• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The influx of moderates telling us to tolerate sexism, xenophobia, and racism all day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't get it. You guys just lost the fucking election to cheeto hitler and rather than introspect about what drove this you decide to call literally everyone that voted for him a racist and a terrible person and circlejerk about how morally superior the Clinton platform was. I can't think of a dumber, more meaningless response.

This is why people hate liberals.

hey the election was literally yesterday, let people be upset for a while yea and show some empathy to the situation

especially when they soon face having their rights taken away

LosDaddie

Banned
Hey if you don't want to be labeled don't vote for a candidate that is. You can't cherry pick an issue, if you vote for them you get the whole package.

And the Left will continue to lose so long as they don't care to understand why many aren't favoring their policies.

I mean, it's easy to sit on a high horse like many did months when polls were predicting an Abuela landslide, but now the chickens have come home to roost. Dems were already in an incredibly weak position legislatively, and now they just lost the only branch of govt they had.

People need to realize why they are holding this L right now.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Way to miss the point. It's not about tolerating racists, it's about laying off extremist black and white views that just fuel more hate and ignorance.
So you're saying that racism, misogyny, and xenophobia aren't incredibly simple and understandable viewpoints as to why they happen, the effect they have on society, and why they're bad in EVERY way shape and form? And that the onus is on the oppressed to lay off and stop calling a spade what it is, in other words, "Protest more quietly please."

I'm not going to forget all the cheering and applause at his rallies when he talked about building walls, banning religious foreigners, and advocating violence and intimidation against his detractors. His supporters were either on board for all that or at least indifferent to it, and for that I will not forgive them because they're too stupid to look at the changing world around them and acknowledge the real source of their actual problems.
I didn't vote for him. But I'm sure there are many people who did who didn't attend a single one of his rallies. I'm not supporting him, but if you come at people with hostility demanding that they agree with you because you're right, don't be surprised if they tell you to kick rocks.

Was this the platform Obama was running on?
False equivalencies are fun!
It doesn't matter if it was a platform or not. The claim is that if you support a candidate you support all of his actions and ideas. Obama was using drones long before his re election, so if you voted for him in 2012, you either knew about it and voted for him anyway (Which fills the same exact criteria as people who voted for an openly racist Trump) or were ignorant to what he was doing.

Mr. X

Seriously, these #whitefeelingsmatter people can fuck off. 3 to 4 branches of government doesn't respect us, our existence and contributions to society because of racists.

nomis

there's a massive grey area between "accept bigotry" and "the DNC should find a candidate and platform that appeals to rust belters/more working class whites"

Telling someone that they should tolerate and understand someones choice to support someone that could very well strip those same people of their rights as a human being and potentially cause them physical harm is fucking ridiculous.

Imagine someone telling you as a parent to just deal with it that your school principal and fellow neighborhood parents endorse and encourage bullying when your kid comes home crying after getting bullied at school and is afraid to go back. And that you need to understand why the other parents endorse this person because that principal has a decent curriculum. Otherwise you are the problem here.

Because they're not all racists. You can mock the #NotAll____ moniker all you want, but it's the truth.

• There are people in rural America legitimately left behind by technological advances and the new generation running off to the big cities. This doesn't make them racist.
  • There are well-meaning religious folk that believe in the sanctity of life. This doesn't make them woman-haters.
  • There are uninformed people who genuinely believe Hillary is as corrupt as they get. You can blame the media on this.

Labeling every Trump voter as such is doing to them exactly what racists actually do. You can support filibustering the Republican Congress. You can support protesting Trump's cabinet. Those people are irredeemable. But don't ignore the legitimate grievances of legitimate people. Especially do not paint them all with the broad brush that you yourself despise.
Thank you. Its easy to blame everyone but yourself. This election, by all modern metrics, was ours to lose. And lose we did, by a landslide. it's time for a reevaluation instead of finger positing and blaming. It's crazy the amount of cognitive dissonance on display here.

How does any of this excuse the fact that your voted for a man who'a entire platform relies on hating brown people? Again, the MLK quote has nothing about China stealing our jobs.

It doesn't have anything about fucking trans rights either. People voted for him because he provided a solution to their problems. A hateful, terrible, morally indefensible solution, but the only one spoken to them in their language.

Way to miss the point. It's not about tolerating racists, it's about laying off extremist black and white views that just fuel more hate and ignorance.

IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER HOW TOLERANT TRUMP VOTERS WERE

they voted for a candidate that is not, they voted for an administration that is going to strip rights away from citizens, discriminate against citizens and fuck up climate change for everyone

I don't care if a Trump voter never called me a faggot, they voted for one of the most hateful platforms against gay people I've ever lived through and I'm not going to give them slack for that.

Because of their actions they're going to make my life immeasurably worse

Irnbru

What you people don't understand is that every single fucking time we get called rapists. Everything single time our people get shot down on the street. We're told oh no, please think of the poor white people. Please help them understand! We've tried for years. Years and years and where did it get us to? Voting for man that represents every single regressive stance and hatred for my brothers and sisters. And you want me to back the fuck down? How more years will it take?

How many more dead bodies of our brothers and sisters will it take?

And Trump's vp aiding fucking conversion camps didn't flip enough people red.

I'm not going to coddle people who are more angry at being called possibly homophobic than voting for someone who's a-ok with torture against homosexuals.

If that means we lose, so be it.
I'm not asking anyone to coddle them.

Squalor

In this thread we have white moderates blaming minorities for Trump's rise because minorities don't like being disenfranchised.

You people are sick.

Bullshit.

Bull, shit.

Trump ran the most hateful campaign this country has ever seen, demonizing, stereotyping and denigrating millions of Americans and he won. He won because the groups he rallied against aren't enough to win an election seemingly.
Agreed. Me calling my friend a a supporter of a racist didn't drive him to go vote for Trump. He was voting already. Besides, this election wasn't fucked by people voting for the "wrong" person. It was a problem of people not even getting off their ass to vote in the first place.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I've asked several similar questions ITT that received no answers.
I'll bite.
What do I need to understand about someone who has no qualms about calling people who look like me "terrorists"?
You need to understand their motivations. Maybe it's because green energy is leaving this miner behind and Alex Jones told him it was the muslims' fault. Maybe he believes Fox's fear-mongering about some sharia law nonsense. Maybe he's been swept up into the team sports that politics is quickly becoming. Or maybe he is actually racist. There's one possibility where he is probably irredeemable and many other possibilities where he is also a victim; he's a victim of misinformation from the Republican bullshit machine.

You can choose to listen to his story and connect as human beings (and make no mistake, this shit takes time and doesn't always work). Or you can shame him on twitter and call him a bigot on facebook, which we've seen causes him to double down and never actually work.

I'm not asking anyone to put themselves behind anyone. But at least humour the idea of being equidistant.
That's a lot to ask for people who don't believe they need you. Why would they? I'm not saying they should. These people believe that this country was built by them. For them. You and I are just invading, taking their jobs. Expecting them to see it through our eyes is a fruitless endeavor.

It doesn't have anything about fucking trans rights either. People voted for him because he provided a solution to their problems. A hateful, terrible, morally indefensible solution, but the only one spoken to them in their language.
But he doesn't provide a solution to their problems, never discussed having solutions to their problems, and instead spoke in hateful xenophobic and racist rhetoric, which is apparently "their language".

Bruh.

And the Left will continue to lose so long as they don't care to understand why many aren't favoring their policies.

I mean, it's easy to sit on a high horse like many did months when polls were predicting an Abuela landslide, but now the chickens have come home to roost. Dems were already in an incredibly weak position legislatively, and now they just lost the only branch of govt they had.

People need to realize why they are holding this L right now.
How do you have a conversation with people who want to build a wall to keep out Mexicans and ban muslims? How do you talk to people who hate you?

What you people don't understand is that every single fucking time we get called rapists. Everything single time our people get shot down on the street. We're told oh no, please think of the poor white people. Please help them understand! We've tried for years. Years and years and where did it get us to? Voting for man that represents every single regressive stance and hatred for my brothers and sisters. And you want me to back the fuck down? How more years will it take?

we have to show unity and let racist people call us nigger and chink and towelhead while we just sit back and take it to show how "civilised" we are, if we retaliate in any way we instantly "prove" any stereotypes they may have held about us

Ponn

Banned
All the people who are expecting minorities to "understand" the bigots and to "get over" the bigotry.

It must be nice to live in a world where that doesn't affect you.

People prioritize stuff all the time depending on their situations, even racial issues. If you are worried about feeding your kid or them being able to drink the water you are going to prioritize that over everything else for example. Those two things don't have be exclusionary to each other though and a good candidate would have been able to do that. Especially in traditionally blue areas. Hopefully the next candidate will learn from this but they don't have to "educate" anyone on racial issues just appeal to their major concerns, which in that area are pretty fucking dire at the moment. Its not like saying we need to appeal to the anti-gay single issue voters to get their vote.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
His and minorities positions are the same.
But he doesn't know this. This is why Republicans dominate the uneducated vote. The solution is right there. Educate, don't demonize. Education is the hard route, sure. It takes a long ass time and it doesn't always work. But we now know that the alternative DEFINITELY does not work.

Don't make the same mistake because it's the easy, emotional way out.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
He literally provided NO solutions whatsoever to their problems, Trump.Has.No.Policy. at all, he talks like a child, a racist, misogynistic, xenophobic child.

Why? Because you say so?
No, because you're missing the point and proving the exact point outlined in the OP. How do you feel about domestic abuse, about police shooting unarmed black people, where are you when those situations happen? Do you also play devil's advocate there too?

I'm not asking anyone to coddle them.

Would you take the same stance with an abusive partner? One of tolerance, and understanding them as humans? How long would it last? Last time I checked, both parties voted last night, and leaving the onus on the 'loser' is kind of a bad strategy.

That's a lot to ask for people who don't believe they need you. Why would they? I'm not saying they should. These people believe that this country was built by them. For them. You and I are just invading, taking their jobs. Expecting them to see it through our eyes is a fruitless endeavor.

With that kind of sentiment, how do expect people to change? There is no good in everyone. Most people are set in store. Because of the experiences of my life, I have my certain outlook. But I'm sure as hell not preaching violence and raising racisst epitaphs at people.

They don't have an answer for you. They want to "win elections", and if it takes you and people like you shutting the fuck up, then so be it.

In this thread we have white moderates blaming minorities for Trump's rise because minorities don't like being disenfranchised.

You people are sick.

It's more disgusting than Trump's win or the people who voted for him, to be honest. With "allies" like them, who the fuck needs enemies?

Squalor

People prioritize stuff all the time depending on their situations, even racial issues. If you are worried about feeding your kid or them being able to drink the water you are going to prioritize that over everything else for example. Those two things don't have be exclusionary to each other though and a good candidate would have been able to do that. Especially in traditionally blue areas. Hopefully the next candidate will learn from this but they don't have to "educate" anyone on racial issues just appeal to their major concerns, which in that area are pretty fucking dire at the moment. Its not like saying we need to appeal to the anti-gay single issue voters to get their vote.
Voting for Trump isn't prioritizing that.

Republicans have proven time and again that they don't care about poor white people. They care about poor white people's votes.

Usobuko

Banned
America has never been worth fighting for if you're non-white & straight, it shouldn't take this election to know that all along there's only 2 classes in the country. The straight white people and the rest of us who are cattle. America nationalism poisoned the minds of every non-white / lgbt in thinking they are equal and should take pride in this country.

They shouldn't, for this country view them with such great contempt.

Irnbru said:

fucking worded.

I just don't get it. You guys just lost the fucking election to cheeto hitler and rather than introspect about what drove this you decide to call literally everyone that voted for him a racist and a terrible person and circlejerk about how morally superior the Clinton platform was. I can't think of a dumber, more meaningless response.

This is why people hate liberals.

Whats your logical explanation to the person running the campaign on hate speech that removing all POC will solve everything for the poor white people wins the election. when people are willing to throw millions of people under the bus who probably in a worse state just to "take back there country" they lack basic empathy and are running on fuck you i got mindset there is not much to introspect on .

How do you have a conversation with people who want to build a wall to keep out Mexicans and ban muslims? How do you talk to people who hate you?
It's not the entire right that hates us. You talk to those who simply have feelings of being left behind or forgotten, which is clearly a large portion of America.

superbeau

Neo Member
It's time to face reality. If White Joe in Bumblefuck Nowhere, Kansas is mired in poverty, he is not going to care about minority rights. And you know what? He has more voting power than us. Let's not forget that a good chunk of minorities are in Joe's position too.

We can work to understand Joe's plight and address it, OR we can call Joe a bigot, get him fired from his job over social media, and pat ourselves on the back. How did that go for us?

is Joe actually a bigot? Does he say the country would be better without spics and queers? I've met plenty of people like that and they voted Trump. Did ALL Trump voters say stuff like that? No.

But to say "hey Joe go ahead and blame people you never met and have no power for your life, we tolerate you" if fucking asinine. It isn't liberal or left or decent. It's passive.

Passivity gets you no where. Oh, and it sells out people who need to be stood up for.

You people are sick.

Are you surprised though? This is what the white moderate does well... don't protest too aggressively, don't be aggressive towards those who want abuse you and make lynching gestures, don't block traffic, don't inconvenience me in any way while you fight to be seen an equal...

But he doesn't know this. This is why Republicans dominate the uneducated vote. The solution is right there. Educate, don't demonize. Education is the hard route, sure. It takes a long ass time and it doesn't always work. But we now know that the alternative DEFINITELY does not work.

Don't make the same mistake because it's the easy, emotional way out.
You cannot have a conversation with people who hate you.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He literally provided NO solutions whatsoever to their problems, Trump.Has.No.Policy. at all, he talks like a child, a racist, misogynistic, xenophobic child.
He said what they wanted to hear. Hillary didn't.

This election proved, for me at least, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there is no reward for merit and it's all just demagoguery in the end.

Fine.

That just means the Democrats need to learn how to play the popularity game.

Would you take the same stance with an abusive partner? One of tolerance, and understanding them as humans? How long would it last? Last time I checked, both parties voted last night, and leaving the onus on the 'loser' is kind of a bad strategy.
I'm not saying people should tolerate them. I'm just asking why anyone is surprised when people respond negatively to hostility. I'm not for Trump or any of his supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom