• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParityBit

You can actually get many rares just off of dungeon drops. Most of the bosses you fight can be gotten. Here's a useful wiki (poorly translated using google). If you go to the list of normal dungeons on the left, it'll show you what notable drops are there. Drop rates tend to be pretty low for bosses though.

Oh wow. I though you could only get rates from the machine. I don't get many pulls at that!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does FFIV perform as well as III did for people with an iPhone 4? Or is it more sluggish?

Dream League is so much better than Fifa 13 and it's free. Haven't tried First Touch Soccer yet, what's the difference between that and Dream League?
First Touch Soccer is one of their earlier games when they were still a part of X2 games. Fantastic for its time. They branched out to become independent (I think) and Dream League Soccer is basically a game that took advantage of an updated engine (better graphics, more animations, etc). Their next big game will be the next installment of First Touch Soccer sometime within the next couple months, I believe.

First Touch is still fine, just really outdated graphics and gameplay engine. Good thing is that you can import kits and edit team names.

Score is their best game in my opinion.

soldat7

Here's what I'm worried about with FFT. Given the different resolutions between iPhone and iPad, I think S-E has done something funny with pixel stretching (not to mention pixel filtering) on the iPad. Observe the images from the App Store:

iPhone:

TipeK.jpg

iPad:

Am I crazy here, or is the iPhone version the one to get on the iPad? The pixels appear to be sharper on the iPhone version and the black mage less "fat", or stretched. Also, the summons (whatever you call it) looks better on the iPhone version. You can also see a difference with the goblin-thing enemies (the look better on the iPhone screenshot.)

Which one GAF???

Here's what I'm worried about with FFT. Given the different resolutions between iPhone and iPad, I think S-E has done something funny with pixel stretching (not to mention pixel filtering) on the iPad. Observe the images from the App Store:

iPhone:

iPad:

Am I crazy here, or is the iPhone version the one to get on the iPad? The pixels appear to be sharper on the iPhone version and the black mage less "fat", or stretched. Also, the summons (whatever you call it) looks better on the iPhone version. You can also see a difference with the goblin-thing enemies (the look better on the iPhone screenshot.)

Which one GAF???
Frankly, they look the same to me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They're different but it's hard to tell which is the stretched one. Either iPhone is stretched vertically or iPad stretched horizontally (or rather squished vertically). The difference is pretty obvious. Well, you can probably tell by the pixels.

soldat7

They're different but it's hard to tell which is the stretched one. Either iPhone is stretched vertically or iPad stretched horizontally (or rather squished vertically). The difference is pretty obvious. Well, you can probably tell by the pixels.

I agree. And there are other screenshots which show similar results. I think S-E messed up with the iPad version, not bothering to mind the horizontal to vertical ratios (1.33 for iPhone and 1.5 for iPad), a subtle, but noticeable difference. It's weird, because I would expect the iPhone version to be stretched, if they had made that mistake.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So is the freezing of FFT on the iPad as bad as the reviews claim? I would buy it on sale, but if it freezes every single battle, and even resets the entire iPad, I am definitely not interested.

Played around with Baroque some more. I'm surprised that this has slipped under the radar with the game being *free (till you die, but you can load you last save and keep playing) and it being a 3D rouge like, not sure that there are many of those especially on iOS. The camera is way too close behind the main character so it's hard to see your surroundings. I found it easier to turn the camera speed up all the way. Aside from the awful camera placement and the awkward button layout, the game is actually pretty decent. Graphics are pretty impressive too, although I don't know how well they hold up to the PS2 or Wii versions as I never played them. I really enjoy the grotesqe looking enemies and the industrial looking enviroments. Unlocking the full game costs $9 but honestly I am probably going to wait till the next update to see if they fix any of the major issues.

Flunkie

Banned
Just started playing Big Win Basketball by Hothead Games. Its a lot like Madden Ultimate Team in that you get packs of cards and build your team up from the bottom by earning new packs of cards and better players. You don't actually play the games, just sim (and you can watch them play out if you like).

So far, pretty fun if you are into that sort of thing. They also have them for football, baseball, hockey and soccer.
Big Win games are awesome, but they get old extremely fast.

sephi22

I just loaded my iTunes wallet with $20 and I need to kill time during a 15 hour flight. Besides the games in the OP, which other games are recommended?

SP-only please. I have an iPod touch 3Gen.

solarus

iPhone:

iPad:

Which one GAF???
Wut. They look the same. Also the ipad version doesn't seem to have the plethora of reviews calling it crash happy, so i bought it on that basis alone.

GeekyDad

Any thoughts on Autumn Dynasty for ipad?

For iPad, no. But I'm enjoying it on iPhone. It controls okay, though sometimes moving the camera and moving units gets confused. The presentation is also a bit low-rent. The story and dialogue are interesting, but the cutscenes and menus could use some panache. The only real issue I have with the game is the lack of a mini map. You can zoom out a great bit, but without a mini map, there are still limitations on micromanaging units. But it's a pretty darn good RTS overall. You build structures (though don't require resources or specific builder units), and tactics are exactly what you'd expect from a fairly complex RTS. Pathing, as with any RTS, has its quirks but is generally quite good.

The Lost Treasures of Infocom app is really worth trying. They spent some time making the interface touch friendly, even if it would obviously work better on tablets than a phone. You can pull up the original map while in game, and create label icons for frequent words as much as you want. Plus you can browse all the original materials, quite a loving package.

And you can actually 'interact' with some of the feelies that were included in the original packages. They made 3D models of them, so you can rotate them or even use them as originally intended (the wheel from A Mind Forever Voyaging). It seems they really did a great job.

PFD

I just loaded my iTunes wallet with $20 and I need to kill time during a 15 hour flight. Besides the games in the OP, which other games are recommended?

SP-only please. I have an iPod touch 3Gen.

Swordigo (get it while it's free)
Knights of Pen and Paper
Dream of Pixels
Dungeon Raid
Kingdom Rush

Gaspode_T

Seriously the first thing I would get on iOS is App Shopper, I have gotten literally hundreds of games for free from it. Popular->Price Drops->Filter to free. That's it, not very hard to track daily.

Speaking of games free, Sonic Jump was free this morning, it seems pretty good for a Doodle Jump clone.

I have been enjoying this stupid F2P game Happy Street but I suddenly need moon stones and the full moon never seems to appear. So game has gone from stress relief to stress inducing until I get over that bump. The game is better than most F2P games and has some funny one liners here and there, I am sure it has been pimped here before but only a few people from GAF seems to be playing it seriously. Don't buy Flooz, you don't seem to have to to unlock most of the game - you just need patience...

Speaking of F2P - CSR Racing is pretty fun as stress relief as well but I bet they did enough math to always make it so you barely don't have enough coins to buy cars every tier upgrade, I am about to move to Tier 3 and have 17 coins but it is probably not enough to buy a car and I don't feel like grinding to buy one with cash, so it is like the trick of "oh now you are hooked on this game and you want a cool car, either spend 5 hours grinding or pay up buster"

Seriously the first thing I would get on iOS is App Shopper, I have gotten literally hundreds of games for free from it. Popular->Price Drops->Filter to free. That's it, not very hard to track daily.

Speaking of games free, Sonic Jump was free this morning, it seems pretty good for a Doodle Jump clone.

I have been enjoying this stupid F2P game Happy Street but I suddenly need moon stones and the full moon never seems to appear. So game has gone from stress relief to stress inducing until I get over that bump. The game is better than most F2P games and has some funny one liners here and there, I am sure it has been pimped here before but only a few people from GAF seems to be playing it seriously. Don't buy Flooz, you don't seem to have to to unlock most of the game - you just need patience...

Speaking of F2P - CSR Racing is pretty fun as stress relief as well but I bet they did enough math to always make it so you barely don't have enough coins to buy cars every tier upgrade, I am about to move to Tier 3 and have 17 coins but it is probably not enough to buy a car and I don't feel like grinding to buy one with cash, so it is like the trick of "oh now you are hooked on this game and you want a cool car, either spend 5 hours grinding or pay up buster"
The only thing that you kinda need iap is the boss cars, but otherwise it's pretty smooth. Best most of it and didn't feel constrained outside of the fairly reasonable wait time for recharge.

Gaspode_T

The only thing that you kinda need iap is the boss cars, but otherwise it's pretty smooth. Best most of it and didn't feel constrained outside of the fairly reasonable wait time for recharge.

Hmm, I didn't check the price for the Tier 3 cars yet actually - I just kind of assumed it would be 30 plus...I actually almost had enough for a Tier 2 "nicer car" with coins when I moved to Tier 2 but I kept missing the 50% off deals by 1 or 2 coins - I swear that must be on purpose too...most people who play these games are plopping down real money cash at this point trust me...

At least it is not as bad as the stupid crap people in Japan pay for ("pay $3 to draw a random card! Then do it 300 times because you need to collect them all!" -> compugacha - http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-05/08/japan-social-game-crackdown )

Hmm, I didn't check the price for the Tier 3 cars yet actually - I just kind of assumed it would be 30 plus...I actually almost had enough for a Tier 2 "nicer car" with coins when I moved to Tier 2 but I kept missing the 50% off deals by 1 or 2 coins - I swear that must be on purpose too...most people who play these games are plopping down real money cash at this point trust me...

At least it is not as bad as the stupid crap people in Japan pay for ("pay $3 to draw a random card! Then do it 300 times because you need to collect them all!" -> compugacha - http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-05/08/japan-social-game-crackdown )

Lottery style iap is the key money maker for free 2 play mmos and other stuff lol.

A dollar to reroll the stats on your epic sword... You know you want to!

Which one GAF???

There's no aspect difference in the visuals between the two versions. You can confirm this yourself in Paint. The iPhone version actually has a taller view window than the iPad version though, with the iPad version having more of the view obscured by UI.

When the iPad version was released the App Store description promised it would eventually receive redone art to match the higher resolution. So far it hasn't surfaced.

MasLegio

Banned
what the fuck is this bullshit with Ziggurat?!!

I have bought the app but apparantly the app was replaced with another app and I can no longer download it but have to buy it again.

I thought the guy who wrote the game was some kind of standup guy but it appears he is just another asshole cheating people off their money.

PFD

I have bought the app but apparantly the app was replaced with another app and I can no longer download it but have to buy it again.

I thought the guy who wrote the game was some kind of standup guy but it appears he is just another asshole cheating people off their money.

Yeah, welcome to the app store. Shit like that tends to happen every now and then (not the dev's fault in this case.) Your best bet is to save all your apps on your PC.

Zeth

Happens sometimes but don't hold it against this dev in particular. He didn't intend to rip people off AFAIK.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Even if you go through your purchase history and download it from there?

bonesquad

You can download the app still. It's a pain, but even apps removed from the store are still there. Just go to your list of purchased apps. The game won't show up if you do a search, but if you scroll through them all it will be there. This is easier on a computer in iTunes where you can at least sort by name.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any iOS JRPGs you can recommend guys? I've just completed Secret of Mana iOS and thinking about getting Vay since it's the only JRPG I haven't played, and it's the most affordable one. Here's my cross off list basically:

Chrono Trigger - Played millions of times
Final Fantasy Tactics - Played on PS1 and not a fan of tactics games
Crimson Gem Saga - I have it for PSP, didn't really like it
The World Ends With You - I have it for NDS
Final Fantasy I - Completed on PSP
Final Fantasy II - Completed on PSP
Final Fantasy III - Have it on PSV (PSP download) and completed the NES version
Final Fantasy IV - Completed the 2D remake on PSP, no interest on the 3D one
Lunar: Silver Star Story - Played it on PS1

I have Chaos Rings but is it any good?

Also, are there any good Kemco JRPGs? There seem to be a lot though.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

What the dev said earlier this year when it was completely of the App Store.

The fact of the matter is the publishing agreement of ZiGGURAT by Freshùu has now expired. When going through the process of releasing the app back to the developer, a stupid human error was made (totally our fault here at Freshùu -- apologies), which was followed by a technical glitch (rendering the error unfixable for a week -- emails with apple had to be exchanged). It has finally been solved now and the ZiGGURAT app is currently in the process of being reuploaded to Action Button's account

jkanownik

iOS GAF I'm looking for a few people to review my Kickstarter campaign preview and take a survey on it. All told it should take <30 minutes and everyone that takes the survey is eligible to receive a free copy of the game if it is funded. If you're interested let me know and I'll send the links.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
iOS GAF I'm looking for a few people to review my Kickstarter campaign preview and take a survey on it. All told it should take <30 minutes and everyone that takes the survey is eligible to receive a free copy of the game if it is funded. If you're interested let me know and I'll send the links.

PM me.

ParityBit

PM me. I'm up for it. When do you need the survey done by?

Has anyone found it impossible to get certain offers to credit with FreeMyApps? Hotels.com, The Sims and that basketball card thing have me stumped. Is there a fix for this?

Has anyone found it impossible to get certain offers to credit with FreeMyApps? Hotels.com, The Sims and that basketball card thing have me stumped. Is there a fix for this?

Happens with some apps from time to time. The basketball one is messed up just pretend it's not there. There is no fix, it's on the devs to make the points register.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I love how freeappdaily said they're discontinuing at end of January and points will still be available, except they already nuked points a couple days ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom