• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO-the app giveaways are much as part of this thread-as the page long discussions of board games, Kairosoft games, and new iOS users popping in twice a page saying "Hey I just got a new iPhone-can anyone recommend a game for me?"

I've never gotten a free code in here-but I've given some away from Starbucks. I have become aware of Monster Flip because of the giveaway-and I'm very grateful-even though I never won a code-because I love the game.

I don't really care about Kairosoft games, but I don't bitch about the long discussions-I just know that at some point the thread is going to come around to another topic.

So again-I say things stay the way they are.

So say we all.

So say we all.

Just wanted to chime my opinion, I am fine with the giveaways and image quoting. I just scroll down past it, heh. I don't think it messes up the thread really.

Onto games, I am currently addicted to Cave Bowling, Run In Crowd, and Feed That Dragon. Good times.

Mrbob

The giveaways aren't a problem. It's spamming giant pictures in the middle of discussion that is the issue. It's annoying and gets in the way. Figure out a better way to do giveaways than having people re-post the same giant image over and over again.

GeekyDad

IMO-the app giveaways are much as part of this thread-as the page long discussions of board games, Kairosoft games, and new iOS users popping in twice a page saying "Hey I just got a new iPhone-can anyone recommend a game for me?"

I've never gotten a free code in here-but I've given some away from Starbucks. I have become aware of Monster Flip because of the giveaway-and I'm very grateful-even though I never won a code-because I love the game.

I don't really care about Kairosoft games, but I don't bitch about the long discussions-I just know that at some point the thread is going to come around to another topic.

So again-I say things stay the way they are.

So say we all.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Well, just tell us what type of replies are acceptable, and I'll try to come up with a few stock responses to shit out here and there.

In any case, I wasn't bitching, I was agreeing. I think it's cheap and awkward. But I don't make the rules or enforce them. I am, however, entitled to my opinion. If they want to fill the thread up with code giveaways, it's not for me to stop them. But thus far, I think we're still within our rights to call it out for what it is: advertising. It's distracting to some of us who would rather come here to discuss/give heads-up about games.

Vyer

The giveaways aren't a problem. It's spamming giant pictures in the middle of discussion that is the issue. It's annoying and gets in the way. Figure out a better way to do giveaways than having people re-post the same giant image over and over again.

Yup. Giveaways are awesome and should be welcome. Just figure out a better way than requoting.

I need a new music name. Nothing's ever filled the whole Groove Coaster left. Hated JukeBeat.

Are you on iPhone/iPod or iPad?

I've been trying out osu!stream off and on - still not quite sure what to think of it, really, but it's definitely a game. A lot of people like Cytus, but I find it boring simply because of how it easy it is to get the highest possible score in every song in the game. Miku Flick is cute but I don't think there's really any hooks to pull people into it if they're not already into Vocaloid music, and the price of admission is really high. There's also ReRave, which I haven't tried personally, but I haven't heard good things.

On the Japan side of things, you can get REFLEC BEAT plus (iPad only despite the name), which is sort of music game air hockey - really hard to describe without playing it. There's also taiko no tatsujin plus, which is just Taiko Drum Master. Both are free with more songs as IAP purchase.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Okay, I'm finally up - for those that missed it last night, I hooked up the iPad and played two songs in jubeat plus on demand after seeing Dash's post, this was the result: http://youtu.be/gtrNHzmuRIc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUWdMc61REA
...and that doesn't seem as hard as some other ones I've seen. There's no way in hell I'm ever going to be able to pass Extreme unless there's an abnormally easy song that I play a lot, I might squeak by with a C. I felt lucky to get a D when I tried any.

jawdrop1.jpg

quote img for a pat on the back

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
@StarCreator I love seeing what effect people use in Jubeat, ha. I saw someone on YouTube pass an Extreme 10 using the duck one, wearing a duck costume. A+

Dash Kappei

So I wanted to buy a pack but they all seem awful at first sight and no way I'm buying a pack where the base difficulty is full of 6s (Advanced right? Or can you have for example an Easy 7 or Hard 2?). Isn't there a Depeche Mode pack or something? Prodigy or maybe Underworld, Daft Punk or Chemical Brothers? Or more vg music packs? I mean the fact I was considering the LADY GAGA pack should tell you something, and I fucking hate Gaga.
For reference, I think the Contra song is absolutely fucking glorious, heaps and bounds above LE and Frogger, although they're kinda decent.
Another problem is that the sound quality on the preview was really nad (Duran Duran pack), I hope it's not like that in the game?

So I wanted to buy a pack but they all seem awful at first sight and no way I'm buying a pack where the base difficulty is full of 6s (Advanced right? Or can you have for example an Easy 7 or Hard 2?). Isn't there a Depeche Mode pack or something? Prodigy or maybe Underworld, Daft Punk or Chemical Brothers? Or more vg music packs? I mean the fact I was considering the LADY GAGA pack should tell you something, and I fucking hate Gaga.
For reference, I think the Contra song is absolutely fucking glorious, heaps and bounds above LE and Frogger, although they're kinda decent.
Another problem is that the sound quality on the preview was really nad (Duran Duran pack), I hope it's not like that in the game?

Yeah, sound quality on the previews is much worse than what you actually get.

There's definitely a lot of variation within difficulty ratings - same as pretty much every game in the Bemani line. The three songs that come with jukebeat are really, really hard for what they're rated, to the point that I think you should probably just add one to each of their ratings and call it a day.

If you want to make suggestions on what direction they should take their licensing, might be worth dropping a comment on the official Facebook page. Closest thing to a direct line to the dev team there is.

Dash Kappei

There's definitely a lot of variation within difficulty ratings - same as pretty much every game in the Bemani line. The three songs that come with jukebeat are really, really hard for what they're rated, to the point that I think you should probably just add one to each of their ratings and call it a day.

If you want to make suggestions on what direction they should take their licensing, might be worth dropping a comment on the official Facebook page. Closest thing to a direct line to the dev team there is.

Thanks! I don't Facebook tho. Considering I'm in love with the Contra song, which is also fun to play, is there any pack you'd suggest? Is the NA version different than EU?

Thanks! I don't Facebook tho. Considering I'm in love with the Contra song, which is also fun to play, is there any pack you'd suggest? Is the NA version different than EU?

Some suggestions were thrown out a week or two back, and those still stand, but mainly I'd just go through the previews and grab what sounds good to you.

As far as I know the only difference between jukebeat in NA and EU is that the EU version doesn't have "Purchase in iTunes" links.

If you have a JP iTunes account, you can also grab jubeat plus just for the 3 songs it provides (different from jukebeat's).

quetz67

Banned
Some might have followed the Exe of the Beholder remake by JackAsser.

It is now officially discontinued and replaced by "Shadowkeeper". Here is a first shirt movie of our new engine at work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsdNsf_HEpQ

Just a bad offscreen video, here is a shot at iPad 3 resolution, which shows the soft shadows and AO in higher detail:

shadow_full.jpg

1. Hatchi is free.
2. Shark Dash is not only GameLoft's most creative, original iOS offering, it's also fantastic. I've been having a blast with it.

Im doubling that shark dash opinion. Some of the solutions are very creative, loving it so far

Same here Manax. Very fun game.

When I said the same about the game, two days ago, (even less, only that it was not a rippoff like other games), people told me that I made the game or I was getting payed to defend it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I never bothered with Dungeon Raid until now, but it has killed my battery many times now, ha.

One thing I think is really amazingly implemented is the sound design. The audio feedback you get is so well done, it really goes a long way to immerse you. I like how no sound is exactly the same, as well, everything has a little different pitch to it.

I just decided to stop playing Sword and Sworcery, I was aparently about 50% through the game, but I just dont really understand all of the praise and appeal of it.

Dont get me wrong, the art is fantastic, and the sound is just as good, if not better. But i find it to be extremely boring. I enjoy adventure games, but this is a super barebones adventure game, basically the worst part about the game is the whole 'game' part of it, which is weird. I know im like a year late on all the S&S talk, but I just thought I would ask why people loved it so much? Just the overall graphics, sound and atmosphere im guessing?

I dunno, back to aquaria!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just decided to stop playing Sword and Sworcery, I was aparently about 50% through the game, but I just dont really understand all of the praise and appeal of it.

Dont get me wrong, the art is fantastic, and the sound is just as good, if not better. But i find it to be extremely boring. I enjoy adventure games, but this is a super barebones adventure game, basically the worst part about the game is the whole 'game' part of it, which is weird. I know im like a year late on all the S&S talk, but I just thought I would ask why people loved it so much? Just the overall graphics, sound and atmosphere im guessing?

I dunno, back to aquaria!

Atmosphere mostly I'd say. Plus that feeling of not knowing what was going to happen next. Stuff like following the bear in the dream world, and that odd feel to the game. Plus the soundtrack is godly. I totally understand not getting it though, it's for a very specific type of person. But I think that if you're the type of person that really digs the music, you should find stuff to love in the game too.

But yes, Aquaria is awesome too :)

coldfoot

Banned
Remember my rant about Galaxy On Fire and it's crappy on screen joystick? Well I found out that accelerometer controls transform that game from an unplayable broken mess to excellent mobile elite/freelancer clone that I've always wanted.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't know if Mage Gauntlet is the best loot whore game on iOS but it is definitely an awesome game worth playing. One of the best virtual pads there is.

To get back to his original point then, what ARE some of the best loot whoring games on iOS? Battleloot adventures definitely isn't, despite the name... How is Battleheart in that regards? Or any other games?

Thanks to the thread for the jubeat tip, nice. I wish there was some kind of a-list thread, giving best three per genre or something like that.

Pastry

Banned
To get back to his original point then, what ARE some of the best loot whoring games on iOS? Battleloot adventures definitely isn't, despite the name... How is Battleheart in that regards? Or any other games?
I don't think Battleheart has gear at all. Maybe Dungeon Hunter 2? It's a shame they took the series in an awful direction with 3.

japtor

When the iPhone comes attached to an analogue control pad, then this can happen.

Until then, no.
Last time I played Trials HD I went through the tracks with a stick (cause the gamepad and triggers ruined my wrists before...when playing for hours at a time). It's harder with digital controls but completely playable.
It might sound corny, but it's really all about having a positive mindset, and practice. I only play once a week at most and I've gotten to where I am over a six month period of barely playing. People who play more often can (and have) improved a lot faster.

It's also worth experimenting with markers to see which one works for you - at this point, I can only play using the fireworks and my timing suffers if I use any other marker. Eventually going to have to try and wean my way out of this though - a lot of Japanese arcade players seem to really like the flower.
Yeah I'm sure I could eventually do it, god knows I had a lot of trouble with Advanced for a while. The main issue is just the step up to Expert feels huge, similar thing happened to me with DDR on the iPhone really, like it's all just a blur and really hard to get over the initial hump.

And I use fireworks too! None of the other ones really worked for me, I think part of it is just the physical size of the screen buttons. On the arcade machine I guess the fuller patterns may work nicely but on the iPad it seems like it's harder to discern the timing and separate buttons cause it's just much smaller.
Are you on iPhone/iPod or iPad?

I've been trying out osu!stream off and on - still not quite sure what to think of it, really, but it's definitely a game. A lot of people like Cytus, but I find it boring simply because of how it easy it is to get the highest possible score in every song in the game. Miku Flick is cute but I don't think there's really any hooks to pull people into it if they're not already into Vocaloid music, and the price of admission is really high. There's also ReRave, which I haven't tried personally, but I haven't heard good things.

On the Japan side of things, you can get REFLEC BEAT plus (iPad only despite the name), which is sort of music game air hockey - really hard to describe without playing it. There's also taiko no tatsujin plus, which is just Taiko Drum Master. Both are free with more songs as IAP purchase.
Another one is "beat gather" or something, I think that was Japan only too. It worked off your own songs and did chart generation so it's not so hot but it's a nice diversion if nothing else.

Are the songs from the big artists the full songs or cut down to match the usual shorter length of Bemani stuff?
Deathsmiles has loot whoring!

...probably not the type of loot whoring you're looking for though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Marvel vs Capcom 2 is horrible. Looks ugly as shit on new ipad and doesnt even run well. What a waste of money. Beware.

Are you really surprised? They weren't going to re-draw the assets to be in HD.

Btw. Monsterflip is pretty fun. Reminds me of Bejeweled. Can just sit there for a hour flipping monsters. haha Thanks Mario.

SteveWD40

Painfully under represented genre. Having played all of the ones I could find I would vote:

Dungeon Hunter 2

It's the closest to the genre as we know it on PC and it has MP. It's got no soul or charm but there you go.

Synless

Painfully under represented genre. Having played all of the ones I could find I would vote:

Dungeon Hunter 2

It's the closest to the genre as we know it on PC and it has MP. It's got no soul or charm but there you go.
Will that new Infinity Blade game have MP by chance? It's really the only game im looking forward to on ios anytime soon.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The Quest is fucking fantastic.
Finished the main campaign a few months ago and am breaking before continuing on the many expansions.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The Quest is fucking fantastic.
Finished the main campaign a few months ago and am breaking before continuing on the many expansions.

I've never managed to complete any of it, haha. There's just SO much! I'm actually starting new and teleporting to the Cursed Chess Set expansion. It's a good level 1 expansion that really helps gear you out for the future! SO much fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom