• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit Part 3: TBOFA What was the worst part? Of this god awful film. *Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I haven't seen this movie so i'm not going to read the thread but I just wanted to throw a barb at Peter Jackson and say I'm glad people are finally starting to realize what a fucking hack he is. The first Hobbit movie and the LOTR movies are as bad as the Star Wars prequels still would have been if George Lucas directed them but they had a decent first-draft script. As a human Peter Jackson seems pretty cool but as a director he is garbage mixed with dog poop mixed with pineapple juice.

Turin

Banned
Uhm.... the LotR films are excellent. The only thing I didn't like about them was the way Arwen was written and portrayed.

Also, Alfrid. He doesn't get his comeuppance. Bard calls him a coward, but he just shakes his golden boobs and runs off, never to be seen again. Unless I missed something.

This was it for me, the moral of the day is be like Alfrid, a piece of shit and coward, and you'll end up fine but also really rich.

This movie showed to me Jackson isn't very good at all

Garuda1One

the scene after thorin talked with bilbo.. where suddenly he realized that he's such a dick.. the floor covered in gold, theres this people whispering, talking about how bad he is,, then suddenly thorin got sucked into the floor..

then THE epitome of bad
the scene where the nazgul and sauron were driven away by lady galadriel.. they hover around like ghost in b movie then "you have no power hereee".. then boomm then gone...

my God that was awful

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Movie was fine. Best of the three. Despite them being able to do this story in 2 movies, it wasn't nearly as bad as OP suggests.

I haven't seen this movie so i'm not going to read the thread but I just wanted to throw a barb at Peter Jackson and say I'm glad people are finally starting to realize what a fucking hack he is. The first Hobbit movie and the LOTR movies are as bad as the Star Wars prequels still would have been if George Lucas directed them but they had a decent first-draft script. As a human Peter Jackson seems pretty cool but as a director he is garbage mixed with dog poop mixed with pineapple juice.

The Hobbit movies are alright popcorn flicks, but the LOTR movies are outstanding. Get outta here.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I feel like Radagast, Elrond, Saruman and Galadriel showing up to rescue Gandalf and then fighting the nine until it culminates into Galadriel slapping Sauron halfway across the planet could be awesome.

but what i saw was not awesome.

Turin

Banned
Before the movies released, I remember hearing that Dol Guldur would be in it and thinking how cool that could be, Gandalf investigating inside the haunted lair of a dark presence.

Instead it was just a war fort.

The worst part for me is Tauriel, what happened to her after that? she just cried about losing love and did nothing with her life? the major issue I had was that. Create a character and never give her some closer.

Return of the King had like 4 endings, all of them great and you felt that sense of completion. Sadly that is completely gone from this. It really felt like a....ok well, we done here, bye!

She'll be the all new 5th ending in the Return of the King Ultra Special Extended Edition.

Chococat

Disliked:
*Alfrid (too much screen time, then no comeuppance)
*Bard's over the top action and Disney family moments
  • Bard's homemade son crossbow that took Smaug down
  • Too many times the family was in danger and dad had to save them in heroic cartoon fashion. Family pose.
  • Last dialogue with Alfrid that alluded to family is Bard's strength
*Galadriel's variable power level in battle. She takes down one orc with a shockwave that can be seen for miles. Falls down helpless during Sauromon and Elrond fight (oddly, they are not affect by what ever is draining Gandalf and her). Regains enough power to force Sauron to flee. Crumples into a helpless heap again.
*Wereworms
*No wargs! I can accept changing the goblins to orcs, but why no wargs?
*Elves jumping over the dwarf shield wall without firing a single arrow
*Orc communication flag post- How did it get there with no one noticing?
*Women, old men and children proclaiming they will fight followed by ...nothing
*Legolas air walking fight
*Gandalf being over suspicious of the ring
*Round two fight with Azgog bursting through the ice
*Thraundil's out of place final lines to Legolas and Tauriel
*The rushed farewell with Bilbo
*Personal quirky dislike- when Bard injures the Major during his escape from prison- Bard came off sadistic. Stephen Fry's acting in those few second made it the most violent attack in the movie.

Things I did like:
*Smaug mocking Bard- an appropriated added dragon screen time
*Pretty much any scene with Thraundil- Lee Pace was excellent
*Bit late, but Bilbo final felt integral to the story- Freeman had some time to shine in this one
*Interactions between Bilbo and Thorin

This is what Jackson said about The Silmarlillion "“It’s a legal thing. The Tolkien estate owns the writings of Professor Tolkien – The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings were sold by Professor Tolkien [in] the late 60s … the film rights,” he told media including THR."

They've looked into getting the rights.

The Hobbit trilogy joins Inception and Avatar as films that the majority liked, but the haters are SO vocal that you'd think they were Uwe Bol-tier by reading a typical thread.

JB1981

Was really surprised to see Legolas become Kratos on the back of the cave troll. Where is my controller brehs

Why is no one talking about CG Dain? This was straight up uncanny valley.
Glad someone else was bothered by this. There was nothing about him that had to be CG. It felt like they were just doing CG for CG sake. The character had a cool look too, which makes it that much more shameful that they didn't use any practical effects. I mean, I'd understand resorting to CG when he's astride his battle hog, but they used CG when the camera was inches from his face.

Grinchy

Banned
I want a re-release with a CG Alfrid. And as an added bonus, since he's CG, they could add him into more scenes.

aerts1js

The movie would have been infinitely better without the Alfrid "story" if you can call it that

I see this a lot but I disagree; the movie would have still been terrible.

I also disagree with the people saying the "mounts" were cool...just no, they just look like some World of Warcraft video game bullshit that I don't want to see on film.

Enilced2

There is a lot to nitpick or bitch about I'll agree. But op bitching about a dragon having good eyesight when I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a dragon in any fantasy setting having less than an Eagles type of eyesight on steroids and also complaining about a dragon being over confident and cocky is wierd since they are perfectly acceptable.

There's a lot to nitpick, but I can't think of many films whose highs were as high. The movie could sweep a "Best action sequences of 2014" list.

Not many directors do action scenes as well as PJ.

Monocle

People wanted more because the first trilogy gave us so much more. When Peter Jackson was forced to have a shoestring budget and had to build set pieces, he made superior movies. When he got a blank check and a more CGI focused set of movies, he goes so over-the-top that the scenes become drained of all tension, drama, and realism.
Fair point.

I saw sir Christopher Lee being badass again, even on CGI. That was enough for me.
I loved that scene so much.

The theatrical edition of the Fellowship of the Ring is the best movie of the LOTR trilogy. It's all downhill from there though, as Jackson pretty much goes nuts with the CGI or corrupts every character for the sake of drama and tension.

As for the Hobbit part 3, the worst part is a toss up between Alfrid, superhero Legolas and the utter lack of conclusions to all the major story lines. It'd probably be easier to list the good parts, if I can think of any.

RedShift

I'm trying to not be negative about movies and stuff recently but wow. That was not a good movie.

Lowlight for me is definitely Legolas doing donut lifts from super Mario.

Windam

Scaley member
This is what Jackson said about The Silmarlillion "“It’s a legal thing. The Tolkien estate owns the writings of Professor Tolkien – The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings were sold by Professor Tolkien [in] the late 60s … the film rights,” he told media including THR."

They've looked into getting the rights.

They won't get them.

The theatrical edition of the Fellowship of the Ring is the best movie of the LOTR trilogy.

Replace theatrical with extended and you're golden.

samn

The Smaug bit was FANTASTIC. Would make much more sense at the end of DoS but I guess they wanted to cliffhanger the most enjoyable character so people would actually pay to see this one.

Everything else was just a load of stuff.

What in the world are you talking about. The LOTR films are respected at a critical, commercial, artistic, and communal level. Some of the best films ever made, and you're comparing them to the Star Wars prequels?

By the way, the criticism you level at the films is completely substantiated (aside from a passing reference to the script) from your own thoughts. There's no criticism of the films, just a rant.

I'm a fan of the books, and enjoyed the LotR film trilogy even though I see it as a different thing. The Hobbit novel is actually one of my favorites. So a few years ago I was really excited to see these movies.

Ugh. They completely missed all of the spirit and intention of the Hobbit. They were too busy trying to make a prequel to the Lord of the Rings, instead of just letting the Hobbit be it's own thing, like how the novel has a completely different tone than the LotR books. And this movie was the culmination of garbage in this trilogy. There were things that they threw out of from the book for no reason, bad CGI (those elves...), random sidestuff, people acting out of character, things they threw into the movie for almost no reason that weren't in the book, stuff that just made no sense (the worms coming in and immediately disappearing)...

Also, did anyone else think that Dain was just plain miscast? I get that it was supposed to be comedic relief (though that's a different conversation), but there was just no weight to anything he did.

rezuth

It's a shame they forced evangeline Lilly into this love drama with the reshoots after she only accepted the role under the condition that there would be no such thing.

Me too. I wouldn't even mind if that were covered in a sequel to Shadow of Mordor or something. Seems like it would be a grotesque but interesting process.

That's not how it works. Orcs are very much their own species at this point. Morgoth Bauglir basically took some elves captive when they first awoke tens of thousands of years before LotR took place, and he twisted them. In order for him to manipulate things, he needed to pour his will into them, sort of like what Sauron did with the One Ring, but on a MUCH larger scale, which he was able to do since he was of a higher order.

One of the neater concepts is the concept that Arda (the world Middle earth exists in) is Morgoth's Ring.

The worst part for me was Thorin's "dragon sickness". We get it, he's not himself, getting all paranoid and homicidal. Do we need numerous scenes of evil whispering with freaky camera angles, culminating in a dream sequence on a floor of melted gold? A little subtlety would be appreciated Jackson.

I think the Orc fortress in the north was a wasted opportunity. At least have Legolas and Tauriel go inside and explore, instead of standing outside and watching them march.

wmlk

You're focusing on a very small things and blowing them up to the scale of the entire movie. Yes, there were mistakes, but in the second half it hearkened back to what made LotR so good. It certainly wasn't as bad as the second Hobbit movie.

I think the Orc fortress in the north was a wasted opportunity. At least have Legolas and Tauriel go inside and explore, instead of standing outside and watching them march.

That was some out right asspullery there. Mount Gundabad is something like 500 miles away from the Lonely Mountain. It's much closer to Rivendell than it is The fact that Legolas could go there and back in a day or so is nonsense.

a916

For me, I think the biggest issue was... we were watching a 2 hour long fight. That we had no build up or care for to be honest.

The lead up to the Lonely Mountain climax took almost 2 full movies. The battle, just happened, and it kept going, and eventually, wore it's welcome for me.

A lot of cool things happened during the fight sequences, but when you're watching so much fighting, it just all kind of loses it's potency.

(Also, kind of weird they would go with an all CG Azog and not a makeup one... considering how much effort went into having so many people in makeup in the LOTR)

My guess is that he was the "comic relief character", though him having no resolution hurts the character.

You're right. I see what they were going for. Trying to keep the light hearted tone of the hobbit by working him in. But it was so bad. They should have gone fool goofy or full action. Straddling the line just makes it worse imo

Toxi

Banned
There's a lot to nitpick, but I can't think of many films whose highs were as high. The movie could sweep a "Best action sequences of 2014" list.
The only high you'll find watching this film is from the weed you have to smoke to enjoy it.

For a movie so bloated with action scenes, I'm having trouble remembering a single moment I was wowed.

Korey

For me, I think the biggest issue was... we were watching a 2 hour long fight. That we had no build up or care for to be honest.

The lead up to the Lonely Mountain climax took almost 2 full movies. The battle, just happened, and it kept going, and eventually, wore it's welcome for me.

A lot of cool things happened during the fight sequences, but when you're watching so much fighting, it just all kind of loses it's potency.

(Also, kind of weird they would go with an all CG Azog and not a makeup one... considering how much effort went into having so many people in makeup in the LOTR)
Not to mention, the BATTLE itself had no climax. It lasts for 2 hours (where nobody gets hurt or dies really) and then just ends abruptly off-screen. All the main characters convene somewhere and it's just assumed that they won.

Awful movie. The trilogy felt soulless. Sometimes I wonder if PJ's heart was in it at all.

All of this. Pretty sure Jackson just shrugged and said "Well, I guess if nobody else is going to make it, I probably should. Oh well. Meh. Really wish I wasn't; would rather be making The Lovely Bones into a trilogy or something but...meh. Pfft, stupid Guillermo messing up my Bones Trilogy plans."

Dude went full-on James George "3D Technology First" Cameron Lucas.

Fuck him.

negitoro7

I have many of the same complaints about the film that you guys have, but none of that mattered to me seeing old Bilbo get up to greet Gandalf using the same dialogue from FoTR, and then ending credits song by Pippen Billy Boyd. Outstanding final scene. Cant believe it's all over, even if poorly done :(

Not to mention, the BATTLE itself had no climax. It lasts for 2 hours (where nobody gets hurt or dies really) and then just ends abruptly off-screen. All the main characters convene somewhere and it's just assumed that they won.

Thorin, Fili and Kili are no one?

They should have killed off Tauriel though.

I have many of the same complaints about the film that you guys have, but none of that mattered to me seeing old Bilbo get up to greet Gandalf using the same dialogue from FoTR, and then ending credits song by Pippen Billy Boyd. Outstanding final scene. Cant believe it's all over, even if poorly done :(

Yeah but you could have just watched Fellowship. Even the fact they insisted on having a song from an actor who played a major LotR character... again, just rewatch the gross Denethor eating a tomato scene from RotK. It's all there for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom