• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flame in the Flood has its best debut on Switch - "Smashed expectations"

Realeza

Banned
I just checked the trailer on the eShop and this looks amazing.

How the fuck are these games dropping outta nowhere? Thursdays are becoming like Xmas days for Switch owners.

Great news. I hope Nintendo releases a figure on how many digital titles a Switch owner buys per month. Perhaps the next financial meetings they will hopefully do so.

tebunker

Banned
I don't know for the Xbox but those PS4 owner i know is waiting these king of game get free in PS+

Thats the damned truth. I know there were many indie games on ps4 where I had the same thought. Coupled with the thought I could just buy them on steam for less.

Ps+ definitely established that mindset though.

Opa-Pa

Never heard of this before... That does look pretty great, added it to my wishlist! It's really heartwarming to read indie success stories like this and I hope quality indies can keep this momentum for as long as possible.

I just checked the trailer on the eShop and this looks amazing.

How the fuck are these games dropping outta nowhere? Thursdays are becoming like Xmas days for Switch owners.

Pretty much.

Wozman23

The game is great! One of my favorites from the year.

The kickstarter original caught my eye, but I didn't pick it up until the beginning of this year (on PS4) because I've never been able to get into a survival game.

It looks gorgeous, the soundtrack is amazing, and there's a really nice balance to the crafting mechanics that allows you to play multiple ways. It was a joy to platinum.

I don't know for the Xbox but those PS4 owner i know is waiting these king of game get free in PS+

PS+ and Games With Gold seem like amazing programs for the indies that are lucky enough to be included in them, but a nightmare for those who are not. I would imagine a large portion of the Sony and MS customer base have been conditioned to find little value in most indie releases because of these initiatives.

That's not to say they aren't good programs for consumers. I'm trying to look at it from the perspective of an indie team.

The Switch must have a crazy good attach rate just like the Vita did. There's a hell of an audience for portable indie experiences.

Great news. I hope Nintendo releases a figure on how many digital titles a Switch owner buys per month. Perhaps the next financial meetings they will hopefully do so.

They almost never discuss sales of eshop only titles at their results briefings, but I'm hoping that will change now that there is a lot of buzz around the Switch eshop.

It would significantly alter the software attach rate- I currently have 6 retail games and 19 eshop only games for instance.

jimboton

73 Metacritic, 78% positive 'Mixed' rating on Steam, was 1$ on a bundle this summer. Exactly the sort of game that only ever suddenly becomes relevant and thread worthy when it's announced on Switch.

It does look interesting though. Edit: it's 78% positive, so not that bad..

Good for them. But it's a game I would never buy on other consoles simply because of the vast amount of better games to buy and play. Even if I get it for free from plus or live. I'd probably never play it.

Have to admit I've never heard of this game.

I’m with you.. >95% of my play time is on the TV. I adore the ability to pick up my pro controller, hit the Home button, and within seconds my TV has turned on, with the input automatically turned to the Switch, and with my game on the screen, ready to go.
You just described all three current gen consoles.

Aaron D.

I hope the “STAHVING” meme never ends. So much fun, so much salt.

Heh.

Reminds me of those 80's teen movies where the high-school loser suddenly becomes popular and then turns into an a-hole overnight, completely forgetting his roots and acting just like his former high-school bullies.

Nintendo fans are starved. Nintendo fans get games. Nintendo fans are suddenly insufferable about it.

Fiendcode

You're aware that 170 games is a limited number ? Especially since you factor basically EVERYTHING ?
There's no excuse in saying the competition on Switch is far lower, with so many games skipping the platform.
180 isn’t exactly limited for a system that’s half a year old.

The competition argument is really just a variation on the now ridiculed starving argument. In reality no console has grown this competitive an indie scene this fast, Switch is far outpacing even PS4 launch aligned in terms of how quickly it’s accruing indie games. Add to that the traditional 3rd parties who are showing up are generally putting out retro and lower price games that more directly compete with indie fare (Sonic Mania, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Namco Museum, Arcade Archives, I am Setsuna, Disgaea 5, USF2, Bomberman R, Mana Collection, etc, etc) and Nintendo’s highly competitive 1st party games also have much overlap with this same target audience. And despite all this indie games are still contually breaking records on Switch sales wise, it’s almost a meme itself at this point (as are the tired counter arguments against it).

At a certain point you just have to step back and reevaluate exactly why indie games are doing so well on the system. We’re at the point now where logic fails when you try to explain it away as a lack of competition, in reality there is overwhelming competition on the system for indies.

Zarovitch

PS+ and Games With Gold seem like amazing programs for the indies that are lucky enough to be included in them, but a nightmare for those who are not. I would imagine a large portion of the Sony and MS customer base have been conditioned to find little value in most indie releases because of these initiatives.

That's not to say they aren't good programs for consumers. I'm trying to look at it from the perspective of an indie team.

Yeah it's good for consumers, but our mindset now lost how game worth.
Steam sales does that for me, i must really want a game to buy it at full price.

The Switch, for the portability, make me take some indies (Like Stardew Valley) even if i could buy it on Gog or Steam at a smaller price.

DrArchon

Great news for the devs. I got this at launch on Steam, but I knew it didn't do all that well there, which was a huge shame because it was a cool game with a lot of flavor.

That said, I don't really feel compelled to buy this again, but good on them for finally getting the success they deserve.

andthebeatgoeson

I wonder if the psychology of the Switch being a portable as well as a home console is helping these games sell more than other platforms (in addition to the current lack of massive competition, of course). People always scoff at indies being part of PS+ and Games with Gold because they bought their machines to play "AAA Games not indie crap". I've always been more comfortable with buying smaller / indie games on handhelds myself, and given the choice right now I'd always prefer to buy them on the Switch just because of the portability of it (and because I'm travelling more).
I know when i buy it on switch, good or bad, it'll be a short experience that i can get thru quickly due to the Switch's availability in my life(portable can be played anywhere). Steamworld dig 2, for example. 16 hours, mostly complete and i was in heaven, playing it in the bathroom, when work slows down, in the bed, etc. Then i get sucked in and it's a very pleasant experience having this game 'closer' than a TV.

ryushe

Been playing it nonstop since yesterday. It's brutal but damn fun.

Really hope The Long Dark or Don't Stave comes soon. The Switch is perfect for these types of games.

That's great for these guys - but I don't think it reflects well on the Switch library. It's a nice looking game, but not fun to play, at all.

Hero

I never said that. I said the competition on Switch is smaller. It's true that Switch doesn't offer, yet, the same range of game as other platforms. It does indeed explain why some indies can make a better place for themselves. Now lack of competition being positive on Switch doesn't apply to lack of competition not doing shit for Wii U.

Also, you can also read my post: I'm answering to someone who's going on an ironical "but I thought Switch had no games" tirade, to prevent criticism, as if saying the competition on Switch is fairly limited was some sort of dumb statement.

Competition was smaller on Wii U too, but games bombed on that left and right, so there's obviously more to it than just that. I did read your post, and I'm not sure why that poster warranted a response from you, since the theme the past few months is "____ game is successful on Switch! thread" and then some posters come in saying "Well duh Switch has no games and owners are starved." Which to some degree was very true in March, true in April, less true in May, so on and so forth. For being barely half a year old and having some of the highest quality indies already on the system, these other indie games finding success would tell a rational person that there's more to the story than just competition.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Can anyone who has picked it up comment on the undocked performance? I enjoyed the game on PC, and if performance is alright I'll definitely double dip. I can't even find undocked screenshots for this.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That's great for these guys - but I don't think it reflects well on the Switch library. It's a nice looking game, but not fun to play, at all.

Its not like the Switch libary would change or be better if this game would have flopped on Switch - dont quite get your point.

There’s over 170 games on the eShop and Switch is only 7 months old. The time for this excuse has passed.
It will be easier for these games now compared to 3-4 years from now when there are far more games on the system. I don't understand how that is an "excuse". It is common sense.

Heh.

Reminds me of those 80's teen movies where the high-school loser suddenly becomes popular and then turns into an a-hole overnight, completely forgetting his roots and acting just like his former high-school bullies.

Nintendo fans are starved. Nintendo fans get games. Nintendo fans are suddenly insufferable about it.

To be honest this post is about as annoying as any I've seen on the topic. Nintendo owners are like "high school losers turning into a-holes overnight"...

