• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S2 |OT2| Jays of Future Past - Tuesdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanee

I've watched a bunch of reaction videos for the finale and there is one common theme at the end when they all realise he's doing what he did in Flashpoint, they all call him either dumb or an idiot. lol.

PreFire

Maybe it only works if you're the one grabbing your time remnant?

Lol they even tried to explain the time remnant thing and it still made no sense.

They should have just said, when you go back a few moments and grab your past self, it's from an (or creates) alternate timeline that doesn't effect the original speedster's timeline.. meaning he won't die if his alternate timeline self does. But, it would create an alternate timeline without a Flash lol

Time travel shit is ridiculous. If Barry, actually went back in time to save his mom's life, that would create another singularity, because all the events that lead up to Barry becoming the Flash--never get to happen (remember, THIS Barry becomes the flash 5 years earlier because of Thawne), meaning he doesn't even get to go back in time to save her in the first place. The whole reverse flash arc erased.. Everything we saw happen, erased. Not to mention the number of Flash's already there, taking a part in the whole thing..

Creating an alternate timeline is more believable (lol) than being able to change the past in the current one.

My head hurts trying to type this shit out lol

CloudWolf

But my issue with this is that Eobard Thawne should not have been erased from existence when Eddie killed himself, because like you said, Eobard and the future had already happened, so why did Eddie offing himself mean that Eobard had to go too? Shit makes no sense.

I dare the writers to explain it tbh.

It's impossible to explain. It's one of those paradoxes where if you use it as solution for the plot you always end up with with a major inconsistency. Eobard either shouldn't have disappeared because the future and past have already happened and rely on Eobard being alive (which wouldn't work as an ending, because nothing would change), or Eddie shooting himself would reset the entire timeline since Eobard has never existed, which means he never went back in time to kill Barry, which means Barry's mom is alive, which means Eobard never set up the reactor, etc... And even then you would still end with an inconsistency, since if Eobard never existed Eddie would've had no reason to shoot himself so logically if Eobard doesn't exist, Eddie shouldn't be dead which means that Eobard exists, which means that nothing changed.

He is back where he was at the first season. Sole vigilante for the moment. Flash doesn't need to do anything for arrow to reach this point.

Nah man,
Felicity is still there. She will always be there.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Someone put up the end of the flashpoint comic on Imgur, if you're interested. Even though the way the show handles it will undoubtedly be different, DON'T CLICK THE LINK IF YOU'RE GOING TO BITCH ABOUT SPOILERS!

http://imgur.com/gallery/bM7xJ

Such a great moment.

Although I hope that they don't try to crib this if they do a tv adaptation of Flashpoint. Or at the very least they don't try to use Arrow as a Batman stand-in, as usual. Oliver's parents are both dead now, but he has sorta moved past that. Bruce's parents dying is what set off him wanting to become a vigilante, Oliver would have done it either way because of what happened on the island. I don't think Oliver needs the same level of emotional catharsis about the death of either of his parents that Bruce obviously does. Something with Tommy Merlyn would hit the right spot though.

I really wish the stinger would have handled it differently. Showing Barry's selfish act right off the bat is an odd decision and takes the initial mystique away from the story. They should have taken bigger cues from Flashpoint and had Barry talk to Iris on the porch about defeating Zoom and how it doesn't feel that satisfying and then have Barry's mom call him inside the house for dinner or something. Really get that "WTF?!" response from the viewer, and also not have it revealed how and why the world is suddenly different. Like they literally revealed a huge plot point from the story as the introduction to the story.

Maddocks

Someone put up the end of the flashpoint comic on Imgur, if you're interested. Even though the way the show handles it will undoubtedly be different, DON'T CLICK THE LINK IF YOU'RE GOING TO BITCH ABOUT SPOILERS!

http://imgur.com/gallery/bM7xJ

I would love love LOOOVVVEEEEE it if that was Barry and Oliver since they are def not going to use the comic version. It would be amazing and nothing would be able to top that moment for me if they did it live action.

ZeroX03

Banned
My current theory is that Barry will be in a divergent timeline for an episode or two while the rest of the Arrowverse and Flash cast continues on like normal. So when Barry gets back it'll be like he's lost six months or something.

If we don't get the letter scene it'll be one hell of a missed opportunity.

Not really answers, just speculation from actors. Writers are just getting into it now.

My current theory is that Barry will be in a divergent timeline for an episode or two while the rest of the Arrowverse and Flash cast continues on like normal. So when Barry gets back it'll be like he's lost six months or something.

If we don't get the letter scene it'll be one hell of a missed opportunity.

Not really answers, just speculation from actors. Writers are just getting into it now.
Yeah this what I was thinking, maybe since Flash has changed time so much that this is the new Flash missing?

Kyoufu

Won't there be like an army of Time Wraiths after Barry now? Dude has been seriously molesting the Speed Force. Like, it's not even funny, there should be a Time Wraith Lord after him by now at least, no?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Won't there be like an army of Time Wraiths after Barry now? Dude has been seriously molesting the Speed Force. Like, it's not even funny, there should be a Time Wraith Lord after him by now at least, no?
Technically Barry is correcting the timeline. The one we've been in these past two seasons is the "wrong" one.

Kyoufu

Technically Barry is correcting the timeline. The one we've been in these past two seasons is the "wrong" one.

Is he correcting it? I thought his mother being dead was supposed to be the correct timeline?

The one where Weather Wizard tsunami'd the city was the correct timeline right?

Pendas

Banned

I hope they use this, and Black Flash, in Season 3 as a reason for Barry to stop time travelling. It's getting ridiculous at this point and even the writers can't keep up with it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Is he correcting it? I thought his mother being dead was supposed to be the correct timeline?

The one where Weather Wizard tsunami'd the city was the correct timeline right?
No, we've never been in the "correct" timeline on the show.

The original timeline has both of Barry's parents living and him becoming the Flash five years later than what we see on the show. Thawne travels back in time and kills Barry's mother, getting stuck and starting the events of season 1.

Kyoufu

You're right morningbus, thanks. Pretty excited to watch the Flashpoint movie and then season 3 of Flash to see where they go with all this.

Shit makes no sense at times, but damn, what a fun show.

ZeroX03

Banned
Let's say hypothetically it was. Who should be the villain that Flash, Green Arrow, and Captain Cold are struggling to take down?

p6iUDd8.jpg

I would guess some big alien villain, if Supergirl is involved I doubt they'd go mystical.

No, we've never been in the "correct" timeline on the show.

The original timeline has both of Barry's parents living and him becoming the Flash five years later than what we see on the show. Thawne travels back in time and kills Barry's mother, getting stuck and starting the events of season 1.

Always found it cool that the show as we, the viewers know it is still actually an alternate timeline.

WillyFive

Glad the one true Flash Jay Garrick got his name cleared up; but he should have had a part in helping Barry defeat Zoom, instead of some nonsensical time remnant helping him.

Glad the one true Flash Jay Garrick got his name cleared up; but he should have had a part in helping Barry defeat Zoom, instead of some nonsensical time remnant helping him.
I think Barry's time remnant sacrificing himself would have had a lot more impact if Zoom didn't kill a bunch of his own time remnants without repercussions.

But yeah, Jay helping would have been better, too, except I guess there wouldn't be the self-sacrifice.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That would be fucking awesome lol

Could they use him?

Don't quote me on this, but I think Superboy is safe to use now. The rights for him were a mess for a long time, I think there was even a brief lawsuit over Smallville because it was essentially Superboy in everything except name. But I think Warner Bros got it all straightened out.

I'd like to see them figure a way to get Supergirl and her cast merged into the Arrowverse without bringing over Superman. Superboy Prime as a villain would be brilliant though.

Joni

Don't quote me on this, but I think Superboy is safe to use now. The rights for him were a mess for a long time, I think there was even a brief lawsuit over Smallville because it was essentially Superboy in everything except name. But I think Warner Bros got it all straightened out.

I'd like to see them figure a way to get Supergirl and her cast merged into the Arrowverse without bringing over Superman. Superboy Prime as a villain would be brilliant though.

They really need to kill her cousin. It is something I wish had already happened before Supergirl started, that she would appear in a world where she had to defeat the thing that killed her cousin.

Grizzlyjin

They really need to kill her cousin. It is something I wish had already happened before Supergirl started, that she would appear in a world where she had to defeat the thing that killed her cousin.

They really do. It's the biggest strike against Supergirl and its storytelling. They have to create big threats, but then come up with reasons why Superman isn't helping Kara. I'd rather they just say he was dead or off world over him sending text messages. If you can't show it all, don't tease us.

They really do. It's the biggest strike against Supergirl and its storytelling. They have to create big threats, but then come up with reasons why Superman isn't helping Kara. I'd rather they just say he was dead or off world over him sending text messages. If you can't show it all, don't tease us.
They came up with a reason already: Superman sucks and would just get owned in this universe.

ZeroX03

Banned
"Barry doesn't think before he feels."

Would've been nice if Kev had seen Arrow for the Flashpoint discussion, talking about bringing Martha and Thomas in because?

Joni

"Barry doesn't think before he feels."

Would've been nice if Kev had seen Arrow for the Flashpoint discussion, talking about bringing Martha and Thomas in because?

At the same time, Oliver won't have the same emotional impact for losing his parents. They were dead when he was an adult.

Poyunch

At the same time, Oliver won't have the same emotional impact for losing his parents. They were dead when he was an adult.

Still kinda fucked up having to hang out with your dad''s corpse on a flotation device after witnessing him sacrifice his life for you. And seeing your former survival buddy kill your mom when you had the chance to stop him before. Actually it can still kind of work.

Joni

Still kinda fucked up having to hang out with your dad''s corpse on a flotation device after witnessing him sacrifice his life for you. And seeing your former survival buddy kill your mom when you had the chance to stop him before. Actually it can still kind of work.

Indeed, but the five years on the island* and the mission to stop the Undertaking have given him some perspective there. He wouldn't have the same hang-ups. I don't think it would be as heartbreaking.

Kyoufu

Olivers dad barely matters on an emotional level to these characters tbh

Flashpoint green arrow should be Tommy

I agree with this. It's time to see Alpha Tommy.

Can we also get Black Siren back please. I'll never stop asking this question until they bring her back :p

Joni

I agree with this. It's time to see Alpha Tommy.

Can we also get Black Siren back please. I'll never stop asking this question until they bring her back :p

Well, Flash is retconning everything he fucked up away, so that is Black Siren included.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think for that moment to really pay off they would have needed to have done some groundwork in Arrow this season, but then again you could say that about a lot of what they do with Arrow & Flash so they will probably do it anyway.

ZeroX03

Banned

Oliver's crusade started with Robert's death and plea. The entire Arrowverse started from that moment to the viewer. Of course it'll have an emotional impact. Oliver gets affirmation from the person who inspired him and Robert knows that in a better timeline, Oliver did right his wrongs (er except Merlyn).

It works for Arrow thematically too because S5 is the season we should be coming full circle with the flashbacks. The list, returning to Starling City and becoming the Arrow. It's a fun crossover storyline for Flash that doesn't require using the lead Arrow actor - the scheduling nightmare - but has emotional resonance throughout the show's universe.

Or at least that's how things should play out. #ZeroForArrowverseEP

Binabik15

Finished S2. What a weak follow-up to a great first season and Zoom went from awesome to aweful. Meh. Finale was weak, I hate the constant time travelling and Barry, oh man, what an idiot he became. Is his helmet nit insulated enough and heat from friction started degenerating proteins in his head or what. Or maybe all that turbine shit with his arms has made his brain vibrate on another frequency, the special one.

I watched Daredevil S1 and S2 during the last few weeks and while it isn't as fun and charming as S1 of The Flash was I think I'll look forward to that in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom