• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DodgerSan

Rightly or wrongly, that's what I'm doing - I'm not all far (I think) from getting one of my regular teamsters up to his max level, and then from there, I take it there's some magical combo of prerequisites needed to evolve them?

I should really try to make sense of that wiki thing sometime, however loosely translated Google delivers it.

Puzzle & Dragons

Speaking of P&D, I wonder why it's not available on the UK store? Had to get it from the US store :/

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I've been enjoying Most Wanted, it's pretty great for the price (0,89), the first racer I've enjoyed on iPad2 since Real Racing 2. The controls are pretty good though with less options (you can't map a manual gas pedal for example, the nitro can't be mapped to anything but swipe up with breaking and drifting also not mappable to anything other than tap/hold on the left/right of the screen respectively). I can't seem to hold the car steady in the center or make minor adjustments as easily as in Real Racing 2 and the art style sometimes makes it hard to see what turns are coming ahead. There's also no interior camera, just third person and bumper. That's about all the issues I have noticed. Oh, and I guess there's no multiplayer beyond comparing times in events or something, I haven't tried to explore that. The frame rate seems okay on iPad2 too, steady if not great, the game looks and controls pretty good and there seems to be a decent amount of cars, tracks and events so I'm happy with it.

Flunkie

Banned
Has Ghost Trick ever been on sale? I want to buy all the chapters, but waiting for a price drop. Also, is this mini game free or after you have the whole game?
Not that I know of, because I've been wanting to buy the full game too. C'mon Apple, release a new iPad mini already. I'll buy it.

Also yeah I hate how I always feel like I'm doing the wrong thing in P&D. I was enjoying it more when I was blindly playing it how I wanted, now I'm trying to conform to all these rules and considering starting over my level 16 account just for a better starting monster, etc. I restarted on iPad and got an awesome 5* two-element one so I dunno what do do with that. I really want to make a red team but the one I got was green/blue.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah, the cable isn't long enough to reach my bed from the wall.

Thanks, but I need one for iPad mini.
This probably won't help but for those who have Apple keyboards, Apple does issue replacement USB extender cables for those (to 'replace' the bundled extension cable) which are fully usable with all iOS devices.

Yottamole

Banned
Has Ghost Trick ever been on sale? I want to buy all the chapters, but waiting for a price drop. Also, is this mini game free or after you have the whole game?
Never before, but looks like it's on sale now. You can buy the full game for $8 instead of $10 until 1/11.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
8swS3.png

Oh wow, Ghost Trick all chapters IAP is indeed on sale (down from $10), alfrednever.gif am cry.

Tried the mini-game, such a random update. It's a sliding puzzle with a moving picture that lets you select the difficulty. Three different pictures to choose from. According to the description you need to clear the game at least once to unlock it, so you need to have all the chapters in order to play it. Thankfully I had my save backed up (and the app, since it's on the huge side). Took some screencaps:

RsBTU.png
2iIxh.png

QxKQ9.png
vGJAm.png

Dungeon Village is down to a buck right now. Get it.

Also, TWEWY iPhone or ipad?
I can vouch for the iPhone version being good and I heard the iPad one is fine too, so it depends on where you plan to be playing it. SE went down the asshole route with this one and made it so you can't play the iPhone version on the iPad, which is weird since their following big port-release turned out to be universal (FFIV).

Score would be so awsome if you could see videoclips of the real goals as well

Score was kind of annoying. You'd get two stars then do almost exactly the same thing and get three stars because you managed to pass a pixel to the left or something. So many times it happened I just got sick of it because it seemed almost random in the end as to what it actually wanted.

SeanR1221

So why do some games have iCloud saving but aren't listed under the iCloud backup settings?

Into the Dead and Grim Joggers both do this.

kottila

Score was kind of annoying. You'd get two stars then do almost exactly the same thing and get three stars because you managed to pass a pixel to the left or something. So many times it happened I just got sick of it because it seemed almost random in the end as to what it actually wanted.

Got it for free, so I'm uust playing through it once remembering all the great momenta. Gave up three starring everything early in the game

Got it for free, so I'm uust playing through it once remembering all the great momenta. Gave up three starring everything early in the game

Yeah, I can't ignore three stars when three stars are there to get :lol

I think I'd have probably had a lot of fun with it if it weren't for that, but they just sapped all the enjoyment from it and it felt more like work.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Any iOS JRPGs you can recommend guys? I've just completed Secret of Mana iOS and thinking about getting Vay since it's the only JRPG I haven't played, and it's the most affordable one. Here's my cross off list basically:

Chrono Trigger - Played millions of times
Final Fantasy Tactics - Played on PS1 and not a fan of tactics games
Crimson Gem Saga - I have it for PSP, didn't really like it
The World Ends With You - I have it for NDS
Final Fantasy I - Completed on PSP
Final Fantasy II - Completed on PSP
Final Fantasy III - Have it on PSV (PSP download) and completed the NES version
Final Fantasy IV - Completed the 2D remake on PSP, no interest on the 3D one
Lunar: Silver Star Story - Played it on PS1

I have Chaos Rings but is it any good?

Also, are there any good Kemco JRPGs? There seem to be a lot though.

Maybe not exactly the same, but Adventure Bar Story is pretty good. (Might be Korean though? :D )

PFD

Any iOS JRPGs you can recommend guys? I've just completed Secret of Mana iOS and thinking about getting Vay since it's the only JRPG I haven't played, and it's the most affordable one. Here's my cross off list basically:

Chrono Trigger - Played millions of times
Final Fantasy Tactics - Played on PS1 and not a fan of tactics games
Crimson Gem Saga - I have it for PSP, didn't really like it
The World Ends With You - I have it for NDS
Final Fantasy I - Completed on PSP
Final Fantasy II - Completed on PSP
Final Fantasy III - Have it on PSV (PSP download) and completed the NES version
Final Fantasy IV - Completed the 2D remake on PSP, no interest on the 3D one
Lunar: Silver Star Story - Played it on PS1

I have Chaos Rings but is it any good?

Also, are there any good Kemco JRPGs? There seem to be a lot though.

Damn, that's a lot of JRPGS.

Check out Cthulhu Saves the World. It's quite fun and humorous.

I just had to ask apple for a one time bump on my iTunes Connect app name reserve, so this means that my game will finally be released... sometime in the next 180 days. Need to pull my finger out.

8swS3.png

Oh wow, Ghost Trick all chapters IAP is indeed on sale (down from $10), alfrednever.gif am cry.

Tried the mini-game, such a random update. It's a sliding puzzle with a moving picture that lets you select the difficulty. Three different pictures to choose from. According to the description you need to clear the game at least once to unlock it, so you need to have all the chapters in order to play it. Thankfully I had my save backed up (and the app, since it's on the huge side). Took some screencaps:

RsBTU.png
2iIxh.png

QxKQ9.png
vGJAm.png

I can vouch for the iPhone version being good and I heard the iPad one is fine too, so it depends on where you plan to be playing it. SE went down the asshole route with this one and made it so you can't play the iPhone version on the iPad, which is weird since their following big port-release turned out to be universal (FFIV).
Thanks for the heads up. Buying it

ParityBit

Blue mermaid is probably one of the best healer in the game. There's probably only one or two others that compare in terms of healing. It'll make a good leader if you're having trouble surviving in certain dungeons. Golems are also amazing if you evolve them.

OK so now I am just grinding. But I loose stamina so fast. Whats the best way to grind so I can keep playing?

PittaGAF

So why do some games have iCloud saving but aren't listed under the iCloud backup settings?

Always wondered the same.
Ravenmark does that too.
Not that I complain...I wish every game did that (so I could delete and reinstall at will).

seady

Puzzle & Dragons is insanely popular over here in Asia. Having Final Fantasy designers creating its characters are a major plus too.

Love the random daily events and rare drop of monsters. Really add a lot of fun to the game.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
If no one else is planning it already I can take a stab at January. It'll be bare bones on jan 1st though due to a ringing hangover but that's to be expected right? :)

It's probably not iCloud. A lot of games save stuff on their own servers and tie your progress to your Game Center account, for example.

KtSlime

Was excited to see Ghost Trick on sale, was disappointed to see that it does not contain the Japanese localization. Capcom already fooled me once with their sub-par English only port of Phoenix Wright which they quickly abandoned and replaced, will not fall for it again.

Was excited to see Ghost Trick on sale, was disappointed to see that it does not contain the Japanese localization. Capcom already fooled me once with their sub-par English only port of Phoenix Wright which they quickly abandoned and replaced, will not fall for it again.
But Ghost Trick English localization is great...

KtSlime

But Ghost Trick English localization is great...

But I want to play the puzzles in Japanese. Sorry, I don't buy (at least try not to buy, the AppStore on the iPhone doesn't list languages like iTunes does, so occasionally one slips through) games where the publisher locks the localization to a region. It's a similar stance to those who don't by games that aren't universal.

But I want to play the puzzles in Japanese. Sorry, I don't buy (at least try not to buy, the AppStore on the iPhone doesn't list languages like iTunes does, so occasionally one slips through) games where the publisher locks the localization to a region. It's a similar stance to those who don't by games that aren't universal.

You're free to switch to a Japanese iTunes account and make your purchase there instead. It released nearly a year before the International version did, even.

KtSlime

You're free to switch to a Japanese iTunes account and make your purchase there instead. It released nearly a year before the International version did, even.

Are the IAP locked so that I would need to pay inflated prices on an "imported" iTunes card? Or can I switch to my US account when buying the IAP and they will work in the Japanese release?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Puzzle & Dragons is insanely popular over here in Asia. Having Final Fantasy designers creating its characters are a major plus too.

Love the random daily events and rare drop of monsters. Really add a lot of fun to the game.

Yep. I got a divine azure mask from the pal machine today, was shocked. Need it too since I'm doing a grass/dark dragon team (no idea why an azure mask is green...).

I reached the part of Puzzle & Dragons where it stops being a fun little Pokemon + Bejeweled mashup and turns into a hellspawn demon bent on showing you the true meaning of despair.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I reached the part of Puzzle & Dragons where it stops being a fun little Pokemon + Bejeweled mashup and turns into a hellspawn demon bent on showing you the true meaning of despair.
Yeah I play iOS games to escape from my girlfriend not emulate her.

Flunkie

Banned
So what do I do with this?

8430E098-2E78-44BA-9958-007155DC1836-6847-000001001836C734.jpg
That's exactly what it says it is. "Enhance material." Use it to power up your other monsters in power-up fusion. It's pretty worthless for anything else, like evolution material is for anything not dealing with evolve fusion.

That's exactly what it says it is. "Enhance material." Use it to power up your other monsters in power-up fusion. It's pretty worthless for anything else, like evolution material is for anything not dealing with evolve fusion.

But you can only use it with certain monsters? When I choose to evolve, no one is eligible.

xCobalt

OK so now I am just grinding. But I loose stamina so fast. Whats the best way to grind so I can keep playing?

Since the game is free, the stamina system is intended to limit the playtime and hopefully act as a source of income for the developers. Just play as you would and take breaks to regain your stamina.

So what do I do with this?
Metal dragons grant a large amount of exp. Even more so if you can fuse them with the same element. Every day there is a metal dragon dungeon that spawns every 5 hours and they can grant a huge amount of exp. Just check the special dungeon every hour until you see it and it'll appear again 5 hours from then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom