• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

heringer

Wasn't Soul Calibur updated to 60fps some time after launch? Hopefully MvC2 will receive the same treatment.

Though without online play I'm not sure I would buy this.

Wasn't Soul Calibur updated to 60fps some time after launch? Hopefully MvC2 will receive the same treatment.

Though without online play I'm not sure I would buy this.

If they fix the framerate, I could make a game out of unlocking the characters. For $2.99, I'm fine with that.

I wish Capcom made SFIV Volt universal. I enjoyed it on the iPod touch but the control layout makes it unplayable on iPad. Since MvC2 is universal, maybe they'll give it a shot.

EYEL1NER

So after spending a bit more time with Mahvel, I do have a couple complaints:
-No Taunts (that I have found or figured out how to do)

-When doing DHC's, I cannot utilize all three characters. For example, I can do Cable's Hyper Viper Beam, DHC into Cap's Final Justice, and when I try to DHC into Psylock's Psi-Thrust, it brings out Cable and does his Hyper Viper Beam. Same if I use Psi-Thrust and then Final Justice. I try to bring out Cable for the last hit and it brings Psylock back out. I haven't tried too many other people yet though, so I don't know if those characters are glitched or the game only let's you DHC from character A, to character B, and then back to character A.

-Cannot resize buttons. Things felt cramped on my phone so I just got around to trying the iPad. I don't mind the virtual joystick, but I want to be able to resize the other buttons and make them bigger. I've tried spacing them out, but they still feel too small.

Overall I still am enjoying it. If they could allow me to resize buttons and fix the framerate, I would be very happy with the game.
I wish I had an iCade...

I know I'm a bad person for asking this, but here goes anyway: what are some time-management games that minimize or eliminate the need to interact with other people? I've gotten as much out of Tiny Tower as I can and I'm looking for something different.

Aero Vacation

You need friends to unlock stuff, but there is a "look near people" button, add people, and don't care anymore of any social stuff.

There is buyable cash (and rooms that require that kind of cash), but each time that you upgrade a room up to level 5, you get a cash unit, so you can always grind cheaper rooms and delete them to get cash for the exclusive ones.

So after spending a bit more time with Mahvel, I do have a couple complaints:
-No Taunts (that I have found or figured out how to do)

-When doing DHC's, I cannot utilize all three characters. For example, I can do Cable's Hyper Viper Beam, DHC into Cap's Final Justice, and when I try to DHC into Psylock's Psi-Thrust, it brings out Cable and does his Hyper Viper Beam. Same if I use Psi-Thrust and then Final Justice. I try to bring out Cable for the last hit and it brings Psylock back out. I haven't tried too many other people yet though, so I don't know if those characters are glitched or the game only let's you DHC from character A, to character B, and then back to character A.

-Cannot resize buttons. Things felt cramped on my phone so I just got around to trying the iPad. I don't mind the virtual joystick, but I want to be able to resize the other buttons and make them bigger. I've tried spacing them out, but they still feel too small.

Overall I still am enjoying it. If they could allow me to resize buttons and fix the framerate, I would be very happy with the game.
I wish I had an iCade...

Does it work with iCade?

Having never played Minecraft, is playing the iOS version a good idea? It was recently updated to include crafting, but I'm still unsure of whether it's a decent facsimile of the PC version.

Any opinions?

Having never played Minecraft, is playing the iOS version a good idea? It was recently updated to include crafting, but I'm still unsure of whether it's a decent facsimile of the PC version.

Any opinions?

They have a free (lite) version up now. I tried it on my iPad and I'm just not sure about this game on a portable system. I still need to try the PC version.

Bought Mahvel on my iPhone. Bit shitty that you have to unlock the characters but having the dreamcast version on my Phone is fun for shits and giggles.

Early Verdict: Street Fighter actually worked, this does not... at all. I will have to try it on my iPad later.

Really? :(
I'm gonna get it after work today regardless.

I think they would tell us in the description whether or not it worked on iCade. I'm surprised how few iOS developers support it.

Here's a list of iCade compatible games I've been keeping updated: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34357699&postcount=223

I use this thread on Touch Arcade to help with it: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=96023

The TA thread isn't always updated so I decided to make a list on here, and it's supposed to get added to the OT at some point. I'm slow at updating it at times but it's more organized than the one on TA.

GeekyDad

Saved the $2.99 from MvsC2 and put it towards Mage Gauntlet. Made the right decision as this game is pretty fun!

Good way of looking at it. I've had that game on my AppShopper wishlist for a while, waiting for it to go on sale, and though I was intending on getting MvC2, I can't imagine having much fun with it without online multiplayer. I might just do the same and finally pick Mage Gauntlet up.

Pastry

Banned
Good way of looking at it. I've had that game on my AppShopper wishlist for a while, waiting for it to go on sale, and though I was intending on getting MvC2, I can't imagine having much fun with it without online multiplayer. I might just do the same and finally pick Mage Gauntlet up.

Do it! It's seriously an awesome game, I had an absolute blast with it.

WoolyNinja

Anyone have impressions? I've yet to find a snowboarding game on iOS that's actually fun (as opposed to just pretty).

Not sure why you need impressions when it's free :p

Anyway, I downloaded it and tried a race and it has a terrible framerate (this is on a new ipad) and is extremely unexciting in my opinion.

Not sure why you need impressions when it's free :p

Anyway, I downloaded it and tried a race and it has a terrible framerate (this is on a new ipad) and is extremely unexciting in my opinion.

because I'm at work and wanted to know whether it's worth VPNing into my home computer to download.

And thanks, I'll pass.

TimeKillr

Just gotta pimp my studio's game once more since it's free today!

Check it out: http://itunes.apple.com/app/blockolicious-hd/id486343023?mt=8

cYGtU.jpg
pG5Vk.jpg

8Mw7Y.jpg

I know some people got it when it came out, but here's your chance, and we've also fixed some things -

1- It's finally universal, and it supports retina on the new iPad
2- The game mode I designed, Marathon, is now in the game. It's a much slower-paced game mode with no time requirement, which makes it very interesting (imo).

It's free, so you have nothing to lose :)

And yes, there's IAP, but you *really* don't need to spend a dime on it if you don't want to - all the IAP does is buying coins, but you don't need coins to play at all (they're used to buy powerups and pre-fill them, but you earn coins as you play so it's not a huge deal).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

cYGtU.jpg
[IM]http://i.imgur.com/pG5Vk.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i.imgur.com/8Mw7Y.jpg[/IMG]

I know some people got it when it came out, but here's your chance, and we've also fixed some things -

1- It's finally universal, and it supports retina on the new iPad
2- The game mode I designed, Marathon, is now in the game. It's a much slower-paced game mode with no time requirement, which makes it very interesting (imo).

It's free, so you have nothing to lose :)

And yes, there's IAP, but you *really* don't need to spend a dime on it if you don't want to - all the IAP does is buying coins, but you don't need coins to play at all (they're used to buy powerups and pre-fill them, but you earn coins as you play so it's not a huge deal).

I've been playing quite a lot of this, it's a very decent match 3 game with lovely visuals. Great for free certainly!

For anyone playing Hunters 2, can you tell me if the hourly bonus tokens stick permanently for such things as +10% armour resistance? Do they stick just until the next set on bonus tokens? Or just for the next mission?

Murmur

cYGtU.jpg

Just a quick question.

First, I really like the game a lot. I grabbed it when it first came out (before marathon was out even). And I'm happy with the Universal update, but it seems to be a new release with no update to universal for the original version. So I have the original and now the universal versions on my phone. And everything I unlocked and all the coins I have don't transfer.

Any word on that? Will the original version get an update to universal? Bit of a slap in the face if it doesn't ...

TimeKillr

Just a quick question.

First, I really like the game a lot. I grabbed it when it first came out (before marathon was out even). And I'm happy with the Universal update, but it seems to be a new release with no update to universal for the original version. So I have the original and now the universal versions on my phone. And everything I unlocked and all the coins I have don't transfer.

Any word on that? Will the original version get an update to universal? Bit of a slap in the face if it doesn't ...

We're looking into something for that, but yeah, that's an issue. :( We initially couldn't do a universal version, and part of the problem is that apparently we can't upgrade 2 versions of an app to a single one (that's the last I heard about that, so I don't know more details).

Believe me, we're well aware of it. I wish there was more I could say but I'm not directly involved with the ongoing development of the game so I don't know exactly what's going on, but I did bring up that issue and the guys told me they were looking into something.

Sorry :(

Murmur

We're looking into something for that, but yeah, that's an issue. :( We initially couldn't do a universal version, and part of the problem is that apparently we can't upgrade 2 versions of an app to a single one (that's the last I heard about that, so I don't know more details).

Believe me, we're well aware of it. I wish there was more I could say but I'm not directly involved with the ongoing development of the game so I don't know exactly what's going on, but I did bring up that issue and the guys told me they were looking into something.

Sorry :(

Appreciate the comment. I understand it's easier said than done. :)

japtor

MotoHeroz is on sale for a pack of gum. Is it worth it? How are the controls? I want to pick my battles.
Worth it and controls pretty well. Also if you have a new iPad the iPhone version it looks decent scaled up, and it's playable there since you can move the controls around a bit.

Not a fan of the whole collection and unlocking setup but it hasn't gotten in the way much, and if you're into that stuff it gives you more stuff to go for.

MasLegio

Banned
had expected more of the Jetpack update after all the hype for it being a major update.

kind of a shit update in the end, was hoping for more content and retina. Instead they just added more items.

Hold on to your jetpacks, kids. This update is huge!!!

After 6 months and over 17 million sales worldwide, Jetpack Joyride continues to receive frequent, high quality free updates!

Today Halfbrick is pleased to announce the biggest and most anticipated update to Jetpack Joyride ever!

This update is a game-changer! The Scientists have been hard at work inventing 15 crazy new Gadgets for you to customize your joyriding experience like never before!! Plus, there are FOUR NEW ACHIEVEMENTS to unlock along with NEW STATS and NEW GADGET related MISSIONS!!!

GADGETS:
AIR BARRYS - Keep running into zappers? Then slip these designer sneakers on and they will help you leap gracefully over obstacles like never before!

NERD REPELLANT - Guaranteed to keep scientists at home sick for the day!

INSTA-BALL - Bounce off the floor instead of going splat. Apart from reducing head-aches, the INSTA-BALL is great for gaining a few extra meters.

GRAVITY BELT - Makes the ground come toward you faster than ever!

MISSILE JAMMER - Replaces the missile guidance program with pictures of kittens... software will only work if the kittens are particularly cute.

TOKEN GIFT - Free final spin token.

FREEZE-O-MATIC - What better way to cool down after a long ride than to be snap frozen in ice. Also good for gaining those precious extra few meters.

X-RAY SPECS - Both fashionable and functional. Great for looking inside things and at things that you are not supposed to see!

GEMOLOGY - Special blingification technique that turns coins into gems!

EZY-DODGE MISSILES - Where have you been all of my life?

MAGNETIC TOKENS - Easy to collect, but prone to wiping nearby electrical devices.

FLYING PIGS - They said it would never happen... turns out FLYING PIGS are more awesome than you imagined!

FREE RIDE - Why Barry never thought to drop into the motor pool to collect a vehicle to start a run before is a mystery!

COIN MAGNET - Like a chick magnet, but doesn't work on chicks... just coins.

LUCKY LAST - Forged from fortunium, the worlds luckiest element!

Reese-015

Ballistic SE rocks. It's not as over-the-top as Infinity Field or Beat Hazard Ultra but it's slick and has a unique classy style and feels like it may have the level of excellence as Super Crossfire in terms of very well balanced and polished gameplay with a great difficulty curve.

bubnbob

Banned
Toying with Bejeweled, since they added Game Center. Man I love Butterflies mode. Can really get into some nice leaderboard battles with that.

AEREC

had expected more of the Jetpack update after all the hype for it being a major update.

kind of a shit update in the end, was hoping for more content and retina. Instead they just added more items.

The gadgets are cool...however I would really love iCloud support though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom