque beauty to explore and sink your teeth in to."
Nice.

Woorloog

Banned
Bethesda forums say no spears as usable weapons. Instead they're arrows. wat.

*Sigh*
It seems i'll have to become a game dev and create a proper successor to Morrowind since no one else is doing that, character's skill-based combat, wide variety of weapons, real feeling yet alien world...

EDIT: Huh,
Solstheim's shoreline has waves.

I was just perusing the Bethesda forums for impressions and somebody mentioned that they've implemented flow based water with Dragonborn. Which, as I recall, was another thing they had in that Gamejam video.

Edit: Actually going back and watching that Gamejam video, they've already implemented quite a few of those features post release. Good job Bethesda!

I was just perusing the Bethesda forums for impressions and somebody mentioned that they've implemented flow based water with Dragonborn. Which, as I recall, was another thing they had in that Gamejam video.

Edit: Actually going back and watching that Gamejam video, they've already implemented quite a few of those features post release. Good job Bethesda!

I wouldn't call it that: the water still goes through the ground. They just added an extra layer on top to simulate the waves, kinda like how they did with waterfalls in the original game.

GhaleonEB

Cleaned up my save files, so the only five left are the five from my prior characters. Total playtime across them: 516 hours. Good lord.

I fucking love this game.

Onto Solstheim in about two hours, after I knock some work off. Download is complete.

angelfly

I totally forgot about this. I think I'll pick up Dawnguard along with it since it's been a while since I've jumped into Skyrim.

Top Bottom