• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit Part 3: TBOFA What was the worst part? Of this god awful film. *Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

hom3land

I loved the movie. Saw it in imax 3d and had a blast.

1. Why are Eagles always saving the day?

2. Could an elf and dwarf have a baby?

hohoXD123

Thorin throwing that metal ball at the bad guy so he falls under the ice. Such a silly scene, would have been one of the worst deaths in the entire series.

Legolas jumps to his defense because Boromir's getting all high and mighty on him like he's a scruffy Ranger when he's actually the heir to the throne of men. Also, given Aragorn's intimate relationship with the Elven people, it's safe to say they probably met at some point. But not when he was 11!

I can let Legolas slide in Hobbit. Like, just about. And that's only because if he's canonically Thranduil's son, it does kinda make sense for him to be around Mirkwood.

Windam

Scaley member
Legolas jumps to his defense because Boromir's getting all high and mighty on him like he's a scruffy Ranger when he's actually the heir to the throne of men. Also, given Aragorn's intimate relationship with the Elven people, it's safe to say they probably met at some point. But not when he was 11!

I can let Legolas slide in Hobbit. Like, just about. And that's only because if he's canonically Thranduil's son, it does kinda make sense for him to be around Mirkwood.

He is canonically Thranduil's son.

He is canonically Thranduil's son.

I know, I'm saying that in that sense it does make sense that he'd be present. Hell, Tolkien might have added him in himself in a rewrite, like he totally retconned Gollum straight up giving the ring away as a prize.

People forget that The Hobbit is a story mostly untouched by Lord of the Rings; it's incidental in its connection (though of course Bilbo stealing the ring becomes monumentally important to Lord of the Rings), because Tolkien had no conception or idea of LotR's story when he started writing it. That's why Jackson's insistence on linking them together in every "Anakin built C3P0" stupid ass way he can think of just pisses me off.

Kain

There was a film titled There and Back Again? :eek:

The third film was originally called that, then they changed it, so I guess he just got confused.

I don't really remember from the books, but if Legolas didn't meet Aragorn prior to LOTR that makes him the worst tracker ever. I was under the impression they met before, at least they knew of each other. If not, that little scene at the end, a part from being cringe personified, would have been even more pointless.

That the film wasn't that bad. Still a massive disappointment. And all my least favorite parts (Legolas platforming, Kate from Lost, pointless LOTR references) have been mentioned before. LOTR benefited from the Extended Edition. I think The Hobbit would benefit from a Reduced Edition. Cut out all the Kate, Legolas, and LOTR stuff and the movie wouldn't be that bad. It would still be missing bits on the other dwarves and Beorn, but it would be easy to cut out the most offensive bullshit.

Chococat

He makes this pretty clear to Thranduil, and seeing as how he cannot change his son's mind, sends him to meet with someone who has the potential to become a great leader in the future, especially against the forces of darkness.

Thranduil can't stop his son from leaving. He wants Legolas and the rest of the Mirkwood elves to be safe within Mirkwoods borders. Thranduil has already lost his wife, he would not want to be parted from his son any longer than need be. So why send his son on a quest to find "Strider" and give him a new purpose outside of Mirkwood's borders? For Thranduil, would it not be better to let his son go, wander aimlessly in the hopes he would get bored and return home?

Thranduil keeps to Mirkwood's borders- why would he have knowledge of Aragorn who is being raised in secrete by Elrond? It is not clear when Gandalf find outs, but it is clear that Elrond keeps the secrete even from Sarumon who doesn't discover the truth until TT when Worm Tongue describes Strider's ring.

If Elrond doesn't trust Sarumon, the head of the White Council, with Aragon's linage and claim, why and how would the information be transferred to Thranduil? It makes no sense- that is why the scene comes off stilted and awkward- it is not consistent within the Jackson movie universe..

Vashetti

Banned
That the film wasn't that bad. Still a massive disappointment. And all my least favorite parts (Legolas platforming, Kate from Lost, pointless LOTR references) have been mentioned before. LOTR benefited from the Extended Edition. I think The Hobbit would benefit from a Reduced Edition. Cut out all the Kate, Legolas, and LOTR stuff and the movie wouldn't be that bad. It would still be missing bits on the other dwarves and Beorn, but it would be easy to cut out the most offensive bullshit.

You'll find those scenes in the EEs.

I read that Peter Jackson would love to make a trilogy out of the silmarillion (they could make it into a movie trilogy, no naysaying), but can't get the rights. It may happen though in 10 years time.

Read this. It says how it could be adapted into a movie trilogy.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/02/20/86929-how-would-the-silmarillion-fare-as-a-film-trilogy/

Film 1 – The War of the Jewels
Film 2 – Beren and Lúthien
Film 3 – The End of an Age

A main plot point of this trilogy would be the fall of Gondolin, and the main characters in the Silmarillion are elves.

Windam

Scaley member
I read that Peter Jackson would love to make a trilogy out of the silmarillion (they could make it into a movie trilogy, no naysaying), but can't get the rights. It may happen though in 10 years time.

Read this. It says how it could be adapted into a movie trilogy.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/02/20/86929-how-would-the-silmarillion-fare-as-a-film-trilogy/

Film 1 – The War of the Jewels
Film 2 – Beren and Lúthien
Film 3 – The End of an Age

A main plot point of this trilogy would be the fall of Gondolin, and the main characters in the Silmarillion are elves.

No way it'll happen in 10 years. After Christopher passes, his son Adam will take leadership of the Tolkien Estate, and apparently is as protective of his grandfather's work as his father is. We likely won't be seeing the rights to any of the other Middle-earth works being released for a few generations.

orochi91

Movie will benefit from the incoming extended version.

It was painfully obvious in the second half that certain scenes were cut.

Thranduil was brilliant, love his presence on screen and his smugness is unmatched.

Windam

Scaley member
Movie will benefit from the incoming extended version.

It was painfully obvious in the second half that certain scenes were cut.

Thranduil was brilliant, love his presence on screen and his smugness is unmatched.

His expression when Dain threatened to split his head open was marvelous.

I really didn't mind the trilogy as a whole. The Battle of the Five Armies isn't good, but it was certainly enjoyable for what it was and I feel incredibly fortunate to experience more of cinematic Middle Earth because this is almost certainly the last time it will happen for decades. Was The Hobbit unnecessarily long and not nearly of the same caliber of the LotR trilogy? Of course. That said, the Hobbit trilogy remains at it's worst merely average.

bengraven

I really didn't mind the trilogy as a whole. The Battle of the Five Armies isn't good, but it was certainly enjoyable for what it was and I feel incredibly fortunate to experience more of cinematic Middle Earth because this is almost certainly the last time it will happen for decades. Was The Hobbit unnecessarily long and not nearly of the same caliber of the LotR trilogy? Of course. That said, the Hobbit trilogy remains at it's worst merely average.

Funny enough, but the extended editions actually let the movies breathe a lot more and are significantly better paced for it.

You're still stuck with "WargChase2", the worst scene in LOTR history after WargChase1 in Two Towers.

Again, let go. I would be perfectly happy if Return of the King was the last time we ever saw Middle Earth on screen; that would be just fine.

Solidsoul

Banned
Strongly dislike the fact the thread title states OP's opinion as fact.

Many people enjoyed this film, including myself. It's not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but i do not agree the film was "Awful". There are several flaws to point out but as Vashetti already stated there is three Hobbit threads already, none of which have an opinionated thread title.

Every time they focused on the Ring: zoomed in on it, played eerie music when discussing it, Gandalf warning in an ominous tone, etc.

Moonkid

If anything the Nazgul designs were fucking rad. Loved the different weapons and armour they had, just waiting for an art book to drop so I can get a good look at them.

Speevy

Banned
This film is actually worse compared to Return of the King than Revenge of the Sith is compared to Return of the Jedi.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I audibly laughed when the battle is saved YET AGAIN by those damn EAGLES, hahaha.

Also, that Elven lady that in the end did nothing noteworthy besides being the source of cliched love story... etc etc etc.

The battle itself is stupid. The good guys are getting their asses kicked and with the appearence of 13 dwarves the odds turn? That can't be right. Why not bring more dwarves in the first place? Why are the worms so cool and so ignored? Why are orcs so bad at fighting? What do the humans do a part from dying in the streets?

These things bugged me. On top of that, I was bothered that the goblins showed up for a few seconds, then it spent the rest of the time with Legolas, Thorin, and Azog (which was a stupid idea, but I guess the movies needed more action). It really felt like The Battle of the Three Armies.

Also, Alfrid. He doesn't get his comeuppance. Bard calls him a coward, but he just shakes his golden boobs and runs off, never to be seen again. Unless I missed something.

Windam

Scaley member
These things bugged me. On top of that, I was bothered that the goblins showed up for a few seconds, then it spent the rest of the time with Legolas, Thorin, and Azog (which was a stupid idea, but I guess the movies needed more action). It really felt like The Battle of the Three Armies.

Also, Alfrid. He doesn't get his comeuppance. Bard calls him a coward, but he just shakes his golden boobs and runs off, never to be seen again. Unless I missed something.

So much was cut for the theatrical release it's painful. I was utterly floored when the Kili/Tauriel thing was resolved and then Bilbo is saying goodbye to the surviving 10 Dwarves. Where the hell was Thorin, Fili and Kili's funeral? Why give us closure to something we never wanted and all expected from the start, instead of giving us closure in the deaths of three of the most important Dwarves?

Legolas literally walking on air. I wasn't much of a fan before that scene (movie feels too much like one big fight scene with zero exposition or resolution), but that scene had me wanting to throw my hands up and leave the cinema.

Ridiculous how OP he was. Straight Terminator in Smaug and then someone who is able to walk on air in Five Armies.

came here say this; i just rolled my eyes. he's been ridiculous this whole trilogy though, i should have expected it.

also thranduil's whole 'they call him strider, but you will have to discover his name blah blah blah' shit was way too blatantly fan servicey and pointless.

my son dug it though. but he's also three.

Toxi

Banned
Bilbo killing orcs by throwing rocks at them.

That was just... What.

How the fuck are the villains supposed to be taken seriously when they can be instantly defeated by a three foot tall hobbit chucking large pebbles at them?

It being mostly battle put me to sleep. Like I was literally asleep for a significant chunk of the film. I woke up around the time Bilbo woke up, which I guess is fitting cause Bilbo didn't see any of this battle in the book.

Draper

It...it was kinda like Michael Bay directed it and kept nudging you about the original trilogy Jackson created and how they're linked.

I burst out laughing when the main Orc villain burst through the ice video game style and stabbed the dwarf king in the foot. I hope that was intended to be funny, cause myself and others in the theater damn sure found it hysterical

Remember when that main bad guy closed his eyes under the ice and then immediately opened them and stabbed Thorin in the foot?

Was that just meant to get a sigh out of the audience?

Because it sure wasn't meant to get an advantage over Thorin who had yet to stop looking at the guy.

LOL. What a classic scene that was.

Gravidee

The worst scene was that there was no real resolution to the battle in the first place. We didn't get to see how everyone else's story wrapped up either other than Bilbo's.

This is next guys

9780618126989_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

PJ said he wants to make it.

btrboyev

The worst scene was that there was no real resolution to the battle in the first place. We didn't get to see how everyone else's story wrapped up either other than Bilbo's.

The rest of the dwarves die. Nothing else to be said really. Watch Fellowship and you see what happens to Balin.

Sibylus

Banned
I burst out laughing when the main Orc villain burst through the ice video game style and stabbed the dwarf king in the foot. I hope that was intended to be funny, cause myself and others in the theater damn sure found it hysterical
Had a similar reaction to Gandalf dramatically intoning, "Wereworms!" when they burst through the hillside.

God, I wanted to like this movie so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom