• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fighting Game Noob Thread: From Scrub to Master

McNum

Ah, just got out from an hour in the training room with Karin. Enough of that for now, but... Combo extension acquired! cr. MP, st. MP xx qcb+HK 240 damage, off a cr. MP, around 50% of the time, so it'll take some real matches to get used to using it. It's easy to link into cr. MP from most jumpins, so a j.HK/j.MK, cr. MP... starter is not really something I need to practice, it's easy enough.

I'll refresh it tomorrow and go fight real people with it. One or two cr. MPs aren't a rare thing in a Karin fight, so being able to convert those to 200+ damage will be quite useful. It also can be super-cancelled, but I don't know about that... still trying to think if losing Karin's only invincible reversal is worth it. I also attempted the xx qcf K~P launcher extension on that combo. I hit it once. Only once. It's most likely superior, but one step at a time. First learn a special cancel combo, then get fancy with it.

Still, tangible progress, but still only in the training room. Need to try it out for real.

Hassun

Neo Member
Some very interesting posts in this thread. Thank you for the information.

I've been playing fighting games since SFII and have been practicing a whole lot of SFV but I'm still very bad.
I play Zangief because he's the only character in SFV I like and have the ability to play. My execution and reactions are horrendous and even after 15+ years of trying I have never been able to play a charge character so my first and second choices (Dictator and Claw) were a no-go.

Last year I bought my first fight stick and I've been practicing with it since then. I think I've finally reached a point where my execution on fight stick is more or less as good as it was on controller.

Either way it's still a struggle, I've spent dozens of hours doing drills in SFV training mode so far and there are very few moves (let alone combos) I am able to do with any sort of consistency.

The goal I kind of set for myself is eventually reaching the gold ranking in SFV ranked mode but getting past 2000LP (the start of the Silver ranking) has turned out to be a huge struggle.
I hope some of the people here will be able to help me improve my game. My CFN ID is hahsun.

Going into casuals and I still can't anti-air for the life of me even though I had a pretty good handle on it in the training room. God I am so bad at stopping people from jumping on me.

McNum

My execution and reactions are horrendous and even after 15+ years of trying I have never been able to play a charge character so my first and second choices (Dictator and Claw) were a no-go.
Psst, check Vega's (Claw) move list in SFV. He's not a charge character anymore. Its all motions now. Just thought you should know.

Hassun

Neo Member
Psst, check Vega's (Claw) move list in SFV. He's not a charge character anymore. Its all motions now. Just thought you should know.
Oh I know. Because of that he was the first character I played in the beta. As soon as they revealed he was no longer going to be a charge character I thought that would be the character for me.

... but then I saw the combos and execution required to play him well.

ohkay

My execution seems to go out the window when I'm playing an actual person, but it's perfectly fine in training mode.

markwaters

Neo Member
My execution seems to go out the window when I'm playing an actual person, but it's perfectly fine in training mode.

You have to get real match experience to build the nerves and composure to execute under pressure! It takes time. Stick with it. Keep it simple until you're more familiar with the situations a common match puts you in. Once you have the ability to recognize those situations (i.e. when you can punish and when you can't), you can optimize your play accordingly

Keep practicing in training mode, and when the stakes are low, don't be afraid to risk trying the stuff you've practiced! When in doubt, keep it simple and pay attention to what's going on and what your opponent is doing.

wrongway

Man I suck. Not only have I been feeling too zonked in the evenings to want to play, but I forgot about the newbie thread. :[

You guys inspired me to upload some of my stuff too, both just for the fun of (hopefully) tracking my progress, and for getting some critique. There's not much up yet, but here's my list if anyone wants a look:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQGhp23HlbfL18PBxOJol45DwSjpco4LY

Got my first game up, my first win, and a few Karin games from last night, my third session. My brain kinda felt like mush last night but I wanted to get some practice in. Ended up flailing my way into Bronze. :D

I know the feeling. Doing double-quarter circles for CAs seems especially hard. I can do it like 99% of the time in training, but maybe 5% in live combat. :p

TheFlow

Banned
Been playing with the d pad for years and finally made the switch to a fights tick. How do I get good with it. I can't do shit

wrongway

My biggest problems are leaving damage on the table when the opponent does whiff, and I'm just at a loss on how to effectively apply pressure without getting blown up as soon as I move in on the opponent.

Thanks to those who have given critiques so far!
https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=B_Zr01fouyU&video_referrer=watch

Check your link, it seems to point to an editing page instead of a public address. :)

I'm still super, super bad at punishing too. A lot of the time I either autopilot out a sweep, or my brain just short-circuits on my combo. Smart pressure is hard too. I'm definitely still in the, "throw moves out and see what gets me blown up" stage.

ohkay

I'm still super, super bad at punishing too. A lot of the time I either autopilot out a sweep, or my brain just short-circuits on my combo. Smart pressure is hard too. I'm definitely still in the, "throw moves out and see what gets me blown up" stage.
Getting some kinda punish is better than nothing. I just go for sweep a lot too, but my timing is off for the punish and I get punished for the sweep.

wrongway

Getting some kinda punish is better than nothing. I just go for sweep a lot too, but my timing is off for the punish and I get punished for the sweep.

Yeah, that's always fun. Sweep is so amazingly good at getting yourself in trouble, it's kind of funny that it seems like a universal newbie instinct.

ShinMaruku

I think this is a good video to show how certain moves have certain ranges and angles to them to show how you can hit some oppenents in certain stances:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly3-n4ZtUxs

Brad Wong has some attacks that go low and he has some laying on ground stances, Phase 4's 6 p hits kind of low and is fast to hit him off the ground and allow her to punish such transitions.

nmkcqf.gif

Holy cow, Gandhi finally made a gaf account.

Xhorder

- A lot of aimless jumping indeed.
- Not enough forward movement through walking or dashing.
- Little gungho on the special attack usage, like Tatsumakis and Shoryukens being nowhere near the Ken player for example.
- Sweeps are regularly too close and are used too often.
- Subsequently, you need better punishes when someone does something equally as unsafe up-close, like those Vega slides.
- Your defense is lacking. Watch this video and also learn how to anti-air.
- You're too reliant on the target combo; the kick whiffs on crouching opponents and it's heavily punishable on block from fierce punch onwards.
- Not much in the way of a neutral game: the Ryu kept parrying your Hadokens because you weren't really pressuring afterwards, while also being too far.

Thanks for the advice. Still a lot to learn (not that I thought different).
The shoryuken coming out at the other side of the screen is me trying a hadoken, but failing... It usually doesn't happen, so consider it an incident.
The sweeps... man.. every time I do a sweep up close I should get an electrical shock or something (someone else mentioned this method here)... I keep doing it and I shouldn't.
Any advice on what I can do in my neutral game?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I always block in the 50/50 st.hk/throw mix-up against Bison, so this 5+k dictator just threw me like 7 times. He never even tried st.hk. I feel...violated.

ACE 1991

Check your link, it seems to point to an editing page instead of a public address. :)

Fixed. Thanks for the heads up!

I'll try to keep that in mind. I always feel I have not been too good at the neutral. Now here is my question you say I could punish wall dives with less effort? What moves should be used? People tell me that and yet when I try something I get smacked. What moves exactly. Until very recently I had shit for help.
Her back medium punch (the uppercut-looking normal) ought to suffice since it covers a sizeable area around her head from what I've seen, otherwise just find an air-to-air with good range to it since SFV gives ample time to react to Vega's wall dives without any prior conditioning or set-ups, especially if he jumps back to the opposite end of the screen like the one you faced did.

Also to clarify: Cannon Spike can be a valid solution too, but the wall dive has to be real deep in order for you to not whiff it like you did and secondly, more skilled Vega players will know the space where they can mess up your inputs when directly above you, similar to what Bison players tend to do with Devil Reverse.

Ah, just got out from an hour in the training room with Karin. Enough of that for now, but... Combo extension acquired! cr. MP, st. MP xx qcb+HK 240 damage, off a cr. MP, around 50% of the time, so it'll take some real matches to get used to using it. It's easy to link into cr. MP from most jumpins, so a j.HK/j.MK, cr. MP... starter is not really something I need to practice, it's easy enough.

I'll refresh it tomorrow and go fight real people with it. One or two cr. MPs aren't a rare thing in a Karin fight, so being able to convert those to 200+ damage will be quite useful. It also can be super-cancelled, but I don't know about that... still trying to think if losing Karin's only invincible reversal is worth it. I also attempted the xx qcf K~P launcher extension on that combo. I hit it once. Only once. It's most likely superior, but one step at a time. First learn a special cancel combo, then get fancy with it.

Still, tangible progress, but still only in the training room. Need to try it out for real.
Extending a combo with a Critical Art is fine if you're facing opponents that aren't really giving you much reason to use EX attacks if you're outplaying them with just fundamentals, or if you want to close out a round (unless you're playing catch-up after losing the first one). Certainly worth putting some practice into it all things considering. It also helps that the execution in this game is lenient enough to allow for a wide window to buffer the CA motion in between other manoeuvres without much difficulty once you have a feeling for it.

Going into casuals and I still can't anti-air for the life of me even though I had a pretty good handle on it in the training room. God I am so bad at stopping people from jumping on me.
It helps if you actively reposition yourself to your anti-air's sweet spot as you're anticipating a jump, even if it's only a minimal difference of going forwards or backwards. Here's another, more elaborate practicing method too.

My biggest problems are leaving damage on the table when the opponent does whiff, and I'm just at a loss on how to effectively apply pressure without getting blown up as soon as I move in on the opponent.

Thanks to those who have given critiques so far!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Zr01fouyU
Little reminder about your jump-ins: Ryu's aerial MP is rather situational, in that it's only really suitable for air-to-air encounters if you have a good read on your opponent's jumping rhythm. Against the Karin there were multiple jump-ins where you could've realistically started applying pressure, especially because she wasn't really anti-airing, but said move didn't connect outright. You missed a number of cross-ups as a result and your general high-low game was less threatening because of said misses. You need to have a closer look at which of Ryu's buttons work at which distances in this context. Outside of that, you're also leaving other options on the table: not spending your EX meter nor really utilizing your V-Gauge in any which way as well.

You've made some improvements though so keep practicing.

Thanks for the advice. Still a lot to learn (not that I thought different).
The shoryuken coming out at the other side of the screen is me trying a hadoken, but failing... It usually doesn't happen, so consider it an incident.
The sweeps... man.. every time I do a sweep up close I should get an electrical shock or something (someone else mentioned this method here)... I keep doing it and I shouldn't.
Any advice on what I can do in my neutral game?
Nothing concrete I can give you other than what I listed previously. Having a good neutral game boils down to having the right amount of patience, knowing how to defend yourself on the ground by blocking + anti-airing + recognizing when the enemy is vulnerable and not overextending yourself by throwing around unsafe attacks (like how often you used the target combo) if you want to mount an offense. There's more to it on an advanced skill level, but this should suffice where you're at right now and you should moreso be concentrating on how to break your opponent out of their comfort zone with standard decision making.

One obvious example I can give you: when you want to throw a fireball, it has to be for a purpose. If the enemy engages you in a fireball war, you could use an EX Hadoken for two hits and move in closer after it connects. If you pushed someone into the corner, a fireball at the right distance and timing forces them to make a call; jump over it, react with their own projectile, block and wait for what happens next, expend an EX attack (or something else) to bypass it on the ground, et cetera. With enough of a gap between you two, you can react to all of these possibilities - so if they jump you could hypothetically Shoryuken it if you hunker down - and even if they successfully escape with an EX Attack or a V-Reversal like's Nash, at minimum you forced them to spend meter that they ideally would've liked to use offensively, reducing their available options.

Knowing the extent of a character's capabilities takes time, but situational awareness is key in fighting games.

I always block in the 50/50 st.hk/throw mix-up against Bison, so this 5+k dictator just threw me like 7 times. He never even tried st.hk. I feel...violated.
It's indeed a scary mix-up. If you're not doing something to halt his forward dashes, then you're already putting yourself in quite the predicament.

Tornix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygKSnBIQq84

Can someone explain to me why this works?
Karin's charged V-Skill is -1 on block, but apparently you are plus if you do it meaty(?).

Why? Floe talks about "frame killing", is that it?

Think of it this way: Charge v-skill has 5 active frames or 5 frames where it'll hit. If they block it on the first active frame, she'll have a recovery of -1.

Now doing a meaty means you're connecting on one of the later active frames (2-5) . And since block stun is the same amount of frames no matter when it hits, she'll end up being plus. This is also how you can link normals that don't normally link.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh thanks, that's a great explanation. I've never really seen it done with normals, though? I have to try it now.

Wallach

Oh thanks, that's a great explanation. I've never really seen it done with normals, though? I have to try it now.

It's the same principle with any normal, and the more common usage of meaty attacks. Any time you are close enough to attack while your opponent is getting up, you have the opportunity to use a normal that can have the active frames already out on the first frame they become vulnerable. Necalli is a good character to practice this with as he has some very powerful meaty setups; st.LK for example is incredibly good as a meaty because it is very fast (making it impossible to react to whether the meaty attempt will be normal or command grab and making you commit to a guess), and has enough active frames that if it hits meaty you can link into st.MK (which won't link normally) for a combo.

Every character has good reason to use a meaty wakeup attack as they provide even greater advantage on hit/block than they would otherwise, but the main thing you want to investigate is what new options actually become available off that increased advantage (like those links that otherwise aren't possible, or making a normally unsafe move unpunishable). They also just in general beat a lot of wakeup options and further pressure your opponent into considering an invincible wakeup reversal to escape, so you make them afraid of how hard those meaty setups are to deal with then bait out the reversal and punish them for that instead.

markwaters

Neo Member

Karin's charged V-Skill is -1 on block, but apparently you are plus if you do it meaty(?).

Tornix explained the first part of this, but "frame killing" is essentially just whiffing moves to time setups more accurately by removing some of the guess work. In this setup, Floe uses a whiffed cr.MP after the combo to "kill frames" before the meaty V-skill to make the setup work reliably and give him the best chance at hitting it as meaty as possible. If they don't tech up, another jab serves the same purpose after the first V-skill.

h0mebas3

Hello Everyone,

After a death in the family, I had to handle things and took a hiatus from a lot of things...but it's time to start having fun again.

If my previous mentors aren't available (understandable as they may now have students) I would be most grateful for your assistance, promise to meet regularly and work hard.

Platform:
PS4

Region:
West Coast

Mentor Needed For:
Tekken TT2 (preparation for Tekken 7) - Devil Jin
Guilty Gear XRD - Ky
SFV - Karin

Again apologies for being away, and if anyone has time, I would really appreciate the help.

Kuksune

I have started playing GGXRD and VF again after a little break.

In GGXRD i'm quite satisfied that my defense with Potemkin is good. I still get stomped online but i'm really trying to win. I get a win sometimes but have a hard time to stick the throws :p

You are positive with that setup because a move has multiple active frames. Usually when you look at frame data on the spreadsheet, they assume you landed the attack on the earliest active frame, but in many cases due to distancing, timing, etc. an attack can land on the later active frames while blockstun and hitstun remain consistent when the move lands (Active frames come right after startup frames). The whiffing of the move before doing the V-Skill is for timing purposes, so when the V-skill makes contact with the opponent, it is near the last active frame, while the opponent is put in the same amount of blockstun if the skill landed normally, so in this case Karin recovers relatively faster than her opponent.

Example with numbers: A charged Karin V-Skill activates on the 21st frame, if it lands on the earliest active frame against a block it is -1 frame advantage. If the skill lands on the block on it's 3rd active frame, then -1 + 2 = +1, and thus Karin has frame advantage.

Femto.

Haven't posted here in a while, so I've been playing SFV since launch and I really wanted to pick up Vega, I was able to get up in the 800s LP with him. Then I started struggling with him, I picked up Chun and I like playing as her a lot.Yet I went back to Vega today and learned a couple of combos, but I still struggle with him.

Any tips for a Vega scrub?

Edit: I think he's too technical for me to be honest.

Edit 2: This is the first SF I've attempted to get moderately-intermediately good in.

f0rk

Started off well today and got to 950lp or something, then had a loss streak of 15 games. I think I'm naturally a more defensive player, and I keep getting blown up by Kens and Ryus who jump and attack constantly. I got matched against mostly 1000-1500 players and they were generally a bit safer than the ones I beat at 500 with blockstrings but I still feel like I'm getting scrubbed out.

If anyone wants to give some feedback to my Chun my ID is f0rk123. From this loss streak I think I need to work on my defense / AA and getting people off of me. Also need to use the combos I can do in actually games, do random cr.mk into legs less and actually use v trigger cos at the moment I never do,

Haven't posted here in a while, so I've been playing SFV since launch and I really wanted to pick up Vega, I was able to get up in the 800s LP with him. Then I started struggling with him, I picked up Chun and I like playing as her a lot.Yet I went back to Vega today and learned a couple of combos, but I still struggle with him.

Any tips for a Vega scrub?

Edit: I think he's too technical for me to be honest.

Edit 2: This is the first SF I've attempted to get moderately-intermediately good in.
Vega's indeed on the rather technical side given his stance swapping mechanic for some of his combo pressure and to sneak in a command grab in between blockstrings. If you're enjoying him regardless of that, continue playing, 'cause (as silly as it sounds) fun can be a huge motivator to improve your grasp of any given character.

Femto.

Vega's indeed on the rather technical side given his stance swapping mechanic for some of his combo pressure and to sneak in a command grab in between blockstrings. If you're enjoying him regardless of that, continue playing, 'cause (as silly as it sounds) fun can be a huge motivator to improve your grasp of any given character.
Yeah that is where I struggled with him, no matter how much I landed some of that stuff in training it was different online.

I was actually having fun with him at first, until I tried Chun out and I realized I actually had more fun with her. I reached Super Bronze tonight for the fourth time (I keep getting leagued down lol) with Chun and I'm having fun. I need to get back in the lab with her and learn some more stuff.

Going back to Vega felt more like a chore, if that makes sense? I probably won't give up on him entirely just yet because I just think he looks so damn cool. I tend to pick characters who I find cool looking, and I'm tempted to try Cammy once we can buy her pre-order costume. Yeah I'm the worst lol

I haven't read all the thread, so I'm sorry if was already posted somewhere, but is there a good video to learn the basics of street fighter v? Like how to move during the game and such. There are lots of videos but I don't know which one is better

Yeah that is where I struggled with him, no matter how much I landed some of that stuff in training it was different online.

I was actually having fun with him at first, until I tried Chun out and I realized I actually had more fun with her. I reached Super Bronze tonight for the fourth time (I keep getting leagued down lol) with Chun and I'm having fun. I need to get back in the lab with her and learn some more stuff.

Going back to Vega felt more like a chore, if that makes sense? I probably won't give up on him entirely just yet because I just think he looks so damn cool. I tend to pick characters who I find cool looking, and I'm tempted to try Cammy once we can buy her pre-order costume. Yeah I'm the worst lol
Him feeling like a chore makes 'sense' given his higher execution barrier and subsequently the amount of time it takes to grow some muscle memory for him. Nothing wrong with you putting your attention elsewhere because of that.

I haven't read all the thread, so I'm sorry if was already posted somewhere, but is there a good video to learn the basics of street fighter v? Like how to move during the game and such. There are lots of videos but I don't know which one is better
Cross Counter introducing Xavier Woods to Street Fighter V (a three-parter) as well as their Basics tutorials (Offense, Defense, Throws) should be sufficient for now. You can look into the other resources listed in the OP afterwards if there are still any lingering questions.

You jump too much. Playing against and as grapplers, staying grounded and having a good neutral is very important in how the match should flow. You're limiting your options in how you can react to situations in both videos you linked and even though your opponent didn't really do much of it, you're highly susceptible to anti-airs to the point it could've easily lost you a round, if not more. Use your backwards / forward dashes more often or (in Laura's case) her V-Skill when attempting to approach the other player, since most characters in Street Fighter V cover more ground that way in a shorter amount of time. This in turn makes your jumping patterns more unpredictable too. Lastly, make a habit out of neutral jumping at different spaces if people like to push buttons or throw out special attacks. If you're up-close to someone it can be used for high-low mix-ups or whiff punishes (like if you expect someone to throw), and from the mid-screen you could connect a juicy combo on certain whiffed attacks from afar like Zangief's running bear grab. Beyond that, still sweeping too much (even though you're aiming to space them out properly) rather than using a variety of normals at different distances.

Speaking of Laura though: don't use her projectile defensively against F.A.N.G and by extension Dhalsim. Theirs are curved so they completely ignore Laura's no matter the duration of your charge if their aim is accurate, and in Dhalsim's case he could go for a teleport combo or standing fierce punch without much trouble.

Femto.

I haven't posted any of my SFV footage on here, go ahead and critique my last match I had before retiring to bed tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGbny_UICoo

I've been getting less anxious and have toned down on a lot of my mashing. I still need to work on execution, use of her pokes, and I hardly use Chun's V-trigger. I'll be studying for finals for the next two weeks. I'll probably learn about frame data between now until spring break when I'm taking a break from studying.

Edit: Also, I seemed to noticed that there are an ocean of Kens and Ryus sub 1000 LP. I hope higher ranks have more variety :( If i can get there.

markwaters

Neo Member
this thread feels like an SFV OT thread nowadays.

Well, what kind of stuff would you like to see from this thread? A larger game variety, I assume? SFV is the "new thing" right now, so a lot of new players are getting into SFV specifically.

Personally, I think a lot of the fundamental stuff being discussed re: SFV translates well at the very least to other 2D games across the board. And it's a great starting point, so even if it's dominating the conversation at the moment, I don't think it's totally a bad thing. I'd love to see discussion about other games as well though!

As a total 3D novice, I'd love more Tekken/DOA/VF stuff too! I really like reading it but unfortunately haven't much to contribute.

Top Bottom