• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The internet took a turn for the worse once memes surfaced

Status
Not open for further replies.
MyredaB.jpg

Lautaro

I do think that cultural artifacts like memes are being leveraged in pop culture to take our focus off of more important, longer-term stuff. Like how to displace the rich, old white guys running this show.

You see, you could have said the same with a meme: "wake up, sheeple!!"

I agree with you to a point. Memes are the laziest form of humour, and it's quite deflatng to read a thread title and be able to guess to almost 100% accuracy what recyled images and gifs you're going to see for the 50th time this week. Most of them aren't even funny. Like that stupid pinnochio face down in a puddle one. Maybe it was funny at a time, but it stops being funny when you're exposed to it in practically every thread. Same with Dat Boi. Nobody actually finds Dat Boi funny because no one actually knows what it means. They just pretend they do in order to fit in.

Maybe the memes themselves aren't the problem, because once in a while a genuinley funny one comes along. It's they way that they get picked up and repeated until you want to kill yourself if you have to see it one more time that bothers me. Like there's little originality left on the internet discussions. People just repeat the same memes and gifs over and over as if that's some form of actual discussion.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Do you even remember the origin of the memes? I theorized it became around the titi of MGS Rising the memes when from ideas to Memetic images. Like how we from nanomachines
to
NANOMACHINES SON!
And
200% Glad.

Memes are the internet forum equivelant of an in-joke between family/friends/partners etc.

It fullfills a human social need in a unique way.

PsychBat!

Banned
I dunno I think the rampant proliferation of racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia and the rest of the mixed bag of bigotry ruined the Internet more than pictures with text on em.

But that's just me.

♪every party needs a pooper that's why they invited you♫

Wiseblade

1) the past 4 years? You don't know what a meme is if you think they were created 4 years ago.

2) The only thing close to an issue is the staying power of memes in the last few years. Memes are fleeting by nature and are funny/entertaining in the moment. Rage faces stopped being funny years ago, but they're still everywhere. It prevents new memes that could reach a greater audience hitting the mainstream.

Memes have existed for millennia, the internet just made them more visible.

Examples include the Sator Square, and Abracadabra a word the Romans used as a part of their magic spells all the way back to the 3rd century. Ancient memes have even crossed continents, the architectural motif known as the Three Hares originated in China during the 6th century and traveled all the way to England.

The only problem is the internet enabling goddamn 12 year olds to copy-paste them ad nauseam.

stilgar

u mad bro?

Some are bad, some are good, a lot are tired. It's cool, and a interesting way for the internet culture to make it into mainstream medias.

I don't recall memes not existing on the internet ever. They just weren't called memes.

The prevalence of memes skyrocketed a millionfold in the past 4 or 5 years. Memes existing in the past is meaningless because avoiding them was rather easy and threads were usually not flodded with that crap bar 4chan and possibly other sites I didn't frequent.

I remember most of the memes (although we didn't call them memes) of the mid 2000s as well, but subjectively I'd say troll faces were the first step to memes being everywhere. 60% of the posts in this thread make precisely zero sense to me without googling and I do not recall getting punished so quickly for missing out on some rubbish meme in the past.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
They were around back then too, just not nearly as frequent.

They bore me, they're overused, and they only serve to inform me who not to listen to.

I wish people could just use language, plain and simple language. No abbreviations just because you're too damn lazy to type for half a second longer.

The internet just shot itself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about online culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in real life where you can become successful by being funny. If you spam the same jokes over and over on the internet, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the average person, after hearing about this, is not going to want to consume humor from any site, nor will they view any of the sites on the internet. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but the internet has alienated an entire market with this move.

Shitposters, publicly apologize and cancel all memes for the internet or you can kiss your audience goodbye.

Firemind

They were around back then too, just not nearly as frequent.

They bore me, they're overused, and they only serve to inform me who not to listen to.

I wish people could just use language, plain and simple language. No abbreviations just because you're too damn lazy to type for half a second longer.
what about lack of capitalization and punctuation though

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If you were on the internet in the late 90's you have a terrible memory.

Now let me sell you this Rare Pepe I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom