• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Pompadour

At least one mode in KoF's online works consistently well. I can't claim the same for SFV.

The situation you're talking about is similar to how Battle Lounge was busted at SFV's launch except in SFV it was one broken mode where here every mode but one is busted.

And Party Vs. doesn't have some godlike netcode. It has a passable delay-based netcode which is just fine but nothing to write home about. It feels like SF4, basically.

Anyway, KOF's biggest flaw is clearly the online so I found it bizarre that's the thing you try and hold over SFV's head. Let's wait a week to see if the patch fixes the problems.

BadWolf

Ryo's raw EX fireball DM does 40% damage, that's more than Karate's EX super in XIII O_O

It definitely feels like they want you to use the fireball DM more with Ryo this time around, in combos too.

Definitely. Im holding off ranked until the fix comes out. Currently training up with yuri, robert and alice.

Alice looks so fun, I got her combos down in practice mode but got my butt kicked every time I tried her online -_-

Yuri seems to function quite a bit differently than her XIII version even though on the surface she mostly has the same move set.

An interesting thing about Yuri is that she can link a Cr. HP after two crouching LKs now, instead of just one LK like usual.

And Party Vs. doesn't have some godlike netcode. It has a passable delay-based netcode which is just fine but nothing to write home about. It feels like SF4, basically.

I'm in Canada and played party battle with US and JP players all weekend. The netcode wasn't passable, it was excellent.

Party mode definitely works better than the others but the netcode itself isn't really great from my experience. Every match has some kind of delay which makes for a very awkward experience. I've had better international matches in other fighters than I have with people living in my state, or nearby states, for this one.

It's certainly a step up from their previous games at least.

Rhapsody

Banned
Always wondered, what's usually the rule on how much hitstun an air normal has? Most games it's always the heaviest attacks that do more hitstun, but in KoF it's hard to tell. Are they equal for lights and heavies? Or is it just a case by case basis?

BadWolf

Always wondered, what's usually the rule on how much hitstun an air normal has? Most games it's always the heaviest attacks that do more hitstun, but in KoF it's hard to tell. Are they equal for lights and heavies? Or is it just a case by case basis?

Heavies and command normals usually have more hit stun than lights, you can seen this during quick max since it's a lot easier to continue your combo post activation after those than after lights.

Grifter

Entered the first of a couple week 1 tournaments last weekend, relying on old timey zoning. Realized Beni can't crush week 1 players (as) easily in this.

Was learning to fight against Love's range and aggro Kim on the fly, then ended with a couple sets against a Geese that super countered me a few times. Didn't expect that and seemed like an insta-kill each time.

I've found over the years that in this series (and GG to some extent), tech can get crazy but solid space control can keep you competitive.

Yes, consistently worse.

I see it putting a lot of people off, especially when it comes to the size of the community later on. Most fighting games see a drop off and this one is going to be sooner rather than later, affecting offline scene numbers and interest where it will be relegated to guilty gear niche numbers. pfft/

Really need to get better at quick maxing off crouching lights and linking normals in this game. I can't just rely on hop-ins and close C/D to start my combos, I miss too many opportunities to punish unsafe moves.

I played my first real set of games online yesterday (amazing connection btw, felt very close to offline) and I would do fine until the guy would get to his King on anchor and just tear me apart lol. I would notice opportunities to get in some damage but I always failed to capitalize. Chaining crouching light attacks could only get me so far...

BadWolf

Really need to get better at quick maxing off crouching lights and linking normals in this game. I can't just rely on hop-ins and close C/D to start my combos, I miss too many opportunities to punish unsafe moves.

I played my first real set of games online yesterday (amazing connection btw, felt very close to offline) and I would do fine until the guy would get to his King on anchor and just tear me apart lol. I would notice opportunities to get in some damage but I always failed to capitalize. Chaining crouching light attacks could only get me so far...

Which characters are you using? If you can't do quick max off of lights atm then look into what combos your characters can do from lights without quick max, many can do solid damage by just canceling the light into a special and then into a super from that. Some can also combo into their command normals from lights.

Oh and make sure to put King as the dummy in training mode and practice punishing the situations you missed in that match. Did that yesterday with Love Heart and the next LH player I played wasn't a happy camper :p

Slaythe

I see it putting a lot of people off, especially when it comes to the size of the community later on. Most fighting games see a drop off and this one is going to be sooner rather than later, affecting offline scene numbers and interest where it will be relegated to guilty gear niche numbers. pfft/

You do realize this would be lucky to get Guilty Gear numbers.

Let's see where this is at in 6 months.

Which characters are you using? If you can't do quick max off of lights atm then look into what combos your characters can do from lights without quick max, many can do solid damage by just canceling the light into a special and then into a super from that. Some can also combo into their command normals from lights.

Oh and make sure to put King as the dummy in training mode and practice punishing the situations you missed in that match. Did that yesterday with Love Heart and the next LH player I played wasn't a happy camper :p

Good advice, I'll look into it. I'm still pretty far from having a certified team, but I tend to use Athena, Robert, Sylvie, Kula, and Ralf quite a lot (still a lot of characters I have yet to touch at all). I'll dedicate some lab time on figuring out what lights are special cancelable on a King dummy to kill two birds with one stone lol. Thanks!

Seijuro

After going through story mode a few times I felt confident trying online for the first time. Ranked, because how bad can it be, right?
Very bad actually, a very, very frustrating affair when you realize neither you nor your opponent can pull of the stuff either of you would normally. Playing underwater like in the bad old days of online gaming.
Lost three times, and the guy I would have beat ragequit on me. Well, back to story mode and finishing up all the premade teams und special team combinations. Hope the patch is coming soon.

qcf x2

You've been trying to shit on this game for a while. Why not play it instead? It's the most fun fighting game out right now, and a rare modern example of a company's flagship title being treated with care and personal touch.

The "guilty gear niche numbers. /pfft" line reeks of some sort of psuedo elitism concerning a genre that is already entirely niche. I don't get it, if people enjoy GG why do you poo poo it? Why do you want to poo poo KoF? Does that make you feel better about the state of games you actually like?

What a world. An SNK fighter and a Capcom fighter released in the same year and the SNK one's netcode seems to be more consistent.

I'll hold off on the in depth netcode analysis because my internet in general has been pretty crappy the last couple of days, but XIV definitely has a vastly (and I do mean vastly) superior UI / lobby design. Tangentially, if we were to get a CvS3 at this point I would want SNK to develop it, and that's something I wouldn't have said as recently as a year ago.

After going through story mode a few times I felt confident trying online for the first time. Ranked, because how bad can it be, right?
Very bad actually, a very, very frustrating affair when you realize neither you nor your opponent can pull of the stuff either of you would normally. Playing underwater like in the bad old days of online gaming.
Lost three times, and the guy I would have beat ragequit on me. Well, back to story mode and finishing up all the premade teams und special team combinations. Hope the patch is coming soon.

Do Party VS, it works.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

There's a patch pending approval that should greatly improve the online quality.

BadWolf

The way damage scaling works is making me reconsider how to approach Angel. Long combos seem like a waste of effort if you are planning to use supers.

Good advice, I'll look into it. I'm still pretty far from having a certified team, but I tend to use Athena, Robert, Sylvie, Kula, and Ralf quite a lot (still a lot of characters I have yet to touch at all). I'll dedicate some lab time on figuring out what lights are special cancelable on a King dummy to kill two birds with one stone lol. Thanks!

No prob, and those characters can definitely cancel their lights into specials. Sylvie and Kula in particular even have far standing LKs which they can cancel into special and then super.

If I were playing Sylvie one of my main combos would be cr. LK, cr. LK, cr. LK, st. LK, QCF+P, kick super (the one where she slams them to the ground). It's also easy in that the motion for the electric and the super overlap so after doing QCF+P for the electric special you just have to do QCF+K for the super instead of the entire motion.

Do Party VS, it works.

There's a patch pending approval that should greatly improve the online quality.

Yeah there's really no reason to play any online mode other than party battle until the patch.

Tried online practice with my pal for the first time just now, and as expected it runs at ~75% speed or so. Patch can't come soon enough.

(Though it was a surprisingly decent and relaxing way to try out some character's ranges and button interactions, ha ha)

Amedo310

14206014_10153959787454576_2247225123778882551_o.jpg

This is awesome. Click three times to enlarge image on PC.

tribal24

Banned
Party mode is so fun in this game its one of the things i wish they added in SFV. Yeah the online is definitely up to SFV in terms of net code but party mode works good compared to others. Do we have any gaf rooms up for party mode at the moment?

Been reading some people's thoughts on meter management on Twitter earlier. Seems that people believe spending all of your meter on a single combo (Climax Canceling) is only worth it if you really want to finish someone off and you're sure it'll kill. Having some meter left over for gaurd cancel maneuvers is wise in a serious match.

Or maybe I'm late and everyone already knew this? lol.

Hyun Sai

Been reading some people's thoughts on meter management on Twitter earlier. Seems that people believe spending all of your meter on a single combo (Climax Canceling) is only worth it if you really want to finish someone off and you're sure it'll kill. Having some meter left over for gaurd cancel maneuvers is wise in a serious match.

Or maybe I'm late and everyone already knew this? lol.

Well, there are many new players, so it's always useful to tell them ^^.

Dubz

Came to this thread to see if I finally try a KoF game. Online sucks is what I'm reading. Oh well maybe 15 will get it right.

how long does it normally take for patches to get approved?
Sony says they want people to stop migrating to pc with but they need to focus on sorting stuff like this first rather than making a powerful console. Patch would have been out as soon as they finished it if it was pc.

Alice looks so fun, I got her combos down in practice mode but got my butt kicked every time I tried her online -_-

Yuri seems to function quite a bit differently than her XIII version even though on the surface she mostly has the same move set.

An interesting thing about Yuri is that she can link a Cr. HP after two crouching LKs now, instead of just one LK like usual.

Alice has terrible normals and most of her moves leave her open. Im mainly attacking, with cr.Lk - st.lk -rekkas.

Fwd lk - max mode - hp, fwd lk, ex-rekkas, ex dp with kicks, or mix in a special.

I never knew yuri could combo her cr hp. Ill give it a try when i get home.

I'm sad Antonov is so whack cuz he's pretty cool :(

He's one of my favourite new characters, especially since he looks like Triple H lol.

But yeah, he's wack. His light normals cant be canceled and his st/cr hp and hk have to much start up.

Air normals are also bad. Still a super kool guy though.

Anyone know if there is a kof 14 app? Like a frame data app or general app etc.

He's one of my favourite new characters, especially since he looks like Triple H lol.

But yeah, he's wack. His light normals cant be canceled and his st/cr hp and hk have to much start up.

Air normals are also bad. Still a super kool guy though.

Anyone know if there is a kof 14 app? Like a frame data app or general app etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if one were to come out. Might not be as quick to show as the SFV ones were though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
How's the online? Planning on picking this up on the first if it's playable no one local to play so pretty good online is a must

BadWolf

How's the online? Planning on picking this up on the first if it's playable no one local to play so pretty good online is a must

Party battle = awesome

Other modes = broken, there are bugs which are causing a lot of problems

SNK has acknowledged the bugs and has prepared the patch, it has been submitted to Sony for approval.

If you get it now then just stick to party battle, otherwise wait for the patch.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Party battle = awesome

Other modes = broken, there are bugs which are causing a lot of problems

SNK has acknowledged the bugs and has prepared the patch, it has been submitted to Sony for approval.

If you get it now then just stick to party battle, otherwise wait for the patch.

At the moment flawed, would be best to ask after this patch hits that's supposed to hit soon'ish.
Thanks I'll hold on to some cash to see how things turn out post patch

Exr

Yeah I was really excited for him and Xanadu but I cant really get much going with either of them. Im convinced Xanadu sucks. Can anybody reccomend me any good Maximas to watch?

qcf x2

My god Love Heart can wreck shit.
She can do 2/3rds your health OFF OF A TRADE.

Credit to Francisco Ponce for posting this on the KOF tournament players facebook group.

LOVE HURT. TIL her stomp hits OTG. How did I not think of that? I'd been using it as a range extender from C to link into everything else. She's so fun though, EX juggle punch linking from lights is almost comically strong.

how long does it normally take for patches to get approved?
Sony says they want people to stop migrating to pc with but they need to focus on sorting stuff like this first rather than making a powerful console. Patch would have been out as soon as they finished it if it was pc.

They have to test it to make sure it doesn't destroy any PS4s, I'm pretty sure the patch will be out by the end of the week. I think for a console game having the patch hit a week later is not bad, considering the game itself loads.

I'm gonna mess around with Ant later on. People say/said Xanadu was wack but I think he's got potential.

Thanks I'll hold on to some cash to see how things turn out post patch

Always a good idea. We're pretty confident the patch will get things right though, since Party VS (the mode that works) has some fairly impressive netcode allowing people from all over to have solid matches.

stn

Is using Geese's parry move as an AA feasible? I have my thoughts but I was hoping to hear from someone more experienced in KOF play.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is using Geese's parry move as an AA feasible? I have my thoughts but I was hoping to hear from someone more experienced in KOF play.

He has an air parry, so why not? It's not something you greedily rely on, but using it as a thing to put people on notice, so that they stop jumping in with Normals Abuse is a solid strat.

Geese can get parries off during pressure strings pretty nicely, and his SDM counter hits like a truck and guards his entire body CS Sweeps, Jump-ins, everything "physical" thing. His footsie normals ain't all that great, so his parries are even more important than they'd be if he had a far reaching st.B or such.

Top Bottom