• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heringer

Any iOS JRPGs you can recommend guys? I've just completed Secret of Mana iOS and thinking about getting Vay since it's the only JRPG I haven't played, and it's the most affordable one. Here's my cross off list basically:

Chrono Trigger - Played millions of times
Final Fantasy Tactics - Played on PS1 and not a fan of tactics games
Crimson Gem Saga - I have it for PSP, didn't really like it
The World Ends With You - I have it for NDS
Final Fantasy I - Completed on PSP
Final Fantasy II - Completed on PSP
Final Fantasy III - Have it on PSV (PSP download) and completed the NES version
Final Fantasy IV - Completed the 2D remake on PSP, no interest on the 3D one
Lunar: Silver Star Story - Played it on PS1

I have Chaos Rings but is it any good?

Also, are there any good Kemco JRPGs? There seem to be a lot though.

Ash. It's a classic 2D JRPG with writing far better than your typical JRPG.

Nobody makes a longer cable? I already have an USB extension cord.

I feel your pain. I bought a 3rd generation iPod back in the day-and Apple used to go all out. You got a case, a dock, a longer cable, earbuds and a wall charger!! Now you only get the smaller cable and the earbuds. I don't know why they don't make longer cables for those that need them-I get packing in shorter standard ones with the iOS devices-but sometimes you need a longer cable. I have a charger behind my nightstand and the cable just barely reaches the front of it. If it were longer I could use my phone in bed-but as it is now it can only charge...

Yanksfan

Big Win games are awesome, but they get old extremely fast.

Yea, I can see getting burned out in a bit. Still digging it though. I wish they had a user marketplace to sell/trade cards. Also would like to play Gamecenter friends. It's not like the random matches are always fair matchups anyhow.

iOS GAF I'm looking for a few people to review my Kickstarter campaign preview and take a survey on it. All told it should take <30 minutes and everyone that takes the survey is eligible to receive a free copy of the game if it is funded. If you're interested let me know and I'll send the links.

If I can access it at work, I will do so. Would like to help a fellow GAF member rather than sitting around watching TV.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Does something like Phoenix Wright or Hotel Dusk exist that is good? I know of Ghost Trick, but I already played that on DS (loved it, btw).

I was something with a mystery story, lots of dialogue, with puzzles of some kind in there.

ParityBit

You can actually get many rares just off of dungeon drops. Most of the bosses you fight can be gotten.

So .... Once you have your main good guy, do you just keep grinding to raise the stats of one or two of your others?

I have 2 pulls on the rare and got nadda. A couple Pal pulls also. Also nadda! Right now I am just trying to raise my red dragon, but I do not have anything else worth really using!

So for those that caught the last stream, I've been obsessing over this song that I first played on IIDX Tricoro and immediately bought for jubeat plus. In sharing it, I found out from someone who recognized the artist's name that it's by the same guy that did the soundtrack to both Jet Set Radio games. Definitely going to have to give them a try.

Remy

So for those that caught the last stream, I've been obsessing over this song that I first played on IIDX Tricoro and immediately bought for jubeat plus. In sharing it, I found out from someone who recognized the artist's name that it's by the same guy that did the soundtrack to both Jet Set Radio games. Definitely going to have to give them a try.

Can I share a Bemani nerd laugh that the vocal line is the same one that was sampled in Route 80S from 6th Style?

Wish they'd release that pack for jukebeat, finding it harder and harder to want to juggle iTunes accounts for DLC...

I feel your pain. I bought a 3rd generation iPod back in the day-and Apple used to go all out. You got a case, a dock, a longer cable, earbuds and a wall charger!! Now you only get the smaller cable and the earbuds. I don't know why they don't make longer cables for those that need them-I get packing in shorter standard ones with the iOS devices-but sometimes you need a longer cable. I have a charger behind my nightstand and the cable just barely reaches the front of it. If it were longer I could use my phone in bed-but as it is now it can only charge...

Yeah, the cable isn't long enough to reach my bed from the wall.

Thanks, but I need one for iPad mini.

Goli

Does something like Phoenix Wright or Hotel Dusk exist that is good? I know of Ghost Trick, but I already played that on DS (loved it, btw).

I was something with a mystery story, lots of dialogue, with puzzles of some kind in there.

A Scar of the Doll is kinda like that.

Can I share a Bemani nerd laugh that the vocal line is the same one that was sampled in Route 80S from 6th Style?

Wish they'd release that pack for jukebeat, finding it harder and harder to want to juggle iTunes accounts for DLC...

Wow, it's been years since I've heard Route 80s. I wonder where the vocals were originally sampled from?

Given jukebeat's Konami music packs are already using material from the copious packs, if they continue releasing packs at a rate of once a month we should have LUV CAN SAVE U by Summer next year...

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Has Ghost Trick ever gone on sale on iOS. Been itching to play it soon on my new Mini...

Goli

Knights of Pen and Paper is 13000 credits on FreeAppSlots now.
Also, Chaos Rings for 35000 credits, so ULTROS! could download it for free and see how CR is by himself :p.

GeekyDad

It saddens me to say, but Jet Set Radio fucking blows. The controls and collision detection are hellish -- utter shit on a cracker.

C5F2B900-0789-4105-9FC6-47733A2CEDE3-2081-0000001F07224D0D.jpg

Took me 14 tries to get one. Now I can finally start playing!

So NOW what.

RedSwirl

Sucks that I can't find any old school-style first-person dungeon crawlers optimized for iPad. Wizardry, Undercroft, and The Quest are all iPhone-only. It'd be great if they actually did get out an iOS version of Legend of Grimrock.

oipic

So NOW what.

Very nice! Wish I'd known about this whole roll-until-you-get-a-5-star-piece-of-awesome before I had poured a few hours into my lowly bunch of plodders, but... oh well. Still, it's been fun, it's a well done game, all told.

Currently grinding a bit (laboriously) to farm for power-up fusion fodder to get some leveling done - but like everything else in this game, there's a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that I'm doing something incorrectly, and handicapping my progress somehow.

Very nice! Wish I'd known about this whole roll-until-you-get-a-5-star-piece-of-awesome before I had poured a few hours into my lowly bunch of plodders, but... oh well. Still, it's been fun, it's a well done game, all told.

Currently grinding a bit (laboriously) to farm for power-up fusion fodder to get some leveling done - but like everything else in this game, there's a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that I'm doing something incorrectly, and handicapping my progress somehow.

That's what I'm afraid of. Do I just keep getting low level monsters and then fuse them with my powerful ones?

This game needs an OT. Can I increase my max stamina or increase the recovery rate?

oipic

That's what I'm afraid of. Do I just keep getting low level monsters and then fuse them with my powerful ones?

Rightly or wrongly, that's what I'm doing - I'm not all far (I think) from getting one of my regular teamsters up to his max level, and then from there, I take it there's some magical combo of prerequisites needed to evolve them?

I should really try to make sense of that wiki thing sometime, however loosely translated Google delivers it.

What game is this?

Puzzle & Dragons

hongcha

Any iOS JRPGs you can recommend guys? I've just completed Secret of Mana iOS and thinking about getting Vay since it's the only JRPG I haven't played, and it's the most affordable one. Here's my cross off list basically:

I have Chaos Rings but is it any good?

Also, are there any good Kemco JRPGs? There seem to be a lot though.

Chaos Rings 2 is superb, way better than I was expecting (excellent touch screen control interface, too). The Kemco JRPGs are average to bad, I'd avoid them unless you have absolutely nothing else to play on any of the consoles you own.

Vay, a rather average game overall, is pretty hard to play through due to the lack of dpad controls. I'm still hoping they update the game with that.

A simple, lovely old school Dragon Quest-type game is Guardian Saga. Highly recommended.

This game needs an OT. Can I increase my max stamina or increase the recovery rate?

I'm working on it! Gimme a day or two to finish it up. Anybody want to make a banner?

Max stamina will increase as you level up. Of course, so will the stamina requirements to run a dungeon. For the most part, if you keep clearing dungeons without dying you'll get just enough EXP to level up, which refills your stamina bar.

xCobalt

So .... Once you have your main good guy, do you just keep grinding to raise the stats of one or two of your others?

I have 2 pulls on the rare and got nadda. A couple Pal pulls also. Also nadda! Right now I am just trying to raise my red dragon, but I do not have anything else worth really using!

I definitely focused on my starter for awhile, evolving it a couple of times. Generally, monsters you get from the rare egg machines tend be rather viable for your team early on. Which monsters did you get?

Pretty much but remember that when you fuse monsters of the same element, they grant 50% extra exp. I had a team of every element so I could effectively use all of the random monsters I got. Some monsters grant very little exp and are classified as Evo materials...they are used for evolving monsters. It's better to stock up on them or just sell for money.

ParityBit

I definitely focused on my starter for awhile, evolving it a couple of times. Generally, monsters you get from the rare egg machines tend be rather viable for your team early on. Which monsters did you get?

I got a blue mermaid and green toy tops. I also got both a red and blue golem. *sigh*

Pretty much but remember that when you fuse monsters of the same element, they grant 50% extra exp. I had a team of every element so I could effectively use all of the random monsters I got. Some monsters grant very little exp and are classified as Evo materials...they are used for evolving monsters. It's better to stock up on them or just sell for money.

Just got a green ego monster. Can I only use it to only evolve green monsters? I don't have enough coins yet anyway.

xCobalt

I got a blue mermaid and green toy tops. I also got both a red and blue golem. *sigh*

Blue mermaid is probably one of the best healer in the game. There's probably only one or two others that compare in terms of healing. It'll make a good leader if you're having trouble surviving in certain dungeons. Golems are also amazing if you evolve them. Here's the final version of the red golem. As a leader, it can counterattack for 10x the damage done which can one shot many monsters and even some bosses. Toytops can eventually evolve to a monster that can resist 50% damage to two elements which can be pretty useful as well.

Just got a green ego monster. Can I only use it to only evolve green monsters? I don't have enough coins yet anyway.

Pretty much. When you go to evolve a monster, it'll show a list of "ingredients" needed to evolve them. Monsters have to be at their max level to evolve though. You can still select them so you can plan ahead if they're close.

Giard

I would like to try out Puzzle & Dragons...how do you download it? I'm in Canada, it says that I need to go to the Japanese Store, but when I click "Change Store", it says "Cannot connect to iTunes store". What can I do?

PFD

You guys should check out Roaming Fortress. Free to download, with an IAP to unlock the full game.

The gameplay is similar to Shellrazer, but it's harder and the upgrades are more involved. The game also looks beautiful on the ipad retina display.

I would like to try out Puzzle & Dragons...how do you download it? I'm in Canada, it says that I need to go to the Japanese Store, but when I click "Change Store", it says "Cannot connect to iTunes store". What can I do?
It should be available in your region. Are you trying to download app?

How do you reset over in puzzle dragon?
From the forthcoming OT:
iOS
1. Delete the app and redownload it
2. Jailbreak your phone or use a program like iFunBox and delete data048.bin. May be a little flaky. Remember to make a backup.

Android
1. Delete the app and redownload it
2. ICS or later: under Settings, go to the app and choose "Clear Data" (I don't actually have an Android so I don&#8217;t know the exact steps). Otherwise root your device

xCobalt

English version is only available in the US. I'm from Canada as well and I had to make a new itunes account and set my region to US.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

So NOW what.

I rolled several times and started with Amaterasu but decided to go with this bad boy when I got him out of the machine using gems I got from dungeons. Currently working on a grass/dark all dragon team. Have two Dark Dragon Knights which need to be evolved from 4* to 5* to become dragon type and of course my starter dragon (green). When I use another ADK as leader the damage is already pretty insane. Always have plenty of orb/heart changing ready to go as well. Problem is getting the Dark Dragon Knights evolved; just the thought of all the experience they need has kind of put a damper on how much I play.

photo1acsjj.png

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The fuck why is puzzle and dragons not available in Europe yet? I swear to god Japanese devs and publishers deserve what's happening to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom