• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fighting Game Noob Thread: From Scrub to Master

Okay Naka. I'm going to make a PS4 group for us.

And for another page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ1iwkbhlYs&list=PL45-KVgrSkf4X981AoUKPlz34VNnJFhYp
How to Play Street Fighter: You All Know How To Play (5.1.1)
"First Attack S5 Ep1, 2016 02-26: In which James Chen explains some basic theories of how to understand and play fighting games like Street Fighter V."

Also I didn't see this posted anywhere. It's pretty fantastic so far.

Holy shit. Chen is genius. He's teaching fighting games by using non-fighting game examples.

GUYS. WATCH THAT PLAYLIST.

I haven't really played a fighting game in over a decade at this point. The new KOF kind of interests me, so I'd like to get that and at least become semi-competent so I can enjoy some casual online fun.

I have a Xbox pad I'm using for PC. I don't really plan on investing in an actual arcade stick. Trying to refresh myself with KOF98 but I'm having genuine problems just pulling off special moves with it. Doing Z motions with either the analog or D-pad seems pretty much impossible.
Older fighting games have stricter input requirements than the more recent ones, so that could be the source behind your issues. Try practicing with a comparatively newer game first and see if you notice a difference.

Here are a handful of ranked matches in the order I played them from top to bottom.
I've always played fighting games for fun but now I'm actually trying to learn how to be better at them and SFV in particular. So in a sense I am new. I welcome all criticism.
CFN: Sammasati

Ryu vs Nash https://youtu.be/RtCY7kV4bIU
Ryu Mirror https://youtu.be/uj7MSo_mN2c
Necalli vs Ryu https://youtu.be/IK7AWuTu6uM
Ryu Mirror 2 https://youtu.be/TVKZAUlyvXo
Ken vs Ryu https://youtu.be/AHN6l9o2nbc
Ryu vs Ken https://youtu.be/qNnTMfez508
I've only watched vs Nash, Necalli and the first Ken.

- Be mindful of your positioning when you use fireballs. Regularly you were too close to your opponent (promptly eating jump-ins) or too far.
- Nash is a good example why "too far" can be problematic. You gave him plenty of time to counter-act with his V-Skill and thus gain meter for an earlier V-Trigger.
- A distinct lack of anti-airs. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Shoryuken all the time; grounded normal or air-to-airs work too.
- The way you move about is a little rudimentary at times. Not really going forwards and backwards to play around with various ranges, and you jumped towards someone a lot to be in reach.
- During the Necalli and Ken match you dashed more often however, so that was an improvement.
- Need to work on your punishes. Nash's Sonic Scythes for example went largely untouched, or you attempted a grab when he was open to higher damage.
- The way you responded to Necalli's uppercut further highlights this: passing up on a free Crush Counter when you did block it.
- Too many raw overheads. Since it's slow, gets beaten by trigger happy opponents, so better served if you've successfully put someone on the defensive.
- In those three matches, virtually no threat of cross-ups from your end as well.

I got bodied pretty badly in some matches, can someone provide some feedback on my play? Thanks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqwSWL82V7M
- Anti-airs need work.
- Refrain from jumping as much in the neutral. Given the speed on Ryu's, dashing can act as a more valid alternative if the opponent exercises caution.
- By extension, neutral jumping can be fine too in the right circumstances. Never seen you really do that to dodge Hadokens or Birdie's leap grabs for instance.
- Your defense needs to stay more composed. Those close-range chain grabs from Birdie are ill-advised because how unsafe it is, but they worked anyways.
- The Dhalsim tore you apart too with how you were likely to press buttons.
- Regarding that match-up: read through these posts (#1 and #2) for a more concrete gameplan.

Question about Training Mode - Record and playback function:

Is there a way, during dummy playback, to turn off the giant play symbol with the recording number in it?

I'm try to set up 5 options to make me adapt instead of anticipate, but out of my perephrial vision I'm seeing the number and remembering what I recorded in that slot before it happens. For instance, I'll try Anti-Air training by setting the dummy recordings to 1) jump in, 2) one punch and jump in, 3) two punches and jump in, and 4) two punches neutral jump. I'm seeing the number (3) before the action happens and thinking "oh, that was two punches then jump in".

I'd like to turn the number off so I stop "accidentally" seeing what recording is playing.
No option to disable right now. Your best band-aid 'solution' is to slap a sticky note on your screen.

Any guides for Karin? I haven't put enough practice because of school. I also may want learn other characters, maybe Laura, R-Mika, Ken, Chun-li, etc.
Keep an eye out for the Official Character Guides. They already covered Ken and Chun-Li among others, with the rest still to follow.

Have one of those for Cammy? :p

Anyway, what's the best way to learn match ups? I think I have most of the basics down, at least in theory, but I think most of my losses are from not knowing what to do in specific situations or when it's safe to press buttons against someone
Re-reply, but Dahbomb jotted down some Cammy notes in the Community thread that might prove worthwhile.

Amazing post Crab Milk.

Lowkey i've been thinking of using Sim because his animations look really good in this game. I feel like in SF4 as Sim you were fighting for your life but in 5 it's like Sim strikes back lol
For sure. Dhalsim can still easily end up in a dicey predicament if you don't have enough experience or lack general know-how with him, but as you mentioned this time around he actually has a mean bite. Damage adds up real quickly in between his gimmicks, the white health mechanic as well as the generally higher damage / stun values compared to IV. He feels way more at home now in V and his kinetic nature is refreshing.

Just had my first Sfv match. I like the look of Rashid so that's who I'm gonna go with. I have never really played a street fighter before.

I spent 10 mins the training room first and decided I would try get a couple of attacks down. What I was aiming for was (and please don't shout at me for not using the correct terms, I will learn them ok, give me time, stop shaking your head, stop yelling at me.)

Crouch R1, towards triangle square, down toward R1. I didn't manage to pull it all off.
Is there any really basic 2/3 hit combos for Rashid?

Anyway please check this out and give feedback.
I already expect people to say "stop fucking jumping"

http://youtu.be/-jAsu87jXME
- Your defense is a massive weakness; you ate 99% of Ken's attacks. Watch this for a fundamental understanding of it.
- As you pointed out yourself, you did jump too much.
- You hardly utilized Rashid's tools. For example, he has several ways around fireballs via his V-Skill, his roll, his wall jump or his own projectile.
- Here's a (very) basic introduction to his abilities, with a more fleshed out guide soon to follow on the official Street Fighter YouTube.

Reposting here since I suppose this is a better place to ask such questions.

Specifically, I've been having problems dealing with when to block, when to press buttons, when to try and tech throws and when to try an avoid an incoming command grab when I'm waking up.

Try to work on one at a time. If you work on all of them at once, you'll get overwhelmed. Work on defense first and foremost so you're not put in a position where you're knocked down so easily. When people are attacking in strings, DON'T TRY TO BEAT THEM during it. Keep blocking and when their turn is over, try to turn the tide. One trick I've learned to stop pressing buttons is when I'm hit with a combo and I see it say counter, and I'm being hit, that tells me I'm pressing too many buttons and I should just cool it and block. If you see one counter, don't hit more buttons or you'll be in more trouble.

Throw teching is an art and I suck at it.I have little advice on it beyond just keep practicing and keep playing.

Try to work on one at a time. If you work on all of them at once, you'll get overwhelmed. Work on defense first and foremost so you're not put in a position where you're knocked down so easily. When people are attacking in strings, DON'T TRY TO BEAT THEM during it. Keep blocking and when their turn is over, try to turn the tide. One trick I've learned to stop pressing buttons is when I'm hit with a combo and I see it say counter, and I'm being hit, that tells me I'm pressing too many buttons and I should just cool it and block. If you see one counter, don't hit more buttons or you'll be in more trouble.

Throw teching is an art. I have little advice on it beyond just keep practicing and keep playing.

Thanks, that was the exact problem that I've been having that I sometimes get countered by moves because I tried pressing a button in the middle of their attacks, happens dangerously often during necalli's mk xx stomp.

Appreciate the advice.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Another note, are you riding the gate when using a square gate? I feel like a lot of people who want to switch to octagon just ride the gate too much, and haven't learned to be more precise with their movements.

But it's personal preference of course. I prefer no octagon gate because it's easier to use charge characters, and I feel like once I learned not to ride the gate on a square gate, my inputs were much more precise.

In definitely a gate rider for qfc moves. I don't have much issues with Chun Ali's charge moves on octogon.

I'm probably going to switch to Ryu for a while and work through Gootecks training stuff to learn the game more. Chun is fun, but she's pretty fragile and doesn't do a lot of damage unless you can get some pretty hard combos down.

FSLink

Banned
Holy shit. Chen is genius. He's teaching fighting games by using non-fighting game examples.

GUYS. WATCH THAT PLAYLIST.

Definitely. I think the Zelda example was one of the most clear explanations for footsies I've ever seen. Haven't finished the whole playlist yet, but man, James Chen is fucking awesome.

Definitely. I think the Zelda example was one of the most clear explanations for footsies I've ever seen. Haven't finished the whole playlist yet, but man, James Chen is fucking awesome.

The Link to the Past example IS the best example of footsies I have ever seen and that as game players we already know this. WOW.

ShinMaruku

I feel James is going too hard to make fgs blow up, but his examples are the right way to do so by using other games that stagger out the vocabulary, fighting games outside of it's acolytes fails to stagger it out.

- Your defense is a massive weakness; you ate 99% of Ken's attacks. Watch this for a fundamental understanding of it.
- As you pointed out yourself, you did jump too much.
- You hardly utilized Rashid's tools. For example, he has several ways around fireballs via his V-Skill, his roll, his wall jump or his own projectile.
- Here's a (very) basic introduction to his abilities, with a more fleshed out guide soon to follow on the official Street Fighter YouTube.

Thanks so much. Will watch them now.

I just had my first win after 12 straight defeats. Feels good.
Dunno if I have improved or the other guy was just a bit shit. I feel like I defended better.
Felt so good to win.

http://youtu.be/1TOYLX8Ehm0

when to try and tech throws and when to try an avoid an incoming command grab when I'm waking up.

Throw teching is an art and I suck at it.I have little advice on it beyond just keep practicing and keep playing.

There's a specific technique I use to take the guessing game out of throws/teching throws.
Take the gif below as an example of the typical throws people perform in matches. They usually start a string. Since you're conditioned to try and block said string, they will just walk up to you and throw you while you're fully dedicated on blocking their combo game.

c4GeVQyDTXiiA.gif

Here it is in slow motion:

P5ilQuBgGW6R2.gif

Using the same example, the secret is to block and press your throw buttons simultaneously with your opponents attack. (See gif below as an example)
If you pay attention to the input on the left side of the screen, you'll see that I'm not only blocking, but I'm also hitting the throw button with each hit Ken is landing.
If your timing is right, your block should have a higher priority over your throw.

12BYQF9u3lmeeA.gif

Here's the same thing in slowmotion and some visual aid:

HtdsSevhRb5yo.gif

Its like an option select but without the option to select.
You might need some practice with the timing but once you get it down, you'll get thrown much less frequently.
I hope this helped out.

ohkay

You might need some practice with the timing but once you get it down, you'll get thrown much less frequently.
I hope this helped out.
Couldn't this be baited by your opponent too by walking back insteadof throwing, causing you to throw, giving your opponent an opening?

