• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The influx of moderates telling us to tolerate sexism, xenophobia, and racism all day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Label them what you want. It's those kinds of generalizations that drive uncertain people from voting for the candidate that people like that support.

Bullshit.

Bull, shit.

Trump ran the most hateful campaign this country has ever seen, demonizing, stereotyping and denigrating millions of Americans and he won. He won because the groups he rallied against aren't enough to win an election seemingly.

Tripon

You just need to hold the L, OP. You been talking about building blacklists and raging since yesterday results came in.

I didn't like what happened either but you need to start blaming others and think how and what you are going to do.

Why isn't the world perfect.

Do you want to be right or so you want to win elections.

I want to win elections.

Minorities are the backbone of the Democratic Coalition. How is going after angry, white voters who are indifferent, if not outright hostile, to their plight not going to drive them away?

Ivan 3414

Stop defending bigotry.

You're on the wrong side of history.

I am absolutely not defending bigotry. What I'm saying is that the way you're(Democrats in general) tackling bigotry has not worked in your favor. Folks dont care that you're morally correct, quite evidently.

Why should they? What do they gain from putting others before themselves?

Because the minorities need the majority to take an invested interest in them much more than the Majority need the minorities to take an invested interest in them.

Why isn't the world perfect.

Do you want to be right or so you want to win elections.

I want to win elections.

All three post illustrate the point succinctly. It's one of apathy. Minorities don't even register as a blip. None of you are angels for posting what you did, and neither am I. But does a Muslim doctor contribute to society? How about a Black engineer? Or maybe an Asian social worker. We've justified our existence already. But apparently that's not good enough.

I think the problem arises when you start labeling everyone who disagrees with you as homophobic, transphobic, misogynist,racist, etc. There are some issues that are not black and white. I've been shifting more towards the center-left the past few years and its been really eye opening to see how the right and left are so similar in the way they act. Since I'm left leaning I want the left to be the shining example but truthfully its hard to differentiate between the two sides.

Difficult to not really consider them that way, after everything trump's done and said. The way it is, there's half of america who don't fucking care about the people around them, they elected a man who will damage not only his own country and the non white-heterosexual male population, but actually the whole world with his views on topics like global warming.

But hey, let's accept and pamper them! Let's thank them for the probable devolution on civil rights! Let's just accept their full on morality and let them shit on the people with weaker voices!

Enzom21

All of you white moderates telling us minorities to hand hold racists to more progress views, stop.
They don't give a shit about us and they most certainly won't listen to us.
If you think talking to them and listening to their point of view will fix things, you do it.
There are enough of you supposed allies to make a change. Yet all I see is you telling us, not the racists to change.

if you're a minority in america right now, i feel for you so much. it's seriously a horrible situation, a unique fear that people in positions of privilege will never understand.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hey if you don't want to be labeled don't vote for a candidate that is. You can't cherry pick an issue, if you vote for them you get the whole package.
It's time to face reality. If White Joe in Bumblefuck Nowhere, Kansas is mired in poverty, he is not going to care about minority rights. And you know what? He has more voting power than us. Let's not forget that a good chunk of minorities are in Joe's position too.

We can work to understand Joe's plight and address it, OR we can call Joe a bigot, get him fired from his job over social media, and pat ourselves on the back. How did that go for us?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You been talking about building blacklists and raging since yesterday results came in.
I was called a nigger while walking home and someone drew a nazi symbol with the words sieg heil incredibly close to my home along with a swastika, you don't think I have a right to be angry?

Feel free to make a single point. I've read the quote multiple times and its relevancy to this situation is tenuous at best. None of you understands the slightest thing about genuine leftism.
We're discussing passive racism, not your no true Scotsman version of what it means to be truly liberal.

Squalor

Who is asking minorities to do anything in this case that is presented in the OP? I'm confused how some of you are connecting these dots. If we are talking about how blue collar voters flipped MI and Wisconsin and cost Hillary the election that was on Hillary for not appealing to their needs for fixing the damn mess in those places. Have you fucking seen Flint? Detroit? How is appealing to their pressing matters of jobs and drinking water appealing to racists?
All the people who are expecting minorities to "understand" the bigots and to "get over" the bigotry.

It must be nice to live in a world where that doesn't affect you.

Irnbru

It's comes down to this, the president can call me a rapist and a criminal, BUT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE POOR WHITE PEOPLE if I call them a rascist for supporting it. No.

superbeau

Neo Member
'Why do we lose the election when we call everyone that disagrees with us even partially racist and dumb?'

The left doesn't have a monopoly on morality and truth. Get off your high horse and realise that the world is a complex place.

considering in this thread we're talking about the really real bigotry superprevelent online and on the streets, maybe get of your high horse

faisal233

Minorities are the backbone of the Democratic Coalition. How is going after angry, white voters who are indifferent, if not outright hostile, to their plight not going to drive them away?
No one said to go after the angry white vote, we lost 6 million votes from obama. A half hearted defense in Wisconsin and Michigan would have done it.

its amazing how everyone is trying to tell us to compromise and that should try and listen to other side the same side that refuses to compromise on anything that literally fought every dam thing obama try to do that refused to even do there job for 8 months but naaah were supposed to now compromise and us being considered fuckin normal human beings with basic rights fuck that they have full power now let them burn down the whole god dam country down at the end i will still call those shit stains what they are once they realized they been played like a god dam tool they might realize how awful human beings they are and if they some how not enough people see the truth then well we were fucked either way

Bullshit.

Bull, shit.

Trump ran the most hateful campaign this country has ever seen, demonizing, stereotyping and denigrating millions of Americans and he won. He won because the groups he rallied against aren't enough to win an election seemingly.

Trump won because a ton of Democrats flipped over to Hillary. It's her failure. I'm sure instantly labeling anyone not immediately voting for her a racist, misogynistic, xenophobe definitely helped turn them blue.

Great argument

All three post illustrate the point succinctly. It's one of apathy. Minorities don't even register as a blip. None of you are angels for posting what you did, and neither am I. But does a Muslim doctor contribute to society? How about a Black engineer? Or maybe an Asian social worker. We've justified our existence already. But apparently that's not good enough.

I'm a fucking minority, so I'm not apathetic. But I don't expect people who are living their own life to put the needs of me an my people before their own.

Roman

So what's you guys' take on the "When they go low, we go high" mentality? One could argue that's one of the reasons the Democrats lost. Not enough bite. No grit. Low energy.

I really don't think that labeling people racists drove voters towards Trump that wouldn't have voted for him either way.

Way to miss the point. It's not about tolerating racists, it's about laying off extremist black and white views that just fuel more hate and ignorance.

Tripon

I was called a nigger while walking home and someone drew a nazi symbol with the words sieg heil incredibly close to my home along with a swastika, you don't think I have a right to be angry?
As an Asian person who been called Chink multiple times for various reasons and beaten up because I walked in the wrong neighborhood, I am telling you anger without purpose doesn't solve shit.

Carcetti

God when I read a MLK quote I hear it in his voice. It resonates in my body and soul. His pauses. His inflections.

I'm tired of the white moderate.

Moderate now just means they claim they're liberal and against bigotry while actually not doing anything to stop it unless this somehow serves their own needs or does not inconvenience them in any way.

Squalor

One. No I didn't. I voted for Hillary. I'm just not so simple minded that I only see things in extremely literal terms. The idea that you support 100% of the shit a candidate says when you vote for him is insane. If that were the case, I would probably literally never vote for anyone.

And like I mentioned before, by your logic here, if you voted for Obama, you support drone strikes on foreign countries that have killed many innocent people.
There are differences in opinion. You might not agree with all of a candidates opinions.

Racism and sexism aren't "opinions." A lot of you moderates seem to miss that.

Obama made a bad foreign policy decision against countries who house factions we are at war with. No one has defended Obama on that.

Plenty of people are ignoring and defending Trump's bigotry. Exhibit A is this thread, your posts, and all the posts like yours.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
As an Asian person who been called Chink multiple times for various reasons and beaten up because I walked in the wrong neighborhood, I am telling you anger without purpose doesn't solve shit.
Oh there's a purpose to the anger. Several actually.

darkace

Banned
I just don't get it. You guys just lost the fucking election to cheeto hitler and rather than introspect about what drove this you decide to call literally everyone that voted for him a racist and a terrible person and circlejerk about how morally superior the Clinton platform was. I can't think of a dumber, more meaningless response.

This is why people hate liberals.

We're discussing passive racism, not your no true Scotsman version of what it means to be truly liberal.

I didn't say anything about liberal, you twit. I said leftist. But hey, the working class in America has been decimated by having their jobs shipped off to the third world, and one group is providing them with a ready made narrative about who to blame, and the other is pretending like their problems don't exist. These are not "white moderates" they're people who are desperate and angry.

The Kree

Banned
Label them what you want. It's those kinds of generalizations that drive uncertain people from voting for the candidate that people like that support.

I'm not going to forget all the cheering and applause at his rallies when he talked about building walls, banning religious foreigners, and advocating violence and intimidation against his detractors. His supporters were either on board for all that or at least indifferent to it, and for that I will not forgive them because they're too stupid to look at the changing world around them and acknowledge the real source of their actual problems.

It's time to face reality. If White Joe in Bumblefuck Nowhere, Kansas is mired in poverty, he is not going to care about minority rights. And you know what? He has more voting power than us. Let's not forget that a good chunk of minorities are in Joe's position too.

We can work to understand Joe's plight and address it, OR we can call Joe a bigot, get him fired from his job over social media, and pat ourselves on the back. How did that go for us?
His and minorities positions are the same.

Cipherr

And that's a really big problem. What common ground can be found between a gay person and someone who thinks they shouldn't be able to marry? What common ground can be found between a trans person and someone who thinks they shouldn't be able to use the right bathroom?

In those cases, what compromise is there that would make both sides happy?

That's the ugly truth. We are reaching social issues that don't have a "middle" to meet in. So all this 'meet them halfway' shit doesn't fucking work. Some things ARE black and white with no grey area... How the fuck do you manage compromise on those??

All the people who are expecting minorities to "understand" the bigots and to "get over" the bigotry.

It must be nice to live in a world where that doesn't affect you.

Sorry, but I like progress and to win elections. Pointing a finger and screaming racists/sexist at anyone who doesn't think like you do accomplishes nothing. Liberals who are saying this aren't asking you guys to hug a racist. We don't care about them either. We're talking about people who are in the middle who might have voted democrat with the right candidate this election.

Trump won because a ton of Democrats flipped over to Hillary. It's her failure. I'm sure instantly labeling anyone not immediately voting for her a racist, misogynistic, xenophobe definitely helped turn them blue.

Great argument
And Trump's vp aiding fucking conversion camps didn't flip enough people red.

I'm not going to coddle people who are more angry at being called possibly homophobic than voting for someone who's a-ok with torture against homosexuals.

If that means we lose, so be it.

faisal233

its amazing how everyone is trying to tell us to compromise and that should try and listen to other side the same side that refuses to compromise on anything that literally fought every dam thing obama try to do that refused to even do there job for 8 months but naaah were supposed to now compromise and us being considered fuckin normal human beings with basic rights fuck that they have full power now let them burn down the whole god dam country down at the i will still call those shit stains what they are once they realized they been played like a god dam tool they might realize how awful human beings they are and if they some how not enough people see the truth then well we were fucked either way
We didn't need to compromise, we ran on the wrong message for WI and MI.

Now all we have is the righteous message, no way to implement.

Squalor

I am absolutely not defending bigotry. What I'm saying is that the way you're(Democrats in general) tackling bigotry has not worked in your favor. Folks dont care that you're morally correct, quite evidently.
Ah, the old "shut up about bigotry" defense. Got it.

It's easy to say that when bigotry and racism and sexism and xenophobia don't affect you.

I didn't say anything about liberal, you twit. I said leftist. But hey, the working class in America has been decimated by having their jobs shipped off to the third world, and one group is providing them with a ready made narrative about who to blame, and the other is pretending like their problems don't exist. These are not "white moderates" they're people who are desperate and angry.
How does any of this excuse the fact that your voted for a man who'a entire platform relies on hating brown people? Again, the MLK quote has nothing about China stealing our jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom