• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fighting Game Noob Thread: From Scrub to Master

Any guides for Karin? I haven't put enough practice because of school. I also may want learn other characters, maybe Laura, R-Mika, Ken, Chun-li, etc.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Read the following books:

David Sirlin's Playing To Win
Pat Miller's From Masher to Master (free on SRK)
Gootecks' Fighting Game Fundamentals
Gootecks Simplifying Street Fighter

Start with the basics. Your plan isn't bad but I wouldn't expect to achieve mastery of a character with a week time span.

It'd be better to concentrate on one to three characters max and fill in matchup knowledge with experience and experimentation. Play those characters for a few months, then go to different characters.

Thank you so much! Now, lets say i want to start with Laura (my fav). Whats my first step in training mode? Footsie training? Research? All of the above?

Thank you so much! Now, lets say i want to start with Laura (my fav). Whats my first step in training mode? Footsie training? Research? All of the above?

1. Learn your normals and their ranges and uses. ex: https://www.facebook.com/GameSpot/videos/10156393186840436/ (don't pay attention to the comments, they have no idea what they're talking about, and while you shouldn't use this move in this manner, it's a good way of showing its use and this is done for comedy because no way is this going to work on someone who knows what they're doing. This is a week 1 gimmick, treat it as such, but the move itself isn't bad).

2. Learn your BNBs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFM3VbeGvqc

3. Watch a basics guide - https://youtu.be/20TpmMf8iSY

4. Watch high level play to get an idea of how to play her to show her weaknesses and strengths and general game plan - https://youtu.be/bITOH8za6xw

5. Fight and gain experience and work on getting the basics down. It's hard to do footsies if you don't know your move ranges so get comfortable with your ranges. You can't do footsies without knowing your opponent's ranges, so learn those too. Work on her bnbs, getting comfortable with spacing for now.

6. Join a Laura board like on Facebook (I can suggest you one if you pm me) or SRK.

7. Post videos of your maches here or on those groups and get constructive feedback on what you need to improve on.

It's a process. There's multiple things to work on from the ground up so it's best to concentrate on a few things at once. For now, start on familiarizing yourself with her normals, their ranges, and speeds as well as her bread and butter combos.

McNum

I know it might be a little bad form to quote myself, but I would like to have at least the Ken match of the three videos I shared last page looked at to see if my own analysis of that match is accurate. I'm red Karin, of course. (Though I've been eyeing the purple color, but... Survival Mode. Ew.)

Battle Lounge: Ryu (W) vs Karin
A fight with fellow Gaffer Acerac, whose Ryu is scarily on point at times, especially at 1:00 in that one. I'm sharing this mostly as a "Before" video, but do feel free to comment on the Ryu player, too, though.

Ranked: Karin (W) vs Necalli
I am not entirely sure of Necalli yet, other than he has a charge attack that comes out scary fast, so if he backs up, I block. And then he never used it, figures. Also, Necalli's super is a HIT, despite looking like a grab. I need to learn whose supers have to be blocked and whose have to be jumped. Necalli's is not to be jumped. Overall, though, this is the result of the lab work and coming up with a plan. It's not a great plan, but it is a plan. But that final Crush Counter to qcb+HK detail? That's a Training Mode nugget. I practiced that, and it paid off.

Ranked: Karin (W) vs Ken
I have a Ken problem, and on a double win streak, this was just about the worst I could see, other than Vega, on the opposite side of the VS screen. This was a very swingy match, the second round in particular is hugely sloppy on my part. I was trying to land another training mode combo, but failing spectacularly. I found out Ressenha is Super-cancellable, you see... And I paid for it with my entire EX meter and a lost round. Smooth.

The final round, though. On rewatch, I can barely believe that's me playing. I walk him to the corner, I keep him in the corner, I get a dizzy and I win. Few gimmicks, nothing fancy. Push, punish, control screen position. As I see it, I need to look long and hard at that final round versus Ken there. That's what I want. That's easily within my ability to do again. Of course, he did help by not exploiting the knockdown he got to just flee from the corner, but still. I got him here and kept him there.
I rewatched other fights that I won, and I did notice a pattern. In most of the rounds I win, the opponent is in the corner. I didn't think about that, but in hindsight, it's so obvious. With Karin's speed and pokes, if she gets you cornered, your options are very limited unless you have a teleport or is willing to burn meter on something invincible.

But could someone confirm/deny that line of thinking? The vs. Ken video is the important one of the three.

Wallach

I know it might be a little bad form to quote myself, but I would like to have at least the Ken match of the three videos I shared last page looked at to see if my own analysis of that match is accurate. I'm red Karin, of course. (Though I've been eyeing the purple color, but... Survival Mode. Ew.)

I rewatched other fights that I won, and I did notice a pattern. In most of the rounds I win, the opponent is in the corner. I didn't think about that, but in hindsight, it's so obvious. With Karin's speed and pokes, if she gets you cornered, your options are very limited unless you have a teleport or is willing to burn meter on something invincible.

But could someone confirm/deny that line of thinking? The vs. Ken video is the important one of the three.

This is sort of a general truth about fighting games in general. It's one of the things that is fundamental to 2D fighting games. When folks talk about the "neutral game" and "space control", the space behind each player is just as relevant as the space between each player. If you can push your opponent into the corner, you have reduced their options in a very fundamental way no matter what character they are playing, while giving yourself the maximum amount of screen space behind yourself to ensure you don't lose those same options. It's one of the reasons experienced players sometimes refer to screen space as a resource very much in the same context as your EX or health meters. If you lose control of the screen you very often have to pay more of a different resource resource (whether health, EX or V-Gauge in SF5 context) to get out of the corner. Worse yet your opponent gains even more options because there are setups and situations that they can only leverage against you in the corner, so they're more likely to increase the disparity of resources between you and them the longer they can keep control of that screen space.

Naturally there will be cases where it is even more or less favorable for a particular character to be in the corner or have someone in the corner (Dhalsim having Guile in the corner in SF4 for example is not nearly as favorable as Zangief having Dhalsim in the corner in SF5) but every round is still essentially down to who controls the screen space the most, and when you have your opponent in the corner it means you have overwhelmingly won the most significant element of the round and the situation is generally in your favor.

I've been meaning to reply to newer videos to some capacity, but I've been writing up something larger (in a general sense) as well as looking into my own matches behind-the-scenes. Unless others have beaten me to the punch with feedback of their own, I'll try to resume this when time permits it.

Need to post some videos of my fights, I'm currently at an impasse. I seem to get flustered if someone, rashid for example, gets heavy on the offensive, or Nash when he uses v-trigger. Attacks happen so instantaneously that I just get stuck, and my simple combos which worked early on, no longer work (no surprise there, didn't expect them to). At least, I'm predictable because the simple 1-2 combos are the only ones I know. Need help mixing it up.

Whales

Banned
Hello fellow Chun player.

At match start, Mika does a really unsafe move and you decide to crouch. Don't crouch. Assault her from all angles. Start with a back/forward + MP for starters, or maybe a st HP. Strike fear into your opponents with your great normals.

You have a tendency to bust out lights. Lights useless for that purpose in SFV. Instead, work on Chun BNB's such as cr lp, st mp, cr mk xx legs, cr lp, st mp, cr mk xx sbk, or cr hp xx lk legs -> cr lp xx sbk.

Do NOT abuse cr hk. It is highly unsafe for Chun in this game, and against a Mika (or anyone really) you'll get blown up. Use cr mk instead. Other good ranged pokes are st mk, st hp, st hk against specifically tall opponents, and back/forward + mp. Only use cr hk as an anti-air or a punish. You can set people up with it by doing a faster kick like cr lk or cr mk, and some players may think they can punish that with a sweep but those moves are fast. When they do try to sweep, sweep them back when they're in recovery. You're using cr hk like a poke. Crouching hk is NOT a poke for Chun like it was in SFIV!

Also, nice Round 2! Like the back + hp xx legs!

I'm willing to spar but please know it will be terrible because I'm learning stick and it's still foreign to me.

Thanks a bunch for the tips! I know, i've cut down on the sweep uses now that I realized how unsafe it is.. I also need to improve my AA, but tbh i'm finding that very difficult as of now. I guess it will get better with time.

Also sure, we can spar whenever you want, my CFN is Whales , also how is a stick? I kinda feel like buying one :p

McNum

This is sort of a general truth about fighting games in general. It's one of the things that is fundamental to 2D fighting games. When folks talk about the "neutral game" and "space control", the space behind each player is just as relevant as the space between each player. If you can push your opponent into the corner, you have reduced their options in a very fundamental way no matter what character they are playing, while giving yourself the maximum amount of screen space behind yourself to ensure you don't lose those same options. It's one of the reasons experienced players sometimes refer to screen space as a resource very much in the same context as your EX or health meters. If you lose control of the screen you very often have to pay more of a different resource resource (whether health, EX or V-Gauge in SF5 context) to get out of the corner. Worse yet your opponent gains even more options because there are setups and situations that they can only leverage against you in the corner, so they're more likely to increase the disparity of resources between you and them the longer they can keep control of that screen space.

Naturally there will be cases where it is even more or less favorable for a particular character to be in the corner or have someone in the corner (Dhalsim having Guile in the corner in SF4 for example is not nearly as favorable as Zangief having Dhalsim in the corner in SF5) but every round is still essentially down to who controls the screen space the most, and when you have your opponent in the corner it means you have overwhelmingly won the most significant element of the round and the situation is generally in your favor.
Yeah, I mean, I knew of it in theory. "Being in the corner is bad" and all. But I never really gave it much thought as a gameplan. "Get the opponent in the corner because being in the corner is bad." And of course there are expections, like characters that you just can't really corner. Dhalsim can teleport out, for instance, and a Nash with a full V-Trigger can burn it to get on the other side of you. But still, get the opponent cornered and stand juuust outside his attack range so he has to move forward to do anything, meaning he's open to getting hit, is devastatingly powerful, even in my newbie hands.

I've been meaning to reply to newer videos to some capacity, but I've been writing up something larger (in a general sense) as well as looking into my own matches behind-the-scenes. Unless others have beaten me to the punch with feedback of their own, I'll try to resume this when time permits it.

Yes, there's a lot to watch. Trying my best to catch up.
Well, good feedback takes time, and you guys have been giving good feedback. Probably why so many of us post videos here.

But I figure I'll give a little something back, since I haven't been able to play much today, I instead went data harvesting in Training. So, in the spirit of giving something back to avoid embarrassing losses, here's my little guide to "Help, he's doing a raw super! What do I do!" Note that block damage CAN chip you out, so some opponents might do a raw super on purpose to chip you out. This assumes you have the health to block it.

If [character] does a raw super I should...
Ryu: Less than half screen away, block. More than half screen away, jump.
Ken: Block
Chun-Li: Block
Nash: Block
M. Bison: Block
Cammy: Block
Birdie: Block
Necalli: Block
Vega: Block, but if he goes towards you, block again in the opposite direction!
R. Mika: JUMP!
Rashid: Block.
Karin: Block
Zangief: You are already suplexed.
Laura: JUMP!
Dhalsim: Block, but watch out for teleport shenanigans!
F.A.N.G: Block, but watch out for poison if he flies above you.

The important ones to remember are Laura and R. Mika who you have to jump, and Vega who can hit twice in opposite directions. I was surprised Birdie's was a strike, actually. This just saved me a round loss in the future from that. But for most of the raw supers, the general rule is the same as always. Block, then punish. Try out your characters and see what they can do to them.

Of course this doesn't defend against supers you were set up for, but for not losing to a desperation super, this could be useful to know.

I hate necallis and lauras

Laura is a 50:50 for me. Can get either way. Hard to enter with her plasma. Jump and get aa'd.

Necallis just rush me to death.

:(

Got to super bronze again tho. Beat a 1600 ken in a mirror match. He must be a RQ'r because it wasn't that hard

I'm thinking about getting the Hori Fighting Stick Mini for Street Fighter V. It's the only stick I could afford. Is it worth it?

You mean the Mini 4? If you can adjust to the small size.
My problem was after some matches my left hand was aching, because of the small area you have. One of the reasons I sent it back and bought a TE2 stick.
The buttons are also pretty stiff.

could someone here please teach me how to play dhalsim? i've tried to play him in sf4 last time but i panicked easily and just pressed random buttons and it's happening again in sfv. i think what i need is figure out the proper mindset for playing dhalsim. on execution side, i've been practising tiger knee teleports for the air hp mixups and anti airing with cr. mp but i still need to learn the ranges of it and other aa moves like b.mp, b.hp and jab.
BASIC GUIDELINES ON HOW TO PLAY DHALSIM:

Dhalsim has always been a methodical character at the expense of combo extravagance and even with a redone playstyle for V, the same principles and primary tactics which held true in previous games still apply here combined with the occasional twist. As he is a rather demanding character to win matches with, never mind trying to fend off an experienced one, hopefully this post will act as a servicable entry point in how exactly Dhalsim ticks.

THE NEUTRAL GAME:

One of Dhalsim's key strengths. From the mid-screen range and beyond that, his limbs reach the furthest out of anyone and untrained opponents easily lose composure against his harrassment. His ranged attacks have become slower than before, making him more suspectible to whiff punishing and a horizontal Yoga Fire that doesn't cost EX meter has been omitted entirely, but he still has all the tools in the book needed to keep any character at bay. It just translates into him having to commit to when he pushes a button and having to be considerate what is currently going on in a fight, or else risk a sustained beating if his personal space (where he is at his weakest) is invaded.

Let's break down what's meant for what though. His standing MK and MP are his fastest go-to pokes. Both jabs as well as his standing short kick are now dedicated to close-range defense with no existing long-range variants, and his crouching kick buttons have also been altered to perform a slide whether you hold down-back or not. These slides, much like Yoga Drills, are all unsafe on block or even on hit without proper spacing! Gone is his older standing Fierce Punch from past Street Fighters; this version of the FP now possesses a much longer start-up animation, but hits low unlike before and has a tendency of going under fireballs with correct timing:

rljkhx.gif

Which brings me to my next point: how does Dhalsim deal with traditional fireballs now that his require a resource in order to occupy the horizontal area? He has been compensated with this opening in mind, and his options include:

mtldtw.gif

Yoga Drills of all strengths brings you closer with minimal dexterity. His standing pokes are good for negating fireballs before they come out thanks to the longer start-up animation that most have been given in Street Fighter V. All slides can go under the fireball, with the added benefit of you being able to hypothetically cancel them into a V-Trigger activation. V-Skill can also gradually move you forwards for more screen estate as you quickly chip away at the enemy if he's still recovering. Both Yoga Gale and Flame can be used to snuff a fireball out of existence, primarily meant as a defensive measure if you also want to gain EX / CA meter in the process. Lastly, there's the on-reaction instant-air teleport which (with good reflexes) can lead to a max damage combo.

So what's the idea behind the curved fireballs, then? First and foremost, Dhalsim's are designed to discourage someone from jumping, allowing him to focus on the ground and regularly also serving as a deterrent to the occasional V-Skill that bypasses fireballs, like Chun-Li's. Secondly, they allow for mix-up potential when combined with his teleport since if given the chance he can appear in front of you, behind you or psyche you out by just teleporting in place. Not falling into a set rhythm is key here to keep your adversies on their toes. The Yoga Fire does not act as a true cross-up: if you block opposite of the direction Dhalsim appears, you will block the fireball even if he waits to throw out a normal attack! By extension, this works against F.A.N.G's projectiles too.

ANTI-AIRING:

A primary pillar of Dhalsim's strategy and without consistently landing these, you will be hard-pressed to create any kind of grounded gameplan against skilled players or newcomers alike. Thankfully, all of Dhalsim's are solid on their own accord and are illustrated below:

xsbnuc.gif

Standing jab is his fastest option. It is surprisingly effective against a large portion of jump-ins out there and it covers most of the space directly surrounding his head. Well worth practicing this one, if only for the fact this'll sometimes be your only viable choice if you're in the middle of recovering from something against an already airborne enemy or to protect yourself against cross-ups. Dhalsim's back MP anti-air may not be as snappy as its IV counterpart, but it has a higher reach to it, moves Dhalsim slightly forwards and its recovery frames can be cancelled into a special attack. His crouching MP is his fastest far-reaching anti-air and shares the same aforementioned cancel trait. Dito regarding his back FP, but this one is the most difficult for Dhalsim to safely utilize as it is noticeably slower than the alternatives. However, the reason behind this is that it also functions as a Crush Counter! The importance of which is elaborated upon under V-Meter management.

One final note: while technically not an anti-air, slipping through a crack in someone's offense by low-profiling underneath a jump (or something akin to R. Mika's dropkick) needs to be taken into consideration as well. Maybe the angle for your anti-airs isn't optimal or maybe your opponent has figured out an aerial normal with higher priority than them, in which case you avoid that type of situation via a slide and try again. This can have tangible benefits too: it can throw your enemy's sense of direction off and lead into a combo if they don't block correctly, or someone like Bison could end up losing his charge if he didn't anticipate your escape.

YOGA FLAME PROPERTIES:

Primarily served as a combo finisher (sans Critical Art) or as one of Dhalsim's pressure tools when approaching someone in the corner, given that even his quickest Yoga Flame is relatively safe with its frames being -3 on block. Before you worry about number crunching, don't; simply put what this means is that most characters cannot punish this move on block since usually their fastest normal consists out of a jab or maybe even a short kick, which often enough 'only' provides them a 3-frame window to strike. In other words, the situation will typically be neutral if a jab Yoga Flame is blocked. For completion's sake: MP, FP and EX Yoga Flame are respectively -2, +3 and +4 on block, just for reference.

To the untrained eye it's a fairly straight-forward special attack, but it comes with a number of quirks worth noting, hence the separate paragraph. While the MP Yoga Flame does dish out slightly more damage (at the expense of a slightly longer start-up animation) than the jab version and can still be used in his standard bread-and-butter combos, Dhalsim's HP Yoga Flame lacks this perk. It carries the highest damage value out of any non-EX Yoga Flame and its animation takes the longest to come out, but it yields a different benefit outside of the aforementioned frame advantage. Take a look at this:

bjauux.gif

While only practical in a select few scenarios, enemies struck by the HP Yoga Flame are given a juggle state! Which moves you can juggle someone with afterwards varies based on the proximity between you and your enemy, as well as occasionally the character you're facing - case in point: it's easier to do on Zangief than it is on Ryu - but if you've got the chops for it, it can be used rather creatively to throw your opponent off-guard. Especially when you've pinned them down in the corner. Back FP can combo into it funnily enough, hence it being showcased in the above .gif and not even EX Yoga Flame allows for this, as it's more commonly used for more damage and to widen the gap between both players. There is however, an exception case:

abooxa.gif

In the corner, you can extend the combo with EX Yoga Gale (and ONLY this) as they're being launched by EX Yoga Flame. This is an expensive ordeal, since you're sacrificing two-thirds of your CA bar for what ultimately isn't -that- high of a damage spike. So when do you logically want to follow up with this move? There's two ideal scenarios I can think of: the first being to conclude a round since it's a guaranteed follow-up with tight enough execution, and the second reason being to deliver a decisive blow to successfully stun the opposing player. Stun is important in this game for (obviously) delivering more damage, but also to force someone in a situation where they must choose between trying to block your onslaught or spending meter for a V-Reversal before it's too late, thus stripping them from access to V-Trigger for a while longer. The latter which, of course, can be baited.

Even Dhalsim has the tools available to him to press his advantage when your enemy is on the ropes thanks to EX Yoga Flame in other words, with both his crouching and standing jab playing a large part in this. You can link jabs into one another for a standard two-hit combo, but the real importance of this is only EX Yoga Flame can be linked after one or two jabs! The timing for a 5 - 6 hit combo is admittedly fairly tight and certainly demands practice, but it's very valuable to punish unsafe normals or special attacks that aren't properly spaced out with this. It can provide you the breathing room you may need at any given point without sacrificing V-Meter, so get a feel for the execution requirement and learn to resort to it when appropriate.

INSTANT-AIR MANOEUVRES:

One aspect of Dhalsim's play that flies under the radar for anyone new to him, is his ability to instantly teleport off the ground (Z-motion -> then jump) and subsequently attacking out of this. Although this technique is essential to any up-and-coming Dhalsim, it's not something you can carelessly throw around since better players will be able to defensively jab you out of on-reaction or perhaps even worse if their character is graced with stronger quick normals, knocking the wind out of your momentum. A jab by itself admittedly doesn't sound like a whole lot of damage, but considering you'll be right next to your enemy when you touch the ground again, you're prone to mix-up potential against for example grapplers or be put in a block string. Nonetheless, why this technique is important should be evident by paying attention to the button display below:

petzyt.gif

As you can see, the recovery on a grounded teleport causes a huge window of vulnerability when you compare them side-by-side. Mess up the execution of the instant-air teleport trying to open someone up and it's virtually guaranteed you will be torn apart on the spot, barring exception cases. The only main reason why you would opt to use it intentionally however, is to free yourself from a dangerous set-up (if heaven forbid you ever suffer a hard knockdown) by utilizing the grounded teleport as a reversal. BUT! Given how you're practically rooted in place for a brief moment even in this circumstance, that doesn't mean some characters cannot instantly retaliate should they expect it, so sparingly use this with caution.

Lastly, instant-air Yoga Gales are new to his arsenal in Street Fighter V.

ckxjnc.gif

Difficult to pull off on a whim, but what you gain from it is well worth the risk. All strengths provide heavy frame advantage on block to varying degrees, so it's extraordinarily useful for frame trap shenanigans on knockdown as showcased by tournament players like Arturo Sanchez or FilipinoChamp. Go that extra step further by combining this with a well-timed instant-air teleport and you could hypothetically lock an opponent down with it should they attempt to create distance between the both of you. Keep in mind that there's a height limitation for the EX version and that (seemingly) only the jab Gale comes out quick enough when low off the ground.

V-METER MANAGEMENT:

Arguably one of Dhalsim's most interesting new elements in how he has to strike a balance. Unlike Ryu, Necalli, Birdie et al, his V-Trigger (the flame carpet) is not an ability that empowers him immediately. It's something that's at its most effective after you conditioned the opposing player to behave a certain way and wish you to exploit said vulnerability. However, it comes at the cost of losing his V-Reversal, which can hurt than with most characters since Dhalsim lacks anything to 'easily' shake someone off of him by design. No Shoryuken, no EX dash akin to F.A.N.G, no armor, nothing whatsoever with his teleport also potentially not being a valid answer due to reasons I've already outlined. In other words, it has to be a calculated decision based on what type of player you're facing or how you're coping against specific strategies. A delicate risk-reward.

Now on the flipside, there's two ways for Dhalsim to gain more V-Meter throughout the whole shebang. One of them being through his V-Skill: activating it doesn't grant you more resources in itself, but it does provide you increments if you actively hit someone with a move as you're levitating around. Blocking does not count; it has to be a clean hit. The other method, a luxury everyone in the cast is privy to, is via the Crush Counter system. Land a Crush Counter of any kind and you're rewarded with approximately half a bar. If you're on-point with grounded counter-hits (like using standing / crouching HK if you expect a command dash) or accurately wield Dhalsim's back FP anti-air, you stand to gain multiple V-Reversals - most I've accomplished was 4 in one round - or sufficient meter for both V-Trigger as well as one or two V-Reversals, further depending on your timing.

This at its core is what I find so engaging. There exist ideal scenarios when you would to use the V-Skill, V-Trigger or V-Reversal much like anyone else, but given its not-so-straightforward nature you actively have to make the right reads on a match-to-match basis and be confident that you can pull through with your call, lest you suffer from (potentially) significant weaknesses in the aftermath.

V-Skill:

Dhalsim gains the ability to levitate forwards or backwards for a limited time. From here he can be quite effective at controlling air space thanks to his MP and HK, plus he retains most of his special attacks. Yoga Gale is the airborne version of Flame, he can execute the Yoga Drill from there too, teleporting is an option and lastly he can whip out his Critical Art... because reasons. He is suspectible to hits during its start-up though, because unlike Yoga Tower in Street Fighter IV, his leg is not impervious to medium / low hits or projectiles. Can be performed neutrally or by propelling yourself forwards a bit and although there is a height restriction in place, during a standard jump as well.

V-Trigger:

a flame carpet that lasts approximately 6 seconds, with its start-up animation lasting relatively long compared to most characters. The activation has a hit component to it, so you could for example combo it after any non-knockdown slide. Your opponent is free to move whichever way he/she pleases when it's on the field and It only inflicts white health upon your victim, with the added caveat that the fire itself does not chip someone out. If you're uncertain whether you'd be in the clear after a slide + activation, you can always cancel a long-range limb on hit or block, but as evidenced below it's not completely safe either:

kqfofq.gif

Nuances that are important to understanding the capabilities of the flame carpet:

- jumping above it does not prevent you from taking white damage.
- if you are knocked to the ground however, it'll only begin doing so on wake-up.
- grabs of any kind halt white damage from being accumulated.
- the same can be said about cinematic sequences like V-Triggers or Critical Arts.
- the effective area is larger than you'd suspect; if your tippy-toes are visually in reach, you still take the full brunt of it.
- in turn, this means that when you're in the corner, you're pressured into forward movement as it takes up approximately half the screen.
- finally, white health builds up in the middle of combos so long as you're grounded, with two useful examples below.​

wfezuq.gif
whzbqq.gif

ANTI-DHALSIM STRATEGIES:

Now that Cindi Mayweather explained the utility behind Training Mode, here's a fun challenge for everyone to go through which'll simultaneously also give you a chance to familiarize yourself on how footsies operate, albeit in a very exaggerated fashion. The objective: figure out how to play around his reach with your main character(s), be they from full- or half-screen or even closer. Here are some examples, but the overall possibilities are not limited to these:

cwtavk.gif
rebkpx.gif

But wait, what about the lumbering grapplers? Surely they're handicapped in this match-up with how Dhalsim's always been their nemesis thanks to their size and poor jumping arcs!

oapocx.gif
sfvantisim004i0spz.gif

Every single character in the game has tools against Dhalsim's options. Of course, this'll be more difficult to put into practice during a live match, but gaining the knowledge in the first place is an important step and over time it might just bail you out in a pinch. Bonus point if you can play the footsies / whiff punish game without sacrificing any meter for it, so you can keep it in your backpocket for high-damage combos if you do position him into your own sweet spot or escape from a teleport + Yoga Fire mix-up with a suitable EX counter-attack if push comes to shove. General goals to put Dhalsim in a precarious situation have also been elaborated upon in this post.

CONCLUSION:

If anything is left unclear, either from the perspective of a fledgling Dhalsim player or as someone who lost to one, feel free to ask away and I'll try to reply accordingly.

ohkay

Have one of those for Cammy? :p

Anyway, what's the best way to learn match ups? I think I have most of the basics down, at least in theory, but I think most of my losses are from not knowing what to do in specific situations or when it's safe to press buttons against someone

Have one of those for Cammy? :p

Anyway, what's the best way to learn match ups? I think I have most of the basics down, at least in theory, but I think most of my losses are from not knowing what to do in specific situations or when it's safe to press buttons against someone
I don't, I'm a character loyalist simpleton. Capcom uploaded a handy video guide for Cammy at least.

Regarding learning character match-ups: look through your replays, take note of what tagged you repeatedly when you were pressing buttons and examine in Training Mode what you can do about it with your main. Having access to frame data also helps deduce what is truly unsafe and what Cammy has in her repertoire in response, although not absolutely necessary to consult. Also look into what you could've done differently before you ended up in an unfavourable situation, like for example anti-airing more often.

versus Chun Li

More lobby matches with friends!

