• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
No iPad version for The Quest? What is this 2010?!

Sad panda...

Minsc

Gold Member
As someone who loves loot whoring games, is Mage Gauntlet a safe choice?

Maybe look in to CrimsonHeart, haven't played it myself, but it got a few good comments when it was mentioned here a while ago. It's got a ton of people addicted to the raiding/epic gear finding/super boss killing from what I read... I think it's one of the better 2d rpgs (smooth framerate) and very challenging.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Maybe look in to CrimsonHeart, haven't played it myself, but it got a few good comments when it was mentioned here a while ago. It's got a ton of people addicted to the raiding/epic gear finding/super boss killing from what I read... I think it's one of the better 2d rpgs (smooth framerate) and very challenging.

CrimsonHeart is INSANELY good. Best ARPG I've played on the appstore.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
No iPad version for The Quest? What is this 2010?!

Sad panda...

The game's a LOOOOOOT older than that.
The devs said that it wasn't going to happen since they'd need to redraw just about everything, and development has long since passed to their next RPG.
They only do maintenance releases occasionally in order to fix bugs and introduce support for the newest expansions (which are developed by third parties now).

Flunkie

Banned
When I said the same about the game, two days ago, (even less, only that it was not a rippoff like other games), people told me that I made the game or I was getting payed to defend it.
Well I should've backed you up if I were to see that, because it's definitely a nice little pearl in a sea of mediocrity. The game gets near everything right. Except maybe the IAPs, which are entirely optional (so far, and I'm about halfway through the second set of levels). The fluid aspect and the streamlined, slick nature of the game, I think, separates it from the rest of the pack.

Mrbob

Guess I'll have to check out Mage Gauntlet then. Even if it doesn't totally scratch that loot itch!

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried out the Lite version and it doesn't look to be a game for me. Seems like a low budget knock off Korean game. Plus the controls are a bit crap on Ipad. The digital stick and button options are way too far away from the edge of the device, and there is no way to remap their locations.

Edit: Too bad The Quest isn't ipad approved, or I'd get it. Don't play games on my ipod touch anymore.

Mithel

Neo Member
I know I'm a bad person for asking this, but here goes anyway: what are some time-management games that minimize or eliminate the need to interact with other people? I've gotten as much out of Tiny Tower as I can and I'm looking for something different.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I know I'm a bad person for asking this, but here goes anyway: what are some time-management games that minimize or eliminate the need to interact with other people? I've gotten as much out of Tiny Tower as I can and I'm looking for something different.
Anything from Kairosoft would probably do it for you.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Tempted, but the controls have me weary. SF4: Volt is super amazing, and unless MvC2's controls are equal or superior, I'll probably pass...

Dacvak

The controls work fine for the moves they're assigned to, but the problem is that parts of the moveset aren't assigned to any controls! So you essentially just can't do a regular hyper attack since its extremely hard to hit two punch buttons at once. Contrarily, you can swipe up on one of the buttons to perform all the hypers at once, which works fine. The problem is that that's not always your best option...

So, really, the controls work to an extent, but definitely don't allow for complete control over your character.

The only other big shame is that you have to unlock everything. In the world of iOS, game saves get replaced all the time, and people have multiple devices. I don't want to have to unlock everything on both my iPad and iPhone.

mvc2 impressions:

-controls are iffy. only played with the default controls, read the "instructions" carefully. can barely pull off specials, switch out characters, etc.

-30fps? seriously? its unacceptable for mvc2. if the vita can run umvc3 at 60fps while using the same quad core gpu as the new ipad (the iphone 4S and ipad 2 have the same gpu but dual core only), why cant 60fps be achieved for a decade old game that uses 2D sprites and barely animated 3D backgrounds? doesnt make sense to me.

-characters and costumes are locked from the start, so you have to buy them via points. a really stupid decision, and one that i hated on the console versions. everything should be unlocked like the psn/xbl version.

- its literally identical to the dreamcast/ps2/xbox version - menus, modes, and all.

- you can select between all 4 costumes right when picking a character. finally, not having to remember which button is which costume.

- i wanna take you for a ride. enough said.

- multiplayer is (surprisingly) present over bluetooth. wifi has to be off apparently though, no idea why.

overall, this is just a lazy/cash grab/barely passable port from capcom (surprise surprise). at $2.99, its not too bad, but really the controls are just the killer here. i can get over the locked characters and even the 30fps crap, but the controls are what makes this game borderline unplayable. it seriously makes me wonder how and why capcom ported this to the iphone when the 3DS and vita are clearly better options. well, the vita has umvc3, but even the 3DS would be an infinitely better choice than an iphone, especially for fighting games.

plc268

mvc2 impressions:

-controls are iffy. only played with the default controls, read the "instructions" carefully. can barely pull off specials, switch out characters, etc.

-30fps? seriously? its unacceptable for mvc2. if the vita can run umvc3 at 60fps while using the same quad core gpu as the new ipad (the iphone 4S and ipad 2 have the same gpu but dual core only), why cant 60fps be achieved for a decade old game that uses 2D sprites and barely animated 3D backgrounds? doesnt make sense to me.

-characters and costumes are locked from the start, so you have to buy them via points. a really stupid decision, and one that i hated on the console versions. everything should be unlocked like the psn/xbl version.

- its literally identical to the dreamcast/ps2/xbox version - menus, modes, and all.

- you can select between all 4 costumes right when picking a character. finally, not having to remember which button is which costume.

- multiplayer is (surprisingly) present over bluetooth. wifi has to be off apparently though, no idea why.

overall, this is just a lazy/cash grab/barely passable port from capcom (surprise surprise). at $2.99, its not too bad, but really the controls are just the killer here. i can get over the locked characters and even the 30fps crap, but the controls are what makes this game borderline unplayable. it seriously makes me wonder how and why capcom ported this to the iphone when the 3DS and vita are clearly better options. well, the vita has umvc3, but even the 3DS would be an infinitely better choice than an iphone, especially for fighting games.

I think you just answered your own question.

Wow, the MvC2 port is worse than I could've imagined.

Framerate seems sub-30 fps on my 4S if I'm being honest, and I haven't been able to pull off a single super. Plus I've encountered some graphical glitches with the backgrounds. Much worse than the SFIV adaptation, and not even worth 99c in its current state.

Gotta wash that taste of stank out of my mouth. Steer clear - instead buy Super Monkey Ball Sakura, which just received a superlative update (online multiplayer) on the same day Capcom squeezed out this turd.

Manax

When I said the same about the game, two days ago, (even less, only that it was not a rippoff like other games), people told me that I made the game or I was getting payed to defend it.

Your suggestions are what made me pick it up I was too late to support your claims at the time I apologise.
You just got ganged up on by some gameloft haters that probably dismissed your opinion before you even gave it, anyway thanks for the suggestion

Wow, the MvC2 port is worse than I could've imagined.

Framerate seems sub-30 fps on my 4S if I'm being honest, and I haven't been able to pull off a single super..

Sounds like its via an in game points system?

In game points, and to do a super you just tap the super button. If you have trouble pulling that off, then I don't know.

I think it is quite fun and the controls are well thought out. I agree performance could be better, it feels 'slow'. Hopefully they support it as much as SF4 and it keeps improving.

For now, still well worth the money when you consider you can mess around with all those characters for a couple of bucks.

Hero

Downloading Marvel vs. Capcom 2 now. So excite!

mvc2 impressions:

I paid £1.99 purely to annoy people with the character select music. It was worth it.

Come on, people. You're all part of the problem. Don't support Capcom's bad business practices.

SmokyDave

Come on, people. You're all part of the problem. Don't support Capcom's bad business practices.

I'll support pretty much anything that the big pubs stick on iOS.

I also don't consider this even remotely 'bad business'. It's a straight-up Dreamcast port with touch-screen controls for £1.99. You know exactly what you're getting.

There is no real problem, they made a fun little game that has some flaws and is not perfect, but hey, it only cost me $3 and that seems about right to me.

There is a time and a place to grind an axe

EYEL1NER

MvC2 is the first game I've bought and the first over $.99 I've bought in a while.
I need to play it on the iPad still, because it was a bit cramped in my phone, but I like it. I am having problems with 'Z' motions but I am sure it will be better on the iPad. I also keep accidentally switching characters when using the six-button controls.
But overall I'm happy with it. It's Mahvel, baby!

Bad business practices? Yes, making games I enjoy is so bad. Damn them for causing me to have so much fun with UMvC3, SF x Tekken, and the Dragon's Dogma demo. I will stop buying their games right away.

Aaron

Controls aren't bad once you customize them, but I wish I could use some kind of gamepad for this instead. I like that there's stuff to unlock again, though the framerate is a little odd.

EYEL1NER

Controls aren't bad once you customize them, but I wish I could use some kind of gamepad for this instead. I like that there's stuff to unlock again, though the framerate is a little odd.
The framerate didn't seem bad to me during the training stage while practicing but it did get worse when I started playing Arcade and there was shit moving everywhere in the background.

Hero

I also don't consider this even remotely 'bad business'. It's a straight-up Dreamcast port with touch-screen controls for £1.99. You know exactly what you're getting.

30 fps is a straight-up Dreamcast port?

Bad business practices? Yes, making games I enjoy is so bad. Damn them for causing me to have so much fun with UMvC3, SF x Tekken, and the Dragon's Dogma demo. I will stop buying their games right away.
Legitimate question: Did you buy Ghost Trick?

It's shit, but it cost less than my lunch. I'll pick my battles.
That's a marketing slogan that hasn't been used. "It's shit, but it costs less than your lunch!"

At any rate, the game Hope's Quest dropped down to free for both iPhone and iPad. Seems interesting, people say it's like Intelligent Cube.

EYEL1NER

Legitimate question: Did you buy Ghost Trick?
No, but I really want to, if that counts for anything.
I debate on it everytime it goes on sale on Amazon (same with 999), but I'm new to that genre of game. I only just recently bought the first Pheonix Wright game and am slowly working through it. And after that I have the first Prof Layton game to play.
One of these days soon I'll get it, probably when I can find work.

Hero

Fair point. I still can't feel remorse for spending £1.99 on this.
If the game was 60fps I wouldn't have anything negative to say about it. Maybe in a future update they can change this, I just think it's kind of silly that it runs so poorly even on iPhone 4s.
No, but I really want to, if that counts for anything.
I debate on it everytime it goes on sale on Amazon (same with 999), but I'm new to that genre of game. I only just recently bought the first Pheonix Wright game and am slowly working through it. And after that I have the first Prof Layton game to play.
One of these days soon I'll get it, probably when I can find work.

Alright, cool, good man. Phoenix Wright is certainly one my favorite game series of all time so hope you enjoy it!

Edit:

Jesus, did anyone see this game Be a Surgeon? It's pretty much a god damn rip off of Trauma Center.

EYEL1NER

Alright, cool, good man. Phoenix Wright is certainly one my favorite game series of all time so hope you enjoy it!
I've only finished the first case so far. And I haven't gotten that far in Layton.
When I get a job, I'll be buying the rest of the Attourney games, the other Laytons, 999, Ghost Trick, and whatever else I missed from not playing portable games for years and years. But without a job, I can't be buying games like I used to. I still pull up Amazon every now and then and look at how much money I spent last year with them and shake my head.

Edit:

Jesus, did anyone see this game Be a Surgeon? It's pretty much a god damn rip off of Trauma Center.
Nope, but I'm gonna look into it. I like the Trauma Center games.

If the game was 60fps I wouldn't have anything negative to say about it. Maybe in a future update they can change this, I just think it's kind of silly that it runs so poorly even on iPhone 4s.

Could do. Sf4 ran like shit when it was released too. But it recieved multiple updates to improve it *and* multiple new characters which were all free.

Say what you want about their recent releases on console, but capcom went above and beyond there so I'm happy to show a bit of support for this effort.

SteveWD40

I think Hero has a point, it seems to me that the Japanese opinion of the iPhone market is "easy money, just stick one guy and a macbook in a broom cupboard and we can make some of that Angry Birds money".

I remember seeing the pics of the guy porting FFT, he was working on what looked like a 5 year old macbook and it was just him.

Monster Hunter: lazy cash grab (menu's are a joke)
MGS: lazy cash grab (where is acid port at least?)
Resident Evil: you get the idea

99% of what Konami, Capcom etc... put on iOS is half thought out over priced and has had almost no work done on it. Very few developers there seem to respect the iOS market frankly.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

A proper Dreamcast port would run at 60 fps and not be filled with graphical glitches and severely compromised audio.

This is a complete mess of a game.

atre324

If you've got an ipad, pick up Tribez HD. It's a really awesome time management game with city building elements and lots of quests. I've been having a blast with it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-tribez-hd/id494254145?mt=8

Bought Mahvel on my iPhone. Bit shitty that you have to unlock the characters but having the dreamcast version on my Phone is fun for shits and giggles.

Early Verdict: Street Fighter actually worked, this does not... at all. I will have to try it on my iPad later.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Bought Mahvel on my iPhone. Bit shitty that you have to unlock the characters but having the dreamcast version on my Phone is fun for shits and giggles.

Early Verdict: Street Fighter actually worked, this does not... at all. I will have to try it on my iPad later.

Dude where has your Karen avatar gone?? My heart aches... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom