• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards Nominees being announced [Update: Revealed - In OP]

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Smash and Mario Kart 8 are sequels in long running franchises that haven't changed the formula in 15 years. Sure, they are well made games, but they don't exactly push the boundaries... or entirely deserve something as prestigious as game of the year.

Also, Shovel Knight was nominated for best independent game.

Sorry about Shovel Knight, guess I overlooked that. About your reasoning, you are completely right - but this is the Game of the year, not the most innovative, boundary-pushing or something like that - which is something different and also very different form the kind of games they have used to let win and get nominated to those kinds of awards in earlier years. Also, I fail to see how Bayonetta, Dark Souls and Dragon Age are boundary-pushing either - but they are still nominated - probably deserved thanks to the quality of those games, but not for the reasons you gave for dismissing MK8 and Smash.

Shovel Knight is my game of the year btw.

Best Online Experience

Dark Souls II

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Keep earning that reputation, video game award shows.

Having a Best Remaster catergory to celebrate GTA V or TLOU again was the right move. Overall, some pretty soild, if predictable nominees. I'm actually kind of looking forward to this show this year.

Vire

Sorry about Shovel Knight, guess I overlooked that. About your reasoning, you are completely right - but this is the Game of the year, not the most innovative, boundary-pushing or something like that - which is something different and also very different form the kind of games they have used to let win and get nominated to those kinds of awards in earlier years. Also, I fail to see how Bayonetta, Dark Souls and Dragon Age are boundary-pushing either - but they are still nominated - probably deserved thanks to the quality of those games, but not for the reasons you gave for dismissing MK8 and Smash.

Shovel Knight is my game of the year btw.

The difference with Bayonetta and Dark Souls is that people aren't tired of that formula.

yet.

I'm not disparaging the quality of either Mario Kart 8 nor Smash. But they aren't exactly doing anything impressive or anything we haven't seen 5 times before; just another updated version of one of those.Best Picture or Album of the Year typically aren't sequels to long running franchises and they typically try and aim a bit higher than status quo. To be fair, I probably wouldn't have put Dark Souls II in the GOTY list, but it is what it is.

Vire

No Infamous SS for action/adventure? No LBP3 for family? No Driveclub for racer?

Infamous absolutely should have been put in for action adventure over AC Unity.

The other two are games that scored in the 70's on metacritic and one of them still is experiencing problems to this day. I don't really think they need to be celebrated.

matm666

The difference with Bayonetta and Dark Souls is that people aren't tired of that formula.

yet.

I'm not disparaging the quality of either Mario Kart 8 nor Smash. But they aren't exactly doing anything impressive or anything we haven't seen 5 times before; just another updated version of one of those.Best Picture or Album of the Year typically aren't sequels to long running franchises and they typically try and aim a bit higher than status quo. To be fair, I probably wouldn't have put Dark Souls II in the GOTY list, but it is what it is.

And how can you be so sure people is tired of MK and Smash formula? for me Smash for Wii U/3DS its going to be the second one I didn't play the 64 and Melee games. I dont think theres a lot o people who has played every single MK game. They should have been nominated for quality alone, the rest doesn't matter.

Vire

And how can you be so sure people is tired of MK and Smash formula? for me Smash for Wii U/3DS its going to be the second one I didn't play the 64 and Melee games. I dont think theres a lot o people who has played every single MK game. They should have been nominated for quality alone, the rest doesn't matter.

You might not be tired of it, but I've played every Smash until this one and I can tell you for sure I am incredibly bored of the formula. You have to remember that most of the panelists who are judging and creating the categories/nominations are all games journalists who have been reviewing games for ten years or in some cases more. They have seen and played all of the Mario Karts and Smashes. It just isn't exciting to them.

The Smash series actually changes less than the Call of Duty series from iteration to iteration. It's kind of remarkable.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What the fuck at DKC: Tropical Freeze not being nominated for Best soundtrack ? Seriously.

I think this seems to be the general consensus of the thread. By far the biggest snub. Some of those games on the list aren't even close.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

yet.

Are people really tired of that "formula" though? They seem to sell just fine. I havent played Shadow of Mordor, so wont comment on that one, but from the other games on the list, only Heartstone does something really new - the others are all updated version of an older formula with new levels and minor mechanics just like Mario Kart and Smash. Of course, I havent played Smash either, considering it releases here in about ten minutes - but my argument is that if the category is called Game of the Year - it should be the game with the highest overall quality - not the most innovative (which could easily be its own award). Or, if they really wanted to have it being most innovative - it should apply to all the games - not just those with a more famous name.

Zomba13

my choices (though I think it's bullshit how so many different kinds of games are lumped in "Action/Adventure).

Best Online Experience
Dark Souls II

Best Family Game
Mario Kart 8

Best Sports/Racing Game
Mario Kart 8

Best Role-Playing Game
Dark Souls II

Best Fighting Game
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (I am amusing the better controls will make me like this more than the 3DS)

Best Action/Adventure
Bayonetta 2

Best Shooter
Destiny

Best Remaster
Not played any yet

Games for Change
Not played any apart from Left behind and don't see how it fits the category

Best Performance
Melissa Hutchison as Clementine, The Walking Dead: Season Two

Best Score/Soundtrack
Transistor

Best Narrative
The Walking Dead: Season Two

Developer of the Year
Nintendo

Best Mobile/Handheld Game
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS

Best Independent Game
Transistor

Game of the Year
Bayonetta 2

Fans Choice:
Most Anticipated Game of 2015
The Witcher 3

Trending Gamer (wtf kind of category is this anyway? And wtf at TB being there with all the shit he's been doing in support of a hate movement)
Jeff Gerstmann

Best Fan Creation
Twitch Plays Pokémon

Trending Gamer isn't even a guess. With how big of a fanbase he as, PewDiePie is winning this.

Is he?

b391def10e.jpg

Before that, Jeff Gerstmann was winning.

Paganmoon

No infamous? and Troy Baker gets nominated for best performance for Talion, but not Delsin (which I think he did much better).

Best online Experience, where is Diablo 3: UEE? Easily best online experience I had this year.

Very meh at the list.

I think this seems to be the general consensus of the thread. By far the biggest snub. Some of those games on the list aren't even close.

Yeah, I was reading the thread just now and indeed, people are baffled. And rightfully so. Did Alien really have an award-worthy soundtrack ? I haven't played it, but from what I have seen online, the soundtrack never grabbed me.

Oh, and TotalBiscuit will win the online personality award because he supported Gamergate while Jeff didn't, and Reddit and 4chan will make sure he gets the votes.

I'm guessing the second pewdiepie puts out a tweet or a video mentioning it, the votes are pretty much gonna go entirely in his favor.
It's going to swing so fast it's not even funny. I gave a vote to Jeff and used my second account to vote for TB. But the votes won't even matter. Dat Pew power.

SZips

As long as TB doesn't win.

That's honestly how I feel about it as well. I voted for Jeff, I'd like to see Jeff win this, but even if he doesn't, I would honestly give it to PewDiePie before TB any day of the week. He may be annoying to people outside of his demographic but that man sure has found an act that works for him.

StoopKid

Infamous absolutely should have been put in for action adventure over AC Unity.

The other two are games that scored in the 70's on metacritic and one of them still is experiencing problems to this day. I don't really think they need to be celebrated.

A cpl games in those list have 70s metacritic.

Plus a game in the 70s really isn't that bad.

Remaster, remake; Its all semantics. In software engineering current source code is called the "Master" of the build. When software is released, it gets called the Gold Master. So remastering would imply they are redoing the master copy of the build. It still applies

I also covered the second part of your post in my previous post. most games are simple up ports, but then what would you call something like (to use the same example) Halo which not only remakes Halo 2 (and 1, 3, 4, but for this example lets forget they exist) but also includes Terminals (weren't in the original game), Modifier Skulls (weren't in the original game as toggleables), Forge, Theater or the new weapons/vehicles? In the literal term its still a remake because that's what the base is, but at the same time its not a simple remake. Because its 10 years old, it even fits the criteria for a good remake because its hard to play the original again given the time passed.

Its always good to award going above and beyond, even if in most years the above and beyond barely happens. But if you vote for the ones going above and beyond (in both awards and your wallet) that's how change begins to take root. Over time it slowly transitions from simple money grabs to money grabs which give you more value.

I'm a software engineer and I've never heard the term master used for a release. Are you referring to a disc used for duping?

Nobody is buying the re-releases for any reason other than pees and fps.

SykoTech

Wait, Most Anticipated is only between those 5 games? Really?

Ugh. Well, I guess it's either Arkham Knight or Uncharted 4 for me. Though I can see myself waiting for the GOTY versions in 2016 for both of those to be honest.

Telltale nominated? Oh lord, this developer should be openly mocked for their terrible practices and shouldn't receive any accolades from anyone in this industry.

Dolobill

Wow, decent GOTY nominees. I'm surprised. Would have liked to see Shovel Knight in there though instead of Hearthstone. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Bayonetta 2 wins GOTY. It's my game of the year.

Fbh

Mostly good nominees IMO.

Solid nominees for GOTY, I hope Bayonetta 2 wins but it's probably going to be Dragon Age, Mordor or Hearthstone

The two games that it's missing are:
- Donkey Kong. It could have easily been on the game of the year and best soundtrack
- Metro Redux: Seriously, take out The Last of Us: It's 2 remastered games vs 1, locked 60fps vs "targeting" 60fps, changes and updates to gameplay plus some remade areas vs basically setting the graphis option to "high" (I know it wasn't nearly that easy but that's what the result was like)

Top Bottom