• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The internet took a turn for the worse once memes surfaced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings; my given name is Richard Harrison and the facility we have entered is a retail establishment that specializes in unredeemed goods, which is the legal property of yours truly. I currently employ my paternal parental unit, alias, "Elderly Male," and the offspring of oneself, whose given name is Corey Harrison, yet has assumed the identity, "Large Hoss." Each individual item currently possessed by my fine retail establishment beholds a lengthy narrative and of course, this being a legal retail establishment, can be acqulred for reasonable compensation. I have been the legal facilitator of this established haberdashery since the year MCMXCV, and in those XXI years, I have been gradually lnformed that; thy shall, at no time in the past, future, or present, be aware of by means of observation or inqulry, any details whatsoever of the material goods that will proceed past the aperture of my structure where goods are acquired and distributed simultaneously.

Memes all suck. Yes, no exceptions.

Language is memetic. If you speak a language, you are likely propagating memes.

So.. cool story bro. High five. See you later alligator. Don't let the bed bugs bite.

(Image Macros are memetic, but that's not what a "meme" is in the pure definition.)

Google trends shows the rise of memes to be about 2011. I had never even heard of the word until around then I guess. Just the use of the word annoys me these days, especially when simple jokes or satire are being labeled as memes.

Google Trends show the rise of people *searching* for memes along specific phrases and avenues. You are transposing people searching for a thing, for a thing existing in the first place. Discussion about memes has gone on as long as the late 70s, and likely earlier just under a different name.

All Your Base was called a meme back in early 2000s already. Don't rely on Google Trends for any kind of useful datum, it can be misleading to assume what and when people search for things is the same as the thing itself. The map is not the territory.

The term "meme" has become generalized to mean "funny cat picture" or "10th level irony succ here come dat boi", which is unfortunate, but that's language for you. Words mean what culture ends up making it mean.

SummitAve

Banned
Google trends shows the rise of memes to be about 2011. I had never even heard of the word until around then I guess. Just the use of the word annoys me these days, especially when simple jokes or satire are being labeled as memes.

Kusagari

Dancing_baby.gif

Memes have been around forever bro.

Been online and on forums since '99 or '00 and can confirm that gaming communities online have deteriorated in the past ~4 years due to memes. Memes all suck. Yes, no exceptions. If it's a meme it's shit and you would have been better off stating what you intended to state in plain English or whichever language you were communicating in.

Nothing can be expressed better than with pics of Harambe #dixoutforharambe

Are Hamster dance and YTMND memes too? I don't remember anybody ever referring to these earlier Internet thing as memes.

They are memes, but early general populous Internet didn't yet have the language to refer to them as memes. They spread and propegate like memes, and carry cultural payloads, like memes, so if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... (sorry for the meme).

But early 00s, it was just "viral video" or "funny cat picture", etc. One could argue they weren't really that good at being memes, because their selection pressures were partially artificial due to the structure of the internet, how people find and access content, etc. So they propegated, but they weren't really a stable idea by themselves, they required people's way of finding them funny to propagate.

"Why did the chicken cross the road" is a meme. And a joke. And one that is now so prevalent, we don't really think of it as a meme anymore.

Purkake4

Banned
A wise man once said:
Nah dude, lolcats are normie as fuck. Sure they were funny at the time, but they were never dank. The essence of a dank meme is layers upon layers of irony and satire until the coherence of the original meme is nearly lost. It's like a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy; with each copy you further diminish any humor that was originally present, slowly creating a new humor, turning the process of diluting the original meme into a joke itself, turning the idea of a joke into a joke and making a joke about the infinitely repeating process making jokes about jokes about jokes, in between each step sowing a speck of existential depression, alluding to the pointlessness of the whole process, only to make another photocopy making a joke out of that speck.

It's the ultimate meta-joke, ultimate anti-joke: it is simultaneously the idea of humor and the lack thereof. It is incomprehensible by us finite beings, something holy and complete in a way that we can never be. It is... dank.

Memes aren't bad. People using Memes as seemingly their only form of communication is bad. THAT is a recent trend. But I guess it can just be linked to the world being bigger and more connected that lets people bash out digital diarrhea more frequently.

kewlmyc

You're not wrong, but I think it's more about when people at mass realize you could be a complete ass (aka the true self) online and get mostly away with it.

Fandangox

Are Hamster dance and YTMND memes too? I don't remember anybody ever referring to these earlier Internet thing as memes.

tumblr_n8ty5s7SVK1qeq0ypo1_500.jpg

Yes, they are. Memes are basically the passing of ideas or concepts through people. Its why that's the word used for what is known as Internet Memes.

Media

Memes are not some kind of recent phenomenon. OP's claimed halcyon days of the internet were plagued with All Your Base, Mr. T Ate My Balls, Hamsterdance, l33t speak, and all the other memes of its day. It's an inevitable result of mass media. In the TV era they were called "catchphrases."

I can confirm that memes have always been a thing. I was online mid-early 90s. Freaking goatse was everywhere back then.

Shitty memes have been a part of this twisted society since the beginning. Bad jokes based entirely on reference to themselves, and mindless repetition. All Your Base, O RLY, Bunny With A Pancake On His Head - the list stretches back as far as the eye can see.

During the 90's you almost had to be a semi-intelligent person just to dial into the internet, much less figure out how to contribute to it. The whole process was so finnicky and complicated, it really weeded out a lot of dumbasses.

I knew tons of people who were around for the birth of the internet, but couldn't be arsed to use it for like 15 years until it became a brainless, always-on thing in their pocket with a simple touch interface. Then all of a sudden they were Mr. Facebook 24/7.

Now everyone can press like one button to stream endless high-quality videos of themselves pooping for the whole planet to see.

It's just democracy. Every fuckface gets to contribute. Back in the day our uncles were too stupid to spam racist Obama memes, but the process got easier and easier over time, until no racist was left behind.

Nose Master

They're not new, but yeah, they're awful. Jokes that were mildly funny repeated and "iterated" on infinitely until you cringe at the sight of them. Harambe, for instance. That meme was never funny, and now it's back so we get another two weeks of "HARAMBE RIGHT." It's the entirety of the internet sending you shitty chain emails.

FinKL

Eh, I noticed this yesterday when in a library where computers were open to kids. They were on Facebook, playing pretty bad Facebook games, or browsing memes. You might have a point on the memes

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm kinda with you OP.

I'm not gonna take a hard "never" stance on them (they can be deployed cleverly) but most people using them are basically the internet equivalent of that guy at work who just quotes movies and family guy instead of actually being funny.

I mean, even the ones people are posting ionically in this thread are obvious and boring.

Purkake4

Banned
Also chill, OP.

I, for one, look forward to 100 years from now when memologists from the Massachusetts Institute of Memetic Sciences will comb through the ruins of Trump's America to find some rare memes to add to the memeseium. Imagine categorizing all the pepes, image macros and dancing baby gifs. Doctorates will be written about the golden age of memes at the beginning of the 21st century, 22nd century memes will be worthless trash in comparison.

rec0ded1

Like others have mentioned dancing baby, ytmnd, hamster dance, etc. Memes have been around since the dawn of the internet. I believe running around quoting movie lines during recess as a kid was a form of memememing before the internet existed.

Now play him off keyboard cat...

pzYvria.gif

Lothar

Banned
Like others have mentioned dancing baby, ytmnd, hamster dance, etc. Memes have been around since the dawn of the internet. I believe running around quoting movie lines during recess as a kid was a form of memememing before the internet existed.

Now play him off keyboard cat...

pzYvria.gif

Like others have mentioned, they were not everywhere. I've been on forums since 1996. I don't know what hamster dance is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom