• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The JP Pikmin 3 Miiverse board is full of new screens

Please let this game do well. Just imagine how gorgeous pikmin 4 built from the groun up on wiiu will be. I eat my words they definitely did a big upgrade in 12 montths
We both know that even if this game does well they'll shelve it for another decade. Imagine Pikmin 4 with PS4 level graphics.

Frodo

zlCfzRDR92oR3Cnwg7

Such a pretty shot!

I need this game now! :D

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I was hoping for 60, but im starting to believe its 30fps.

Watch some off screen footage. You can usually tell if its 60 because of the frame blending.

If it means a better looking game, Ive become okay with this not being 60.

Mainly because this isnt like a platformer that really benefits from smooth gameplay.

Hmm so it turns out that there is conflicting information out there, but it seems like the game will be 30fps.

There are a couple article touting that the game will be 60, but this eurogamer video shows them doing a performance test on the game with 30fps as the base line and never once going above it, only occasionally dipping below.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
some of these shots are indeed good, expecially the last posted in the OP, but then again as long as Pikmin 3 maintains the same stellar gameplay i really don't care how cutting edge it will look

mantidor

I need this game.

It's hard to imagine Pikmin 2 was released almost 10 years ago, another month shouldn't be much but feels like eternity.

javac

Absolutely. I was responding to somebody that thought they were 'fake' because they look so good.

Ah yeah I read lots of them type of comments in this thread and similar threads. The game doesn't look out of the ordinary for a system like the Wii U at all. It's one of them games that's greater than the sum of its parts. Individually you'll see low res textures here and there but everything comes together amazingly well. A really sense of synergy between all the visuals and assets. That's not to say it doesn't have some great graphical effects going on either.

OryoN

I'm more amazed by the fact that this is the kind of images gamers are getting in-game, but Nintendo still can't get proper PR shots of their own games if their life depended on it. SMH.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm more amazed by the fact that this is the kind of images gamers are getting in-game, but Nintendo still can't get proper PR shots of their own games if their life depended on it. SMH.

Nintendo PR. It's a secret to everybody.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Dem screenshots. Wasn't planning to get this, just W101, but this thread just made me preorder.

Edit: Anyone remember that guy once saying Nintendo was unethical and immoral for some of the ground textures....lol good times :D

boiled goose

good with gravy
It is definitely an upgrade, but the terrible textures, lack of any AF, and the low poly count really hurt the overall look.

Also no AA.

It just looks inconsistent.

We have yet to see a Nintendo graphical powerhourse on WiiU. The games coming this year are all rooted on Wii or 3DS origins.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It looks fine. No RTS game has good looking ground textures, even on the technically superior PC.

Pikmin is not even an RTS. It is an action-adventure game where you use many units.
There is no economy, grand strategy, multiple group control, etc. that are all hallmarks of RTS.
Just like overlord, little king story, etc. It is not an RTS. at all.

On the same console, the wonderful 101 looks much better overall graphically.

Pikmin is not even an RTS. It is an action game where you use many units.

There is no economy, grand strategy, multiple group control, etc. that are all hallmarks of RTS.

Pikmin is an RTS. and W101 was built from the ground up for WiiU with a team familiar with HD development. Pikmin 3 started on the Wii and then transferred to the WiiU with a team still learning HD development. Huge difference there.

Mik2121

Pikmin is not even an RTS. It is an action-adventure game where you use many units.
There is no (...) multiple group control, etc. that are all hallmarks of RTS.
Just like overlord, little king story, etc. It is not an RTS. at all.

You haven't played the game, lol...

boiled goose

good with gravy
Pikmin is an RTS. and W101 was built from the ground up for WiiU with a team familiar with HD development. Pikmin 3 started on the Wii and then transferred to the WiiU with a team still learning HD development. Huge difference there.

Pikmin is not an RTS at all!
You are going to tell me that Pikmin is more similar to Starcraft or Age of Empires, than say metroid or Zelda?

No way.!!!

The different pikmin correspond to different abilities that open new paths in the world to explore. It is an action adventure game. If you think pikmin is an RTS, you have never played an RTS. It plays nothing like one.

You haven't played the game, lol...

I have played and beaten both Pikmin 1 and 2... :/
The ability to select different subgroups of pikmin (just like you can in overlord) is nothing like what you do in a RTS. It definitely uses elements of RTS's but gameplay wise it is totally an action adventure game.
RTS are about grand strategy, economy management and unit production.

Pikmin is about exploring a world and acquiring new abilities to open more paths. It is an action adventure game.

Saying Pikmin is an RTS is like saying Starcraft 2 is a shooter because there are guns.

zroid

Banned
The most apt description of Pikmin in my opinion is a micromanagement game. Incidentally, micromanagement is one of the hallmarks of the RTS genre, but not the only one. There is some 'strategy' in Pikmin (for example, choosing which Pikmin to take with you on a given outing) -- especially in this third entry, from what I understand -- but really it's a unique entity which plays like an RTS (in part), while being structured like an action/adventure title.

Pikmin is not even an RTS. It is an action game where you control many units.

There is an economy - it just isn't with traditional "currencies" such as gold or minerals. Felled enemies, as well as pellets, serve as the "currency" in Pikmin as they are all used in order to create more units (Pikmin). The Pikmin themselves can also serve as part of the economy as you have to manage them in order to prevent "extinction."

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "multiple group control," but if you mean controlling multiple groups at the same time, well, that's certainly possible in Pikmin 3 (with three different captains).

An action game where you control many units? That's The Wonderful 101, which as you mentioned may appear better graphically than Pikmin 3 because the team has experience working on HD systems, as well as the fact that The Wonderful 101 is going for a completely different art style than Pikmin 3.

The different pikmin correspond to different abilities that open new paths in the world to explore. It is an action adventure game. If you think pikmin is an RTS, you have never played an RTS. It plays nothing like one.

Different units don't open up new paths in RTS games? Different units excel at different things. This is not unique to Pikmin and is found in probably every single RTS.

Besides, it doesn't even matter if you don't consider it an RTS. Doesn't change the fact that the camera angle is one that is traditionally found in RTS games and as a result of that, most games which use that camera angle have poor ground textures.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Pikmin's an RTS, my friend. Not as deep as C&C, and Starcraft, yes, but its an RTS.

Play more Pikmin.

Tell me what of the core concepts of an RTS game pikmin possesses?

The most apt description of Pikmin in my opinion is a micromanagement game. Incidentally, micromanagement is one of the hallmarks of the RTS genre, but not the only one. There is some 'strategy' in Pikmin -- especially in this third entry, from what I understand -- but really it's a unique entity which plays like an RTS (in part), while being structured like an action/adventure title.

The micromanagement is akin to combat, if micromangagement is the most important aspect in RTS then DOTA is an RTS, which it really is not... even though it derived as a mod from one. It is structured like an action adventure game because it is one. Mechanics don't define a genre, core ideas do. Just like RE4 is an action game with horror elements (not a survival horror), Pikmin is an action adventure game with multiple units as a substitute for different abilities.

There is an economy - it just isn't with traditional "currencies" such as gold or minerals. Felled enemies, as well as pellets, serve as the "currency" in Pikmin as they are all used in order to create more units (Pikmin). The Pikmin themselves can also serve as part of the economy as you have to manage them in order to prevent "extinction."

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "multiple group control," but if you mean controlling multiple groups at the same time, well, that's certainly possible in Pikmin 3 (with three different captains).

An action game where you control many units? That's The Wonderful 101, which as you mentioned may appear better graphically than Pikmin 3 because the team has experience working on HD systems, as well as the fact that The Wonderful 101 is going for a completely different art style than Pikmin 3.

Different units don't open up new paths in RTS games? Different units excel at different things. This is not unique to Pikmin and is found in probably every single RTS.

Besides, it doesn't even matter if you don't consider it an RTS. Doesn't change the fact that the camera angle is one that is traditionally found in RTS games and as a result of that, most games which use that camera angle have poor ground textures.

There is no economy. The drops from enemies are akin to health or powerups in action adventure games, nothing at all like resource mining in RTS.

If pikmin is an RTS then so is the Wonderful 101. I am sure that enemies will drop stuff that lets you manage different stats and make certain choices.
Wonderful 101 is obviously not an RTS, it is an action game/ beat em up, where you control many units.

RTS games are about...strategy! in real time.
This generally means fighting other players or AI players with similar abilties (but different units or w.e)
Pikmin is not about strategy. It is about exploration and combat. I can play pikmin or batman AA when I want an action adventure. I would not play pikmin as a substitute to starcraft or command and conquer hahaha.

Tell me what of the core concepts of an RTS game pikmin possesses?

You listed one yourself. Multiple group control. Which is exactly what your doing here. You have 3 characters each controlling their own group of Pikmin. You manage one what does and decide what to do with the other others. You can leave the current group to gather fruit while you control the second group to go build a bridge over the river, then while they're doing that you can go to the third one to break down a wall.

Definition of an RTS game:

The participants position and maneuver units and structures under their control to secure areas of the map and/or destroy their opponents' assets. In a typical RTS, it is possible to create additional units and structures during the course of a game. This is generally limited by a requirement to expend accumulated resources. These resources are in turn garnered by controlling special points on the map and/or possessing certain types of units and structures devoted to this purpose. More specifically, the typical game of the RTS genre features resource gathering, base building, in-game technological development and indirect control of units.[4][5]

Pikmin covers several of those bases, Pikmin 3 more so than the first two.

There is no economy. The drops from enemies are akin to health or powerups in action adventure games, nothing at all like resource mining in RTS.

Akin to health or powerups in what way? Felled enemies and pellets literally create new Pikmin. How is that "nothing at all" like resource mining (the primary purpose of which is to create new units and structures)? If instead they created gold upon death in which you could purchase Pikmin, would that then be considered "like resource mining?"

zroid

Banned
The micromanagement is akin to combat, if micromangagement is the most important aspect in RTS then DOTA is an RTS, which it really is not... even though it derived as a mod from one. It is structured like an action adventure game because it is one. Mechanics don't define a genre, core ideas do. Just like RE4 is an action game with horror elements (not a survival horror), Pikmin is an action adventure game with multiple units as a substitute for different abilities.

MOBAs are considered a type of RTS game by most people, yes. I was not disagreeing with you either; the reason I don't call it an "RTS" personally is because I don't feel that adequately captures the essence of Pikmin. Nevertheless, when the fundamentals of a game are very strongly associated with something else, people tend to lump them into the same genre. It's normal, and accepted.

boiled goose

good with gravy
You listed one yourself. Multiple group control. Which is exactly what your doing here. You have 3 characters each controlling their own group of Pikmin. You manage one what does and decide what to do with the other others. You can leave the current group to gather fruit while you control the second group to go build a bridge over the river, then while they're doing that you can go to the third one to break down a wall.

Definition of an RTS game:

Pikmin covers several of those bases, Pikmin 3 more so than the first two.

You missed the key part.
There are no opponents in Pikmin hence no strategy....

substitute the control of the pikmin with a zelda ability and you can retain the core game.
You cannot do the same with starcraft or CC or AoE or TW, etc.

Saying that because you can control multiple units in Pikmin it is an RTS is akin to saying Zelda is a fighting game because you fight with a sword, or that GTA is a racing game because you can drive.

This was a derailing of the thread, so I'll stop. At least think about my points here, if you think I am completely wrong here then we can agree to disagree. Just like I argue pikmin is an AA, I will argue Smash is a fighting game, and Fallout 3 is an wRPG. Genres should be defined by core ideas and why you play, not a list of superficial mechanics. Pikmin definitely introduced a subgenre that took RTS elements and used them in a way suited for consoles, so not trying to take any credit from it. :)

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
You missed the key part.

substitute the control of the pikmin with a zelda ability and you can retain the core game.
You cannot do the same with starcraft or CC or AoE or TW, etc.

Saying that because you can control multiple units in Pikmin it is an RTS is akin to saying Zelda is a fighting game because you fight with a sword, or that GTA is a racing game because you can drive.

This was a derailing of the thread, so I'll stop. At least think about my points here, if you think I am completely wrong here then we can agree to disagree. Just like I argue pikmin is an AA, I will argue Smash is a fighting game, and Fallout 3 is an wRPG. Genres should be defined by core ideas and why you play, not a list of superficial mechanics. Pikmin definitely introduced a subgenre that took RTS elements and used them in a way suited for consoles, so not trying to take any credit from it. :)

You're literally the only person I've ever seen who says Pikmin is not an RTS. From the very first installment, they have always been referred to as RTS games. Because they are. Games in which you strategize in real-time using a group of malleable units. It is a different flavor than "traditional" RTS games, but that is irrelevant. The entire core of the game is built around using your units to strategize... in real time. Hence the genre.

No opponents is false. Also, the idea that no opponents somehow = "no strategy" is incomprehensible in and of itself. How did you arrive at that conclusion?

No. Just no. This makes it sound like you've never played Pikmin, honestly. Remove the Pikmin, group management, and multi-colored strategy, and you have the same game? Not even close man. How would you carry items? Do complex tasks like building bridges? Or any other of the actions that require many units? It would be Olimar running around a small overworld, surrounded by lots of things he is unable to interact with because of his size and relative weakness. Fun.

PrimeX

The pics are incredible. I don't know why the ground textures sometimes look awful and sometimes pretty good, but for this game I'll blame early development on Wii. Everything else...omg.
Preordered it last week and I'm really glad that Europe gets it on 26.

ivysaur12

Banned
At least think about my points here, if you think I am completely wrong here then we can agree to disagree.

You can't say "agree to disagree" when you're not talking about opinions, but something as tangible as Pikmin obviously being an RTS.

Also, literally the Wikipedia article on the series with a statement of fact that doesn't need to be cited because it's that obvious:

Pikmin (ピクミン Pikumin?) is a real-time strategy video game series designed by Shigeru Miyamoto and developed by Nintendo.

Genres Real-time strategy
Developers Nintendo EAD
Publishers Nintendo

C'mon now.

Top Bottom