Still adjusting to stick and I missed a lot of opportunities here but I'm enjoying my progress with stick.

Second round he threw out a fireball and I expected it, and dialed in the CA input and it didn't come out. :(

On round three I did a st HP xx V trigger xx CA combo and I got ex legs out instead. :(

I did a CA on round three instead of regular legs. :(

Movement with stick I've adjusted to. Now I'm getting to and trying to exceed my input execution on pad.

Amazing post Crab Milk.

Lowkey i've been thinking of using Sim because his animations look really good in this game. I feel like in SF4 as Sim you were fighting for your life but in 5 it's like Sim strikes back lol

paolo11

Hello again. Ok, I know this thread is to help people out. I want to be champion one day but in order to do that, I need super help. I main Ryu and he is my main no matter what. I want to level up. Can anyone play with me this weekend and coach me at the same time please? I'm so hungry grrrr....

I need help on mirror matches, Ken, Karin, Necalli, Bison, Birdie, Vega.

Can you help me? I'm desperate. I am not good I admit but I know the basics. I got Skype too. PM me.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Yeah, I mean, I knew of it in theory. "Being in the corner is bad" and all. But I never really gave it much thought as a gameplan. "Get the opponent in the corner because being in the corner is bad." And of course there are expections, like characters that you just can't really corner. Dhalsim can teleport out, for instance, and a Nash with a full V-Trigger can burn it to get on the other side of you. But still, get the opponent cornered and stand juuust outside his attack range so he has to move forward to do anything, meaning he's open to getting hit, is devastatingly powerful, even in my newbie hands.

Yeah, but you've still limited their options, and if you know they're going to attempt a teleport, you've got the edge in that situation.

johnhandy

Any tips Chun's legs xx CA on stick? The timing is surprisingly tighter than I thought.
I've always treated it as two consecutive QCF+K inputs. First QCF+K will give you legs, and second QCF+K should cancel into the CA. Can do similar stuff with Ryu for DP/fireball xx CA. I think the first has to hit for the CA to come out.

I've always treated it as two consecutive QCF+K inputs. First QCF+K will give you legs, and second QCF+K should cancel into the CA. Can do similar stuff with Ryu for DP/fireball xx CA. I think the first has to hit for the CA to come out.

I can hit it on pad, but on stick it's harder because the timing is tight and inputting commands is fast on pad. I guess all I can do is keep practicing.

@Wreck

@Crab Milk Mickey

wow thats some excellent info man i'd hate to run into you online

thank you for sharing!

this thread is so cool, and i know it weird to say but so much less attitude/salt than srk

ohkay

Yeah, this is what I do with Cammy's Spiral arrow -> CA, or add a forward before the two QCF+K for Cannon Spike -> CA

AEREC

How do you pull off Gief's CA on the dpad? I can't seem to get the 720 motion unless I do it while he is in another action (jumping).

Wallach

I can hit it on pad, but on stick it's harder because the timing is tight and inputting commands is fast on pad. I guess all I can do is keep practicing.

You might be trying to do it too fast. Try slowing it down and being kind of deliberate on both QCF + K motions and then slowly increasing the input speed.

How do you pull off Gief's CA on the dpad? I can't seem to get the 720 motion unless I do it while he is in another action (jumping).

You generally do want to buffer 720 behind another input (or during something like block stun). It does help though to understand input leniency as there is a whole bunch of motions you can input to get a "720" that don't resemble two full circles. For example if you want to hit confirm into CA off lights, what I do is start from down back or back (since you can combo either st.LP or cr. LP into st.LK or cr.LK), do down back to up forward while LP is hitting, back/downback + LK to up forward + LP (CA). Basically two down back to up forward motions where you hit LP & LK when you are at the down back portions, then LP at the second up forward.

Neutral standing 720 is neat but not actually all that meaningful in my opinion. You want to learn how to buffer into it since you can actually combo into his CA in this game. A whole lot of attacks will cancel or link into super since it only takes 1 frame of hitstun advantage. So long as you can consistently get CA from stuff like dashes, V-Skill, blockstun and your combo opportunities that is where you should focus.

Josh5890

Hi folks. Sorry I haven't been around in a week or so. School and Fire Emblem have taken up most of my time. I've been playing a few games here and there. Always losing of course but tonight I just won my first match. I feel like a super star!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Ar7NFA8w4

I lost the first round but cleaned up in the last two. I have a lot of confidence now!

And then I lost my nest match.

Just had my first Sfv match. I like the look of Rashid so that's who I'm gonna go with. I have never really played a street fighter before.

I spent 10 mins the training room first and decided I would try get a couple of attacks down. What I was aiming for was (and please don't shout at me for not using the correct terms, I will learn them ok, give me time, stop shaking your head, stop yelling at me.)

Crouch R1, towards triangle square, down toward R1. I didn't manage to pull it all off.
Is there any really basic 2/3 hit combos for Rashid?

Anyway please check this out and give feedback.
I already expect people to say "stop fucking jumping"

http://youtu.be/-jAsu87jXME

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Anyway please check this out and give feedback.
I already expect people to say "stop fucking jumping"

http://youtu.be/-jAsu87jXME

Jumping's fine when Ken's just throwing fireballs that close to you. Just gotta convert that jump in into damage when you successfully get in.

Since you're so new though, I'd mainly just suggest reading up on the game's system info. Look up how the combos work etc. Get a sense of the general strategies driving the characters.

Jumping's fine when Ken's just throwing fireballs that close to you. Just gotta convert that jump in into damage when you successfully get in.

Since you're so new though, I'd mainly just suggest reading up on the game's system info. Look up how the combos work etc. Get a sense of the general strategies driving the characters.

Ok, cheers. Will start there.

laaame

Not sure if you have tried this but after doing the first qcf K, have the stick reset back to the neutral position, and then do the second qcf K. When I was trying to learn to super cancel or do instant air lightning legs on stick, I would try to do the motions in one movement and the inputs would be a mess.

Xhorder

Got my first promotion yesterday... w00h00... which makes me feel maybe a little less scrubby (but I still suck), which coincidentally was my first match against F.A.N.G. (who was pretty bad).

So far out of the 50 matches online I think I never played against Dhalsim. Most of the time it's either Ken, Nash, Ryu (like me) and Karin. All Necalli players seem to know what they are doing and kick my ass (Or I just don't know how to play against him).

Above Dhalsim guide is pretty cool and a great job writing it! He seems like an interesting character and I was already thinking about using him some day. He just seems pretty complicated to use. Maybe I'll start training with Dhalsim and see how far I can come.

Hi folks. Sorry I haven't been around in a week or so. School and Fire Emblem have taken up most of my time. I've been playing a few games here and there. Always losing of course but tonight I just won my first match. I feel like a super star!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Ar7NFA8w4

I lost the first round but cleaned up in the last two. I have a lot of confidence now!

And then I lost my nest match.
Congratulations on your win!

During your absence I commented on your previous video by the way. Be sure to check it out for some feedback.

So far out of the 50 matches online I think I never played against Dhalsim. Most of the time it's either Ken, Nash, Ryu (like me) and Karin. All Necalli players seem to know what they are doing and kick my ass (Or I just don't know how to play against him).

Above Dhalsim guide is pretty cool and a great job writing it! He seems like an interesting character and I was already thinking about using him some day. He just seems pretty complicated to use. Maybe I'll start training with Dhalsim and see how far I can come.
He is a rare sight to come by at all skill levels, for what it's worth. That said, Dhalsim is a simple enough character in terms of execution, however his complexity largely stems from decision-making and understanding the game's mechanics / character match-ups wholesale. He requires 'homework' to be proficient with him and at the pace Street Fighter V is going, that can be fairly demanding. Give him a try though if only for some self-taught experience whenever you do face him as an adversary.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Does your stick have an octagonal gate? I struggled with the square gate that came in the Chun Li TE2 and instantly did better when I popped a Sanwa octagonal one on it.

FSLink

Banned
Does your stick have an octagonal gate? I struggled with the square gate that came in the Chun Li TE2 and instantly did better when I popped a Sanwa octagonal one on it.

Another note, are you riding the gate when using a square gate? I feel like a lot of people who want to switch to octagon just ride the gate too much, and haven't learned to be more precise with their movements.

But it's personal preference of course. I prefer no octagon gate because it's easier to use charge characters, and I feel like once I learned not to ride the gate on a square gate, my inputs were much more precise.

I am not riding the gate. I'll try going back to neutral. I was definitely doing it in two movements.

Congrats everyone on your progress. Another big post coming today. Let's keep at it!

Since matchmaking has been a total bust for quite a while now (Haven't gotten a single match that's not 1-bar in 4 days), I've been playing with people from my area and a lot of them are pretty competent at the game, some started from IV and some from 3rd strike.

I've really been learning quite a lot and realized that I need to work a bit on my defense, my wakeup options to be precise. Anybody have any tips?

Reposting here since I suppose this is a better place to ask such questions.

Specifically, I've been having problems dealing with when to block, when to press buttons, when to try and tech throws and when to try an avoid an incoming command grab when I'm waking up.

Top Bottom