What the heck..?

Zedark

GI.biz just had a recent article explaining that it was the lack of competition compared to other marketplaces.

Combine that with the fact that Switch owners actually are buying nuts amounts of games (as explained by Mat from the NPD group), and we have a winning formula for all games that are available.

phanphare

Banned
Switch owners hungry

steve-smith-bowl-of-soup-celebration.gif

GOAT

Majora

It must help that Nintendo are now the only major platform holder really pushing indies to their customers via conferences. Microsoft gave up on really promoting indies a long time ago outside of rare exceptions like Ori and Cuphead.

Sony appeared to pick up where MS left off at the start of the generation but now they don't even include a sizzle reel of indies at their E3 conferences and it's become increasingly clear that they don't see indies as worth promoting as much as they used to.

Meanwhile, Nintendo push indies heavily in both their main Nintendo Directs and in dedicated Nindie showcases. They're cultivating an environment where their players are being actively pushed to check out what the indie scene has to offer, whereas MS and Sony are not. I believe the work Nintendo is putting into heavily pushing indies is paying off because they're not treating them like second class afterthoughts.

Now, of course, I'm not suggesting this is all selflessly big hearted of Nintendo. While Switch has had a great first year, there are gaps in Nintendo's first party output that isn't being filled with AAA third party titles. Not yet anyway. So pushing indies makes sense because they can fill the gaps in Nintendo's own schedule.

But whatever the reason for Nintendo pushing indies, it's great to see that it's paying dividends for the indie developers themselves. And it's just nice to see a platform holder throw their weight behind them after seeing MS and Sony withdraw from that.

I get wanting to play games on the go.

I don't get wanting that so much one basically ignores games until you can.

Good games are good games. It is ace if a zeitgeist gives them new life, but where were you guys before? Long before the Switch was known of, many of these games were available and... good.

Edit: to the above, MS push reels and interviews at E3 and other major events. What was in their show this year? Infamously, not many MS publishes games, and not all 3rd party AAA stuff either.

180 isn't exactly limited for a system that's half a year old.

The competition argument is really just a variation on the now ridiculed starving argument. In reality no console has grown this competitive an indie scene this fast, Switch is far outpacing even PS4 launch aligned in terms of how quickly it's accruing indie games. Add to that the traditional 3rd parties who are showing up are generally putting out retro and lower price games that more directly compete with indie fare (Sonic Mania, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Namco Museum, Arcade Archives, I am Setsuna, Disgaea 5, USF2, Bomberman R, Mana Collection, etc, etc) and Nintendo's highly competitive 1st party games also have much overlap with this same target audience. And despite all this indie games are still contually breaking records on Switch sales wise, it's almost a meme itself at this point (as are the tired counter arguments against it).

At a certain point you just have to step back and reevaluate exactly why indie games are doing so well on the system. We're at the point now where logic fails when you try to explain it away as a lack of competition, in reality there is overwhelming competition on the system for indies.

"overwhelming competition".
No. Overwhelming competition for indies is on Steam or to a lesser extent, on PS4 and maybe Xbox One. Basically, we're talking here platforms with a LOT of weekly releases, high profile AAA games to a wealthy release of indies.

The competition argument isn't a variation, it's basically the non-trollish way to say the platform is new and the release schedule is still fresh and slow. Which means, smaller profile releases and also more sparse schedule.

I mean, the very fact you took games like USF2HD or Bomberman R or even Neogeo ports as competition to the indie fare is pretty much telling about the lack of competition.

Also, I stand again on "doing well" not being a general metric. It is a good thing for the devs claiming that, but doing well isn't the same dev to dev and hence why concrete numbers are more important than "did better on Switch than on X platform". A good exemple was that game who did as much on Switch in 1 month than on Steam in 1 year. Sure, it means for this dev it was doing better or doing well. But in concrete number, we were talking about a game selling 18k units. Which is why, if you want to draw a picture of the landscape, you need actual data rather than statements. And on top of that, you also need to look for the context around it. There's also no denying that some indie games are more suited to the Switch audience. I wouldn't be surprised if a game like Yooka Laylee or Hat in Time would perform better on Switch for exemple.

Top Bottom