Thanks so much. Will watch them now.

I just had my first win after 12 straight defeats. Feels good.
Dunno if I have improved or the other guy was just a bit shit. I feel like I defended better.
Felt so good to win.

http://youtu.be/1TOYLX8Ehm0

Try not to use that heavy version of your tornado too much. Try to limit it to only punishing mistakes. I'm not knowledgeable about Rashid's moveset, but that whiffed tatsu that Ryu threw out could have been a good time to use it, probably.

Throwing that move out concedes you precious screen space, but you're also setting yourself up to be wide open. Try to limit that move more. Sometimes heavy is too much. Try experimenting with the other versions. Yes, they're not as strong as a heavy version, but a light is quick and medium has damage and doesn't leave as quite open. Experiment, but remember to not overuse or else you're setting yourself up for a loss.

Couldn't this be baited by your opponent too by walking back insteadof throwing, causing you to throw, giving your opponent an opening?

Only if you're mashing throw randomly. At which point your opponent doesn't even need to move back. You'll probably get jabbed when you're not in sync with his attack.
Your supposed to hit it simultaneously with your opponents hit, not before, not after. If the opponent can't string their combo, its a high probability that you'll get the throw. Otherwise, if they string the combo just fine, and decide to cut it for the throw instead, you can easily see the forward walk animation and react with the button just as easily as you can see the backward walk animation and not react. That's why timing is important.

Also, let's say your timing isn't perfect, how many times would you have needed to tech a throw before your opponent realizes your strategy? and how many times would they need to to move back then forward before you're on to them?

I haven't mastered it myself, but personally, I have a much higher success rate of teching throws using this strategy than I ever did leaving it up to chance.

I know it might be a little bad form to quote myself, but I would like to have at least the Ken match of the three videos I shared last page looked at to see if my own analysis of that match is accurate. I'm red Karin, of course. (Though I've been eyeing the purple color, but... Survival Mode. Ew.)

I have a few videos to share, although I'm sorry to say, I don't have that many teachable losses in stock this time. Which means I'm doing something right, and I want to be sure that I'm understanding this. Also, might need to be sure if it was me winning or my opponents defeating themselves. But before that, the loss that sent me to the lab for several days. As usual, I'm the red Karin.

Battle Lounge: Ryu (W) vs Karin
A fight with fellow Gaffer Acerac, whose Ryu is scarily on point at times, especially at 1:00 in that one. I'm sharing this mostly as a "Before" video, but do feel free to comment on the Ryu player, too, though.

I was just unhappy with that match, and the ones preceding it as a whole. I got beat, and badly. I was considering dropping Karin at that point, but I took her to the lab to learn "something simple" to boost her attack power. A few days in the lab later and it was Ranked time. A couple of examples from that.

Ranked: Karin (W) vs Necalli
I am not entirely sure of Necalli yet, other than he has a charge attack that comes out scary fast, so if he backs up, I block. And then he never used it, figures. Also, Necalli's super is a HIT, despite looking like a grab. I need to learn whose supers have to be blocked and whose have to be jumped. Necalli's is not to be jumped. Overall, though, this is the result of the lab work and coming up with a plan. It's not a great plan, but it is a plan. But that final Crush Counter to qcb+HK detail? That's a Training Mode nugget. I practiced that, and it paid off.

Ranked: Karin (W) vs Ken
I have a Ken problem, and on a double win streak, this was just about the worst I could see, other than Vega, on the opposite side of the VS screen. This was a very swingy match, the second round in particular is hugely sloppy on my part. I was trying to land another training mode combo, but failing spectacularly. I found out Ressenha is Super-cancellable, you see... And I paid for it with my entire EX meter and a lost round. Smooth.

The final round, though. On rewatch, I can barely believe that's me playing. I walk him to the corner, I keep him in the corner, I get a dizzy and I win. Few gimmicks, nothing fancy. Push, punish, control screen position. As I see it, I need to look long and hard at that final round versus Ken there. That's what I want. That's easily within my ability to do again. Of course, he did help by not exploiting the knockdown he got to just flee from the corner, but still. I got him here and kept him there.

I still Ressenha and jump too much, though. And I need to get Karin's launcher into the mix for huge corner damage. Tenko, qcb+LK, qcb+PP should be within my ability at this point. Something to work on. But that whole "Stay at exactly not st. MK range and pressure them backwards" plan is a keeper. I can add fancier stuff to it, of course, but it works. I am also beginning to understand the uses of the V-Trigger activation itself. I may have something cooking that I need to play with, but... I think I might be able to cancel st. MK with it and have a good +15 frames to work with. Lots of nasty stuff can happen in 15 frames, which are preceded by a second of pause to do inputs. I don't even care all that much about Guren-ken at this point, it's unsafe and predictable. But I do want to know if st. MK xx HP+HK, Super is a thing or not. Because considering how often I land one of those, this would be awesome.​

I rewatched other fights that I won, and I did notice a pattern. In most of the rounds I win, the opponent is in the corner. I didn't think about that, but in hindsight, it's so obvious. With Karin's speed and pokes, if she gets you cornered, your options are very limited unless you have a teleport or is willing to burn meter on something invincible.

But could someone confirm/deny that line of thinking? The vs. Ken video is the important one of the three.
Late with my reply, but here you go:

- Opening with something like Rassenha on the first round is a bad habit; usually an option to consider in later rounds when picking up on player habits.
- Neutral jump over fireballs from the opposite end of the screen to avoid chip damage if keen on waiting it out.
- Not really pressing forward much with Karin's movement speed. Gives you more offensive / defensive flexibility than approaching with a special move.
- Need to finetune your spacing on standing / crouching MK. Rather close most of the time, with other buttons being more apt when nearby.
- Subsequently, sweep usage being at near point-blank will also be problematic against better players. Needs to be more like 1:10 or 1:19.
- Too much Rassenha in general indeed, like you already pointed out. You were being quite transparent with it.
- Need to block more when someone is on the offense. The Necalli for example would've left himself wide open quite frequently if you did.
- In the same match, you also kind of 'spammed' Karin's standing fierce kick, like three in succession twice. She ought to get better follow-ups on Crush Counters than that.
- Resorting to anti-airing and cross-ups needs to be on your to-do list as well.

Outside of that you've been correct with your own observations critiquing your own play as well why controlling screen space is important, as Wallach already elaborated upon.

I hope this helped out.
Wow this is great stuff. Can't believe I never thought of that, it's surprisingly simple. Thanks!

Josh5890

I have playing exclusively as Ryu the entire time. I feel like my game is getting better with him. However, I have played more matches against Ryu than any other character and I can't seem to be able to beat my own guy. Not sure why.

I think I might branch out in a day or two and start another character. What would anyone recommend to a Ryu player?

Sayad

It could, another counter to this tech is doing a delayed attack, preferably a crush counter, to stuff the throw tech attempt. You will see this happening a lot in high level play. And you counter opponent doing nothing or baiting a throw tech by just blocking or doing a fast attack, which is basically going back a full circle. :D

I hope this helped out.
Delayed throw tech is an option select since you're selecting between blocking and throw tech using the same input.

McNum

Late with my reply, but here you go:

- Opening with something like Rassenha on the first round is a bad habit; usually an option to consider in later rounds when picking up on player habits.
- Neutral jump over fireballs from the opposite end of the screen to avoid chip damage if keen on waiting it out.
- Not really pressing forward much with Karin's movement speed. Gives you more offensive / defensive flexibility than approaching with a special move.
- Need to finetune your spacing on standing / crouching MK. Rather close most of the time, with other buttons being more apt when nearby.
- Subsequently, sweep usage being at near point-blank will also be problematic against better players. Needs to be more like 1:10 or 1:19.
- Too much Rassenha in general indeed, like you already pointed out. You were being quite transparent with it.
- Need to block more when someone is on the offense. The Necalli for example would've left himself wide open quite frequently if you did.
- In the same match, you also kind of 'spammed' Karin's standing fierce kick, like three in succession twice. She ought to get better follow-ups on Crush Counters than that.
- Resorting to anti-airing and cross-ups needs to be on your to-do list as well.

Outside of that you've been correct with your own observations critiquing your own play as well why controlling screen space is important, as Wallach already elaborated upon.
Thanks for the tips. About the Ressenha opening, I had a Karin mirror that I lost badly, but guess how Round 2 started? We both did it. Collided mid-air. It was funny. I have a new idea for a opening that I'll be using more, though. "Take one step forward, then block." Basically trying to get the opponent to try something. Honestly, I'm thinking I should take the start of round thing with a chess approach. Can't afford to think too much, so I need some go-to opening gambits.

I think, though, if there's one thing I need to work on, it's staying near the opponent. Karin doesn't have anything awesome at full screen. She should hate fullscreen almost as much as being in the corner. If the opponent wants to be fullscreen, I should approach and get him cornered for it. If there's one thing I should consciously try to do the next fights it's walk more. don't jump, and certainly don't Ressenha unless countering a fireball from 1/2 to 3/4 screen range.

And yes, she does have better followups to a Crush Counter. I'm still working on it. So far, qcb+HK, like the final blow on Necalli, seems to be my go-to option. Easy and okay damage. Could be worse. I just need to do it more.

I wish I had been able to play more this weekend, been tired. Does any of you have tips for days when you just don't feel like Street Fighter, but don't want to get rusty?

SlimXx

Can anyone explain frame advantage for me?

Short answer:

If your attack puts your opponent into hit/block stun for longer than it takes to recover, you are at frame advantage. If it takes longer for your attack to recover than it does for the opponent to finish reeling/blocking, you are at frame disadvantage.

Long answer:

Every attack, no matter what type, has a specific number of frames that it takes to start up before it actually can hit, a specific number of frames in which it is active and will hit, and a specific number of frames in which it is recovering and your character cannot take any new action (provided you don't cancel it into a special attack).

Any time an attack connects with the opponent, either hit or blocked, it temporarily puts the opponent into a state in which they cannot take any sort of action (other than V Reversal, in the case of SF5). This state is commonly referred to as either "hit stun" or "block stun." How long the opponent is stuck in this stunned state is also specific to each attack.

If you connect with an attack that leaves the opponent in hit stun or block stun for more frames than it takes for your attack to completely recover, you are at "frame advantage." If it takes longer for your attack to recover than it does for your opponent to come out of hit stun or block stun, then you are at "frame disadvantage." In frame data lists, you will see this indicated by a number such as +2 or -2 depending on if you are advantaged or disadvantaged.

For example, Birdie's standing weak kick is +6 on hit and +3 on block. If the attack hits, you are at such a large frame advantage that any attack you use immediately after will combo, as long as it takes no more than 6 frames to start (his 5 frame startup standing weak punch, for instance).

If the standing WK is blocked, the standing WP will not keep the opponent locked into block stun, because of the 2 frames of time between the block stun ending and the end of the 5 frame WP startup. However, since the fastest normal attacks in the game take 3 frames to start up, any attempt by the opponent to press a normal attack between Birdie's standing WK and his standing WP will be counter hit by his WP. This scenario is commonly referred to as a "frame trap."

Even if you aren't trying to link attacks together, being at frame advantage allows you to input any kind of action before your opponent can do anything other than finish reeling/blocking. You can use this time to walk forward or backward for throw attempts/antics, jump for a cross up, etc.

Any tips on karin. I always have problem against this character. Her moves are "deceptively" +. what seems punishable is safe and i eat counter hit damage.

Really need to read up on this thread. Playing SFV as my first real fighting game. I've been getting better the more I play which is good. I won the majority of my matches tonight.

My biggest problems are mashing and not having a solid offense. My defense and spacing are picking up but I really need to work on getting in and out and keeping the opponent guessing.

I'm so excited to finally open myself up to this genre and to hopefully put up a good fight.

Xhorder

Really need to read up on this thread. Playing SFV as my first real fighting game. I've been getting better the more I play which is good. I won the majority of my matches tonight.

My biggest problems are mashing and not having a solid offense. My defense and spacing are picking up but I really need to work on getting in and out and keeping the opponent guessing.

Yeah same here. I'm doing quite well and this week I've won quite a lot of matches. Lot's of casual, but also a bunch of ranked matches, which make me a bit more nervous most of the time.

This weekend I started to work on my offence and incorporated a basic target combo and cross-ups in online matches. So far it has proven to be quite a success. Nothing fancy, not always successful, but surprisingly quite effective a lot of the time. I just love to have the opponent guess wrong what I'll do when they wake up. And then when they might think to know what I'll do, I just change it up a bit and do it a little bit different.

So I guess to start with your offence is to practise your target combo's and cross-ups. You can even do it bit in survival mode, to work on that muscle memory, because the CPU has a hard time countering cross-ups.

Sayad

Any tips on karin. I always have problem against this character. Her moves are "deceptively" +. what seems punishable is safe and i eat counter hit damage.
Every special move she does is -. Her dash > shoulder and charged V-Skill attacks aren't punishable but still negative on block, otherwise, everything should be punishable at the right range(not sure about her V-Trigger stuff so I'm excluding that). On the other hand, her normals are pretty fast and most of them are + on block, don't challenge her short range normals without reversals.

I'm in the middle of a really bad streak right now. Not sure what it is. I think I need to block more or try not to panic.
Honestly: having looked at both videos you posted, the source of your underperformance is that you don't really keep yourself composed. This includes the win you linked. You spend most of your time almost randomly pressing buttons and you miss out on plenty of opportunities that are sometimes even handed to you on a silver plate. Let's have a key example. Someone jumped at you when nearby and you beat him out of it with an aerial jab. Although the blow connected, this in itself is also a mistake on multiple levels. For starters, there are better air-to-airs for Ryu either for more damage or for more utility (Ryu's aerial MP causes a juggle state -> follow-up SRK as you land with the right timing) and secondly, had you stayed grounded you could've landed a Shoryuken as well for a solid anti-air, maybe even deterring your opponent (to whatever degree) from haphazardly jumping again any time soon. Could've maybe dashed through the jump too for a cross-under, or done more. You're effectively (and single-handedly) destroying your own chances at winning whether you realize it or not.

To really drive this point home, I looked up a random replay of yours and the button input display re-affirms the above:

nmkcqf.gif

This is what you're doing 5 - 8 seconds after the round started! This isn't how one should be playing fighting games (regardless of their personal skill level) and I'm only making a point of this because the enemies you fought are leaving themselves wide open in a number of different ways. You just don't put yourself in a position to capitalize on it. So rather than trying out a new character (unless you don't find your current main fun anymore) and starting from scratch because you didn't have any luck in mirror matches, focus on actually familiarizing yourself with Ryu's tool kit and learn how to react, how to anticipate enemy movement and how to stay consistent with your own approach. Perform a move for a reason, rather than throwing it out there and hope it sticks regardless of the distance between you two. Once you start doing that, you'll definitely notice a trend of either winning more or frequently coming that much closer to achieving a victory.

Can someone watch this match and critique me please? I'm the blue Nash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztZqpV8Ck4A
Looking at this match, you're not performing badly at all. I see you trying to space your moves out, going for mix-ups, dash forwards or jump at specific times, utilizing the V-Reversal to get out of a (potentially) problematic scenario, you apply meaties + cross-unders + irregular overheads and so forth. Your offense is fine for the Ranked tier you're at right now given the end result and it's evident yours was a step above the other Nash's.

What really made you come close to losing the match however is your defense and decision-making. Teched throws were on the low side and I didn't see much anti-airing when it was appropriate. Your blocking arguably could've been tighter too when you were being pressured, but all three of those are admittedly easier said than done and require time to become more proficient at. With regards to the decision-making, there were two shortcomings in particular that stuck out: 1) you really liked executing Nash's hit grab and 2) the way you used your Critical Arts at the tail-end of round 2.

To clarify: I understand what you were going for in both instances. With the first you usually fished for a Sonic Boom to punish (which admittedly didn't happen) but you persisted with it for too long and sizeable punishes were waiting to happen, regardless of this opponent's consistency rate. It is a valid option to make in the right circumstance, but in this case it didn't really present itself very often. You need to be recognizing this sooner if you want to minimize the risk-reward you were susceptible to by your own doing. Now, about the Critical Art: you won that round. Great, right? Of course, but let's look at it differently. You used it for a chip KO when there was still a third round left to play. What's worse, the enemy Nash also had a full bar to work with afterwards, so already you're facing a huge disadvantage before the third round even started. More importantly however: this shortcoming could've been entirely avoided because in retrospect, you were sitting on a full bar for approximately 25 seconds. If at any given point you had used an EX attack to amplify a combo or for another reason entirely to push your life lead, you would've been able to close it out without spending nearly as much and subsequently being in a far more favourable position. Subtly adjusting your playstyle to create openings for timely CA hit confirms could've also been one of your options worth your while, especially if you're only a couple hits away from filling up your bar, but this requires a higher presence of mind that takes adjusting too.

Bottom line: you're on the right path, but more refinement is needed in key aspects of your gameplan.

Xhorder

Any tips for me?

Match 1: Ken vs Ryu (me).
I started really badly in the first round. Dunno what happened, but it was so bad, he started to taunt me in the second round. I see too much jumping and missed opportunities. Still I landed a target combo and I got him in the end with a CA (ha!)

Match 2: Vega vs Ryu (me).
For some reason I have trouble with a lot of Vega's. This one is no exception. He just seems to come from all directions and hit me while I'm stumbling to stay alive.

Match 3: Ryu vs Ryu (I'm white Ryu).
Nice match, but I seem to make a lot of mistakes and lose...

88random

In an attempt to create a scene in our country, we held a SF V tournament a few days ago. I have experience in fighting games, mostly Guilty Gear in which I think I'm pretty decent, but I was never really good in SF.

So, this is my second ever SF 5 match. I had already seen some matches on Youtube and was messing around in training mode, so I had some idea what to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMf2abesAZA

So, any tips?
I think I should have played a little bit closer to him, but I didn't really know what Chun can do so I was playing it safer. I shouldn't attempt to trow so much, but I saw that he wasn't really punishing me for that so I kinda went with it. Throws were my undoing in the next round.
Oh, and the TV wasn't that great so we had some problems with lag, I wouldn't be dropping those tenko combos and orochi pressure strings, I have pretty good execution (after Guilty Gear everything is easy).

I'll post the other two matches when they get uploaded.

btw, I'm the one one the left playing with that keyboard stick abomination :)

I think I'm done with cammy. I mean, she is so much fun to play, but she's too predictable when coming in. At least, I'm having trouble closing in, and when I do I can't mix up my combos. It's always either cr mk into spiral, or st mp>st hk>spiral (or canon), and once an opponent starts blocking I don't know how to break their block. If I try jumping in, spinning knuckle, or hooligan I just get punished

some fights I hope will be critiqued :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gOEcxuL5W4
(Cammy v Ryu) Some things i did well for a bit, I feel, was baiting his jumps. I was able to take a bit of health. Idk, overall I did okay at best, I really think I won because the ryu was not all that great, at least from what i've play thus far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOayOfCfNrk
(Cammy v Mika) I got destroyed. It was bad.

pretty much, what you see in the videos is all I know how to do.

Josh5890

Honestly: having looked at both videos you posted, the source of your underperformance is that you don't really keep yourself composed. This includes the win you linked. You spend most of your time almost randomly pressing buttons and you miss out on plenty of opportunities that are sometimes even handed to you on a silver plate. Let's have a key example. Someone jumped at you when nearby and you beat him out of it with an aerial jab. Although the blow connected, this in itself is also a mistake on multiple levels. For starters, there are better air-to-airs for Ryu either for more damage or for more utility (Ryu's aerial MP causes a juggle state -> follow-up SRK as you land with the right timing) and secondly, had you stayed grounded you could've landed a Shoryuken as well for a solid anti-air, maybe even deterring your opponent (to whatever degree) from haphazardly jumping again any time soon. Could've maybe dashed through the jump too for a cross-under, or done more. You're effectively (and single-handedly) destroying your own chances at winning whether you realize it or not.

To really drive this point home, I looked up a random replay of yours and the button input display re-affirms the above:

nmkcqf.gif

This is what you're doing 5 - 8 seconds after the round started! This isn't how one should be playing fighting games (regardless of their personal skill level) and I'm only making a point of this because the enemies you fought are leaving themselves wide open in a number of different ways. You just don't put yourself in a position to capitalize on it. So rather than trying out a new character (unless you don't find your current main fun anymore) and starting from scratch because you didn't have any luck in mirror matches, focus on actually familiarizing yourself with Ryu's tool kit and learn how to react, how to anticipate enemy movement and how to stay consistent with your own approach. Perform a move for a reason, rather than throwing it out there and hope it sticks regardless of the distance between you two. Once you start doing that, you'll definitely notice a trend of either winning more or frequently coming that much closer to achieving a victory.

Your information is very good and I am trying to absorb it all in. I agree that I rarely have composure in matches. I will get frustrated quickly and then it is usually a mash-fest. I do feel like I have a better chance in a match whenever I block, I just need to try and get myself in the mindset when that happens.

Right now I'm mostly just working in training mode for a while. I saw a video how to use it to improve my reactions, which I believe is my main weakness, and I am going through those. I am using the dummy to throw a fireball and jump towards me at randomly so I can try to react properly. It is actually a little harder than I thought but I want to keep practicing.

I also still need to refine my inputs in general. I try to do a shoryuken, but it will often not execute. I should try the 25 shoryukens in each direction exercise to get it down. I have better success getting a dragon punch off, but even then it isn't close to 100% in an online match. I think part of my problem is that I am still trying to get used to playing with the Hori FC4.

I'll be honest, I don't think I have ever been this determined to work at something like this in a genre I was unseasoned in. Part of me feels like I am a couple small things away from being better and finally building a little LP, but another part says that there is a long way to go. Either way I'm not giving up.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Report:

1) I keep forgetting to save replays. T-T

2) I have been practicing execution and some BnBs with Laura in training.

3) In casuals, I am attempting to be more mindful of jump ins and defending/anti airing them. At times I do well, at times I don't. However, I do feel like I'm doing better. Even if by a little.

Right now, execution and being mindful are what I am really working on. I'll put a post-it note on my monitor to save replays. lol

Any tips for me?

Match 1: Ken vs Ryu (me).
I started really badly in the first round. Dunno what happened, but it was so bad, he started to taunt me in the second round. I see too much jumping and missed opportunities. Still I landed a target combo and I got him in the end with a CA (ha!)

Match 2: Vega vs Ryu (me).
For some reason I have trouble with a lot of Vega's. This one is no exception. He just seems to come from all directions and hit me while I'm stumbling to stay alive.

Match 3: Ryu vs Ryu (I'm white Ryu).
Nice match, but I seem to make a lot of mistakes and lose...
- A lot of aimless jumping indeed.
- Not enough forward movement through walking or dashing.
- Little gungho on the special attack usage, like Tatsumakis and Shoryukens being nowhere near the Ken player for example.
- Sweeps are regularly too close and are used too often.
- Subsequently, you need better punishes when someone does something equally as unsafe up-close, like those Vega slides.
- Your defense is lacking. Watch this video and also learn how to anti-air.
- You're too reliant on the target combo; the kick whiffs on crouching opponents and it's heavily punishable on block from fierce punch onwards.
- Not much in the way of a neutral game: the Ryu kept parrying your Hadokens because you weren't really pressuring afterwards, while also being too far.

In an attempt to create a scene in our country, we held a SF V tournament a few days ago. I have experience in fighting games, mostly Guilty Gear in which I think I'm pretty decent, but I was never really good in SF.

So, this is my second ever SF 5 match. I had already seen some matches on Youtube and was messing around in training mode, so I had some idea what to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMf2abesAZA

So, any tips?
I think I should have played a little bit closer to him, but I didn't really know what Chun can do so I was playing it safer. I shouldn't attempt to trow so much, but I saw that he wasn't really punishing me for that so I kinda went with it. Throws were my undoing in the next round.
Oh, and the TV wasn't that great so we had some problems with lag, I wouldn't be dropping those tenko combos and orochi pressure strings, I have pretty good execution (after Guilty Gear everything is easy).

I'll post the other two matches when they get uploaded.

btw, I'm the one one the left playing with that keyboard stick abomination :)
- Not much I can say about the first match, seeing how convincing of a victory it was. You also had the basics down pat.
- Second match: pressing too many buttons on wake-up. Partially match-up unfamiliarity I suppose, but bad habit for V in general as a rule of thumb.
- Too jump-happy. The Chun-Li started to frequently anti-air and halt your momentum.
- Using the dash into shoulder move too much from the looks of it.
- Beyond that it's merely a matter of just being better at advanced tactics, like refining your meaties / block strings / combos / et cetera.
- Lastly, if something works, no reason to not keep doing it until your opponents puts a stop to it.

I think I'm done with cammy. I mean, she is so much fun to play, but she's too predictable when coming in. At least, I'm having trouble closing in, and when I do I can't mix up my combos. It's always either cr mk into spiral, or st mp>st hk>spiral (or canon), and once an opponent starts blocking I don't know how to break their block. If I try jumping in, spinning knuckle, or hooligan I just get punished

some fights I hope will be critiqued :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gOEcxuL5W4
(Cammy v Ryu) Some things i did well for a bit, I feel, was baiting his jumps. I was able to take a bit of health. Idk, overall I did okay at best, I really think I won because the ryu was not all that great, at least from what i've play thus far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOayOfCfNrk
(Cammy v Mika) I got destroyed. It was bad.

pretty much, what you see in the videos is all I know how to do.
Your problem with Cammy is that you're rather predictable in your approach. With the first match you did fine for the first 20 - 25 or so pushing him into the corner and keeping the Ryu there, with the correct responses to any attempts of him moving out of it, but afterwards it felt like you didn't have much of a goal in mind. Kept using Spin Knuckle too much for example and not really playing the spacing game anymore, which is sort of important for a straight-forward character like Cammy. There's also other ways for her to bypass fireballs outside of a timely jump, like some Spiral Arrows going underneath them, but you weren't really using her tools to the fullest. I didn't get the impression you had a method going into the match, or having a keen eye on what to bait vs the Ryu.

The Mika match is indicative of not having much in the way of defense or the neutral game. You also fell into the trap of letting her get a fully charged dropkick off (which is safe on block) multiple times over, the motion of which can be punished in a number of ways. Cannon Spike as she's traveling towards you, neutral jumping or backdashing as it's in transit, V-Reversal as a last ditch effort to avoid the mix-up afterwards (especially when in the corner) et cetera. Cammy's normals and walking speed were also underutilized since they're superior to Mika's.

Look up what veteran / tournament players are doing with Cammy and take notes when they're using which moves, if you still have an interesting in playing her. I've seen Spin Knuckle been used for cross-up shenanigans in the corner, her Hooligan for more ambiguous set-ups on knockdown and her Cannon Strike from frame advantage as well as making her jumping arc irregular.

All I can really add here is that you really need to tone down how you use Cammy's special attacks. In actuality they left you open far too many times, most of them left unpunished because your opponents weren't good enough to do. You're leaving vulnerable to Crush Counters a hell of a lot, and virtually half of the time your Cannon Spikes hit at close range as much as they did was because the opposing players didn't link their combos tight enough. You landing the Super vs the Vega also felt like a fluke rather than a deliberate hit confirm as a result, and the way you tried to counter his wall dives is also a sign of a lacklustre neutral game. You could've fended those off with less effort: going for a standard air-to-air or staying grounded as you're timing an anti-air with a mere normal.

Work on how you play on the ground and how you bring yourself closer to the enemy without overextending yourself via special moves.

I'll be honest, I don't think I have ever been this determined to work at something like this in a genre I was unseasoned in. Part of me feels like I am a couple small things away from being better and finally building a little LP, but another part says that there is a long way to go. Either way I'm not giving up.
What you wrote there is a good mentality to have in general for fighting games, so keep going at it until it clicks.

markwaters

Neo Member
Your information is very good and I am trying to absorb it all in. I agree that I rarely have composure in matches. I will get frustrated quickly and then it is usually a mash-fest. I do feel like I have a better chance in a match whenever I block, I just need to try and get myself in the mindset when that happens.

Right now I'm mostly just working in training mode for a while. I saw a video how to use it to improve my reactions, which I believe is my main weakness, and I am going through those. I am using the dummy to throw a fireball and jump towards me at randomly so I can try to react properly. It is actually a little harder than I thought but I want to keep practicing.

I also still need to refine my inputs in general. I try to do a shoryuken, but it will often not execute. I should try the 25 shoryukens in each direction exercise to get it down. I have better success getting a dragon punch off, but even then it isn't close to 100% in an online match. I think part of my problem is that I am still trying to get used to playing with the Hori FC4.

Here's one of my favorite writeups regarding composure/decision making in fighting games: http://kayin.moe/?p=2047

There's some ... colloquial ... language in there at times, but otherwise it's a good read to help you understand the process of learning what you ought to be doing in situations. It's by no means a primer or tutorial, mind you -- it's just something to think about and give you some hope as you learn!

McNum

I had a productive and fun Battle Lounge marathon against a friend yesterday. I don't really have any videos from it, because it was two and a half hours and there's so many fights that I wouldn't even know which ones to choose.

So, self analysis time:
- I think I finally got the Ressenha habit beaten out of me. Good to repeatedly play against someone who can block that and punish it every time. I mean, it still has its uses, but it's not nearly as used as before. I did land the Ressenha-Super cancel once, though. I am so keeping that one in reserve for a Ryu on Ranked who thinks he can start a fireball war lategame. Move to 3/4s screen to bait it... and boom. Match over.

- My spacing is improving drastically, got a comment that he really shouldn't get hit my my sweep that much. Well, I just kept that distance and tripped as I could. Caution, Zangief's LP SPD can grab Karin at sweep range!

- I began hitting the cr. MP, st. MP link very, very consistently. That means it's time to add an extension to that combo, doesn't it? But what to add, I wonder... qcb+HK or Instant Tenko (qcf+K~P)? The first is easier, but the second starts Karin's real combo game. Instant Tenko would be so fantastic to have available on command like that.

- In non-Karin news, we also played other characters, and I may have to look into Chun-Li. That standing HP is just crazy. How does she punch that far? It also nice to have a fireball to have something to do at full screen, but Kikoken isn't all that great. It's mostly to tell the opponent that I care, and they should come over here for kicks.

Anyone got any good training room techniques for practicing anti-airs in SFV? No matter how much i practice i can't react in time to jumps and usually eat a full combo.

SSReborn

Kind of wanted to get a feel of how others deal with becoming more proficient with their execution. I have a lot of friends who play fighters and they seem to have a way easier time getting the hang of complicated strings and mastering them.

I on the otherhand have struggled with getting truly proficient and executing complex strings. Shorter BnB's I'm generally fine with but more lengthy and damaging combos usually get dropped.

So I'm wondering if there is anything in general that you guys have done or do with regards to your training that has helped you become more proficient in this aspect

This is more a general question across all fighting games instead of one in paticular.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Kind of wanted to get a feel of how others deal with becoming more proficient with their execution. I have a lot of friends who play fighters and they seem to have a way easier time getting the hang of complicated strings and mastering them.

I on the otherhand have struggled with getting truly proficient and executing complex strings. Shorter BnB's I'm generally fine with but more lengthy and damaging combos usually get dropped.

So I'm wondering if there is anything in general that you guys have done or do with regards to your training that has helped you become more proficient in this aspect

This is more a general question across all fighting games instead of one in paticular.

Just gotta drill 'em.

Usually there's a rhythm to them that once you get it's easier to apply to others etc.

ShinMaruku

All I can really add here is that you really need to tone down how you use Cammy's special attacks. In actuality they left you open far too many times, most of them left unpunished because your opponents weren't good enough to do. You're leaving vulnerable to Crush Counters a hell of a lot, and virtually half of the time your Cannon Spikes hit at close range as much as they did was because the opposing players didn't link their combos tight enough. You landing the Super vs the Vega also felt like a fluke rather than a deliberate hit confirm as a result, and the way you tried to counter his wall dives is also a sign of a lacklustre neutral game. You could've fended those off with less effort: going for a standard air-to-air or staying grounded as you're timing an anti-air with a mere normal.

Work on how you play on the ground and how you bring yourself closer to the enemy without overextending yourself via special moves.
I'll try to keep that in mind. I always feel I have not been too good at the neutral. Now here is my question you say I could punish wall dives with less effort? What moves should be used? People tell me that and yet when I try something I get smacked. What moves exactly. Until very recently I had shit for help.

Here is some sets with Laura, it's my first time seriously using her. I never clicked with her til now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpCN7Dk8DLM

More of worst Cammy ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEVFiIIjlpE

That video is definitely helping with my anti-airs timing. st.mp is working great for me, though Laura's aa command grab seems to keep trading half the time and I'm not really sure why.

The fireball is pretty hard for me to react to as Laura's only anti-fireball tech is her EX elbow and it doesn't have invinciblility on frame one so I'm definitely taking some hits with it.

Top Bottom